Advice needed! Can I use my teat again?

Huggieswearer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
So I left home real quick to go buy apple juice to drink from my bottle and when I returned my dogs got hold of my two tommee tippee teats. They are the spare ones I have because I immediately replaced the included medium flow nipples with fast flow ones. But my plan was to keep those ones as spares when one of the others break. There are no bite marks on them. It seems like they only licked them. Should I sterilize them or what?

Reactions: FrenchFriedOnion
Soap and water is plenty enough.

That old wives' tale that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's is bullshit. We've both got our own brand of flesh eating bacteria in our mouths. It's just not usually a problem unless you have an open wound in your mouth and a suppressed immune system.

Reactions: Edgewater, RaawrrrPincess, Azizi and 1 other person
Run them through the dishwasher (or a pot of boiling water) and you will be fine. My sister had a dog that would steal the babies pacifiers and we never had any issues, just sterilize them and you are good to go. We did end up buying pacifiers just for the dog

• Sad
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Yeah soak in hot water and soap for a bit and they should be fine, if you are still worried though pop to your local pharmacy or supermarket and look for Milton sterilising tablets, They look like this in the UK but I know they do sell in some other countries too.

Sainsbury's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery

If not available where you are there should be something similar (a pharmacy can help you), they are a soft bleach tablet that dissolves in water and mainly used to clean baby bottles, toys, teethers, paci's etc. Just pop one in a bowl of water with the teats for about 15 mins and then rinse (though rinsing is unnecessary it will taste funny if you use it right away and don't rinse).

Reactions: siysiy, Deleted member 76595 and Edgewater
frozencanuk said:
Run them through the dishwasher (or a pot of boiling water) and you will be fine. My sister had a dog that would steal the babies pacifiers and we never had any issues, just sterilize them and you are good to go. We did end up buying pacifiers just for the dog
No dishwashing and no boiling water of any length! That will shorten the life of, even damage, teats (nipples) fast, especially latex ones! Good ol' Dawn dish soap (or just about any other, for that matter) works just fine under warm water with a hot tinge to it.

Reactions: Edgewater and Belarin
BobbiSueEllen said:
No dishwashing and no boiling water of any length! That will shorten the life of, even damage, teats (nipples) fast, especially latex ones! Good ol' Dawn dish soap (or just about any other, for that matter) works just fine under warm water with a hot tinge to it.
I'm sorry, but tommee tippee teats are silicon, not latex, which are both dishwasher and high heat safe. Even tommee tippee suggests running them through the dishwasher

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater
frozencanuk said:
I'm sorry, but tommee tippee teats are silicon, not latex, which are both dishwasher and high heat safe. Even tommee tippee suggests running them through the dishwasher
Even silicone. And bearing in mind that nothing lasts forever, because even baby nipples sure don't, in our instance, longevity is key. Babies grow...we don't. I stopped dishwashing my bottle nipples after the first time, when they all permanently discolored white-ish. I'd used a half-measure of dishwasher detergent, the house water was 130 degrees F...and the dishwasher was set to Energy Saver and No-Heat Dry. So I hand-wash all mine now...or use denture cleanser tablets as directed. Couldn't be more happy.

And I have to be extra-careful with my baby bottle nipples because they were discontinued...and I managed to stockpile 40! 🫢🍼

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
You probably could use mouthwash
Wash them and use mouthwash then rinse that would take care of anything.

I remember reading articles citing that a dog's mouth is cleaner than ours.

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Found this, by the American Kennel Club (AKC), a prominent canine advocate:

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy and KBoy
Thankyou everyone for the advice. I think I'm going to wash them with a little dish soap and the let them soak in boiling water for 5 minutes.

Belarin said:
Yeah soak in hot water and soap for a bit and they should be fine, if you are still worried though pop to your local pharmacy or supermarket and look for Milton sterilising tablets, They look like this in the UK but I know they do sell in some other countries too.

Sainsbury's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery

If not available where you are there should be something similar (a pharmacy can help you), they are a soft bleach tablet that dissolves in water and mainly used to clean baby bottles, toys, teethers, paci's etc. Just pop one in a bowl of water with the teats for about 15 mins and then rinse (though rinsing is unnecessary it will taste funny if you use it right away and don't rinse).
I had no idea these existed!! I’ll definitely look into these!! I normally wash my pacifiers with soap and warm water, but I think those tablets would work better for a deeper clean, maybe to use once a week would be good? And especially for when I’m traveling!!

PoofyDiapeeBunny said:
I had no idea these existed!! I’ll definitely look into these!! I normally wash my pacifiers with soap and warm water, but I think those tablets would work better for a deeper clean, maybe to use once a week would be good? And especially for when I’m traveling!!
They are great, Going by an old memory the tablets are about the size of a dollar coin (maybe slightly bigger) but a tad thicker. One whole tablet is enough to turn 5 litres of water into a sterilising solution and the tablets are designed so that you can easily break them into quarters (half for 2.5L 1 Quarter for 1.25L).

Just drop a quarter of one into a bowl with about a litre of water (can be luke warm but it's recommended not to be hot water) and it fizzes away and dissolves, Then drop in your paci's, teats, bottle, teether etc. that you want clean (larger items will need more water to immerse them and thus more of the tablet).

15 minutes later it should have killed 99.9% of the bacteria including pretty much all the really harmful stuff, just remove from the water and you can use right away or allow to air dry for a bit.

The tablets and the water solution itself is non-toxic and potentially safe to drink (though it would not be recommended to try drinking lots), They are after all designed for use on baby stuff. So if used on a bottle and some of the water is left inside when you fill it up and use it there should be no problems same with paci's that you can take out shake off and pop in your mouth.

You can also use them for other things like a "pre soak" for laundry to remove stains/infectious germs or discoloration on whites), you can fill a spray bottle and use it like a surface cleaner which is touch safe for babies, Some people will tell you it is good for some skin conditions like eczema, As a steriliser/cleaner for smaller paddling pools/foot spa's etc.

Once dissolved the water should remain effective and sterile for up to 24 hours. so you can clean things in batches.

It's wonderful stuff and available in most countries I think, and if not there should be alternatives if you look at the chemical composition. You should not use it on metal items though as it can damage them.

It's a very old product that has been used in hospitals, clinical and care industries for decades

Last edited:
Huggieswearer said:
So I left home real quick to go buy apple juice to drink from my bottle and when I returned my dogs got hold of my two tommee tippee teats. They are the spare ones I have because I immediately replaced the included medium flow nipples with fast flow ones. But my plan was to keep those ones as spares when one of the others break. There are no bite marks on them. It seems like they only licked them. Should I sterilize them or what?
If you let your dogs lick you, share food etc. you'll be fine. Heck if I yawn while laying on bed without paying attention to my surroundings. My 44lbs bc mix will do her best to clean my molars. 9 yrs and I'm still here ;) ymmv though

Reactions: Huggieswearer
Back