What was your first car?

NappiedTruckDriver said:
How was the 0 to 100kms 0 to 60mph measured ?
seconds or minutes šŸ¤£
Once saw a data sheet for an Audi 80 B4 with 1.9 TDI on which the 0-100 km/h said 'yes, eventually'

• Haha
Reactions: KBoy and Pino
2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4-cyl. I bought it in 2019 for $700 and I still drive it to this day. It needed quite a bit of brake and wheel bearing work after buying, but so far the money I put into it is paying off. It's not much, but it's mine...and it's reliable.

She just hit 307k miles on the odometer a few weeks ago. It's got some suspension issues (rear-right wheel bottoms out in below-freezing temperatures), the windshield washing fluid pump died on me a year ago, and the roof leaks onto the driver's seat when it rains. Despite these minor issues, I love this car. Engine and Transmission are still solid, but she definitely needs some love this summer.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and KBoy
NappiedTruckDriver said:
How was the 0 to 100kms 0 to 60mph measured ?
seconds or minutes šŸ¤£
18,5 seconds to 100km/h and 96 decibel while standing. 54HP.

Last edited:
ThatDiaperDude said:
2001 Opel Corsa. Made me swear to never buy an Opel again lol. Didn't even had that many kilometers on it when I bought it, but still spent almost as much time in the workshop as on the street.
That was my experience with an Opel; bought a new Opel 1900 Sport Coupe in 1972, I thought I was getting good German engineering; what I got was a German Vega. I traded it for a 1972 Toyota Celica, which was a nicer car in every way...except for handling.

• Haha
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
vp39 said:
I thought I was getting good German engineering; what I got was a German Vega...
I laughed so hard! As someone who has driven 1900s and owned a Vega, you hit the nail square on. The Vega could've been okay but its 2.3 engine was an engineering disaster. The best fix for a Vega is either a 2.5 Iron Duke with 5-speed...or a 283 and 2-speed Powerglide or Turbo 350. A 700R4 would do, too.

BBBen said:
No no no trash Bucket - its the east german wonder on the highway and an eastalgic thing nowadays. The cool thing is, that you could repair the car with evrything šŸ«£
There has never been a car like that - and they are driving still in these days
Renn nen nen nen nen nen šŸ¤£
I agree. It was a production of another political and economic system, in that years Trabant and another eastern cars were usefull vehicles. And it's true: I could repair it in every situation.

Reactions: BBBen and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
I laughed so hard! As someone who has driven 1900s and owned a Vega, you hit the nail square on. The Vega could've been okay but its 2.3 engine was an engineering disaster. The best fix for a Vega is either a 2.5 Iron Duke with 5-speed...or a 283 and 2-speed Powerglide or Turbo 350. A 700R4 would do, too.
GM was doing that a lot in the 1960's - 1980's - using their paying customers as beta testers. By the time 1976 rolled around the Vega had become a decent car...then they dropped it.

Reactions: Kirisin and BobbiSueEllen
vp39 said:
GM was doing that a lot in the 1960's - 1980's - using their paying customers as beta testers. By the time 1976 rolled around the Vega had become a decent car...then they dropped it.
That's because the Japanese got their act dialed in. We were still thinking boxes on 4 wheels...they were learning from tracks, rallies, you name it, and making what they learned & improved from available to the common consumer. They listened...and acted. We're still struggling, despite the billions Detroit spends on flash & macho to sell a mediocre product. I'll take Japanese anyday...even my 'Murican-made minivan has a Mitsubishi engine: 6G72 3.0 V6, 150 hp & 175 ft. lbs. of torque...and great mileage, to boot! šŸ„³šŸ„°

BTW, @vp39 , look up the Vega in Wikipedia. There were a lot of innovations in it but because the rest was not thought out as well, they got reduced to novelties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirisin
mnrebel said:
1959 ford Fairlane
I had a 1968 ford fairlane four door 390 V8 green with green interior I paid a whopping $500 for it in 1988. The person selling it spent a lot of money trying to fix it and was unsuccessful, I bought my uncle who was a mechanic with me and a box of parts. I asked if he could look it over while I paid her for the car she agreed and I paid for it and while she was signing the title and I was signing it he got it started and he drove off and I drove his truck back to the shop. Apparently the new distributor and coil were bad. He gave it a once over and all was good

2016 Hyundai Elantra.

vp39 said:
That was my experience with an Opel; bought a new Opel 1900 Sport Coupe in 1972, I thought I was getting good German engineering; what I got was a German Vega. I traded it for a 1972 Toyota Celica, which was a nicer car in every way...except for handling.
my first new car was a 1972 Toyota Celica, loved that car it only had a 4 speed they came with a 5 speed in 73

My first car was a 1995 Volkswagen Jetta 5 speed manual transmission. I got it from my boss at the time. We agreed on a $500 price. I drove it for approximately 6 months before it blew a head gasket. I had only paid $300 for it and put a $100 into it for repair. After it stopped running my boss told me to forget about the remaining $200 I owed him. I was able to junk it for $400. It was the first manual transmission I had driven. So in my mind I was able to learn a manual transmission and drive for 6 months for practically nothing. I really hated that car though. No heat. No AC. Only the front passenger window worked. The exhaust was loud as hell. But it got me from point A to B for 6 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy and BobbiSueEllen
A 1968 Pontiac Tempest which I traded with my uncle by painting the outside of his house, I was 17.

1966 Oldsmobile Cutless

My second car was a Datsun B210 and then 6 months later a Chrysler Cordoba talk about a culture shock 0-60 in 6 minutes to 0-60 in 6 seconds

my first car was a 1970 mustang. it had some rusty spots rusty parts on it.

@BobbiSueEllen, "look up the Vega in Wikipedia." I hardly need to do that, the damn things were all over the place, and their frailties were known to everyone. I'll bet that they even got dragged through the mud at ladies' aid meetings! A cousin owned one, and I remember hauling a Vega motor in my pickup to his house...I think it was his second or third. His Vega was a pos; the door bushings on the driver's door were gone, not just worn
I bought a new 1975 Monza 2-2 hatchback, a V8 4-speed car, and had lots of fun with it. it was one of the first cruisers I'd driven...2000 rpm at 80 mph in fourth...but it did have its weaknesses, and it was gone by 100k miles.

vp39 said:
@BobbiSueEllen, "look up the Vega in Wikipedia." I hardly need to do that, the damn things were all over the place, and their frailties were known to everyone. I'll bet that they even got dragged through the mud at ladies' aid meetings! A cousin owned one, and I remember hauling a Vega motor in my pickup to his house...I think it was his second or third. His Vega was a pos; the door bushings on the driver's door were gone, not just worn
I bought a new 1975 Monza 2-2 hatchback, a V8 4-speed car, and had lots of fun with it. it was one of the first cruisers I'd driven...2000 rpm at 80 mph in fourth...but it did have its weaknesses, and it was gone by 100k miles.
Oh, I gotcha...but look at all that work, that innovation they put into the car...which ultimately failed. It was all clever stuff that ended up as a Band-Aid on a compound fracture. Seriously, read up.

I know so many people who pine after getting their first car back for nostalgia. I don't! I had a 83 Chevy Chevette which was very used by the time I got it becasue my budget was $800 lol. It was utter garbage! I hope never to even sit in one of those again, which I don't worry about b/c those are probably all gone now anyway. So underpowered, rough and ugly. I then graduated to Honda Accords and never looked back.

depta99 said:
I know so many people who pine after getting their first car back for nostalgia. I don't! I had a 83 Chevy Chevette which was very used by the time I got it becasue my budget was $800 lol. It was utter garbage! I hope never to even sit in one of those again, which I don't worry about b/c those are probably all gone now anyway. So underpowered, rough and ugly. I then graduated to Honda Accords and never looked back.
Ha. growing up, my neighbor across the street worked for GM and his entire family drives several Chevettes. Every weekend, I'd see him working on the Chevette for any issues. Whenever my parents had issues with their Suburban or Delta 88, he'd fix them for us at cost plus some labor. Would never buy any of the GM vehicles after I have seen them. I'm a Ford and Nissan guy.

Back