What features are important for the “perfect” ABDL diaper?

What is most important to you in a diaper? Choose top 3

• Total voters

bedwetterdavid

Bedwetter, overactive bladder, diaper lover
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I’m considering getting into the premium diaper industry, and I am currently working with a couple of different manufacturers.

While we all have our favorites, I feel like most of us have to compromise in some area or another. Absorbency, backing material, thickness, fit, tapes, etc.

What I’ve noticed is that there are subcategories of us and most manufacturers appeal to one, usually the ABDLs who wants something cute and absorbent, or the bedwetters who needs something functional.

But maybe you are a vintage diaper lover who wants something that actually seems like the old Attends or Promise, and the plastic is more important than the absorbency for you.

Or maybe you want something more absorbent than the current diapers out there like TREST or Crinklez, but with different features?

Let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChooChoo69
How interesting and exciting!

For me I like to wet twice, so absorbency is important. And I like a nappy nice and bulky.

I quite like a babyish pattern, but plain can be fun too.

I’m not so worried about leg elastic, and I always wear plastic pants with my nappy. Waist elastic is good, for a snug fit.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: bedwetterdavid
Ali123 said:
How interesting and exciting!

For me I like to wet twice, so absorbency is important. And I like a nappy nice and bulky.

I quite like a babyish pattern, but plain can be fun too.

I’m not so worried about leg elastic, and I always wear plastic pants with my nappy. Waist elastic is good, for a snug fit.

Hope that helps.
That’s great do you have a current favorite brand?

bedwetterdavid said:
That’s great do you have a current favorite brand?
I like Little for Big.

Absorbency isn't all that important to me because I'm a recreational wearer. I like features like leg gathers, leak guards, cute babyish designs in pastels good tapes and a landing zone and of course crinkles.

Last edited:
High absorbency, leak guards and fit/cut for me

Reactions: CheshireCat
One thing you left off your list is price. That's a factor that not a lot of companies are considering, and if you made ABDL diapers that were affordable you'd be offering something people can't find elsewhere.

• Love
Reactions: Belarin and Abdlchriscrinkle
Nothing on that list really fit my desires
Proper absorbency. Doesn't have to be high, but feeling dry & holding up during daily activity is a must.
Second is price
paying 5-7-10 per diaper is just too much

Reactions: ARBBB2 and Abdlchriscrinkle
bedwetterdavid said:
But maybe you are a vintage diaper lover who wants something that actually seems like the old Attends or Promise, and the plastic is more important than the absorbency for you.

Bingo. In my opinion, the Abdl market is FLOODED with hyper absorbent diapers these days...
There are many threads regarding this lately.

Maybe it's not every demographic that wants vintage styled plastic backed disposables that accurately replicate a vintage baby's diaper from the 80's, but I for one would love to see something like that offered. Maybe you could take that segment of the market over that other companies failed... And maybe I would actually buy them if they checked most of the right boxes...

But as others have said, PRICE is not on your list of things, even though it could possibly be the most important factor for most of us non wealthy people out here...

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyDog
Abdlchriscrinkle said:
Bingo. In my opinion, the Abdl market is FLOODED with hyper absorbent diapers these days...
There are many threads regarding this lately.

Maybe it's not the majority of us that want vintage styled plastic backed disposables that accurately replicate a vintage baby's diaper from the 80's, but I for one would love to see something like that offered. Maybe I would actually buy them if they checked most of the right boxes...

But as others have said, PRICE is not on your list of things, even though it could possibly be the most important factor for most of us non wealthy people out here...
Yea! bring in the vintage look from 80-90s
i don't need it to hold 10+L
2-3L is fine

• Love
Reactions: Abdlchriscrinkle
You forgot one last feature: Scents. I love the Rearz Lil Bellas simply because they have a cotton candy scent. ABU Lavender had a scent too, but I've never smelled it.

This goes out for the whole site: What other diapers are scented?

• Love
Reactions: MajesticHamster
SparkyDog said:
Yea! bring in the vintage look from 80-90s
i don't need it to hold 10+L
2-3L is fine
That sounds like a winner indeed! I didn't even think of that. I'd love to see someone bring the smooth plastic outer shell back, the same type used by Trest Elites. Plain white, but with a landing zone that replicates baby diapers or Even adult diapers from the 80s-90s. I myself, personally am still patiently waiting for a new diaper to come out with 1 tape per side with a good absorbency rating.

• Thinking
Reactions: Pampers4Ever, MajesticHamster, SparkyDog and 1 other person
I really wish there was an option here for odor control. The smell of Luvs or Pampers is really important to me in reaching little-space after the overall softness and absorption of the diaper itself. A good fit and elastics that don’t break apart is cool too.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273
The first one should be what others are not doing. I would come up with two diapers one for the incontinent group.Then the ab/dl community.
I like 80s type many like what they wore or taped together when young.
Lot of people would like to have a baby kind of pull up like when they grew up I don't like the new baby style it's like a cotex pad with wings.
But there are a lot of people would love a adult product that works.
That they can afford use one to pay for the other.

• Thinking
Reactions: MajesticHamster, bedwetterdavid and SparkyDog
avery said:
One thing you left off your list is price. That's a factor that not a lot of companies are considering, and if you made ABDL diapers that were affordable you'd be offering something people can't find elsewhere.
Yeah haha I guess I figured that was given. There are plenty of cheap diapers and there are lots of quality diapers. Doing both is difficult but finding that balance will be the key to a successful product.

Reactions: SparkyDog
SparkyDog said:
Nothing on that list really fit my desires
Proper absorbency. Doesn't have to be high, but feeling dry & holding up during daily activity is a must.
Second is price
paying 5-7-10 per diaper is just too much

Have you tried Tranquility ATN? They are probably less than 1.50ea and fit that description.

Reactions: TheBob
I’d also add ‘waddle factor’

• Thinking
Reactions: MajesticHamster
bedwetterdavid said:
Have you tried Tranquility ATN? They are probably less than 1.50ea and fit that description.
I have tried them
i prefer Abena L4
it's my daily diaper

Reactions: Diaperpee8 and bedwetterdavid
avery said:
I'm totally with this.

I use cloth mostly these days so when I buy disposables it's mainly either because of the need for discretion or because I like the prints.

I'm quite happy with Tena as a main use nappy for its functionality. I tend to go for ultima's (rated 4400ml) for the sake of it as they cost the same as the maxi, I would probably be ok with just the super (rated 2900ml) which is £2 cheeaper with 9 more nappies if I was being more sensible with their use and not trying to hold as much as possible.

So a product similar to the Tena Maxi level with cool, cute or childish prints similar to a pampers/huggies, plastic or cloth backed doesn't matter to me at the same kinda price point (Currently £17.39 for 21 Tena maxi's) would immediately become my goto disposable, anything else like scent is a bonus.

Reactions: Dragoven
I'm incontinent, not ABDL, but I think many who wear diapers would like a diaper with a different fluff to SAP ratio, or SAP layout. Meaning, a thicker diaper for overnight that wicks extremely well. I don't think people care about the ISO absorbency; they care about the real world absorbency. A diaper that easily wicked all the way up the back while still locking it in would be a BIG hit.

Reactions: Iron, ElPulpo, growlycub and 5 others
Back