Is anyone else having the same issues with ABU diapers?

Joediaper said:
Unlikely. We've been complaining about the SDK's for years now without any changes to make them better. In fact they have made them worse. Recent products have come from the manufacturer defective and we still end up paying full price until the batch is gone. PeekABU's are thinner and leakier now than the earlier versions. The second run of AlphaGators and LittleKings came to us with far less dense padding and less absorbency to match. ABU's quality control has been failing for the last 10 years or so and the fact that we end up paying full price for a diaper that they know is defective just puts icing on the cake. And that's not a cake I want to eat.
As harsh as it sounds, I agree with you. The quality control has seemed to have gotten worse. The diapers are a lot thinner than they used to be.

Honestly Reach out they have amazing customer service and they will make things right! NOT Like some other companys who will blame the end user and then be rude to their customers about it , good luck getting customer support if u get anything bad from rearz,

i have had a few issues with abu and they were kind and caring about the issues and actually wanted to know more about the issue or see so they can make things better and right! i had ever only a few issues was the launch dinoraws with the tapes witch unsure if they are better and probably impoooved now on , and the simple ultra the lanzing zones would shear apart after having it on

Joediaper said:
Unlikely. We've been complaining about the SDK's for years now without any changes to make them better. In fact they have made them worse. Recent products have come from the manufacturer defective and we still end up paying full price until the batch is gone. PeekABU's are thinner and leakier now than the earlier versions. The second run of AlphaGators and LittleKings came to us with far less dense padding and less absorbency to match. ABU's quality control has been failing for the last 10 years or so and the fact that we end up paying full price for a diaper that they know is defective just puts icing on the cake. And that's not a cake I want to eat.
I totally disagree with this statement with the exception of ABU SDKs.
I don't believe their products have become more inferior with the exception of of the SDKs V2. Yes I hate the ugly blue lining and leak guards and the thinness. Don't know why they had to fix something that to me wasn't broke. V1 was better and I wish they would bring them back. But who am I? I'm of the minority. A majority of ppl like the SDKs. I just don't order them.

I don't know where you are getting this info on the Little Kings and AlphaGatorZs being thinner on the 2nd batch. So far there have been several batches out and I have ordered from every batch and there is no difference.

Their customer service has always been top notch too. Just because a few customers complain doesn't mean every customer is dissatisfied. Some ppl are just harder to please and some ppl will never be pleased.
Example:
ABU releases Little Kings and AlphaGatorZs. A dream come true for us in the community. While ABU got lots of thanks and appreciation from many including me, there were those that just weren't satisfied. They wanted other things. They wanted stretchy sides, one tape per side. Then there were complaints about tapes ripping and a few others. Issues that a majority of us never had.

I can guarantee you that if ABU develops and releases an adult sized pull-up to imitate Huggies Pull-Ups, there will be some that will start complaining and criticizing the pull-up.

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

I love most of ABU diapers and if I just happen to get a bad batch with an issue to a few diapers I'm not gonna jump up and down having a hissy fit. I won't be happy about it, but it also won't stop me from ordering in the future. There are some things that are just out of anyone's control and I'm sure ABU doesn't have a representative at the end of every assembly line inspecting each individual diaper or batch that comes off the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: odd1inSyde and TigerDL
Nowididit said:
I totally disagree with this statement with the exception of ABU SDKs.
I don't believe their products have become more inferior with the exception of of the SDKs V2. Yes I hate the ugly blue lining and leak guards and the thinness. Don't know why they had to fix something that to me wasn't broke. V1 was better and I wish they would bring them back. But who am I? I'm of the minority. A majority of ppl like the SDKs. I just don't order them.

I don't know where you are getting this info on the Little Kings and AlphaGatorZs being thinner on the 2nd batch. So far there have been several batches out and I have ordered from every batch and there is no difference.

Their customer service has always been top notch too. Just because a few customers complain doesn't mean every customer is dissatisfied. Some ppl are just harder to please and some ppl will never be pleased.
Example:
ABU releases Little Kings and AlphaGatorZs. A dream come true for us in the community. While ABU got lots of thanks and appreciation from many including me, there were those that just weren't satisfied. They wanted other things. They wanted stretchy sides, one tape per side. Then there were complaints about tapes ripping and a few others. Issues that a majority of us never had.

I can guarantee you that if ABU develops and releases an adult sized pull-up to imitate Huggies Pull-Ups, there will be some that will start complaining and criticizing the pull-up.

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

I love most of ABU diapers and if I just happen to get a bad batch with an issue to a few diapers I'm not gonna jump up and down having a hissy fit. I won't be happy about it, but it also won't stop me from ordering in the future. There are some things that are just out of anyone's control and I'm sure ABU doesn't have a representative at the end of every assembly line inspecting each individual diaper or batch that comes off the line.
I dont know if its the heat where i live, or Fedex or both, or just defects because for the past several packs ive bought, (a case of simple ultras, 2 packs of dinorawrz, and pack of 1 littlepawz, these have been having problems with the tapes coming off. Im not sure if the glue or plastic is made weak from the extreme heat while shipping, or something else. But most of my recent abu diapers tapes have been failing

Dinorawz was tearing away for me the other day personally for the price you pay it isn’t worth it I get them from other ABDLS and Careers who have excess stock and even then I’m not a huge fan and usually stick to crinklz.

Joediaper said:
I used to wear these regularly. As I'm Incontinent they worked amazingly for night time.
Lately I've found the absorption seems less causing leaks. With the pricing now, there too expensive for me to order regularly anymore. Back to medical ones for me now as I can't afford to pay nearly £3 for each nappy.

Littlerhinoabdl said:
I used to wear these regularly. As I'm Incontinent they worked amazingly for night time.
Lately I've found the absorption seems less causing leaks. With the pricing now, there too expensive for me to order regularly anymore. Back to medical ones for me now as I can't afford to pay nearly £3 for each nappy.
Invest in Crinklz! They’re incredible please seriously try them they work out £1 per unit and performance wise slap any other brand in terms of cost to performance.

Reactions: Littlerhinoabdl
LittleMonsterUK said:
Invest in Crinklz! They’re incredible please seriously try them they work out £1 per unit and performance wise slap any other brand in terms of cost to performance.
I've used them before. I find that the wick doesn't draw the moisture away and though not fully used, leaves my bum wet and causes nappy rash. Though its been a while. Maybe worth a try 😉

Littlerhinoabdl said:
I've used them before. I find that the wick doesn't draw the moisture away and though not fully used, leaves my bum wet and causes nappy rash. Though its been a while. Maybe worth a try 😉
What?! I wish they reached the bum for me it takes like 3/4 wettings to even reach the back it bulges at the front I’ve very rarely had it reach the back, tell me your secret? Maybe you weren’t putting them on tight enough?

LittleMonsterUK said:
What?! I wish they reached the bum for me it takes like 3/4 wettings to even reach the back it bulges at the front I’ve very rarely had it reach the back, tell me your secret? Maybe you weren’t putting them on tight enough?
Night time wetting. I'm a bedwetter so the pee goes down to my bum through the night.

Littlerhinoabdl said:
Night time wetting. I'm a bedwetter so the pee goes down to my bum through the night.
Hmm well I wet lying down quite frequently and it still doesn’t reach my bum most times or if it does it soaks up to a point of me not noticing you should definitely give them a try, I don’t know when you last tried them but give them another go. One thing I will say is be careful with the original print my last pack had a couple with bad tapes (still managed to use all except one) but aquanaut and astronaut I’ve not had any problems! It may have just been a bad pack just something to think about.

Reactions: Littlerhinoabdl
Joediaper said:
Have you been complaining about defects or changes to the specification- there is a difference. I can give the same diaper to 20 ABDLs and get 35 opinions on what they like and don't like as it is extremely subjective- the texture of plastic I like will vary to the one you like, tape positioning preferences will be affected by your body shape and absorbency in the real world varies based on how you use it and how hydrated you are.

Reactions: odd1inSyde
Joediaper said:
I've certainly not had this experience. ABU remains the best of the big three companies, in my estimation, anyway.

ABUMichaelUK said:
Please do raise a ticket on www.abucares.com, defective products do happen sometimes and we will fix it.

Sorry but for £23+ a pack we shouldn’t have issues to contact about just please review your products, your price and quantity becomes right now I can’t think of a good thing to say.

I have not had any issues with ABU diapers thus far and I've gone through a whole years supply of them already. I know the newer little kings and gators had some issues with the cloth backing, but having them still out of stock every time I check I can't really verify that there are a huge quality issue. I've bought about half of their current designs of diapers so I think its a fairly broad sample and they always are superior quality to any other diapers, even Crinklz. I really love Crinklz diapers for their plastic, no landing zone, and thick padding. But with all that, ABU diapers are really well designed for actual daily use. I use these during the day as they fit well for being active, tapes don't give an inch. Best I can think of is simply a bad batch of diapers slipped through the cracks, it happens.

LittleMonsterUK said:
Sorry but for £23+ a pack we shouldn’t have issues to contact about just please review your products, your price and quantity becomes right now I can’t think of a good thing to say.
We cannot open and check every pack of diapers before they go out. Defects happen within production runs affecting a small number of products- it is the same with any manufacturer. When customers get something defective, we will replace it. A number of imrpovements have been implemented on recent runs which will hit stores soon including better tapes, better SAP and tougher tape landing zones- mostly in response to customer feedback.

Reactions: TigerDL, Littlerhinoabdl, odd1inSyde and 1 other person
ABUMichaelUK said:
We cannot open and check every pack of diapers before they go out. Defects happen within production runs affecting a small number of products- it is the same with any manufacturer. When customers get something defective, we will replace it. A number of imrpovements have been implemented on recent runs which will hit stores soon including better tapes, better SAP and tougher tape landing zones- mostly in response to customer feedback.

Tougher tapes is the most important, appreciate you taking that feedback from the community.

LittleMonsterUK said:
Hmm well I wet lying down quite frequently and it still doesn’t reach my bum most times or if it does it soaks up to a point of me not noticing you should definitely give them a try, I don’t know when you last tried them but give them another go. One thing I will say is be careful with the original print my last pack had a couple with bad tapes (still managed to use all except one) but aquanaut and astronaut I’ve not had any problems! It may have just been a bad pack just something to think about.
Ordered some last night. Should be here tomorrow

Littlerhinoabdl said:
Ordered some last night. Should be here tomorrow
Hopefully you went with aquanaut or astronaut they’ve never given me an issue 😊

Nowididit said:
From the orders I placed, from an email they sent out and from this link where they made changes around May. The pack I ordered previously had far denser padding than my current bag. I would say the padding is about half as dense in the new bag. In the email they said they had made the padding lighter and softer with more absorbency.

In the link I posted, they say, "...6750ml is an achievable level of sog!" Even if the diaper were designed better that would be impossible. In fact reaching any diapers ISO by using it like it's intended is not possible. ISO ratings are done by soaking the diaper for a predetermined amount of time, letting it drip "dry", then weighing it. This test completely saturates the entire padding which we would never be able to accomplish due to our anatomy. It also doesn't press out the excess fluids that the diaper is unable to retain.

Another of the changes to the padding is they ditched a lot of the natural fibers and went with a higher ratio of synthetic short strand fibers in the core. Synthetic fibers make it softer and more comfortable but they don't wick or absorb like natural fibers do. The fibers being short doesn't help either. All this is why, if you don't have the diaper tight to your body like it shouldn't be anyway, you get the big ball of expanded SAP between your legs and it leaks. I know what the content of the padding is because I cut them open when I modify them. It's easy to tell what it's made of by pulling a piece out, getting the SAP out and wetting it. Once saturated you press the water out with a folded up paper towel. Synthetic materials will be much drier than the paper towel and fluff back up a bit after pressing. Natural fibers will retain more moisture and stay clumped together.

ABUMichaelUK said:
Have you been complaining about defects or changes to the specification-
Not me - us. Just search ABU on this site and you'll find a whole slew of complaints about both.

ABUMichaelUK said:
When customers get something defective, we will replace it.
The diapers with misplaced tapes weren't replaced and continued to be sold at normal price. This was just one instance but was still unacceptable in my eyes.

Most of the complaints people have about ABU is the constant changes to the specifications of the diapers. The changes that, from an engineering standpoint, make absolutely no sense because they don't actually improve the product. Simply adding more SAP doesn't make sense because the design is already flawed and leaks out the back before the SAP higher up the back can absorb and lock away fluids. Using more synthetic materials makes no sense because synthetics don't wick or absorb anything. Changing the materials of the backsheet and topsheet constantly makes no sense but I'm sure saves the manufacturer because they can just use whatever is laying around. Leakguard material on the SDK is a good case in point when they changed to the dark blue. ABU admitted early on that it wasn't a change they asked for. I could go on for hours typing all the things I have seen from ABU that have slowly turned me away from their products. Even a few people here have quoted my post already agreeing with me.

ABUMichaelUK said:

Of course you can't open them all and check them but there are quality control methods that ABU could request from the manufacturer before a lot is shipped. All this leads me to believe that ABU has absolutely no control over the QC of what comes off the production line. No testing, lot samples for acceptance, etc. That leads me to believe some of these changes to the diapers that ABU touts as improvements is more of the manufacturer telling ABU what they're going to get instead of the other way around.

That is what make ABU's products not worth what we pay for them.

Back