Advice for diaper to wear on plane?

BabyDenise said:
Nothing.

There is nothing illegal about diapers so TSA isn't going to do anything.
But they might think you’re using them to hide drugs or explosives or something, so want to do more tests... especially if you don’t look like a “typical adult diaper wearer” (i.e. elderly or disabled).

BabyDenise said:
Nothing.

There is nothing illegal about diapers so TSA isn't going to do anything.
All they do, as with everyone's carry-on is scan it for hidden items.
Diapers are known to be used as a hiding place for drugs and other illegal contraband, yes, even a toddler's dirty diaper was once used to hide drugs in o_O

So if you stuff your diapers with a booster inside the plastic like me then you'll be taken to a private room and those diapers will be cut open for inspection, but if you do not modify them then they won't do anything, even when patting you down, they know how a diaper feels like and they will not go beyond the edge of the leg gatherer's ribble on your bottom, because otherwise they'd be in violation of some rule i forgot.
If however they're not trained well and think you're hiding something under your clothes they might again take you to a private room.

Once I had a TSA officer (a young one) point at my CGM which is injected in my belly, he even pressed violently with his finger at it and that hurt, those are times when I really hate them. Yes I did show him, yes I did explain it was there , what it was etc, but he was unknowing and obviously not trained in these technologies.

Cloth!!

Teddy02 said:
What a very aggressive response! So, ‘absorbent‘ and ‘long lasting’ “shoudn’t go in the same sentence”. Maybe we all have to be legally correct and state that “in my opinion” with every sentence. Personally I find them very good. Please expand on ‘premium diapers’ for all the girls and boys. Maybe you like to flood your nappy, personally I have no choice and drip into mine slowly being incontinent following a prostatectomy.
I too stopped using abena diapers, not because of flooding but because their cotton feel cover left wet stains on my clothing and their hook and loop tapes came loose easily.
Also it is true their absorbency , even as officially stated by the manufacturer, is no longer what it used to be.
I too leak small amounts due to a sphincterectomy, and I prefer other brands than abena now.
The response was not meant aggressively from what i perceive, it's unfortunately the way it is, only the older plastic backed abena's are good, but the cotton feel ones surely are not.

Babybay said:
That's actually a bad idea, if you wear cloth that require pins then they'd make a hassle over the metal.
If you wear cloth with velcro or other non metal attachments then you have to make sure that cloth diaper can keep you dry until you arrive at a place that has facilities to wash / hold your cloth diapers.
In a hotel I find this very inconvenient.

When travelling, disposable practically always wins.

Reactions: abdl86
Planes are so loud, nobody would ever hear a crinkle or you peeing in your diaper. I am a very discreet person myself in public, but airports and planes are pretty loud! Also I think now with the coronavirus it is so much easier to use it as an excuse to wear...
So I would say just wear whatever is comfortable for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Softypink, dous, Subtlerustle and 1 other person
Teddy02 said:
Maybe we all have to be legally correct and state that “in my opinion” with every sentence.
Then your option is just flat out wrong in any objective sense of the word. The only diapers m3 beats for absorbency are the crap they sell in big chain drugstores.

Teddy02 said:
Please expand on ‘premium diapers’ for all the girls and boys

Scroll down to results graph. Notice where m4s are? And that's a plastic backed m4 from before they reduced the quality. Even if we claim an m3 has the same performance as an m4 (which is a huge if, considering that the clothlike m3s are even worse than plastic m4s by a significant margin), you're still talking about the bottom 1/3rd of performers.

Reactions: winterheart01
irnub said:
Then your option is just flat out wrong in any objective sense of the word. The only diapers m3 beats for absorbency are the crap they sell in big chain drugstores.

Scroll down to results graph. Notice where m4s are? And that's a plastic backed m4 from before they reduced the quality. Even if we claim an m3 has the same performance as an m4 (which is a huge if, considering that the clothlike m3s are even worse than plastic m4s by a significant margin), you're still talking about the bottom 1/3rd of performers.
You don’t understand. Firstly I was commenting on my own use of the Abena Pull-up M3 which I find perfectly acceptable for certain situations. Please note, not the diaper but the pull-up. Secondly it is my opinion, mine alone, you are in no position to tell me that my opinion is wrong, you might correct the technical issues, but you have to respect my opinion as just that, an opinion. I perfectly respect your opinion as being different from mine, but notwithstanding Winterheart’s ‘pouring oil on troubled waters’ (for which I thank him) I did find the response unnecessarily agressive. Maybe we were brought up in different times.

winterheart01 said:
I wore a betterdry last year during my flight, it is a high capacity diaper that didn't need changing until i arrived at my hotel and that was a blessing.
As for TSA, they patted me down and didn't say a word.
BetterDry all day long for me as well. Flown across the pond back home from europe and wore
a BetterDry.
I usually wear Jeans etc when boarding and once the food is done with, I grab my jogging pants (a little more baggy than
normal) from my backpack and those have the diaper stashed away in one pants leg.
So I just change into jogging pants in the lavatory (get used to putting on your diaper while standing up).
When I come back out, nobody notices anything. The pants are black and the noise covers the crinkle.

Done this a bunch of times and was never found out. Plus it's a blessing when
standing in long lines at immigration. Everybody else does the pee pee dance, except
for ONE guy... ;-)

Reactions: JOCKMAN, ChocChip, Teddy02 and 1 other person
KrankyPants said:
Tena brand Ultra briefs. If you're a 32" waist male the medium size is really good and doesn't leak if you're afraid of sleep wetting or something. The fit is great and doesn't show under pants as long as you're not wearing skinny jeans.
I recently bought the Tena ultra size medium and I really have been satisfied with them. Easy to change, multiple wettings and cheap to buy. I never thought I would say that about a Tena product.

Reactions: checkingoutall, KrankyPants and RedPandaDL
Diapertoddler said:
I recently bought the Tena ultra size medium and I really have been satisfied with them. Easy to change, multiple wettings and cheap to buy. I never thought I would say that about a Tena product.
I have to correct myself from what I said above your post: I did, on my last trip, wear
a Tena Ultima. That was a very pleasant experience.
Not as thick as the BetterDry, yet still absorbent enough for me to
make it across the ocean, through customs and immigration and
the car ride home, which is about 1 hour.

Too bad they are not available in the US. I always buy them
from Rearz if I feel like spending the money..

US-version Tenas are not my cup of tea at all.

Reactions: KrankyPants
Personally speaking, I probably would have no hesitation wearing a Rearz or an ABU high capacity diaper on the plane these days, all but ensuring that there would be no need to visit the lavatory. Planes and airports are loud and nobody would hear the crinkle, and I’d rather have something on with plenty of capacity for a long flight to avoid any leaking... As far as security goes, I’d bet they have seen a huge uptick in flyers wearing all kinds of diapers and pads in the Covid era, and probably wouldn’t think twice about it, although a soaked diaper might cause more consternation than a dry one, with the scanners and all.

Reactions: Softypink and ChocChip
You can always go thru security in regular underwear and then hit a family restroom on the other side and dip up.
As for diapers in carry on, no problem. They don’t care.

Reactions: ChocChip
Every time I’ve been on a plane I’ve just worn a Goodnite. I’m not IC and my waist is 36 in, so I’m not sure if that would be an option for you. I mainly only wore to avoid using the plane bathroom. I can wet at least twice in one, and they aren’t bulky at all. I doubt the TSA agent even knew I wore it through security. Not that they would care anyway.

JoeMusic1976 said:
I have to correct myself from what I said above your post: I did, on my last trip, wear
a Tena Ultima. That was a very pleasant experience.
Not as thick as the BetterDry, yet still absorbent enough for me to
make it across the ocean, through customs and immigration and
the car ride home, which is about 1 hour.

Too bad they are not available in the US. I always buy them
from Rearz if I feel like spending the money..

US-version Tenas are not my cup of tea at all.
Haha! It's hilarious how your opinion changed dramatically when you found out I like the US Tena ultra. 😅 I heard really great things about the UK version and that once I try them I'll see what everyone is talking about. The US ones are all I have experience with though, and I'm sorry they don't work out for you.

Teddy02 said:
I always wear Abena pull-ups M3. Very discrete, very absorbent and long lasting. As airline toilets are so small and it is difficult to take the trousers off I take a tabbed nappy to change into though. I gave up worrying about anybody finding our that I was in a nappy a long time ago, and did wear a crinkls recently for a night flight, I even walked down the isle carrying it on the way to the WC, not sure whether anyone noticed or not!
Totally agree with the m3 they are in my opinion the best disposable adult pull on diaper ever or at the best I’ve found.

Last edited:
KrankyPants said:
Haha! It's hilarious how your opinion changed dramatically when you found out I like the US Tena ultra. 😅 I heard really great things about the UK version and that once I try them I'll see what everyone is talking about. The US ones are all I have experience with though, and I'm sorry they don't work out for you.
KrankyPants said:
I think he is referring to a different version all together then the ultra we suggested. He listed the ultima and it is a different style of brief. Tape style being one and no doubt lighter absorbency. Not trying to start a pamper fight here or anything. Just clarification.

Diapertoddler said:
I think he is referring to a different version all together then the ultra we suggested. He listed the ultima and it is a different style of brief. Tape style being one and no doubt lighter absorbency. Not trying to start a pamper fight here or anything. Just clarification.
You are correct, Diapertoddler. Somehow missed that when I responded to that post. Thanks for clarifying! 👍

KrankyPants said:
You are correct, Diapertoddler. Somehow missed that when I responded to that post. Thanks for clarifying! 👍
Yeah what I meant was that I only wore BetterDry on the plane,
but once someone mentioned Tena, I remembered that
on the last trip I actually had Tena Ultima with me instead of BetterDry
and those were very pleasant to wear and no problems with capacity.

I would personally never wear a diaper through security now, instead I'd diaper up in a single stall prior to boarding and use it as I need to while waiting to depart. But I have gone through security with a wet Goodnite and the TSA lady felt the diaper and kind of embarrassingly let me proceed. Was kinda awkward, so wont be doing that again!

Back