McDonald's Happy Meal Toys

yellowcrayons

(。>﹏<)
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Not sure if a thread like this exists already but I thought I'd mention this.

I still get McDonald's Happy Meals to this day and the toys sure have changed over time. Now it's just cardboard cut outs mainly with a few plastic figurines here and there, and they're lackluster at best. It's a far cry from their mini games, key chains, vhs tapes, stuffies, and more interactive plastic figures from the early 2000's and late 90's which is primarily when I got Happy Meals. I remember a distinct decline but I'm not sure when it started exactly.

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks of this, and more importantly what your favorite happy meal toy was growing up? I collected their Polly Pockets and Hello Kitty collection when it came around. Drove my mom nuts haha! If I could get a hold of them again I certainly would.

ec836ac4c21f59a1dbf8c94a12ad4be8.jpg

Reactions: Angelapinks
yellowcrayons said:
Not sure if a thread like this exists already but I thought I'd mention this.

I still get McDonald's Happy Meals to this day and the toys sure have changed over time. Now it's just cardboard cut outs mainly with a few plastic figurines here and there, and they're lackluster at best. It's a far cry from their mini games, key chains, vhs tapes, stuffies, and more interactive plastic figures from the early 2000's and late 90's which is primarily when I got Happy Meals. I remember a distinct decline but I'm not sure when it started exactly.

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks of this, and more importantly what your favorite happy meal toy was growing up? I collected their Polly Pockets and Hello Kitty collection when it came around. Drove my mom nuts haha! If I could get a hold of them again I certainly would.

View attachment 135079
I still have quite a few of those toys from the 80's.

• Love
Reactions: AndyPandy and yellowcrayons
Angelapinks said:
I still have quite a few of those toys from the 80's.
Really? What was your favorite toy from McDonald's if you can remember? Do you still have it?

yellowcrayons said:
Really? What was your favorite toy from McDonald's if you can remember? Do you still have it?
I have a cute white and pink Hello Kitty still in the wrapper. I want to take it out and put it on my computer but don't want the value to drop, if I ever wanted to sell them.

• Wow
Reactions: yellowcrayons
Yeah that's fair! You'd be surprised at how much those hello kitty keychains are going for and they're opened!

Favorite toy from McDonald's has to be the Bioncile Matorans or the Mctorans as theyre known. They were a great entry to the Lego series and wish I still had all of them.

As for the Hello Kitty stuff you posted, seen the Sanrio Yugioh crossover they have in Canada and Belgium recently?

Noodle said:
Favorite toy from McDonald's has to be the Bioncile Matorans or the Mctorans as theyre known. They were a great entry to the Lego series and wish I still had all of them.

As for the Hello Kitty stuff you posted, seen the Sanrio Yugioh crossover they have in Canada and Belgium recently?
Wow that's awesome I'm just now looking up the Sanrio/Yu-Gi-Oh crossover they're doing and I wish my McDonald's was participating!!

Screenshot_20240426_184737.jpg
Are these by chance what you're referring to?

yellowcrayons said:
Wow that's awesome I'm just now looking up the Sanrio/Yu-Gi-Oh crossover they're doing and I wish my McDonald's was participating!!
Right? Personally want to get the Blue Eyes x Cinnamon Roll and Purin x Exodia plushies. I think Canada has them at the moment so chances are the US might too. Worst case I buy them for $9 on Ebay.
yellowcrayons said:
View attachment 135082
Are these by chance what you're referring to?
Yes those are the ones.

I miss the ty babies they had from the 90's. That was my childhood collecting them with my mom because they would turn into collectables one day and we'd be rich lol ohmy

• Love
Reactions: yellowcrayons and Angelapinks
I still get the happy meals not because of the toys but because it comes with a small fry substitute instead of the apples. Also, it comes in a 6 piece McNuggets and a drink which is less than the cost of an adult size McNugget meal.

Tigercub59 said:
I still get the happy meals not because of the toys but because it comes with a small fry substitute instead of the apples. Also, it comes in a 6 piece McNuggets and a drink which is less than the cost of an adult size McNugget meal.
Exactly what I thought too! You get fries and a drink and 6 nuggets which is only a few less than the adult meal. Way better deal in my opinion. Plus I feel like the portions are perfect and not too much.

Reactions: Tigercub59
yellowcrayons said:
Exactly what I thought too! You get fries and a drink and 6 nuggets which is only a few less than the adult meal. Way better deal in my opinion. Plus I feel like the portions are perfect and not too much.
I'm from Canada and here the happy meal only has 4 nuggets and the regular adult meal is 6. There is a 10 nugget option though.

As for my favourite toy growing up, the Inspector Gadget toy from the movie was pretty cool. You got a different piece every week and you could assemble them to make a large action figure!

LilPaddedBunny said:
I'm from Canada and here the happy meal only has 4 nuggets and the regular adult meal is 6. There is a 10 nugget option though.
Wow the difference in portions is certainly something! I didn't know that. They do have a 4 piece option for the kiddos but they offer 6 nuggets as well.
LilPaddedBunny said:
As for my favourite toy growing up, the Inspector Gadget toy from the movie was pretty cool. You got a different piece every week and you could assemble them to make a large action figure!
That sounds really cool! I'd love to collect all the pieces and assemble them together. I also loved Inspector Gadget growing up, and would've loved to have an action figure of him in my collection.

yellowcrayons said:
Wow the difference in portions is certainly something! I didn't know that. They do have a 4 piece option for the kiddos but they offer 6 nuggets as well.

That sounds really cool! I'd love to collect all the pieces and assemble them together. I also loved Inspector Gadget growing up, and would've loved to have an action figure of him in my collection.
I loved the 80s Inspector Gadget cartoon! I didn't like the 1999 movie but the McDonald's toy was pretty cool. My younger brother collected them and I think he had all the pieces except the hat, so he basically had the full figure. Each piece did something different. The legs extended, one of the arms was a water gun, and so on.

Parents complaints were mostly responsible for the toys' disappearance, largely for being caught underfoot a'la Legos...and equally painful. Also, thrift shops complained they were deluged with literally tons of the secondhand toys, which seemed to never sell.

Best-selling Happy Meal toys: TY Beanie Babies.
Worst-selling Happy Meal toys: fitness watches.

I stopped buying Happy Meals for myself: I always ended up a few fries short. 🤣

I remember my daughter sending me off to get happy meals as she was collecting the beanie babies. She collected quite a few.

Reactions: Angelapinks, yellowcrayons and BobbiSueEllen
MacDonalds toys from my childhood are my specialty! My favourite by far is the neopets, and ‘the dog collection’. Here’s my collection!

image.jpg

I have a double of the red ‘wocky’ who I bring in for baths and swimming, just like when I was little. I love how it’s tail swishes around in water and it dries very quick cause it’s small so very little chance of it moulding or anything.

image.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Angelapinks, yellowcrayons and BobbiSueEllen
dogboy said:
I remember my daughter sending me off to get happy meals as she was collecting the beanie babies. She collected quite a few.
My Bestie's GF collected 'em...she managed a McD's, collected 3 of everything, kept 'em in a McD's bag under the seat of his K5 Blazer.

On May 17 of '97, we took said Blazer across the Cascades to see Rush at the epic The Gorge Amphitheatre for a second2none concert; we got back to the Blazer and, while waiting for traffic to thin, he starts auctioning Beanie Babies for beers...and got smashed. It was a spectacle, full of raucous laughter.

When all had cleared, I drove us to Ellensburg, we camped out at a hotel, pigging out on a BOGO Taco Bell feast...they doubled our order, free, with stuff they had left after the Rush rush. We cleaned 'em out, they shut down after we left due to running out of food. 🥳

Next day, Bestie got smashed a second time...by his GF: her 3 of everything had been whittled down to one of everything plus two of a few. 🫢 She looked at me...I pleaded sobriety. 🤣

• Haha
Back