Preferences between plastic baked and cloth backed disposable nappies

boredofwheelchair

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I know this has been discussed before (many times)

But I wonder if the preference between plastic backed and cloth backed disposable nappies is a generational thing, see I prefer plastic backed nappies I wonder if this partly due to the fact that is what I wore as a baby of the late 80's/early 90's but also because I feel more secure that they are not going to leak, I know that cloth backed nappies actually have a plastic backing too as without it they would just leak but sometimes whilst wearing a cloth backed nappy I feel like they perspire slightly and leave a slightly damp feeling, also all cloth backed adult disposable nappies (& some plastic backed ones too) seem to have breathable side panels which are porous to make them breathable, although I do actually slightly prefer hook and loop tapes,.

I do wonder if members under 25 prefer cloth backed disposables more as that is what they are more likely to have grown up with?

I also wonder if the baby nappy market was able to make the wholesale switch to cloth backed because there isn't the institutional memory of what plastic backed nappies were like since babies/toddlers only wear nappies for about 3/4 years on average before getting clean.

Sorry couldn't think of a better title

I prefer the plastic backed I have a bit more faith in them protecting my clothes plus CRINKLE!!

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, checkingoutall, 2012Stroke and 2 others
Plastic backed are my favourite. The tapes stick better and they feel so much more secure even when fully wet

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, checkingoutall, boredofwheelchair and 2 others
I prefer plastic backed because the cloth-like ones get a damp and clammy feeling in the crotch, also they don’t do a great job of containing odor.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, checkingoutall and boredofwheelchair
plastin backed for me. I was born in the 60s so it was the cloth diapers.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and checkingoutall
like so many others, plastic backed is what I prefer. The cloth backed seam to leak through the outer layer when you soak them really well. I do like using the cloth backed ones as double/triple diapers. They are so much easier to poke holes through allowing it to seep through to the next diaper.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, boredofwheelchair and Diaper44
I wear cotton panties between the diaper and plastic pants. I have noticed that the cloth backed diapers will sweat when they start getting full and the panties feel slightly damp.

I knew of a few people who grew up with the cloth backed types. So when they saw some of the older vintage thick plastic ones were quite amazed. They seemed intrigued at how thick they used to be and the noisy plastic. In my mind those were really the only type diapers I grew up in and used . So today I only like the thick plastic ABDl diapers.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Plastic backed all day way...... All day long 🙌

• Love
It's about 50/50 for me honestly. Early 90s means I was in plastic backing, but I explored my childhood interest in cloth backed. So naturally I have more if a connection with cloth, but I find Rearz plastic to be my favorite overall

I prefer cloth backed; it's softer and more comfortable, plus I get self-conscious about the crinkling sound when I'm out in public. Attends and Northshore make some good cloth backed diapers, but I have yet to find any AB diapers with cloth backing that didn't also have the uncomfortable scratchy plastic landing zone.

I would prefer plastic backed although cloth backed is kinda nice with it being breathable but im afraid that it cannot hold due to it being cloth and pee would seep though, it of course will not leak as it is after all a diaper that has R&D but its like a mental thing to me haha.

If you are an ABDL who likes to really wet, the cloth backed diapers will tend to sweat through the wetness. Even though they do have plastic inside the cloth backing, they are designed to be somewhat breathable. Hence the sweat through. I believe the baby diaper manufacturers went to the cloth type disposables because you tend to change a baby’s diaper as soon as you detect wetness. Since babies will spend more time in a dry diaper, the breathability is more important.
Being a typical, I think, DL, I prefer plastic although the cloth disposables are definitely more discrete.

I'm 70 and I don't really remember what diapers I wore as a baby, but in the early 1950s I'm pretty sure they were cloth diapers.

I started exploring diapers again in the past year and a half after having prostate surgery. Thank God it was not due to cancer and now I can get by with just a male guard if I have to, but after Covid became a thing I didn't want to use public restrooms when I had to leave the house. Furthermore, with church and several other organizations, meetings have moved online and missing parts of due to bathroom breaks is inconvenient.

After some trials, I prefer plastic backed diapers. Right now I am still wearing my night time diaper, a tie-dye MegaMax.

If you’d asked me 6 months ago I would have definitely said I preferred cloth-backed but I’ve upgraded from buying medical brands of diapers to ABDL brands and as ABDL diapers nearly all seem to be plastic backed they’re now what I’m used to and I think I may prefer plastic now.

For me I don’t think what I wore as an infant has had any bearing on my preference, my diapers would have been plastic-backed but I have no memory of being in diapers and I don’t really remember plastic-backed diapers as the change to cloth happened when I was a child. The first diapers I ever worn as a teen were Goodnites which were cloth-backed but then once I worked out how to source brands like Tena, Molicare, Abena etc I think I wore a mix of plastic and cloth depending on the brand.

I’m a plastic backed fan for sure. Cloth back does nothing for me. And you don’t get that amazing crinkle sound.

Reactions: Sgdlboy
I think it’s largely, but not entirely, generational. On the rare occasion you'll find me alive in a disposable, it'll be clothlike backed. I wore plastic backed disposables as a baby, and then, as an older, disabled child, what was available to me was plastic backed, disposable, and loud, and scratchy, and hard to get in and out of, and prone to falling apart, and obnoxious. It was bad. My entire nervous system revolts against it.

Most people want what they wore as a baby. My sensory issues meant that what I had as a baby was more or less inflicted on me. I run in the complete opposite direction, now.

Jackieinwbpa said:
I prefer the plastic backed I have a bit more faith in them protecting my clothes plus CRINKLE!!
The crinkle is such an enjoyable part of the experience of wearing a diaper for me. But the OP is right, at least as it relates to me, that plastic backed were the ones I had as an infant. So that may have something to do with it

Back