My new struggle

BWAron

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
About a year or so ago, I started noticing that I was not completely emptying when I would go to the toilet, and I would have to stand there longer and longer. Then I noticed that when I got home and changed, that my underwear was a little moist, but not bad enough to leak through to the pants. Then one night, my wife woke me up, and I had wet the bed. No big deal. I haven't done this since I was 12. Well a couple of more major accidents, and my wife takes me kicking and screaming to our family doctor. She orders some tests, does some poking and prodding, and two weeks later, she tells me that my prostrate is really really large, and that with my previous bedwetting as a child and the meds that I am on, is the reason for the bedwetting and the leaks and small accidents.

We talk about the medicine options and that was the last thing I wanted, already on to many lol. So she said the next best option was protection, and she left the room. I had already purchased some male guards and that was helping. I started to leave and she came back in and handed my wife a bag of stuff and told me that there were some samples of adult incontinence products in there for me to try. I looked in the bag and about freaked, well I did. I was so embarrassed that I walked out and went straight to the car.

So now for the first time in 38 years (I'm 51 now), I am in a diaper at night, and pullups and / or male guards during the day and have been for the past 9 or so months. I am slowly getting used to them. But still don't like it.

• Love
Reactions: sport1, Wetshisbed and niteboy
I'm at the 'not completely emptying' stage, and occasional male guard wearer... I know my stomach sank when my wife found my guard still in the underware on the floor and said 'you left your diaper out'...

Reactions: BWAron
Some of us had interests in diapers before any medical reasons. That kinda makes it easier to adopt to having to wear a diaper.

Reactions: FudgedInLuvs, BWAron and Kintobor
BWAron said:
About a year or so ago, I started noticing that I was not completely emptying when I would go to the toilet, and I would have to stand there longer and longer. Then I noticed that when I got home and changed, that my underwear was a little moist, but not bad enough to leak through to the pants. Then one night, my wife woke me up, and I had wet the bed. No big deal. I haven't done this since I was 12. Well a couple of more major accidents, and my wife takes me kicking and screaming to our family doctor. She orders some tests, does some poking and prodding, and two weeks later, she tells me that my prostrate is really really large, and that with my previous bedwetting as a child and the meds that I am on, is the reason for the bedwetting and the leaks and small accidents.

We talk about the medicine options and that was the last thing I wanted, already on to many lol. So she said the next best option was protection, and she left the room. I had already purchased some male guards and that was helping. I started to leave and she came back in and handed my wife a bag of stuff and told me that there were some samples of adult incontinence products in there for me to try. I looked in the bag and about freaked, well I did. I was so embarrassed that I walked out and went straight to the car.

So now for the first time in 38 years (I'm 51 now), I am in a diaper at night, and pullups and / or male guards during the day and have been for the past 9 or so months. I am slowly getting used to them. But still don't like it.
BWAron said:

Taks some gtting usd to but I promise you after a year or two it will all just feel normal. I have been in nappies 24/7 for the last eight years. Your story sounds so like mine.

ST50 said:
Taks some gtting usd to but I promise you after a year or two it will all just feel normal. I have been in nappies 24/7 for the last eight years. Your story sounds so like mine.
Thanks. Hopefully I will get used to them. The meds we tried didn't work as well as we thought. Plus the other meds I am on ramp up urine output. lol. Vicious cycle.

Josh24 said:
Some of us had interests in diapers before any medical reasons. That kinda makes it easier to adopt to having to wear a diaper.
Agreed.

BWAron said:
Thanks. Hopefully I will get used to them. The meds we tried didn't work as well as we thought. Plus the other meds I am on ramp up urine output. lol. Vicious cycle.
I think you should accept that you are back in nappies for life now.
How does that make you feel?

Adair37 said:
I think you should accept that you are back in nappies for life now.
How does that make you feel?
You are probably right. That is what my doctor says. I keep telling myself it could be worse. Everyday, I seem to take at least a step in the right direction.

Thanks

BWAron said:
You are probably right. That is what my doctor says. I keep telling myself it could be worse. Everyday, I seem to take at least a step in the right direction.

Thanks
You're welcome. The secret after accepting that you have to wear nappies is to enjoy them. It is possible.

Adair37 said:
You're welcome. The secret after accepting that you have to wear nappies is to enjoy them. It is possible.
A positive attitude towards wearing makes it much less of a task. It also makes it far less noticeable to the general public if you don’t look like you’re miserable or doing something wrong and trying to get away with it. Stay padded, but make it your choice.

I don't know why you and others in America talk about being padded when you mean diapered, or as I say
Nappied. You should use the right words. You are diapered, or in nappies as I would say.

Reactions: Kyma and BWAron
Adair37 said:
I don't know why you and others in America talk about being padded when you mean diapered, or as I say
Nappied. You should use the right words. You are diapered, or in nappies as I would say.
Yah, you Brits have been accusing us colonists of perverting the Queen’s English ever since the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. Stay NAPPIED!!!

Zeke said:
Yah, you Brits have been accusing us colonists of perverting the Queen’s English ever since the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. Stay NAPPIED!!!
Oh your role model is Donald Trump. I didn't realise.

Actually as a Brit I quite like ’padded’. Nappied or diapered are good but the shock of having to suddenly wear unfamiliar underwear, that has far reaching consequences, any metaphor that softens the blow will do!

Reactions: AComputerGuy
BWAron said:

After being diagnosed with incontinence and in diapers 24/7 for almost three years I’ve gotten used to it, now they are just normal I just had to accept that I need diapers and when they became just another undergarment my anxiety lessened. Things will get better and acceptance will cone

Reactions: hoimi and BWAron
Hi BWAron,

For me, it also starts shortly after 50. I am not sure if this is a consolation, but it is actually much more common that there are problems with urinary retention with prostate complaints. This is then much more unpleasant and burdensome, because that often means ISC or surgery, which in the worst case then leads to incontinence again ... In case of doubt, you are better off if it runn‘s uncontrolled - than if it dosen't. Don't let it frustrate you.

Teddy02 said:
Actually as a Brit I quite like ’padded’. Nappied or diapered are good but the shock of having to suddenly wear unfamiliar underwear, that has far reaching consequences, any metaphor that softens the blow will do!
Your reasoning is great! Nouns such as Nappy & Diaper are quick to the point and lead immediately to that quick-ending picture in one's mind. Saying 'padded" does "soften the blow". If I ever end up in a full diaper again later in life I would want someone else that already knows to ask about my "padding" rather than my "diaper". i.e. "Did your padding (or protection) work well for you last night?"

Reactions: AComputerGuy and Teddy02
BWAron said:

Thanks
Thanks BWAron for your post. You and I are roughly the same age and right now I wear adult training underwear and pp at night but mostly for security / mental reasons since I only have a significant (front of trainers moderately wet) wetting about 2 - 4 times per year (I just do not know what 2- 4 nights of the year it will be!). I had NE off / on up to age 11 or so and wore the whole gamut of bw protection back then (no pullups then, probably would have leaked anyway). In college it came back and based on my earlier NE as a youth it was actually easier for me me to put myself back into diapers and pp (and with an understanding roommate and partners in relationships the next several years that mostly understood my situation). After college I was fine again and went "normal" at night until around age 30 or so the several times a year the sheets got wet made me quite perturbed since I knew what I could wear at night to stop this.

So I am where I noted above again at age 50+ and am fine with it and so is my wife. I do realize that it could change someday with my age but my doctor says he knows of no studies done that looked at older men requiring diapers again by a certain age since they had NE as a youth into their earlier teens (or later). I am thankful I have full control during the day as this I think is the hardest time to be IC and handle it while out of the house. Best of luck to you on this all smoothing out for you.

Adair37 said:

Adair,

Your countryman once stated:
What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I don't know that I would necessarily use the word "sweet" to describe the smell of a diaper, nappy, padding, brief, underwear or protection.

While each of these are synonyms they all of have different connotations and are not 100% interchangeable. Die-hard ABs and DLs are more comfortable using the word diapers / nappies but most others try to avoid them. Being a DL I prefer The term diaper (or omutsu - Japanese for diaper) but I use the word protection when referring to someone else's needs.

-Ieyasu

Reactions: hoimi and TheWolfEmperor
Adair37 said:
Tbf this is in the incontinence section and when talking about these products too adults nearly all professionals will stay away from the words nappy or diaper they have negative associations because they are related too babies and majority of people do not want too be associated with babies when they are dealing with medical issues most people call them pads or protective underwear etc

Back