MRI diapered

Status
Not open for further replies.
PrettyLilPrincess said:
Nope, if anything it would have been messy rather than wet. I've had FI my whole life.
Thank God mine is just my bladder, I don't crap my pants

Reactions: Diprs2
Danielgartin691993 said:
Thank God mine is just my bladder, I don't crap my pants
I'm glad you feel that way, but I will say what you said here sounded a little forward. What sorts of negative thoughts do you have about FI?

When I went to my MRI appointment (back and neck problems) I had a diaper on. One of the 2 ladies told me that I had to take off my things like my watch, shoes, jacket and my jeans for the scan. I usually always wear underwear over my diaper for a better fit and I am happy I was on that day! I felt so embarrassed walking to the MRI machine from the small connected changing room in just my t-shirt, diaper covered with underwear and my socks while getting on the table. I remember pulling my shirt down to cover the diaper as the lady came to cover my parts down there with a shield or something for the scan. She didn't blink or say a word about my diaper but I still felt really embarrassed. The scan itself went pretty fast and I was happy when it was done to get my clothes back on. After that she told me to have a seat in the waiting room for a couple minutes and they will make a CD of the scan. A couple minutes later she came and gave me that CD and told me they would send the report with the results to my doctor in 2 days. then she wished me a nice afternoon and smiled. I did the same and left after giving positive feedback on the digital screen they had on the wall. So yeah I would say diapers are not a problem at all getting an MRI

Reactions: Angelapinks and Diprs2
PrettyLilPrincess said:
I'm glad you feel that way, but I will say what you said here sounded a little forward. What sorts of negative thoughts do you have about FI?
It's messy,I do it sometimes when I get sick

Thank goodness I have to have an MRI of my brain to figure out if there's any more damage than what's already there

littledub1955 said:
I only wear pinned on cotton diapers so I guess that I'd have to wear a disposable for an MRI. 😠 Bummer.
You could probably use medical tape to hold it fastened instead, and just remove the pins before the scan.

Last edited:
littledub1955 said:
I only wear pinned on cotton diapers so I guess that I'd have to wear a disposable for an MRI. 😠 Bummer.
Use Snappis to secure your cloth diapers rather than metal safety pins. I’ve done that for a couple of years now and prefer them over the 3” stainless steel safety pins that I used to use. Being plastic and an elastomer they won’t be a problem in a MRI. I’ve had 9 or 10 of them now both prior to and following my 2 level anterior cervical fusion performed April, 8th 1991. Being as I’m still having trouble with my neck when I had to have a pacemaker implanted, in November of 2015, I asked for a MRI compatible model.

Reactions: MegaLugia, Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
Is it the MRI where they inject you with a fluid that makes you feel like you've wet yourself? If you have actual incontinence issues, you may want to be diapered, or at least warn them, in case your body takes that signal to your brain and makes it real.

Reactions: Angelapinks, MegaLugia, Diprs2 and 1 other person
JDCH said:
Is it the MRI where they inject you with a fluid that makes you feel like you've wet yourself? If you have actual incontinence issues, you may want to be diapered, or at least warn them, in case your body takes that signal to your brain and makes it real.
MRI intravenous contrast is typically gadolinium-based, and I've never felt like I've peed myself having contrast MRI. None of my patients told me they felt a warm flush to the groin during their MRI. On the other hand, CT scan intravenous contrast is iodine-based, and does typically cause a very warm sensation in the urogenital region.

Reactions: Angelapinks, MegaLugia and Diprs2
Diapered in the MRI SCanner...
As I haver said, not an issue for me.

Reactions: MegaLugia, Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
MRI intravenous contrast is typically gadolinium-based, and I've never felt like I've peed myself having contrast MRI. None of my patients told me they felt a warm flush to the groin during their MRI. On the other hand, CT scan intravenous contrast is iodine-based, and does typically cause a very warm sensation in the urogenital region.
That sounds right. I’ve had both but forgotten the order of operations.

1955wetdiaper said:
I have to have an MRI .Can I wear a diaper during
Yes.
The MRI machine starts at the other end 🤣

It is better, if you can, to be in a clean dry diaper - as some fluidic images from a wet diaper may be picked up my MRI as interference. Re. cloth diapers etc., there could be issues if any metal is present, but your medical team should be aware of your diapering need prior to this, and should also inform you of they percieve any potential problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaLugia
Had four spinal operations and loads of MRI and CT scans. Always wear a nappy as just don’t know when I’ll wet. Nurses are always ok about it.

Reactions: Danielgartin691993, MegaLugia, Pino and 1 other person
a bit of advice though make sure is a disposable diaper because most reusable have metal in the buttons

Reactions: MegaLugia and AttilaThePun
LupintheWolf said:
a bit of advice though make sure is a disposable diaper because most reusable have metal in the buttons
I always wear disposable protection

Reactions: MegaLugia and AttilaThePun
trekkyfrom21st said:
It depends where you get the MRI (what body part) my last MRI was on my hips and they were worried that a diaper would cause a shadow and they would have to redo it they were worried that a diaper would cause a shadow and they would have to redo it.
I don't agree. As part of the prostate cancer diagnosis before I had my prostatectomy, I was sent for an MRI. As I was already having bladder problems, I decided to wear a nappy. When I was asked to get undressed and put a gown on, I asked the nurse straight up if the fact that I was wearing a nappy would affect the scan/results in any way. She said no, it was fine and said I shouldn't worry about it.

After the scan was complete she asked why I needed a nappy. I explained to her that I was having bladder control problems, and that I wasn't sure that I would be able to hold on during the procedure. She asked if I had wet, and I admitted that I had. She said don't worry about it, and said that it was nice that I was so considerate, and that it was better for them that they didn't have to clean up the mess that could have happened if I hadn't been wearing. She was most professional about the whole thing.

Reactions: MegaLugia, Pino, Constantlydamp and 1 other person
TheWetOne said:
I don't agree. As part of the prostate cancer diagnosis before I had my prostatectomy, I was sent for an MRI. As I was already having bladder problems, I decided to wear a nappy. When I was asked to get undressed and put a gown on, I asked the nurse straight up if the fact that I was wearing a nappy would affect the scan/results in any way. She said no, it was fine and said I shouldn't worry about it.

After the scan was complete she asked why I needed a nappy. I explained to her that I was having bladder control problems, and that I wasn't sure that I would be able to hold on during the procedure. She asked if I had wet, and I admitted that I had. She said don't worry about it, and said that it was nice that I was so considerate, and that it was better for them that they didn't have to clean up the mess that could have happened if I hadn't been wearing. She was most professional about the whole thing.
The response from the nurse was very professional if not a little deceptive.

Yes, if you had wet, there might have been an issue, but since it is normal to clean down medical equiptment between paitent use, urine on the machine is the usually the least of the medical staff's worries. Most people leave a layer of skin and sweat on these machines which can cloud the image, so that is usually cleaned. Urine would also be cleaned during that process, but makes the cleaning job a little more nasty. The issue the nurse was dealing with was if the nappy was wet, the fluid in the nappy can slightly obsure certain areas of the image, and it is better to inform the physcian of that before someone jumps to an incorrect conclusion.

If a higher resolution image around the groin area is required and paitents have bladder/bowel issues, sometime, the physician will request the patient to fast for 24 hours prior plus be caterized prior to the scan. This is to ensure a crystal clear scan is obtained without the image being cloudy from urine release in a diaper / surrounding area.

So, back to the actual question - yes you can wear a diaper, but
  • your medical staff need to know... and unless you are sure that the technican / nurse does know, tell him/her. S/he might even hand you a pull-up instead of the paper underwear.
  • it is advisable for it to be clean and dry (a wet and messy diaper is of no help to anyone)
  • any form of metal should be avoided - i.e. don't go all enviromental and wear cloth and metal pins / clips
  • a thin, disposable is preferable - usually a pull-up. After all, it will only take max 1 hour, and you can change before, while getting stripped, and after, while getting dressed.
I have had multiple scans, and my process is having a proper tape on going to the exam, change into a pull-up when getting stripped for the exam, and afterwards, change back into my proper tape on. I always inform the relevant technician, where in one case, the technician handed me one of their cheap pull-ups as he said that the one I was wearing might interfer with the resolution level he was requested.

So yes, do wear a nappy if you need to, and most definitely, do tell of your need to the technician/nurse.

In relation to the rest, leave the ear ring, nose ring, toe ring, metal studs etc and your metal collection, your poket pennys collection and watches at home. Medical staff don't need to wait for you to drop the ton of metal adornments in the little plastic beaker🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun and Angelapinks
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back