A Double Dose of "Different": Disorders and Diaper Loving

LilTwirl said:
Each of us, as an individual, has our own unique set of burdens to bear and paths to follow. For many of us, this whole ‘diaper thing’ can seem like quite a burden at times, and it poses a definite roadblock for our social lives, especially if we wish to be accepted in an intimate relationship. For some of us though, we are already experiencing difficulties at fitting in and experiencing challenges that go outside of the norm. We are the disabled, the disorderly, or the neurologically impaired, if you will.

Many ABDL community members have been diagnosed with some sort of a disability, or could be diagnosed if we sought it out. We’ve been told we have Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, Dyslexia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or any other of a long list of potential impairments and invisible disorders. We are also infantilists. There seems to be a lot of us who can claim to be both neurologically impaired and involved in this unique lifestyle.

The Big Question: Are They Related?

It has often been pondered whether or not there is a correlation between having a neurological disorder and being a member of the AB/TB/DL community. It has been debated not only throughout our social circle, but has even been brought up in certain places within the neurological disability community, as well.

So what’s the answer? Is there a direct correlation between having a neurological difference and being an infantilist? It is through experience, analysis, and anecdotal evidence that it becomes quite visible that there is a plausible correlation between the two. However, this isn’t exactly an 'X caused Y' or a 'Y caused X' relationship, but rather, a case of an increased likelihood toward infantilism for those of us who qualify as neurologically disabled.

How can being neurologically disabled lead to diaper loving?

There are many ways in which being disabled can lead to a desire and/or need to regress or wear diapers. When determining the likelihood of a disabled individual developing the fetish or becoming a part of the lifestyle, one must look at the type of disorder the individual has, as well as its severity.

In general, neurological impairments such as Autism Spectrum Disorders (including Asperger’s Syndrome), Attention Deficit Disorder, and Sensory Processing Disorder each have a large variety of unique ways in which they can impact a person. No matter what the neurological disorder though, one can expect to find a general difficulty in fitting in with peers, a hard time meeting the day to day requirements the world has placed on people, and an increased likelihood of depression and difficulties coping with stress.

Infantilists are into the lifestyle for a variety of reasons, as well. Many of us are here because we have always liked feeling younger and having less responsibility from time to time, or appreciate or love wearing diapers. For many of us, this is a great way to relieve stress and temporarily remove ourselves from the harsh demands of the adult world. So, what does that mean for the neurologically impaired?

Attachment to babyish coping mechanisms

For those who are neurologically different from their peers, regressive patterns and coping mechanisms can be an attractive option for coping with stress and emotional hardship. Because many had many challenges while attempting to adapt to their social environment throughout the early ages of life, developmental milestones may have been reached late or missed entirely. Essentially, many neurologically disabled individuals have a relatively weak foundation in many of the areas that are required for a happy and well-rounded childhood.

To cope with these difficulties, many develop bonds with habits and items that can be found in their environment. This could be a plushy (stuffed animal), pacifier, bottle, blanket, or diapers, to name some of the most common babyhood coping mechanisms and comfort tools. Essentially, they develop bonds with these coping mechanisms that greatly exceed the bonds that their peers developed for the same items.

When it came time for most neurologically typical children to give up diapers, pacifiers, or their blankie, it was likely to be a minor challenge, but one that they ultimately took and moved on smoothly from, without needing to look back. For disabled kids, on the other hand, it was much harder. Because they lacked many of the same neurological capabilities of the other children, they didn’t feel as safe in their environment, and did not feel comfortable giving up their calming safety tools. This may be a common period in which such a child may begin to develop into an infantilist, refusing to give up on what they had always had before. Even if they do submit to the demands of society and try to move beyond such things, they will ultimately still have a strong emotional attachment.

Another common issue that is typical for people with neurological impairments is the likelihood of sensory problems. It has been stated before that as many as half of every person diagnosed with ADHD, as well as virtually every person diagnosed on the autism spectrum has some level of sensory difficulties. These difficulties have been discovered in children that have none of the aforementioned disabilities, and it has been given its own diagnostic label, Sensory Processing Disorder.

Ways autism and neurological sensory issues can lead to infantilism

One of the most common problems for people who have Autism Spectrum Disorders and Sensory Processing Disorder (making up approximately five percent of the world) is a difficulty with changes in the environment and transitions from one thing to another. Going from being able to wear diapers to having to use a toilet is a very big transition, and a definite change in a child’s environment.

Many people with these disabilities have a very hard time breaking from what they are doing, even for something as mundane as going to the bathroom, and hence, don’t want to do it. This inability to break away from a task to perform a vital bodily function, coupled with a hard time deciphering and experiencing the urge to use the bathroom (another common problem here), is what keeps many children with these disorders from potty training early.

One look at the websites dedicated to parents in the autism or SPD communities will reveal that potty training is a very difficult issue for a good number of children with these conditions. It is not very uncommon for a lot of these kids to be wearing diapers full time until, or even beyond, the age of 5. Many have issues with bedwetting that go on for years later, as well.

People who are hypersensitive to sensory input often have a hard time with a noisy and uncomfortable bathroom environment, and find the seams on most forms of underwear to be extremely agitating. They may prefer the feeling of a smooth porous diaper instead of underwear. Those who are under-sensitive to sensory input may not even feel the need to go until it is too late, causing chronic bedwetting accidents, and those who are sensory seekers may actually crave the sensory input diapers provide.

That’s right, many kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Sensory Processing Disorder, and ADHD may actually find the sensory stimuli that comes from diapers addictive, in a sense, and may fixate on them and need them to help maintain better focus and internal regulation. The scent of the powder, the feeling of the interior of the diaper, especially when wet or perhaps even messy, and the bonding pressure of the snug undergarments are all very attractive sensations to many people who are sensory seekers.

So what can be concluded?

It seems quite possible that a person with neurological impairments may be led to this lifestyle. While it is purely illogical to state that having these disorders causes infantilism, it is not too hard to imagine the appeal diapers, pacifiers, and other regression based tools for those who have an abnormal nervous system. Likewise, it is also completely unfounded to suggest that all infantilists have some form of neurological condition.

As for me, I have had Sensory Processing Disorder my whole life, and I never wanted to be potty trained. I intensely seek out the input that diapers can offer me, and have a difficult time with bathrooms, certain clothing textures, and breaking from my tasks to head to the restroom every hour or two. I feel that it is likely that this played a pivotal role in what has brought me to where I am today, as a discreetly open infantilist and diaper lover.

I have made a lot of friends in the SPD community, and most of them turned out to have some sort of regression-type habit, even if they weren’t involved in the ABDL community. I have also made quite a few friends in the ABDL community, and have never been very surprised to see a lot of them suffer from some sort of sensory processing difficulties or neurological differences.

For those of us who are neurologically impaired members of the ABDL community, we have a couple of definite hurdles to overcome when it comes to personal and social acceptance, as well as intimate relationships. If we are able to accept ourselves for both our challenges and our lifestyle, and find someone who is able to love both our unique quirkiness and our diapering interests, then it is something that is truly special, and a sign of true internal strength.

Between our diapers and our disorders, we are indeed very unique and interesting people.
This is very well written. I've yet to believe that many will gain the full concept of this as well that a lot of the hatred and misconceptions as to this Ave of escape, and self exceptance of ppl in this community is based and twister by that so called moral majority twisted religious "F's!"
What goes on in the bedrooms is of absolutely none of those twisted "F's!" Concerns as long as it is causing no physical or mental harm. These twisted freaks could never ever wrap their minds around this because they'd use the lives of those in this community that do this for sexual pleasures and again that Ave is none of their concerns.
Me being totally IC an it wasn't something that I wanted, or planed that I ended up so depressed that beside a lot of anger and the many thoughts of self harm that I wound up as I did, and that I'd even want to put my love an soul mate through having to do the things she choose to do for me. At that time there was no way i could see a plus side to my condition and i was a full beliver that id never allow a handicap define me id define the handicap. Being the fact that I was epileptic from a head trauma Irecieved in the military way back in my younger years. She was determined to help to find a Ave that we could share togeather as well as have an Ave to not allow this disibability to destroy our love for each other. I have to say that she was wiser than beyond her years. At least we had some very precious moments togeather (that i am cherishing to this day) before she passed. I want to thank you for this post though I really do not believe there will be many in this community let alone those twisted religious "F's" lives that could ever wrap their little minds around this subject.

I am level 1 autistic, formerly known as Aspergers or HFA (high functioning autism). I don't know if it has anything to do with my newfound littleness or not.
I mostly gain an immense sense of comfort and security from being in little space. In a sense this is related to my mental illnesses such as seasonal depression, because being in little space I think helps me deal with that. But I don't know that it's caused by it, or my mental disability.

Reactions: skylanderpamp, perlFerret and Angelapinks
I think one connection could be that autistic people tend to care less about social conformance. We often do what we want no matter how different it is.

Reactions: perlFerret and Angelapinks
pupizu said:
I think one connection could be that autistic people tend to care less about social conformance. We often do what we want no matter how different it is.
I recall reading that Greta Thunberg the Climate Activist has Aspergers.
I wonder if she enjoys Little Space when at home?

Angelapinks said:
I recall reading that Greta Thunberg the Climate Activist has Aspergers.
I wonder if she enjoys Little Space when at home?
I hope she doesn't waste the plastic...

• Haha
Reactions: CrazySmoker
I was just thinking about this whole concept myself. I have BPD and something clicked in my head, i wonder if my long standing desire to be babied and cared for is a mechanism to deal with abandonment. Who would abandon a baby? My childhood was really good until about the age of 7, parents got a divorce, and everything went completely to hell. Began isolating at 13 years old in my room with unsupervised internet access and here we are.
Ive had no success including this part of me in relationships, it always ends badly. Going through that right now in my marriage, started out with lots of love and acceptance and now its my disgusting secret tucked away in the closet. Its made me put up the barriers and shut her out completely from my internal world.

I think for someone like me with this disorder, it could be a powerful tool but only if managed correctly and with someone who understands the components of both and the work required.

• Thinking
Reactions: trevy, MiddleJacob, CrazySmoker and 1 other person
I know that even when I was 13 or so, I did a form of voluntary age regression. Mainly I was desparately trying to hold onto my childhood. I didn't want to grow up. I hated turning 13. I would purposefully act younger than I actually was, try to hold onto playing with toys in an imaginary way, and pretended not to understand "grownup" concepts.

Reactions: Angelapinks
i am struggling to know myself

DylanLewis said:
PassiveRenegade

I have OSDD and Little alters. Its uncommon to read someone identify being ABDL in these terms (although I think its common & unrecognized). I've written books under this name on dissociation and ABDL (on kindle, inexpensive, return for a refund if you don't like). Go you!

Regards. Dylan.
I wish I had a kindle now lol. I’m 99% positive I have OSDD as well and am aware of 6 alters (so far) and 2 little alters (ages 4 and 9 but there’s another significantly younger one I’m not sure about yet. Everyone’s still creeping out of the woodwork right now :/ ). I’m newly “diagnosed” (my therapist refuses to officially diagnose me for some reason even though he believes I have alters, which is where that other 1% of certainty would come from) but also suffer from C-PTSD, BPD, MDD, and anxiety to name several others. Diapers have significantly helped me cope with my C-PTSD in particular even if only for the pure feeling of innocence they bring, but I know for sure the Little alters enjoy them too. I’ve always gravitated toward them ever since I was 6, when I was finally fully potty trained.

I’m so happy there’s a thread mentioning dissociative disorders and ABDL in the same place though! I’m new here so it has genuinely been a pleasant surprise.

But man would it be nice to read some things connecting dissociative disorders and ABDL. It’s unfortunate that ABDL is still seen as so taboo by society, otherwise I think there would be more reading material on how it relates to dissociative disorders but I’m happy you took the time to write about it to begin with. Are your books only on kindle?

• Thinking
Reactions: MiddleJacob, DylanLewis, sport1 and 1 other person
LittleLynn said:
I wish I had a kindle now lol. I’m 99% positive I have OSDD as well and am aware of 6 alters (so far) and 2 little alters (ages 4 and 9 but there’s another significantly younger one I’m not sure about yet. Everyone’s still creeping out of the woodwork right now :/ ). I’m newly “diagnosed” (my therapist refuses to officially diagnose me for some reason even though he believes I have alters, which is where that other 1% of certainty would come from) but also suffer from C-PTSD, BPD, MDD, and anxiety to name several others. Diapers have significantly helped me cope with my C-PTSD in particular even if only for the pure feeling of innocence they bring, but I know for sure the Little alters enjoy them too. I’ve always gravitated toward them ever since I was 6, when I was finally fully potty trained.

I’m so happy there’s a thread mentioning dissociative disorders and ABDL in the same place though! I’m new here so it has genuinely been a pleasant surprise.

But man would it be nice to read some things connecting dissociative disorders and ABDL. It’s unfortunate that ABDL is still seen as so taboo by society, otherwise I think there would be more reading material on how it relates to dissociative disorders but I’m happy you took the time to write about it to begin with. Are your books only on kindle?
On amazon their books are available in paper back. It's a little more expensive than kindle but your be able to get a copy.

It's nice to see another on here with a dissociative disorder and little. Makes me feel less strange having to diper up with the little are about, knowing there are others in the same boat.

• Love
Reactions: DylanLewis, Rusher, babybenji and 1 other person
Interesting. Maybe that explains a bit. Not all of it rang 100% true for me, but some of it did. My mother thinks I am autistic and my health conditions (chronic fatigue, candidiasis and its coinfections) does add fuel to the fire in terms of brain fog, depression and anxiety. But some of those things could be innate. I don't know. I know I am odd (by comparison with normal humans) and many "normal" people find me hard to work out. An I do remember having difficulty with wetting up to at least the age 4. I guess, along side the complexities of symbolism of things in human social nature (nappies and the like) and the fact that the adults when I was a kid, were rather shouty and not very good at explaining what they mean, and possibly with an autism spectrum disorder could lead to confusion. This confusion then connecting itself to the normal instinctive pathways of the human animal (sex) creates an erotic and fetishistic situation. That combined with my malnutrition caused by my physical di8sease, reducing brain processing power, thus stopping me from coming to terms with anything at an early age, creates fixed patterns of thought and behaviour. So it kind of makes sense. Doesn't mean to say its easy being like this, far from it, but it does make sense.

• Thinking
Reactions: Angelapinks
LittleLynn said:

I have autism +dd.

LittleLynn said:

LittleLynn

Sorry for not replying to your post earlier. I only drop into ADISC from time to time. Everyone's experience of dissociation is unique so you are your own best guide to your journey. In my experience the recognition of being on the dissociation spectrum, having OSDD, came after decades of finding other explanations for experience and identity unsatisfactory. The recognition was the beginning of finally coming to understand myself. Again in my experience the journey of accepting and making friends with all my parts has taken years - but at least I feel like I am on the right road for me. Your therapist's reluctance to diagnose you with OSDD may relate to not wanting to tag you with a diagnosis that will follow you around (having to declare it when asked in official forms/applications etc) and cause you problems (in terms of the preconceptions of others, as dissociation is still poorly understood). I have found therapy based on Internal Family Systems (IFS) and Attachment Theory very helpful. If you are still having trouble accessing my books message me and I will forward one by return message.

Best regards. Dylan.

Reactions: MiddleJacob
Back