Allergic response to certain brands

ParaRomeo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I tried to search for few keywords but nothing came up.

My current go to diaper has more pro's vs con's or so I thought. I was wondering if anyone has had similar and what they did. I will add my diapers are paid for by an insurance of sorts through a waiver program which is renewed yearly so switching brands because of the waiver isn't easy and usually if it works stick with it. So one of my issues with my current diaper which is NS Supreme is the for me where the inner leg guard is it has caused pressure to point I legit have what wound care clinic calls a skin flap it's basically caused an indent in my skin or a channel channel where the inner leg guard is. But it isn't a pressure sore nor anything bad per them I may need surgery to remove it but besides what I will describe below no other major issues. I had small issues like they are super stiff out of package where using Abena as reference really isn't but as long as I fluffed the NS prior to use I found they worked quite well and even if I personally had/have an issue it's a brand I would and do recommend.

The other issue is I have developed rashes that sometimes don't seem like they get better unless I switch diapers. Little background I am paralyzed and dual IC, I also have an issue with my immune system so before I knew that any bad rashes I would throw a Foley Catheter in and go diaper free I would wear a pad of sorts Incase of Bowel IC but where my Bowel IC only happened at night I would only need bowel protection at night and something if the cath leaked(which was small amounts) but after many UTI's and hospitals. Though we stopped straight Cathing all cathing was deemed to risky. Normally to midigate rashes at home I would use cloth backed or a breathable diaper and various creams including ones for yeast based rashes. With this my rashes went away. But I always noticed if I used a NS Supreme at night or during the day I developed bad rashes which I chocked up to plastic backed not breathable.

About 6 months ago I really started to look & watch and the most severe part of the rahes I had weren't in either area covered by diaper or weren't exposed to long periods of time of potential wetness so my inner & upper thighs or where wings are. At first I thought it was potentially powder as I used it mainly outside my diaper area even though paralyzed or not walking cut back on friction and sweating. Than thought wipes and tried a few it wasn't until recently I used various diapers except for NS Supreme that the key areas I was having issues went away. But because of cost I ran out but like recently I wore various brands and I had meeting I had to go to and really didn't have trust in other brands as I did the NS I do occasionally use Rears white one but one of those times it wouldn't been a waste skin was great but when I changed out of the NS those key areas where super red and inflamed.

I originally used to wear only Abena but few years ago there was talks of potentially stopping plastic backed so I switch brands and have noticed these 2 main issues. With Abena now creating their comfort line which includes the plastic backed ones I may switch back if I am able to.

But I was wondering if it was just me which happens or has any ever noticed a potential allergic or some kind of reaction to a certain brand of diapers. Their wasn't much info on the web for adults but did look at reactions to diapers for Babies & Infants and the rashes I been having are near identical to those that had some kind of reaction to a certain brand. Where I am little lost is yes I have minor rashes within the diaper area but worse else where and it's only this brand so like I was able to try few packs of Abena no issue where I wear Rearz no issues but plastic backed Northshore I have issues.

So my question is sort of complex but simple have you ever had a reaction to a certain brand of diapers and also do you rotate brands or usually stick to one once you find what works. I didn't know if like say rash creams me personally I have found they work better if I use one brand for say 2 months than switch an so on. For me and basic protection and treatment I use Balmex or Design, but occasionally use a natural brand and also.a.spray kind but for severe rashes use calmoseptine or equivalent. But found rotating them works the best for me. I didn't know if diapers could potentially be the same long term with exception on some cloth diapers never had really any issues with them but they aren't a long term solution.

I have heard this before not sure what is causing it. But we do stock the plastic-backed Abena diapers on our site.

Reactions: ParaRomeo
RearzJacob said:
I have heard this before not sure what is causing it. But we do stock the plastic-backed Abena diapers on our site.
Jacob I appreciate the response, though not everyday use Rearz Inspire+ is a fantastic product. I mainly use for special uses but it's something I have used for many yrs and will continue to buy.

As for the Abena I do appreciate the heads up and will definitely check it out. Before I ask my insurance if possible to switch back even though I have bought a pack I may potentially get a case just to make sure they work for my needs. I can say with great certainly if they allow the switch unfortunately they have contracted suppliers in the US but I will continue to make private purchases when needed.

Much appreciated

Reactions: Abdlchriscrinkle
Yes you can get an allergic response to certain brands, sometimes a brand you used for years.

I used to use attends all the time, that was my go-to diaper, a cheap middle of the road diaper that i could put a stuffer in if need be. I mean i wore them for like 10 years.

They must have changed the chemicals or something at some point and every time i would wear one, my entire crotch would break out into a red hot rash that no amount of rash cream could help. I would quit wearing and it would go away…. Thus i changed brands to Abena,

This is interesting. I do get a rash when changing brands but goes away in days.

Last edited:
I find that the elastics of certain brands cause me to break out in hives.

Reactions: ParaRomeo and Jorelaxed
I appreciate all the responses.

I was wondering as DNH mentioned if something changed in the product or was a scheduled change, but was thinking about it the other day like the product looks the same & found it to be weird to have an issue after using it for this long. But also wondering where it's made somewhere in the EU and with global issues in the region of something changed in it. But as DNH explained having similar issue.

KrankyPants said:
I find that the elastics of certain brands cause me to break out in hives.
I find some aren't made the same. like one brand has great ones but another is junk. But another issue in have with some and I believe it's a reaction to rash creams is where the inner elastic guard separates or fails & the elastic itself causes pressure on the skin.

End of the day for me personally a huge issue I have not only with this but most things is not having feeling nor sensation or being paralyzed. It's good & bad like I have heard diaper rashes can really suck but same token having sensation though it can suck at times it also can be early detection

Back