Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the Switch

Default Making the Switch

Hey all!

Like many others here, I've finally decided that it's time to start wearing diapers all the time again now. I've had varying degrees of overflow incontinence my whole life, due to urethral blockages I was born with and recurring strictures and it's back again. I've had surgery to correct it a few times and am trying to avoid having a full urethroplasty anytime soon. I have been relatively accident free since college, but over the last 6 months, they have increased quite a bit (always in public, of course!).

While not nearly as significant as many people on here, it has gotten bad enough that I don't trust myself leaving home without some type of diaper on. They certainly make me feel more confident and not so worried about bathrooms and such.

I'll probably wear a mix of diapers and some pull-ups, depending on my day, but no more regular underwear. I feel like I'm resigning to it somewhat, but I think it is the right choice for me now.

If anyone has any sage advice or encouragement, I'd welcome it!

I can appreciate your reluctance to get the surgery done. I've got a full urethroplasty coming up, probably in about a month and a half. I watched the surgery on youtube, and holy crap! Not to mention being laid up for 3-4 weeks afterwards too.

Unfortunately my stricture has me 100% blocked, and unable to pee at all, so it's not really a choice for me. (Fyi I have an emergency suprapubic cath temporarily implanted so I can still drain my bladder for now).

Hey, you have to do what you need to do. You have the choice to either wear or risk wet pants. Now you've made your decision, own it. The idea of not worrying about bathrooms really appeals to me even with what drawbacks there are in having to go diapered all of the time. I'm looking at having to go diapered regularly and it is both frightening and exhilarating. I will try to approach this with a certain amount of humor and to try to find the silver lining in this situation. I suppose if we go in thinking it'll be horrible we can end up making it horrible so I'm attempting to keep positive.

That sucks that it got 100% blocked and they had to put in a suprapubic. I'm not in any immediate danger of a total blockage, mine tends to close back up pretty slowly.

I hope the surgery goes well for you! Success rates are really high, but it is certainly not for the faint of heart!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedDeist View Post
    Hey, you have to do what you need to do. You have the choice to either wear or risk wet pants. Now you've made your decision, own it. The idea of not worrying about bathrooms really appeals to me even with what drawbacks there are in having to go diapered all of the time. I'm looking at having to go diapered regularly and it is both frightening and exhilarating. I will try to approach this with a certain amount of humor and to try to find the silver lining in this situation. I suppose if we go in thinking it'll be horrible we can end up making it horrible so I'm attempting to keep positive.
    Yep! Definitely staying positive. It's not the first time I've had to wear 'em. I'll try to enjoy it as much as I can!

Making the switch to nappies 24/7 was the right decision for me. I have no regrets.

Yes, it's much better to just wear them and feel safe than to abandon this idea. The crucial thing to remember here in my opinion is just not being afraid of it or not caring about it in a negative way. From what your post I can definitely say that you don't have any problems with feeling any stress or embarrassment that comes with wearing diapers. I know a lot about this anxiety as even though mine didn't come from wearing diapers, but I was too stressed about many other things life. My father had huge anxiety about being IT, but he just let it go and follows the idea of: Hey, so what that I'm wearing diapers? There is noting wrong it. Good luck and let them be comfortable for you!

Mango:
    Although my IC problems stemmed from a different problem (BPH after urination leakage) than yours, several years back I was having the same anxiety over having an accident as you. I started using various types of pads but as things got progressively worse (infrequent bedwetting, some urge IC) I found it so much easier to just wear a diaper 24/7. Once I made that decision my life suddenly became a lot less stressful and I started sleeping like a baby. OK, I'd rather not be IC at all, but now that I am wearing diapers 24/7 I've found it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I guess I look at diapers as a good thing now and as I say in my signature line, "I appreciate my diapers".

Mango,

If I can offer any advice it's that we make WAYYYY too big of a deal about this. Society sucks when it comes to the diaper stigma. I had anxiety for a long time about it. Finally I said "who gives a shit what underwear I have? It's none of their goddamn business". I sleep SO much better with diapers than without, and to me it's normal now. In your case you have NOTHING, NOTHING WHATSOEVER to be ashamed about. Go, wear diapers and live your life. If someone cares or says something, it's a reflection on what a shallow person they are versus what good or bad choices you've made.

Good choice on making the switch to diapers.
    This is the main reason why I'm a DL, because I respect how diapers help people who may need them, whether you're young or old.

I guess we're all here to support each other, whether we wear by choice, or not. You do what you have to do to keep from being embarrassed. I have IBS issues that seem to be getting worse, as the years go on. I like to pee freely, but shudder at the thought of involuntary poop. I'm in "something" to protect me, for as long as it makes sense. My wife cringes at the thought of fecal issues, but it's out of my control. Already take two Imodium a day to keep IBS at Bay....