Aging and incontinence

Anonymous

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Hi guys,

I know I have created a lot of threads and I’m trying to get all the information I possibly can.

I was wondering what your experience was as you got older. Did your incontinence worsen over time? I am specifically targeting this question towards people who have a neurological condition and/or neurogenic bladder. I‘m back in diapers at 26 and I kind of want to get a general idea of what to expect.

My OAB is kind of settling in and my closet rack is full of diapers which looking at it feels good to be taking care of myself but infantalizing at the same time.

I’m getting more confident as the days go by but I still have some things to figure out.

Reactions: Diprs2
Do some research into UAB (under active bladder). It is not well diagnosed, but there is more research coming out indicating that non-treatment of OAB can cause changes to the bladder wall, ultimately leading to UAB after 20+ years. This correlates with changes in continence with aging. The theory is starting to emerge that proactive treatment in early years will stall the changes over the years. So there is that.

I've had a neurogenic bladder all of my life, but it went through a massive change at 39, which is when my genetic neuromuscular disorder body slammed me and I started dealing with incontinence and retention. My bladder tracks with my genetic disorder. If my disorder is acting up my bladder gives me a difficult time. If my disorder is under control my bladder behaves better. My bladder has gone through changes over the years and has become under active. My regimen has changed as a result, but it's actually easier to deal with my bladder now than even 10 years ago. But my bladder has not gotten better.

You will get a different answer to your question for everyone who answers you. The point is you need to take care of your health, including your bladder. Diapers solve a symptom, not the problem. There may not be a solution to your issues now, but by being diligent in continuing to research, and diligent to bring your research to your doctors, you should be able to minimize changes that could interfere with life.

Reactions: Diprs2, GatoChihuahua and anton
My bladder has definately got worse over the years and whilst I still more often than not get the message to go the time limit before my bladder lets go is getting shorter as time goes by, Nappies are my go to as the other devices available all gave me serious infections that made holding onto a full bladder ever more impossible than before.
Wearing Nappies does not make me feel even the slightest bit infantile as whilst I am a serious life long D/L Nappy lover it was never about "little" things.
Good luck with your search for the answers that work for you.

Reactions: Diprs2, sport1 and CheshireCat
I was diagnosed with neurogenic bladder in my late 40s. This resulted in diapers 24/7 for about 2 1/2 years. After surgery, meds, and therapy, I was able to manage without diapers for maybe 18 months or so, but am now (mid-50s) back to bedwetting and wearing diapers on long trips, etc. I think @CheshireCat is correct in that individual experiences will differ greatly. I would guess much will depend on what the root cause of the neuro issues is. Mine is most likely due to spinal stenosis and chronic back/sciatic/disk issues, so how things respond for me is tied to how my back is acting at ant given time.

Reactions: Diprs2 and CheshireCat
My IC is due to diabetic nerve damage. I was diagnosed with diabetes somewhere in my 40s but even though I managed it, by the time I reached mid 60s, I was urinary incontinent. There is no cure for this and my condition is slowly worsening to include fecal IC. I'm actually at a very frustrating time right now because most days I don't need to think about F-IC. But then there are the surprise(!) days where it becomes an issue. In any case, nerve conditions have made my IC progressively worse. Other family members that had/have diabetes have had other problems in the feet and legs instead. I was the lucky one to get incontinence <sarcasm>.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Wetshisbed
I have inherited much of my father's health problems worse luck, but I have managed to lesson and/or to hold at bay most of them with diet but not so much with the incontinence which is a bit of a worry as bye the time he was in his mid too late 60s I believe he had little or no control over both his bladder and bowls. His incontinence was exasperated some what dew to diabetes so if I can avoid that hopefully it won't be at bad for me.

I’m 46 (47 in July ) and in the last year I’ve been having day time issues with urgency caused by OAB
most days I would pee 7/8 time before lunch and total 15 times in a day also 3/4 times a night .
ok if I was at home or in the yard at work , not ok when I’m driving a 44t 60ft long Artic truck with poor rest faculties here in the Uk , close calls I’ve had a few plus the discomfort of a bladder getting fuller and fuller .
Then back last November my luck ran out one night, I got my shorts down ok but not my underpants before the flow started and I froze 😢 with fear and shock , luckily it was in my truck and that has plastic and rubber floor coverings .
I’ve been wearing FT for 3 months now

slimjiminy said:
My IC is due to diabetic nerve damage. I was diagnosed with diabetes somewhere in my 40s but even though I managed it, by the time I reached mid 60s, I was urinary incontinent. There is no cure for this and my condition is slowly worsening to include fecal IC. I'm actually at a very frustrating time right now because most days I don't need to think about F-IC. But then there are the surprise(!) days where it becomes an issue. In any case, nerve conditions have made my IC progressively worse. Other family members that had/have diabetes have had other problems in the feet and legs instead. I was the lucky one to get incontinence <sarcasm>.
I suffer from diabetic related incontinence too. It has gradually got worse over time and cannot be cured. I just had to accept it and get on with life. I wear nappies 24/7.

Acceptance has been difficult. This is NOT how my sunset years were supposed to be. However, I have mostly adapted to it. But when I have to work around people in my circle to keep the affliction secret, it can get me down. I'm not generally a "down" person.

Napincolove said:
My bladder has definately got worse over the years and whilst I still more often than not get the message to go the time limit before my bladder lets go is getting shorter as time goes by, Nappies are my go to as the other devices available all gave me serious infections that made holding onto a full bladder ever more impossible than before.
Wearing Nappies does not make me feel even the slightest bit infantile as whilst I am a serious life long D/L Nappy lover it was never about "little" things.
Good luck with your search for the answers that work for you.
I agree with you my time span is getting shorter and the only way to combat it is diapers NO ab stuff.

Reactions: Napincolove, Diprs2 and NappiedTruckDriver
Back