Airport security lesson

mickdl said:
Yes - that the new Milimeter-Wave Scanners from Rohde&Schwarz - they see everything :) - I guess you mean that ones: File:NRW-Verkehrsminister_Hendrik_Wüst_-_Vorstellung_Easy_Security-6294.jpg ... They flag me very time - even with a dry diaper... The older ProVisonII scanners (the phone booth) are not that sensitive and I was nearly never flagged with them.

Hey Mick! Yes, that's the scanner I went through. I guess I'll have to get used to being flagged and patted down. Do you tell them straight away that you are wearing a diaper? Or what do you recommend?

Hi bobbyc, no - I don‘t tell them. My feeling is, that they have there own procedures anyway and it‘s faster to let them do there job. I fly frequently in Europe and had never a real problem with them. In some really rare cases I was asked and then I explain that I need to wear protection and thats it. In any cases my issues where handled discrete as possible and respectful.

The TSA was never a problem - the real problems are coming with the logistic. The worse case that happend to me was: I booked my flight home with the last plane in the evening after a couple of busy days, the flight was canceled 10 minutes before boarding and I need to stay a night longer. Unfortunately I didn’t had enough diapers anymore to survive the night and the flight back next morning and the stores where already closed... These are the real challenges...

daylight said:
You maybe surprised that your incontinence might be okay on a flight. If the vibrations of a car prevent your bladder from emptying then a flight will likely do the same. It will likely be uncomfortable due to the agitation but, hey you are dry until getting off of the plane.
That’s what shocked me. I have urinary disfunction caused by a neurological issue. It mostly results in bladder release, but when I went on a flight recently, it resulted in complete retention. My bladder didn’t release itself until I had been on the ground for a good 30 minutes (good thing I was wearing a megamax!)

Interesting - for me it matters little if I sit in a car or in a plane or in my office - if I cramp I can't do that much anymore. The key for me is to visit the rest room round about every hour. If I don't do this accidents are nearly unavoidable. While flying in the evening this is often a problem because if I fall into sleep after a 10 or 12 hours business day it may happen that I oversleep this timing and the toilets are closed because the plane is in it's final approach.

An other problem are are temperature changes for me. In the winter I have significantly more accidents, because if I went out from a warm room (like a car or a plane) into the cold I often get urge attacks that are not controllable for me. So if the plane have an outer parking position with a bus transfer I often don't to reach the toilet in the terminal in time.

pgfdp said:
That’s what shocked me. I have urinary disfunction caused by a neurological issue. It mostly results in bladder release, but when I went on a flight recently, it resulted in complete retention. My bladder didn’t release itself until I had been on the ground for a good 30 minutes (good thing I was wearing a megamax!)

Weird huh, and usually not in a good way as after the flight or longer drive, my bladder feels bruised and sore for hours afterwards. I really feel for those with IC.

daylight said:
Weird huh, and usually not in a good way as after the flight or longer drive, my bladder feels bruised and sore for hours afterwards. I really feel for those with IC.
It depends on the type of IC you have. I once had urge incontinence with a neurogenic blockage. My bladder feeling bruised was only on a good day, usually it was much worse. Now I am functionally incontinent and almost never even feel my bladder anymore. No pain either, not even after a flight.

Slomo said:
It depends on the type of IC you have. I once had urge incontinence

A bit of confusion, I am referring to IC - Interstitial Cystitis

daylight said:
Yeah, that IC sucks. I've spent the past couple of days with my bladder hurting for no other reason than it wants to hurt.

At disney world in the security line...they whisper and tell me they will try to be discreet. Disney service!

daylight said:
Yeah sorry, I shouldn't have abbreviated it like that. It's somewhat common for us to use IC for incontinence, and when I saw you use it I incorrectly though that's what you meant.

Slomo said:
Yeah sorry, I shouldn't have abbreviated it like that. It's somewhat common for us to use IC for incontinence, and when I saw you use it I incorrectly though that's what you meant.

No worries. Not sure where/when/why IC is used for incontinence here. Medical acronyms relating to incontinence that I know of are SUI, UUI, UI

mickdl said:
The TSA was never a problem - the real problems are coming with the logistic. The worse case that happend to me was: I booked my flight home with the last plane in the evening after a couple of busy days, the flight was canceled 10 minutes before boarding and I need to stay a night longer. Unfortunately I didn’t had enough diapers anymore to survive the night and the flight back next morning and the stores where already closed... These are the real challenges...

That's tough, Mick. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me. I always pack my carryon with as many spares as will fit as I try to change as frequently as possible when traveling as that is the time when a leak would be most inconvenient. What did you do? The only solution I can think of is to carry a pair of plastic pants and some diaper pins to make a cloth diaper out of a hotel towel, just in case.

Reactions: NooNoo
Yeah, now THERE is an airport lesson to be learned. Forget about those scanners, the TSA doesn't care about your diapers anyways. Always pack enough carry on diapers to last you a full day. If your flight is delayed or cancelled that will at least hold you over until you can get some cheap diapers from a pharmacy, or otherwise get your checked luggage back.

Back