What features are important for the “perfect” ABDL diaper?

What is most important to you in a diaper? Choose top 3

• Total voters
BobbiSueEllen said:
I'm pretty sure about my request. If a diaper can't stop leaks, what good is it? There will never be a diaper out there which will wick & absorb fast enough, be it baby or toddler, if the leg gathers can't seal as they should seal. Just widen the plastic in the crotch 3 inches total, space out the elastics to match, there it is. Plus, it'll waste less plastic during production. And the change of added weight & bulk per package won't even be noticed.

I was once told that there were "water knives" which cut the leg notches out of the plastic during production; that's not true. During production, the chain of diapers go through a die-cutting drum assembly which has that shape of sharp cutters on either side of the drum, which die-cut the leg-cutout shape as the diapers roll through, before they're individually cut. The big question is: how much will it cost to make new "cutter drums" for the machines? And why can't this feature be used on medical diapers if the company making our diapers makes medical diapers, too? That'll pay for the drums over time...and improve performance for everyone, resulting in a great reputation, more sales, more profit. That's the bottom line...right? Sales & Profit? Of course it is. And promote the puddin' out of it!

What's sad is that I contacted Northshore about this possibility and they weren't receptive of it, but they did respond. InControl didn't even respond at all. What's so laughable or dismissible about a good, tangible idea for real product improvement? 🤔

People also out there have this deeply mistaken notion that inner leak guards do the job. No...they don't. They contain feces, not urine, because that's how baby-diaper manufacturers promoted them in advertising their diapers: as fecal containment. The inner leak-guards are made of the exact same lining which lets urine go through into the absorbent padding. As much as there's some AB/DL diapers I love to buy & wear, they're not perfect; they leak, too. I'll take better leg-sealing over increased mega-absorption any day of the week. And twice on Sundays. 🤭

I suspect the companies you reached out to didn’t do much because they don’t control manufacturing. Most of these guys are buying from overseas. Truth is, I’ll be doing the same thing to start with since I can’t afford to ramp up a manufacturing facility.

But I’ve been talking to multiple manufacturers and identifying the ones that will work with me on customizations, so all of this feedback is really helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
bedwetterdavid said:
I suspect the companies you reached out to didn’t do much because they don’t control manufacturing. Most of these guys are buying from overseas. Truth is, I’ll be doing the same thing to start with since I can’t afford to ramp up a manufacturing facility.

But I’ve been talking to multiple manufacturers and identifying the ones that will work with me on customizations, so all of this feedback is really helpful.
I knew that but forgot to mention it here. They're all made in China but I also know that Chinese industry is far more receptive to production changes than European and American industry.

I guess my big parting declaration here would be: if InControl used my idea on their Elite hybrid diapers, then we'd have the perfect diaper at our fingertips.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedRita and bedwetterdavid
BobbiSueEllen said:
I knew that but forgot to mention it here. They're all made in China but I also know that Chinese industry is far more receptive to production changes than European and American industry.

I guess my big parting declaration here would be: if InControl used my idea on their Elite hybrid diapers, then we'd have the perfect diaper at our fingertips.
I’ll have to order some and check them out. I don’t think I’ve see TREST or InControl in person.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
There are so many improvements needed for perfecting an already existing product, however these changes may inevitably increase its value and production costs.

BabyTweetyBird said:
There are so many improvements needed for perfecting an already existing product, however these changes may inevitably increase its value and production costs.
It is common knowledge that prices go up with product improvements in a niche market, such as our market is. I don't mind paying that price if the product improved works as it should. Nothing more really needs to be said.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Deleted member 56273
BabyTweetyBird said:
Yeah, the difficult part is we all have different body shapes and a diaper that might be perfect for someone doesn’t work for another. I’ve never experienced the issues BobbiSueEllen is describing, but I have no doubt there is tons of room for improvement

Reactions: Deleted member 56273
I've tried a lot of different diapers both ABDL, medical, and even goodnites. Based on my experience I rank things like this:

1. It has to look like a diaper - there are a lot of ways to do that from solid colors (white or baby pastels) to ABDL designs, but even the medical diapers I like have a very "diaper" look to them. The shape when folded and especially worn is important as well.

2. Fit/Cut on my body is the second most important. I don't buy diapers that aren't sized well for me, or are uncomfortable.

3. Odor control is a must have. There are brands I don't buy just because they smell kind of weird when wet.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and bedwetterdavid
BobbiSueEllen said:
I don't mind paying that price if the product improved works as it should.
Certainly but there are folks and gals - including myself - looking for a hi-quality product without breaking the bank.

There's a handful of private label brands offering excellent quality adult briefs with many of the aforementioned features in very affordable prices for a modest budget.

Mega Disposables - a company best known for its premium baby and adult care products having a certain knowledge for the paraphilic infantilism (as suggested by the #diaperlover tag they add frequently in their Instagram posts) - offers a wide range of incontinence solutions for everyone's needs. Their premium line is by far the most expensive in terms of quality and workmanship.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobbiSueEllen said:
I'm pretty sure about my request. If a diaper can't stop leaks, what good is it? There will never be a diaper out there which will wick & absorb fast enough, be it baby or toddler, if the leg gathers can't seal as they should seal. Just widen the plastic in the crotch 3 inches total, space out the elastics to match, there it is. Plus, it'll waste less plastic during production. And the change of added weight & bulk per package won't even be noticed.

I was once told that there were "water knives" which cut the leg notches out of the plastic during production; that's not true. During production, the chain of diapers go through a die-cutting drum assembly which has that shape of sharp cutters on either side of the drum, which die-cut the leg-cutout shape as the diapers roll through, before they're individually cut. The big question is: how much will it cost to make new "cutter drums" for the machines? And why can't this feature be used on medical diapers if the company making our diapers makes medical diapers, too? That'll pay for the drums over time...and improve performance for everyone, resulting in a great reputation, more sales, more profit. That's the bottom line...right? Sales & Profit? Of course it is. And promote the puddin' out of it!

What's sad is that I contacted Northshore about this possibility and they weren't receptive of it, but they did respond. InControl didn't even respond at all. What's so laughable or dismissible about a good, tangible idea for real product improvement? 🤔

People also out there have this deeply mistaken notion that inner leak guards do the job. No...they don't. They contain feces, not urine, because that's how baby-diaper manufacturers promoted them in advertising their diapers: as fecal containment. The inner leak-guards are made of the exact same lining which lets urine go through into the absorbent padding. As much as there's some AB/DL diapers I love to buy & wear, they're not perfect; they leak, too. I'll take better leg-sealing over increased mega-absorption any day of the week. And twice on Sundays. 🤭
The poonami risk is why I would like high leg guards

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and MajesticHamster
OldTerry said:
The poonami risk is why I would like high leg guards
For a heavy wetter I am strong leakguards is a must to prevent nasty flooding accidents. I always find messy 'n' dirty very disgusting.

Reactions: MajesticHamster
Antientmariner said:
You forgot one last feature: Scents. I love the Rearz Lil Bellas simply because they have a cotton candy scent. ABU Lavender had a scent too, but I've never smelled it.

This goes out for the whole site: What other diapers are scented?
foxkits said:
The first one should be what others are not doing. I would come up with two diapers one for the incontinent group.Then the ab/dl community.
I like 80s type many like what they wore or taped together when young.
Lot of people would like to have a baby kind of pull up like when they grew up I don't like the new baby style it's like a cotex pad with wings.
But there are a lot of people would love a adult product that works.
That they can afford use one to pay for the other.
NappiedSissyJessica said:
I’d also add ‘waddle factor’
If I had a more secure, absorbent ABDL pull-up that causes waddling when wet and smells like cotton
candy like Lil Bellas from Rearz as @Antientmariner or @NappiedSissyJessica descibed, that would be amazing.
It's also a good idea to make the same diaper without babyish designs while keeping the rest of
the quality for the reasons @foxkits laid out. IC first, THEN AB/DL.

BabyTweetyBird said:
For a heavy wetter I am strong leakguards is a must to prevent nasty flooding accidents. I always find messy 'n' dirty very disgusting.
Sorry 😞

bedwetterdavid said:
I’m considering getting into the premium diaper industry, and I am currently working with a couple of different manufacturers.

While we all have our favorites, I feel like most of us have to compromise in some area or another. Absorbency, backing material, thickness, fit, tapes, etc.

What I’ve noticed is that there are subcategories of us and most manufacturers appeal to one, usually the ABDLs who wants something cute and absorbent, or the bedwetters who needs something functional.

But maybe you are a vintage diaper lover who wants something that actually seems like the old Attends or Promise, and the plastic is more important than the absorbency for you.

Or maybe you want something more absorbent than the current diapers out there like TREST or Crinklez, but with different features?

Let me know!
I like Tykables, the best thing is the hook and loop system. Makes the very easy to readjust as the nappy fills. All the other things are important too. Northshore are great all round but the tabs are so sticky they either break or don't reattach well. Patterns are great but not the most important, absorbency, odour, leakproof and reattaching frequency for me

The most important feature in my opinion is missing: the material of the outer layer. I exclusively buy plastic-backed diapers.

When it comes to the listed features, I consider fit/cut to be the most important. Loud crinkles and graphic design (or lack thereof, as I prefer white diapers) are a nice plus. Absorbency is important, but I did not choose this option since I tend to prefer sufficient absorbency (which in my case corresponds to Tena Slip Maxi or Ultima) rather than extreme absorbency. These diapers last long enough for me, and if I want to wear for a longer time I can simply change when needed.

ztrga said:
The most important feature in my opinion is missing: the material of the outer layer. I exclusively buy plastic-backed diapers.
Plastic-backed disposables perform better than woven nylon fabric.

BabyTweetyBird said:
Plastic-backed disposables perform better than woven nylon fabric.
That's one of the reasons I prefer plastic-backed diapers. But I also prefer the feeling of the plastic. It really highlights that you are wearing a diaper rather than some random thick underwear.

ABedWetter said:
An ABDL diaper must have two basic characteristics: thickness and baby prints. If you are not wearing a diaper that makes it difficult for you to walk and that does not have colorful letters, mini card or baby characters, you are not being ABDL in the right way.
This message would be accurate if you wrote AB instead of ABDL! :D (As you probably know, many DLs don't care too much about baby prints, and some people even dislike them.)

ztrga said:
This message would be accurate if you wrote AB instead of ABDL! :D (As you probably know, many DLs don't care too much about baby prints, and some people even dislike them.)

That’s true. For me, a babyish print means I “chose” to wear a cute diaper. A white print feels like I have no choice in the matter. As an exclusively DL that feels much more genuine.

Back