Those born pre-internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Having lived before cell phones and internet when kids was forced to have a imagination and interact with other kids and adults one on one in person. Do you think we have sold our soles for this tech???? Not talking so much about religion but morels in General. Do you think the human race flushed its moral values down the shitter with this internet and social media we have today. Not trying too talk politics or religion but in general did it make people dumber and more numb to each other. Parents almost count on the internet and videos game to not only baby set but to raise their child. Everyone is into their screens they are to busy to put them down an open a door for a elderly or just to check and see how someones day is going. Nope they do not want to interact anymore than they can do on line..They become withdrawn from society and then find other like minded people. Where is the humanity going? Every day just a bit more dies out and we loose eldors that take wisdom and knowledge with them.

I am just a old man rambling on along But I think we need to do better to try and get some morals back and just work harder to give back and teach our youth. Stop brain washing the our youth. What I seen happen in the last ten years I think we have devolved as a human. New tech is nice but not if it cost us our values and ability to work together an stop tearing each other down. Anyway My Abien is hitting hard and I need to get to bed.

What do you guys think. As a person who as a live and went though the good old days with out some of this tech do you think the tech and internet will be the down fall. I mean AI is coming, like it or hate the very ideal like me but it is happening. Will the benefits out way the risk.

Sorry if it is too deep the meds give me the drive to share my emotions! Right or wrong.:LOL:

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk, Woncrinklz, dous and 10 others
I agree 100%. I think about Cyberdyne Systems Skynet corp often.

• Love
Reactions: RoseofThorns and Edgewater
Diaperman95 said:
Do you think we have sold our soles for this tech????
Yea. There's a reason they're called the "good ole days".

Morals wise, there's a reason people are called "keyboard warriors". It's really easy to be an asshole to someone that can't just wind up and punch you square in the face. Then that translates to driving.... same problem. Eventually, people just didn't trust that anyone else is decent.

A quick how-to-not-be-a-pos guide...
- say please and thank you, and mean it.
- offer to give your neighbor a hand with something, even if he didn't ask you for help, and don't expect anything in return.
- wave someone else on that got to the stop sign at the same time as you
- hold the door for others, especially for a woman

And so on... you get the idea. Hopefully, anyway.

You don't have to give anyone else "respect", per say... but, you better offer decency unless and until given a reason not to.

Reactions: dous, Nottylu, RoseofThorns and 4 others
ah yes complaining about moral and social media on a social media fetish sight. lol
anyways yea seously as a kid trees where for climbing sticks where swords and boredom was the norm
i have to disagree the internet gives us the ability to fight for our moral beliefs in ways that didnt even exist 30 years ago
there would be no end to the owl house for instance sounds like a little thing but the internet forced Disney to let the gay characters be seen in a story not just about gayness ! we as a society are using the internet to rewrite morals not destroy them
were seeing a new society be born slowly isn't that exiting :)

also the video games and youtube parenting thing isnt because of the internet its because people are working more hours than ever before my mother was the firs in my family to work fulltime wile being a mother you cant talk about parenting with out adressing the socioeconomic factors that provent parents from having access to safe playgrounds time to take there kids out to play and the like

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Angry
Reactions: Diaperman95, Lilschoolfox and ShyBoo81
I'm 77. I remember living without a telephone and without a television. I remember when it was safe for kids to play outdoors without someone watching them constantly. I remember also that, during those times, life was not so good if you were other than straight, white, male, middle class or above, and from "a good Christian family." Discrimination was not only rampant, it was legalized in many ways. No one knew what to make of people with high functioning ASD. The condition had not even been diagnosed. If you needed your diaper changed in a public restroom, your mom had to either learn to change you in a standing position (as mine did) or spread a changing mat on a dirty floor. Changing tables didn't exist in either women's or men's restrooms.

The Internet and other modern communication technologies have shined light on so many social evils. The good that people accomplish receives more notice as well. Those who seek to divide, polarize, and breed hate have become expert users of the same technologies. But that's not the technologies' fault.

Diaperman, much as I like and respect you, I'm going to disagree with you on this point. Yes, the Internet has given birth to a lot of things we could live without including, as Bearcatz reminded us, "keyboard warriors." And social media, of which ADISC is really an example, has resulted in cyberbullying, conveying of conspiracy theories and misinformation, and imbalance in a lot of people's lives. I feel sad whenever I see a family in a restaurant so involved with their mobile phones that they're not even looking at each other.

At the same time, though, I have to point out that my life is so much richer because I have ADISC as a place to learn from others and share my own ideas and points of view. I'm happy that I'm able to gather all kind of TRUE information from all kinds of wonderful websites, including websites established by very respectable universities. The good that the Internet and artificial intelligence bring us offers us outweighs the bad, I think.

Yes, it's important to use the Internet responsibly, just as it's responsible to use EVERYTHING responsibly. Society as a whole, and we individually could probably do a more effective job of monitoring both our time and activities online.

• Love
Reactions: DarkWolf, Lilschoolfox, dous and 10 others
Diaperman95 said:
Do you think we have sold our soles for this tech????
Absolutely, it's a shoe-in to a dystopian future! 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dous, eastcoastdl, Seasonedcitizen and 2 others
Yes, I hate the social medias cuz it spreads so many misinformation and all that which in turn causes so many people to turn on each other. I want to go back to the old days where we all play outside and do activities. I do also love sites like this cuz it can help us meet others and learn how to cope with our needs/wants.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and Edgewater
I was born in a time when there were personal computers, but no internet and growing up in a time when the internet was in it's infancy.

My teenage years were a time when the internet was as commonplace as radio and television and yet was still running on dial-up.

My early adult years saw the rise of High-Speed and wireless internet and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
This thread is a very rose tinted spectacles view of the modern environment. As for the good old days don't make me laugh, just look at Ireland and the Catholic Church in the mid to late 20th and you rapid realise morals are there to abuse the weak and poor!

The world is a much better place because we hear about it, more people are better educated and fed than in the entire history of humankind! In the past it was suppressed and hidden.

Read Progress by Johan Norbert, a very enlightening book. It highlights how most of our assumptions of the state of the world are wrong. Yes it's not perfect but that is not the reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Reactions: ShyBoo81
I was born in '76 so my childhood was free of internet and computers but I' m not afraid of them and I don't worry about humanity. Internet is only a stool, nothing more. What did you do with your stone axe in your hand? Hunting for food, or beating someone to death? It's suitable for both. If our civilization fails there will be many other reasons over the internet.
Anyway: I don't use any social media because I don't trust in them and I have real social interactions. Me and my wife try to rais our children to be moral and try to don't let the internet to do it instead of us. Not easy but worth to do.

Before teh_Interwebz, we just wore mammoth-fur diapers, evaded dinosaur attacks and beat rocks together. Oog. 🫢🤭

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Eclectic, TeddyBearCowboy, Diaperman95 and 3 others
me me meee use to have to adult bookstore to find anything

Freddie07601 said:
I'm 77. I remember living without a telephone and without a television. I remember when it was safe for kids to play outdoors without someone watching them constantly. I remember also that, during those times, life was not so good if you were other than straight, white, male, middle class or above, and from "a good Christian family." Discrimination was not only rampant, it was legalized in many ways. No one knew what to make of people with high functioning ASD. The condition had not even been diagnosed. If you needed your diaper changed in a public restroom, your mom had to either learn to change you in a standing position (as mine did) or spread a changing mat on a dirty floor. Changing tables didn't exist in either women's or men's restrooms.

The Internet and other modern communication technologies have shined light on so many social evils. The good that people accomplish receives more notice as well. Those who seek to divide, polarize, and breed hate have become expert users of the same technologies. But that's not the technologies' fault.

Diaperman, much as I like and respect you, I'm going to disagree with you on this point. Yes, the Internet has given birth to a lot of things we could live without including, as Bearcatz reminded us, "keyboard warriors." And social media, of which ADISC is really an example, has resulted in cyberbullying, conveying of conspiracy theories and misinformation, and imbalance in a lot of people's lives. I feel sad whenever I see a family in a restaurant so involved with their mobile phones that they're not even looking at each other.

At the same time, though, I have to point out that my life is so much richer because I have ADISC as a place to learn from others and share my own ideas and points of view. I'm happy that I'm able to gather all kind of TRUE information from all kinds of wonderful websites, including websites established by very respectable universities. The good that the Internet and artificial intelligence bring us offers us outweighs the bad, I think.

Yes, it's important to use the Internet responsibly, just as it's responsible to use EVERYTHING responsibly. Society as a whole, and we individually could probably do a more effective job of monitoring both our time and activities online.
Well said Freddie! I have noticed that every generation thinks that 'things have got worse', but when I think back to what my grandparents told me about life in their times during the first half of the twentieth century: (poverty, hunger, infant mortality, poor housing, unemployment, two world wars, economic depression, etc), I'm not so sure that there has ever been a 'golden age' when everything was wonderful for everyone.
Sure, most new technological developments do have a downside, but isn't that often due to the way that the new technology is misused (or abused) by a minority of people for their own benefit, rather than being used for the common good?

• Love
Reactions: Lilschoolfox, ShyBoo81 and BBBen
Diaperman95 said:
What do you guys think. As a person who as a live and went though the good old days with out some of this tech do you think the tech and internet will be the down fall.
I remember seeing TV ads for encyclopedias. Imagine picking up a physical encyclopedia now, ha ha. Or a phone book! Good riddance, I say. Generally speaking, I think the free flow of information is a good thing.

But technology has certainly cut both ways. I see social media as perhaps the best example of that. Here we are discussing topics (ABDL, incontinence) that we'd struggle to discuss otherwise, and that's fantastic. I'm so grateful for this place. Things get murkier when you zoom out though. Creating and maintaining in-person relationships requires effort and skills that social media doesn't develop. In person, there are no cute avatars, no opportunities to endlessly polish your communications, and no places to hide when you put aside your inhibitions and behave badly. Your bullies can't simply be blocked, and relationships can't be ended by ghosting. In the end I think that most of us, regardless of age, hope to be successful with our in-person relationships, whether those are with family, friends, coworkers, or significant others/spouses/partners. In-person social skills aren't cultivated here or on Discord though.

I'm a member of the first generation of parents who's had to moderate their kids' access to social media and work to create in-person social opportunities. On the whole, I think we were mostly unprepared and we blew it. I'm hopeful that our kids will bounce back, and ultimately evolve our social media platforms in ways that truly augment the human experience rather than creating alternative realities for us to retreat into.

In short: Will tech be our downfall? I don't think so. But I do think we've taken "two steps forward, one step back."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ShyBoo81, Diaperman95, geka and 4 others
There have been pros and cons.

Reactions: BBBen, Sidewinder and BobbiSueEllen
LuckyRed23 said:
Absolutely, it's a shoe-in to a dystopian future! 😂
Our society is really lost at sea.

• Thinking
Reactions: BBBen, BobbiSueEllen and LuckyRed23
Internet shopping made crossdressing way easier and safer. 😇

• Love
Reactions: ShyBoo81, geka, Freddie07601 and 3 others
Looking deep into the darkness, it did not surprise me when this thread rapidly changed into new age politics and anti-religion!

The sad reality is that the direction is already set! Locked in, if you will! As the old past on and the World continue on leaving this trial of democracy in the ruble of the past! Communism will rule and mankind will transition quickly into some version of Cyberdyne Systems Skynet Corporation, but there will be no unconnected cop that saves humans from the future.

Such a world will not need humans and it will only be a short time before the New World will be Cyber Based Only.

To those who have never seen Communism up-close, you really need to take a close look, a very close look at what is not allowed or tolerated!!

Enjoy

Reactions: dous, Zeke, Hoksiyopa and 3 others
Sealander said:
There have been pros and cons.
Pros and cons play a vast role in many aspects of life.

• Haha
Reactions: Sealander and BobbiSueEllen
I remember when as a family we got our first black and white tv.
BobbiSueEllen said:
Before teh_Interwebz, we just wore mammoth-fur diapers, evaded dinosaur attacks and beat rocks together. Oog. 🫢🤭
The last dinosaur in Chester zoo died that week....
The idea behind internet was revolutionary, you can compare that to the invention of the printing press. Unfortunately there seems to be more disinformation than information and scientists and real journalists are receiving death threats from conspiracy theorists and populist politicians.
The information dat you get is controlled through an algorithm which means your world view gets smaller and pushes people into a group that is then set against the rest.
Edgewater said:
Looking deep into the darkness, it did not surprise me when this thread rapidly changed into new age politics and anti-religion!

The sad reality is that the direction is already set! Locked in, if you will! As the old past on and the World continue on leaving this trial of democracy in the ruble of the past! Communism will rule and mankind will transition quickly into some version of Cyberdyne Systems Skynet Corporation, but there will be no unconnected cop that saves humans from the future.

Such a world will not need humans and it will only be a short time before the New World will be Cyber Based Only.

To those who have never seen Communism up-close, you really need to take a close look, a very close look at what is not allowed or tolerated!!

Enjoy
Sorry to disagree, but the left is dead or dying. The political right in all its degrees has long been on the rise. Communism is absolutely no threat to the world.

• Love
Reactions: ianwee and Edgewater
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back