Any railroad computer strategy games around anymore?

CptKirk

Disabled veteran,"MOTORHEAD"PROFESSIONAL Mechanic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I'm not much of a "gamer" but MAN I used to LOVE the RR Tycoon games, ESPECIALLY playing live with others. Is there anything like that out there today? Does amnyone still play any or the RR Tycoon games? If so, PLEASE let me know. I've been sort of looking and have been quite disappointed in what I find!

CptKirk said:
I'm not much of a "gamer" but MAN I used to LOVE the RR Tycoon games, ESPECIALLY playing live with others. Is there anything like that out there today? Does amnyone still play any or the RR Tycoon games? If so, PLEASE let me know. I've been sort of looking and have been quite disappointed in what I find!
I don't know about network railroad games, but I do know of a railroad simulator that you play and it is navigable completely by sound. I love the game myself. It is called Tube Sim (Sim for Simulator,) and it is for the blind; however, I think the sighted would find it amusing because you listen to what is happening to the right and left of you on your headphones, and depending on what sound queue you are looking for, you can get from Point A. to Point B. You might want to download Tube Sim and check it out.

I have not seen anything along that lines in a long time. They had those and the roller coater games. I bet you could find them on uTorrent.

WTF is utorrent?

• Haha
Reactions: BBBen and Diaperman95
CptKirk said:
WTF is utorrent?
Like a modern Napster. Shareware. I haven't used it in years. But you can find about anything but you also are very likely to pickup a virus or spyware if you do not have good protection.

Maybe you'd enjoy building an HO train layout. It does take some space but it can be a lot of fun. They have a lot of electronics that can control the layout, making the switches change when they should. You can also segment the tracks for which get current and which don't. I had a small layout like that (8 x 4 foot) but it's in storage do to not having the space. A three manual digital pipe organ took that space.

I started the layout when I was in high school. It was fun making the scenery, building bridges and all the houses and stations. They sell wooden kits for the boxcars, caboose, etc. I still have mine. It was something I really enjoyed.

Reactions: Chrissie, wetaccident and BBBen
dogboy said:
Maybe you'd enjoy building an HO train layout. It does take some space but it can be a lot of fun. They have a lot of electronics that can control the layout, making the switches change when they should. You can also segment the tracks for which get current and which don't. I had a small layout like that (8 x 4 foot) but it's in storage do to not having the space.

I started the layout when I was in high school. It was fun making the scenery, building bridges and all the houses and stations. They sell wooden kits for the boxcars, caboose, etc. I still have mine. It was something I really enjoyed.
They are done. My dad has a 2 story dutch barn style work shop. The entire second floor is about a $15k RR ran by a computer. He is really into it an spent a lot on them. He did not use the digitrak stuff he built his own software. Pretty cool to watch 7 or 8 going at one time.

If you like model rr's Checkout this place! lots more videos than this one too.

• Love
Reactions: dogboy, CptKirk and BBBen
MiWuLa 🥰 - definitly its worth then you are in germany. But be prepared and sell your dated tickets before ypu are in Hamburg. MiWuLa had more visitors then the beautiful castle of Ludwig in Neuschwanstein/ Bavaria🙆
And the Europapark had build there in Hamburg a VR-Experience, you can jump in the miniature world of MiWuLa. You definitly need time to visit (4h and more) and also non enthusiasts get their fun. There are so many buttons to activate little scenes in the model-wow🥰 (sorry, then i hear MiWuLa my hormones play with me 😂)

But dont try out our railroad system - you might strand in a city or come to late. DB is horrible at the moment.

To your question: Railroad Tycoon stll existd on Nintendo switch. I also liked Transport Tycoon. While iam child of the 80s, i like the old graphics in games - but the programmer always make more realistic, 3d based, complexer... Hey tycoons in the beginings were so good - you only could build without thinking too much of everything.🙈 Nowadays you have to be the manager of evry city in the game.

And on Switch i found a game you can build your own wooden train system "Tracks" - quite a Little little fun 👶

And for fun on mobile phone there is a game called "mini metro". Dont expect too much. You "only" have to connect stations the best way to transport people from on to another point. But it could be fast a addiction.

The last simulator game i played was "Planet Coaster". Nowadays its a older simulator game for themeparks, but definitly worth it. You can construct your perfect own world- and there are also trains included. 🚂🚄🚅🚆🚇🚊🚝🥰

For real visits: Europe has a lot of Train museums and there are a lot of museum track you can drive with realy old trains. I.e. Hogwarts Express - the Jacobite in Scotland. Or in Nürnberg you can experience the Adler the first train in germany. Or in netherlands the spoorwerkmuseum with a extra darkride to get in the world of trains. ...

🚆 chu chuuuu - no i mean have a good day 🙋🧸🦖🚂

Reactions: Diaperman95
I still play TTDX.
And I've some line-supervisor simulator.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95 and BBBen
BBBen said:
MiWuLa 🥰 - definitly its worth then you are in germany. But be prepared and sell your dated tickets before ypu are in Hamburg. MiWuLa had more visitors then the beautiful castle of Ludwig in Neuschwanstein/ Bavaria🙆
And the Europapark had build there in Hamburg a VR-Experience, you can jump in the miniature world of MiWuLa. You definitly need time to visit (4h and more) and also non enthusiasts get their fun. There are so many buttons to activate little scenes in the model-wow🥰 (sorry, then i hear MiWuLa my hormones play with me 😂)

But dont try out our railroad system - you might strand in a city or come to late. DB is horrible at the moment.

To your question: Railroad Tycoon stll existd on Nintendo switch. I also liked Transport Tycoon. While iam child of the 80s, i like the old graphics in games - but the programmer always make more realistic, 3d based, complexer... Hey tycoons in the beginings were so good - you only could build without thinking too much of everything.🙈 Nowadays you have to be the manager of evry city in the game.

And on Switch i found a game you can build your own wooden train system "Tracks" - quite a Little little fun 👶

And for fun on mobile phone there is a game called "mini metro". Dont expect too much. You "only" have to connect stations the best way to transport people from on to another point. But it could be fast a addiction.

The last simulator game i played was "Planet Coaster". Nowadays its a older simulator game for themeparks, but definitly worth it. You can construct your perfect own world- and there are also trains included. 🚂🚄🚅🚆🚇🚊🚝🥰

For real visits: Europe has a lot of Train museums and there are a lot of museum track you can drive with realy old trains. I.e. Hogwarts Express - the Jacobite in Scotland. Or in Nürnberg you can experience the Adler the first train in germany. Or in netherlands the spoorwerkmuseum with a extra darkride to get in the world of trains. ...

🚆 chu chuuuu - no i mean have a good day 🙋🧸🦖🚂
I would love to go see that layout. But I live in the middle of the US.

Theres Transport Fever 2 which is teally good imo, especially with modded trains! :D

dogboy said:
Maybe you'd enjoy building an HO train layout. It does take some space but it can be a lot of fun. They have a lot of electronics that can control the layout, making the switches change when they should. You can also segment the tracks for which get current and which don't. I had a small layout like that (8 x 4 foot) but it's in storage do to not having the space. A three manual digital pipe organ took that space.

When I was little I belonged to a HO RR club. Was amazing, but we moved. Never could find a local club. Then all of a sudden, a local news article talked about a club here doing a holiday display with O gauge. Had no idea they existed, but haven’t had a chance to check it out. My parents still have my trains but I lack the space for a setup or room. It would be neat to get back into but I think it’s something I may have to give up. A sim would be great. Train Simulator might fit the bill.

Sounds like someone made an open source implementation of Transport Tycoon called OpenTTD. Looking more into it, there are several train simulators out but many are money grabs. It’s mostly
Driving trains. Steam has several on discount right now.

For those who don't need 3D graphics to enjoy armchair model railroading, Trainplayer.com offers what I consider a good and reasonably priced experience, including an unlimited free trial. Closest thing to the Lionel train layout I had as a boy.

mattyd said:
Sounds like someone made an open source implementation of Transport Tycoon called OpenTTD. Looking more into it, there are several train simulators out but many are money grabs. It’s mostly
Driving trains. Steam has several on discount right now.

Open TTD use base of TTDX, but you can download bunch of real themes, trains, road vehicles...

Reactions: giaci9 and BBBen
Diaperman95 said:
I would love to go see that layout. But I live in the middle of the US.

here is a 360 degree drive through some parts of the miwula

Reactions: Diaperman95
I play Train Station Classic and finished Train Station 2 by Pixel federation.

The only drawback to Train Station 2 is the amount of money you have to spend on gems to stay competitive.

It was fun at first but as they upgrade every time the cost went up with it two.
IT took me 3 years to finish the game and most players get pissed off and leave around 6 months or about level 200 out of 899.

I play train station classic now and just do when ever. So far I have spent way less on this game then train station 2.

egor said:
I play Train Station Classic and finished Train Station 2 by Pixel federation.

The only drawback to Train Station 2 is the amount of money you have to spend on gems to stay competitive.

It was fun at first but as they upgrade every time the cost went up with it two.
IT took me 3 years to finish the game and most players get pissed off and leave around 6 months or about level 200 out of 899.

I play train station classic now and just do when ever. So far I have spent way less on this game then train station 2.
Looking at reviews on steam for several different Train games, people complain about money grabs. I do wonder if there is a lot of licensing costs as well for some of the stuff that makes it pricey.

mattyd said:
Looking at reviews on steam for several different Train games, people complain about money grabs. I do wonder if there is a lot of licensing costs as well for some of the stuff that makes it pricey.
Not that I am aware of. Besides Pixel posted a news article about the millions that they made for the year. The group of users that I was in went major negative about the upgrade and gem "price" increase they included.

CptKirk said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Railway Empire yet. I've never played it (nor RR Tycoon, for that matter), but it's a thing, and it's on sale on Steam right now, as are all of its expansions. It's probably also on sale on Xbox and other platforms, too. Sales like this are often multi-platform. It appears that multiplayer in this game is co-op only, and may only be offline multiplayer, with another person at your computer, not sure. It doesn't seem that people like the co-op, that's for sure. One Steam forum thread mentioned another upcoming (as of 2019) game called Railroad Corporation that would have multiplayer, but who knows what happened with that, I haven't checked.

The Wikipedia article gives a bare-bones explanation of Railway Empire:

It also appears Railway Empire 2 is a thing. Not sure if that has multiplayer.

Also, RR Tycoon is still a thing. Someone already mentioned it being on Switch, not sure if it's on other platforms at all.

I will also agree that you might enjoy building an HO-scale model railroad. It's gotten a bit pricey (I regrettably need to start building mine again from scratch; all I have left of my old layout are some wagons and locomotives), but it's great fun.

As a side note... I suggest designing it from the start to be something you can dismantle and transport. Mine was a simple rectangular wooden table with removable legs, and the table itself was four modular sections bolted together so it could be separated for transport if needed. Getting the track and everything separated would be a bit more complex, but doable. If designing it again (which I hope to, eventually), I'd make sure each section has four legs of its own, so it can be turned into a long table or an L-shaped table as needed for whatever space it ends up in. You'd have to redo the track layout, but at least you wouldn't need a new table.

I'm curious, has anyone here ever played a game called Trans-Con! before? I grew up playing that. It was a Lionel-sponsored PC game, somewhat similar in nature to the RR Tycoon games (but really focused on building the railroad without running out of money...little to no focus on running trains), but meant to be educational. Think Oregon Trail, but with trains. Various criminals and disasters would also disrupt things (oh, right, I think they'd stolen the golden spike), and they had various minigames to catch them and such. You could even interrogate them in a jail cell, complete with a valve you could open to flood the cell with helium, prompting all the hardened criminals to panic in high-pitched voices. Never mind the whole "helium will displace oxygen" thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy and BBBen
Back