Status
Not open for further replies.

07gp6465

Geo_Wears_Nappies
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hey fellow dl's, I've been wearing tape up nappies for a couple of months now. When I finally plucked up the courage of buying adult nappies instead of drynites pull ups. I bought id slip small which are good but a little tight around the legs, so I've gone for mediums now (plastic backed *drools*). I just can't get a good fit.. how far should the tapes go round and how do you keep the wings tidy. Can anyone help, I'm struggling to get it right when I change and I don't like it. Also, how's best to change a tape up nappy because I'm really struggling. One dl to the rest, help would be appreciated.

✌️ geo x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use net fixing pants over my nappies to keep them in place if you position the nappy and then pull the pants up so far before taping then the pants will keep everything snug.

ST50 said:
I use net fixing pants over my nappies to keep them in place if you position the nappy and then pull the pants up so far before taping then the pants will keep everything snug.

Hmm [emoji52] I don't have those. Would you sit/stand. These mediums seem really big too. I'm a 30 pant size, small were tight. How do I do the tapes best? Thanks [emoji120]

I find the upper tapes on diapers to generally be easy to figure out. I usually attach them an inch or so down from the top - on th padding if the diaper is a bit "long" for me, (xplus) otherwise either somewhat overlapping the padding (bambino) or maybe not on the padding at all. (mydiaper) I often do a quick measure with a tape and pretape the tops (and often the bottoms), but if you don't have the mad selection like I do here, you should be able to remember how far apart the tapes need to be to get a good fit. I don't crank the tops down very tight, I want a bit of a relaxed, comfortable fit. Try to attach the tapes equally so you get a symmetrical fit. Diapers with reliable patterns on them up on the tape area are usually pretty easy to spot the tapes on after you figure out where they go.

Lowers are a bit trickier. USUALLY they have an inch or so of space between them and the upper tapes, and usually a half inch or inch out farther. Often angled downward at a 45 degree angle or so. If you tape those down just straight in, look at your diaper after wearing for awhile, look for stretch/stress on one side of the lower tapes where they meet the back wing. If you see that on the lower part of the tape, that's because it needs to be angled outward on the bottom. Do that or you'll risk breaking a tape.

I do my fitting standing up. YMMV. Sitting changes your pelvis shape and will affect diaper fit. You can't easily get a good standing/sleeping AND sitting fit with the same taping.

And when in doubt, go large. Undersize diapers have more issues - poor drainage, popping/breaking tapes, uncomfortable, compressed jewels, etc. I'm of the opinion anyone can get a decent fit out of even a somewhat oversize diaper with proper taping. (also, before I put on this xplus last night, which are a bit to long for me and have a lot of "dead plastic" on the front end, I use a scissors to trim off 1/2 of that dead plastic - about 1.5", from the entire top end)

bambinod said:
I find the upper tapes on diapers to generally be easy to figure out. I usually attach them an inch or so down from the top - on th padding if the diaper is a bit "long" for me, (xplus) otherwise either somewhat overlapping the padding (bambino) or maybe not on the padding at all. (mydiaper) I often do a quick measure with a tape and pretape the tops (and often the bottoms), but if you don't have the mad selection like I do here, you should be able to remember how far apart the tapes need to be to get a good fit. I don't crank the tops down very tight, I want a bit of a relaxed, comfortable fit. Try to attach the tapes equally so you get a symmetrical fit. Diapers with reliable patterns on them up on the tape area are usually pretty easy to spot the tapes on after you figure out where they go.

Lowers are a bit trickier. USUALLY they have an inch or so of space between them and the upper tapes, and usually a half inch or inch out farther. Often angled downward at a 45 degree angle or so. If you tape those down just straight in, look at your diaper after wearing for awhile, look for stretch/stress on one side of the lower tapes where they meet the back wing. If you see that on the lower part of the tape, that's because it needs to be angled outward on the bottom. Do that or you'll risk breaking a tape.

I do my fitting standing up. YMMV. Sitting changes your pelvis shape and will affect diaper fit. You can't easily get a good standing/sleeping AND sitting fit with the same taping.

And when in doubt, go large. Undersize diapers have more issues - poor drainage, popping/breaking tapes, uncomfortable, compressed jewels, etc. I'm of the opinion anyone can get a decent fit out of even a somewhat oversize diaper with proper taping. (also, before I put on this xplus last night, which are a bit to long for me and have a lot of "dead plastic" on the front end, I use a scissors to trim off 1/2 of that dead plastic - about 1.5", from the entire top end)

Thanks, I'll have a go :)

I always start with the lower tapes (personal preference), and stick them on about 1/2" from the bottom, and straight across. I then stick the top tapes on. Also straight across and as high as their spacing from the lower tapes will allow. Ideally this should be above your hips or your diaper will sag and fall down to the point you'll need something else to hold them up.

Overall you should have a snug fit around the legs. Generally you should be able to get a couple of fingers under the leg cuffs without too much problem. The waist should also be snug, where you can get four fingers under the waist band, but not you whole hand.

Also, the front and back of the waist band should extend up to your waist. This is roughly about your belly button. Don't get this confused with your hips line either. Lastly, the side panels should overlap each other by at least a couple of inches, or more. But not so much the tapes are overlapping each other too.

Follow these guidelines and you should get a good and decent fit each time.

Slomo said:
I always start with the lower tapes (personal preference), and stick them on about 1/2" from the bottom, and straight across. I then stick the top tapes on. Also straight across and as high as their spacing from the lower tapes will allow. Ideally this should be above your hips or your diaper will sag and fall down to the point you'll need something else to hold them up.

Overall you should have a snug fit around the legs. Generally you should be able to get a couple of fingers under the leg cuffs without too much problem. The waist should also be snug, where you can get four fingers under the waist band, but not you whole hand.

Also, the front and back of the waist band should extend up to your waist. This is roughly about your belly button. Don't get this confused with your hips line either. Lastly, the side panels should overlap each other by at least a couple of inches, or more. But not so much the tapes are overlapping each other too.

Follow these guidelines and you should get a good and decent fit each time.

Thanks [emoji120] I do need practise. Problem with plastic backed you really can't re adjust too much

Above all make sure you diaper is centered. most diapers after wearing them will show a "profile" as in it will show its flex points , make sure that you observe these because if you tape on them , that tape is subject to failure, of course this is easier if you stay with the same brands , I sit full time and have found for sitting I get the best fit from laying down when applying the diaper, basicsly it's gravity assisted diapering because you abdominal area shrinks a bit when laying down , when you sit up it expands , that expansion can sometimes "make up" for a multitude of "sins" if you don't feel like you taped it tight enough you expand when you sit up and it takes up the slack. I also have rather prominent hip bones ( i am a skinny dude) so I usually use them to my advantage by "hooking" the top tapes over them , it keeps my diaper pretty secure , I also wear onesies over my diaper for daily use , for traveling I use Northshore which need some compression to keep my pants fitting well so I wear an Abena body stocking , of course if your not needing diapers full time ,lots of onesie and body stockings may be too much but the Abena fixing pants would be good for almost everyone .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

07gp6465 said:
Thanks [emoji120] I do need practise. Problem with plastic backed you really can't re adjust too much

Ahh... your posts take me back to when I was 21 and tried adult diapers for the first time! It's quite hard to get a good fit until you get a bit of practice.

I find the best way to tape up a diaper is to do it laying down on your bed. Try and get the front and back evenly centred, and with the height roughly the same at the front and back of the diaper (maybe a bit higher at the back).

Pull the diaper up so that it's snug in your groin, and apply the two lower tapes first. I find that it helps to smooth the wings out so that they're completely flat and taut. You don't want the lower tapes to be too close to the leg elastic -- they need to be a bit higher and away from the leg cuffs.

When the bottom tapes have been stuck, lift your bum and pull the diaper up and allow it to find its own centred snugness. Then pull the edges of the front wings so that they're smooth, flat and symmetrical. then apply the top tapes. It usually helps if you can get the top of the rear waistband over your hips, and then angle the top tapes downwards slightly.

I hope that helps a bit. :smile:

tiny said:
Ahh... your posts take me back to when I was 21 and tried adult diapers for the first time! It's quite hard to get a good fit until you get a bit of practice.

I find the best way to tape up a diaper is to do it laying down on your bed. Try and get the front and back evenly centred, and with the height roughly the same at the front and back of the diaper (maybe a bit higher at the back).

Pull the diaper up so that it's snug in your groin, and apply the two lower tapes first. I find that it helps to smooth the wings out so that they're completely flat and taut. You don't want the lower tapes to be too close to the leg elastic -- they need to be a bit higher and away from the leg cuffs.

When the bottom tapes have been stuck, lift your bum and pull the diaper up and allow it to find its own centred snugness. Then pull the edges of the front wings so that they're smooth, flat and symmetrical. then apply the top tapes. It usually helps if you can get the top of the rear waistband over your hips, and then angle the top tapes downwards slightly.

I hope that helps a bit. :smile:

Thank youuu! I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. Will my nappy stay tight or will it come loose as the day goes on? [emoji12]

Tetra said:
Above all make sure you diaper is centered. most diapers after wearing them will show a "profile" as in it will show its flex points , make sure that you observe these because if you tape on them , that tape is subject to failure, of course this is easier if you stay with the same brands , I sit full time and have found for sitting I get the best fit from laying down when applying the diaper, basicsly it's gravity assisted diapering because you abdominal area shrinks a bit when laying down , when you sit up it expands , that expansion can sometimes "make up" for a multitude of "sins" if you don't feel like you taped it tight enough you expand when you sit up and it takes up the slack. I also have rather prominent hip bones ( i am a skinny dude) so I usually use them to my advantage by "hooking" the top tapes over them , it keeps my diaper pretty secure , I also wear onesies over my diaper for daily use , for traveling I use Northshore which need some compression to keep my pants fitting well so I wear an Abena body stocking , of course if your not needing diapers full time ,lots of onesie and body stockings may be too much but the Abena fixing pants would be good for almost everyone .

Hi, I'm a skinny guy too! I only wear id slips I find them to be best and the tapes are STRONG! Would wearing briefs (tighter big boy pants [emoji52]) over the top help you think? When I'm wet I feel like nappy will fall off. Thanks though x

Yes "big boy pants" will help especially if they are on the tighter side, of course there are some places on the net that sell diaper suspenders to help keep them up if big boy pants are not enough. There are various ways to do it , you can even put a single wrap of packing tape around you to help hold them up .

I should also mention that once you do have a good fit, study and memorize where the tapes ended up at. Pay attention to landmarks on the diaper, such as the edge of the padding underneath, the elastic crimpling, edge of the diaper, any marking on the diaper , or whatever. The next time you diaper up just put the tapes in the same spot and you'll automatically have a good fit each time.

Slomo said:
I should also mention that once you do have a good fit, study and memorize where the tapes ended up at. Pay attention to landmarks on the diaper, such as the edge of the padding underneath, the elastic crimpling, edge of the diaper, any marking on the diaper , or whatever. The next time you diaper up just put the tapes in the same spot and you'll automatically have a good fit each time.

Got ya!

Tetra said:
Yes "big boy pants" will help especially if they are on the tighter side, of course there are some places on the net that sell diaper suspenders to help keep them up if big boy pants are not enough. There are various ways to do it , you can even put a single wrap of packing tape around you to help hold them up .

Thank you! I knew they'd come in handy ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back