Anyone else got this problem with Tena Slip Ultima Active Fit?

badger50

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
So, over the years I've generally really liked Tena Slip Maxi as a go to everyday product. Then a few years ago they brought out the Slip Ultime Active Fit (PE Backed), which was great (price, fit, absorbency etc).

I received a new case a week or two ago. Having used a few to be sure, I can confirm that the plastic is useless. There must be tiny holes all over it. The outside feels wet as soon as you've used it. Tena have destroyed what was a great product.

Anyone else had this issue?

Sounds like a SAP layering issue, sap crystals are pretty rigid when dry and if theres not a layer of pulp fluff between then crystals and backing the crystals will migrate and set themselves into the plastic causing pin holes, I'd write to tena and let them know of this issue, you might get a free coupon, send them the upc code because that has batch info within it.

I will defend Tena a LOT
...you probably had a bad bag?

Reactions: KrankyPants
I had the same problems w/ the Ultima as well. Friends of mine don't. So it seems like it might be related to batches or location of production? ...I mostly use the Maxi w/o problems.

Thanks for the feedback, interesting that the quality seems to vary between batches. It's always disappointing when things you like don't stay the same. I've got a whole case of these, so I'll contact Tena and the company I bought them from to see if they can exchange the full packs for another batch.

Tenas always used to be a bit prone to pinhole leaks. I haven’t had many issues recently but just by coincidence did have one yesterday, I was kind of pressing on the front as I re-wet it sitting down, and wasn’t wearing anything over the top, which perhaps explains why I caused the leak and noticed it!

I use the Ultima Active Fit regularly and so far have not had pinhole issues, although I buy in large quantities infrequently so my newest stock was made at least 3 months ago. I am getting round to placing another order so might buy one pack or case to test first. My main experience of SAP-induced pinholes was with iD, which I moved to after the definitive Tena Slip was discontinued, but gave up on after leaking in public. On those, you could feel the escaped SAP crystals against the backsheet in the faulty batches. If I ever had pinholes on the older Tena product, I never noticed them. I still have a few cases and although the Ultima is a more absorbent nappy, the plastic is weaker and does not hold its shape as well. I'll report if I have any concerns about the next batch once I've tested them.

Now you mention it, on one of them there was a stiff rough spot on the front. Almost like sandpaper texture - that must be a clump of SAP pushed hard against the shell. They also seem to be compressing them harder and harder in the packs. This latest case of 3 packs had lots of room for the packs to move around in the box before I opened any of the packs. I wonder what they are like straight of the production line before they get compressed?

The Tena strategy is, slowly degrade quality so people are forced to buy more products. All big companies do that. They call it enhancements, increasing the price but not the performance. Compare modern products with their equivalents 10;years ago and see the difference.

ChocChip said:
Tenas always used to be a bit prone to pinhole leaks.
I used to find that with the old tenaslip maxi.
I think it's just because they try to make a discreet (whilst dry) product with loads of SAP.

Currently experiencing this issue with my Ultimas. Kind of sucks, but I only wear at home so it's not a crazy issue for me. Just put yesterday's t-shirt down before I sit somewhere. Never had this issue with anything before (or my last bag of them) but seems like an issue with every one of them in this bag. Pretty sure it's the SAP as well, as been said before. Running my hands over a dry one, I can definitely feel the "sharp" SAP crystals there. Kind of a risk ordering these I guess, lot of potential to happen in shipping since I'm in the USA. Oh well, other than that, I have been a huge fan of Tena Slips for a long tiime.

Reactions: thickdiapers
Back