lets figure out real iso absorbency.

binkyb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
ok peeps, so here's an idea. For those that are interested how about this,. As a community it seems there's a lot of gnashing of teeth on the absorbancy claim numbers so between all of us I think we can solve it once and for all ( untill a new version comes along). seeing as we all use different diapers from all the manufacturers lets try this, everyone pick one diaper, we will need to have a list of who is going to try what, 2 people per type, wet untill they leak ( max out) and weigh them If there's interest then I will compile a list. and post it. To keep it fair you will have to pm me the results so there is no competition just actual. I am currently using the northshore airlock with a booster, I forgot the weight of the diaper but I remember the boosters were 1/2lb each. This may take a bit as we can't all fill to capacity all the time but it may answer the question constantly asked for a real life rating (2 pees, 5pees etc) let me know what you think of this idea

That sounds fun, but there's no way I'd be able to keep track of how many times I wet myself, especially in my sleep. I can, however, send you the weight of my NRU Str8ups when I decide to wear one again. I've really been conserving my diaper usage lately, so it won't be till the end of the week, at best.

Theoretical absorbency is a decent measure I would say. Of course diapers won't hold that much, but they give you a rough way of ranking diapers against each other since it's going to be a massive overestimate for every diaper (though one would also expect diminishing returns in practical absorbency).

Performing tests of actual use is difficult. Diapers fit different people differently; one brand might just not fit a given person, and might always leak prematurely for instance. Efficiency will depend on a wide variety of factors, such as the size and speed of voids, which are impossible to regulate, as well as body position and, to be frank, penis position. So there's a strong incentive to just rely on a ham-fisted measure like theoretical absorbency. It's not just a marketing gimmick. It's just the best we have. The fact that it deviates from practical absorbency is not a big deal, since it's not like most people have a clear idea of their urine output over time anyway.

All of that said, FruitKitty's diaper reviews do a pretty good job of capturing practical absorbency in a fairly scientific manner.

Last edited:
To figure out real world absorbency from an ISO value, just divide by 3, usually that tends to be pretty close.
There's also a youtube channel with 'practical tests' of most popular diapers.

Reactions: TigerDL
There was a channel (Real World Incontenance ?) that put diapers on a dummy and slowly filled them up until they leaked.

Reactions: BigAl2
I use wearing untill i leak. Then weigh the diaper. I weigh a dry one for tare weight. I have scale that weighs pounds/0z. And it weighs fluid ounces and M/L. I get close to what real world incontinence gets.

If I had enough money, I'd just sue them all for false advertising.

Otherwise, what I usually find is divide by 5, unless you're talking rearz ultra fake numbers, then divide by 9.

There's a whole forum here on ADISC dedicated to diaper reviews, and one user (Fruitkitty) has compiled the data from his advanced reviews in a summary. He includes tested capacities (with both water and saline), and also compares it against cost to get a measure of "half-floods" per $. The list isn't complete though, since he hasn't updated it since 2020, and as we know many new diapers have been released in the past few years. It looks like he hasn't logged in since May of 2022; I hope everything is alright. His methodology is outlined in his guide for writing "advanced diaper reviews"

If we could continue to add to that repository of reviews that would probably be the best way to compile capacity information about diapers, although it seems like quite the task

Reactions: eastcoastdl and BigAl2
Back