What's Yours? 🤷‍♀️

Not a fear as such, more of a sensory thing I guess, but does anyone else HATE touching or being touched by Cotton balls. Yessss.... I said cotton balls. lol. the feeling is similar to what you get when someone describes chewing on tin foil or nails on a chalk board. When I open a medicine bottle and see cotton? Someone else has to take it out and I cant watch. 🫣

Reactions: ShyGirl91
Littleman42 said:
Not a fear as such, more of a sensory thing I guess, but does anyone else HATE touching or being touched by Cotton balls. Yessss.... I said cotton balls. lol. the feeling is similar to what you get when someone describes chewing on tin foil or nails on a chalk board. When I open a medicine bottle and see cotton? Someone else has to take it out and I cant watch. 🫣
I guess it's not quite that bad for me since I can take the cotton stuff out of the bottles but I do hate it

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 64479
Bnuuy said:
I guess it's not quite that bad for me since I can take the cotton stuff out of the bottles but I do hate it
Yay! Im not alone! :love:

Littleman42 said:
YES! I hate the feeling of cotton balls. While I can use cotton pads to clean my face, I can't stand the feeling of cotton balls.
I also can't stand touching that foam stuff on headphones. I hate the feeling of velvet and also my teeth rubbing against cloth. All of those give me unpleasant goosebumps. Can't stand it. Along with squeaking of wet shoes on the floor. **shudders**

• Love
Reactions: PaddedRita and Deleted member 64479
Dial said:
absolutely TERRIFIED of dentists
and also have tokophobia
Snap - same here! Plus claustrophobia and a gibbering fear of anything medical (not sure what the official term for that is)

ShyGirl91 said:
YES! I hate the feeling of cotton balls. While I can use cotton pads to clean my face, I can't stand the feeling of cotton balls.
I also can't stand touching that foam stuff on headphones. I hate the feeling of velvet and also my teeth rubbing against cloth. All of those give me unpleasant goosebumps. Can't stand it. Along with squeaking of wet shoes on the floor. **shudders**
and... MICROFIBER! those cleaning cloths? 😫

Reactions: WetKat and ShyGirl91
Littleman42 said:
and... MICROFIBER! those cleaning cloths? 😫
YES!!! Hate those, too!

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 64479
ShyGirl91 said:
Was this a phobia that happened from a traumatic event or have you always been afraid of them? (Just curious. No worries if you'd rather not say. 🩵)
It's difficult to explain, first time I remember it sparking was when I was with a dog at my grandmother's house when I was like 6. Kept getting followed and chased and the fear of being bitten or whatnot happened (fyi this wasn't my granny's dog). Really any animal approaching me without me trying makes me somewhat uncomfortable, but especially with dogs. I swear to God I'm a lure for them as well...

r9mp9sitdg771.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: PaddedRita, dogboy, Kirisin and 1 other person
LucasFromTazmily said:
It's difficult to explain, first time I remember it sparking was when I was with a dog at my grandmother's house when I was like 6. Kept getting followed and chased and the fear of being bitten or whatnot happened (fyi this wasn't my granny's dog). Really any animal approaching me without me trying makes me somewhat uncomfortable, but especially with dogs. I swear to God I'm a lure for them as well...
That's understandable!

Reactions: PaddedRita
I never had any fears most of my life. But later on I acquired one.

It's something happening to me that I absolutely would not want to live with while simultaneously rendering me incapable of being able to end my own life. Quadriplegic, locked in/vegetative, no arms or legs, etc.

I'm a big believer in there being worse hells than a swift painless end and the right to bodily autonomy to decide what you will and will not endure and right to die. There needs to be more accessible medical and legal support for humane, dignified, peaceful, and clean voluntary end of life decisions for these situations.

So yeah, the thought of being permanently paralyzed from the neck down or being fully concious in a vegetable state and being forced/kept that way against my will for several decades where each minute would feel like eternity in hell is terrifying. Knowing that others may impede or deny your never ending wish to escape the nightmare more terrifying still.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShyGirl91 and Kirisin
ShyGirl91 said:
The first pic is definitely how I see them. Lol but the second one is low key adorable. 😍
I can link a macro shot video of a plump wolf spider grooming itself leg by leg like a cat. They have weak to no venom and rely on speed and strength to hunt for food. They are adorable once you understand them, know what species they are, and can confidently identify which ones are harmless. As with most phobias, the only real fear is the lack of knowledge and preparation and your brain racing to all the worst unimaginable conclusions.

Technically they all mean no harm to people but I still wont take chances with something like a brown recluse. Sorry bud, better luck next time. Be reborn as a peacock spider or something cute that won't rot my limbs if I accidentally squish you unaware.

Last edited:
ShyGirl91 said:
The first pic is definitely how I see them. Lol but the second one is low key adorable. 😍
here's a real one that isn't a render, the peacock spider

8163453067_452edb4d3a_o.jpg

Hesitating to post a wolf spider, don't want any panic attacks 🫣. They look huge and menacing and intimidating but they are sweet.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Jorelaxed said:
Spiders, spiders, spiders, specially BlackWidow and Recluse spiderS.🫥🫥🫥😵😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫🫨🫨🫨🫨🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️🕸️🕸️🕸️😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️
I love spiders and even I won't let those walk free. Sorry just not worth the risk of an accident even if they don't mean to.

I'm an engineer in many disciplines so I understand quite a bit about everything. Knowledge is power and key to most phobias.

At CAPcon one of the elevators was getting bouncy and shaky and freaked a few people out but I said out loud it was likely just a faulty sensor causing a hysteresis loop and making it constantly try to manually range and recalibrate where the stop points were as it tried to stop at a floor. Additionally in first world nations at least there are regulatory inspections and requirements for various stages of redundant emergency systems. Multiple cables, each of which could support a overloaded car alone, ratcheting systems, inertia brakes that would prevent a straight drop, etc

Also rule of three: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours of exposure, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Elevators are required to be well ventilated, and are within climate controlled buildings with backup generators. Most people had water bottles with them. Worst case scenario and fear would have been that you could survive in that elevator long enough for CAPcon to be over!!! 😱

As for fear of dark, monsters, animals, thugs, etc. a firearm and a flashlight and the resolute self determination to never be a victim goes far. I hate horror movies where somebody is unarmed and can't see in the dark and they decide to follow a fresh blood trail into a dark corner.

🤜🤜🤜😵‍💫

Knowledge. Is. Power. And tools help too.

Last edited:
Thalassophobia and Submechanophobia. Fear of large bodies of water that are hard to see in, and the fear of giant man made submerged objects up close. Put those two together and you'll be terrified of large ships in the water. Crazy thing is I'm a commercial fisherman in Alaska, so I'm legit surrounded by water and large man made objects.

I'll be fine 👍

• Haha
Reactions: WetKat and LittleAndAlone
Going blind has been a huge fear of mine since I was very small. It scares me on a level more visceral even than other, probably objectively worse things happening to me.

Uff... I remember the New York Times did this thing a few years ago where they asked people to send in their worst fears, and then someone would illustrate them. One woman had this fear of walking along an icy sidewalk in the city with metal fencing next to her, and that one day she would slip on the ice and impale both of her eyes on the metal spikes. Thanks, stranger! Now that's all I think about when I see metal fencing....

Reactions: Patricia48
Dial said:
absolutely TERRIFIED of dentists
and also have tokophobia
Understandable. Those needles are freaking terrifying! And they put them right in your mouth!

Antientmariner said:
Understandable. Those needles are freaking terrifying! And they put them right in your mouth!
You get topical numbing and they squirt the needle as they push it in. Barely feel a pinch, maybe a small tear like when you pull a nose hair and it stings.

I'm always concerned if I feel sensitivity or vibration and think it's not numb enough. 😱

Back