I'm pro nuclear power.

dogboy said:
The only sticking point is finding safe places where the nuclear waste can be disposed.
You've all missed the biggest sticking point - cost.

Nuclear needs to run 24/7/365 in order to make back its massive construction costs, plus the interest on top of 20 years of construction costs before a single kilowatt is generated. When spot prices are regularly below nuclear (and getting to zero at times) there's no way it can compete long term against wind, solar and batteries.

There's a reason why billions are being plowed into renewables and nothing is happening in nuclear (except the builders going bankrupt). You can actually get your money back with renewables.

Mom always said “If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.” so goodbye.

Van helsing , im a vampire too lol , yea victorian era and edwardian is my favorite . I thought for awhile edwardian was victorian i didnt know the name edwardian until awhile back. edwardian was the style of the titanic it is so similar to victorian it is hard for me tell much of a difference. Yea I have a blue apatite crystal that has thorium in it the short lived isotopes thankfully the radiation isnt too bad but it definitely explains why the radiation level is enough to go through glass and some metal as if it isnt even there. Where as the radiation level of my uranium glass marbles for instance is staying inside of the jar.

"The only sticking point is finding safe places where the nuclear waste can be disposed." , well i guess they could just dump into the ground like the oil companies do lol..... jk there are fast reactors that use the waste actually. I have heard of the issue of construction cost. Solar i think is a good supplement but not good to replace everything with it. Wind power is just bad for everyone including the birds lol why? well who wants to have bad tinnitus from the sound of the wind turbines. Lithium batteries are so unstable i wish they would find a different technology for batteries to be honest. Lithium poly batteries specifically are so unstable, yet they are in everything.

"There's a reason why billions are being plowed into renewables and nothing is happening in nuclear" some of that isnt financial but because of propaganda fear against nuclear. The cost could come down especially since they are working on mini reactors.

"

“If Only I Would’ve Known”​

Oil & Gas Whistleblowers Speak Out About Exposure to Radioactivity on Fracking Jobs"​

https://publicherald.org/if-only-i-...t-exposure-to-radioactivity-on-fracking-jobs/

"

Neighbors say noise from wind turbine has made them miserable"​

https://www.boston25news.com/news/n...nd-turbine-has-made-them-miserable/620750571/

Last edited:
PamperedBabyBear said:
The cost could come down especially since they are working on mini reactors.
It will never come down enough.

This isn't a question of propaganda, merely profits.

Maybe we should just cover all the land entirely with solar panels so there is no grass anymore. I like some solar but I think using solar to run a town is absurd. The propaganda i was talking about was the intense fear they put into people against nuclear power. Seeing radioactive material in person makes it hard to not ask why we are not using this more because it has tons of energy and it wouldnt matter if the weather was bad or if it was nighttime.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For the record I like solar , I used it after a hurricane to have power when there was no power for 2 weeks. It has it's uses , I think one of the optimal ways of generating solar power is a parabola pointed to a sterling engine that drives a generator. I have defended solar for years i still defend solar especially against those who bash solar hard due to them feeling like they having solar forced on them. I caught hell for defending solar especially when where i live they are heavily against green energy of any kind. I was devalued throughout my life for liking solar and alternative energy because i live in the deep south and they tend to be anti green energy and tend to be anti intellectual in my personal experience. I was devalued my entire life for being an intellectual and not a jock. I would like to eventually have more solar panels at some point the prices have gotten much cheaper in recent years. So i am not anti solar. Im not against the oil companies either entirely i like plastic for diapers which comes from oil. I like my car that runs on oil i'm not a fan of electric cars I personally believe the current electric cars are dangerous because I dont trust sitting in a vehicle with a giant lithium battery. All it takes is the lithium cells to become unbalanced and not charged properly and they catch fire. I have been through a fire in general before it is scary stuff. I dont believe plastic is the problem contrary to the propaganda against plastic. In regards to coal i was obsessed with coal powered trains and love the titanic when i was young i still love the titanic and that old technology. My point was there is a lot of fear propaganda im talking about the so called dangers of nuclear that is hypocritical and some of it is outright false. The propaganda a decade ago had me afraid of nuclear power until i realized it was propaganda. I certainly have respect for nuclear as it can be dangerous but so can gas, oil and coal which also produce radioactive waste.

I just think in my personal opinion there should be more nuclear power plants. I saw some wind turbines in the desert they reminded me of the game state of decay lol, on some level i think they are not entirely bad but they definitely are no good for tinnitus if they are producing a high pitch loud whine. Solar is powered by a giant nuclear fusion reactor the sun technically so is wind produced by temperature differentials causing the wind in the first place.

Last edited:
chamberpot said:
I have always been pro nuke, usa's worst nuke power accident 3 mile island .. well the folks in Denver co. receive more radiation daily by living a mile closer to the sun then the folks at 3 mile island.

Now what worries me is that they will make a self contained nuke generator that is small enough to make plenty power to be installed in robotics Think Terminators
Back in 1983 I got to tour the Seabrook, NH Nuclear Power Station while it was under construction.
Back then I was in the Wentworth Institute Student Chapter of the IEEE.

Reactions: PamperedBabyBear
PamperedBabyBear said:
Maybe we should just cover all the land entirely with solar panels so there is no grass anymore. I like some solar but I think using solar to run a town is absurd.
Why? Plenty of places are run entirely on solar or wind energy.
PamperedBabyBear said:
Seeing radioactive material in person makes it hard to not ask why we are not using this more because it has tons of energy and it wouldnt matter if the weather was bad or if it was nighttime.
Uranium glass and similar objects are an amusing novelty, but they're not a useful power source. We already have solutions for night-time and poor weather; they're called an electric grid and electricity storage (usually, but not always batteries) and they work much more economically than nuclear ever will. We're trying to build a nuclear plant in my state; we are something like 15 years behind schedule and about $15 billion over budget. I am unsure if it's energy that runs for a very long time, but I and other ratepayers will be paying for it for a very, very very long time. And then we'll pay just as much to decommission the plant.
PamperedBabyBear said:
Of course money is part of the reason im sure big oil , coal and gas doesn't want nuclear after all it is a energy that runs for a very long time.
Almost no one uses oil for electricity, it's too expensive given the other uses for oil. And the coal and gas lobbies are hell-bent against wind and solar, they don't care about nuclear because it's the only form of electricity generation that is less economical than their own!

greenie much

"Uranium glass and similar objects are an amusing novelty, but they're not a useful power source." in their current state ? lol they actually show that with only the small amount of material in uranium glass for instance it is still radioactive all the years later where does that come from? energy , anyway : Thorium 232 which is inside of the crystal rock i mentioned has a half life of 14 billion years there are thorium salt reactor technology that does infact use thorium 232. Thorium was named after the god of lightning thor due to how much energy it really has. It is certainly a useful power source. My comment about oil is mostly about vehicles and about how the raw oil coming out of the ground being filtered out produce "radioactive waste" from the natural radium in the ground and how the fear of radioactive waste in regards to nuclear power plants is hypocritical, i dont believe electric cars that run on lithium polymer batteries are safe. All it takes is the battery to go out of balance and the battery becomes highly unstable and dangerous. Cars could be running on hydrogen power on hydrogen that is extracted with the energy of nuclear . I'm not against gasoline and oil in cars i like my car as i said. My original post is pointing out the hypocrisy of the fear of radioactive material when oil gas and coal all produce radioactive waste.

Nuclear would probably be much cheaper if they built them the way oil gas and coal treat radioactive waste lol with less regulation.

Raw oil coming out of the ground has to be refined and filtered , after all it usually has radium 226. To me the fear of nuclear waste is hypocritical when oil gas and coal all produce radioactive waste.

Who wants the constant high pitch whine of a wind generator to deal with. I would rather the risk of radiation.

Imagine a place like new orleans powered entirely by solar and wind. I couldnt see that happening and ive promoted solar for years. Imagine a category 5 hurricane hits , unless each panel is retractable and you can put all that up every hurricane that comes it would get completely wiped out they would have to shut the whole system down every time a major hurricane comes. I think we should use a variety of energy sources on some level , but complete domination of solar and wind i just don't think that is sustainable.

Last edited:
energydensity.jpg

Uranium is a very useful power source

Neither solar nor wind power would even exist if it wasnt for the fusion reactor in space we call the sun.

The way things are going with AI and Robotics , maybe they will eventually streamline construction of nuclear power plants a not even require a single person to build it. Less cost

Last edited:
PamperedBabyBear said:
Maybe we should just cover all the land entirely with solar panels so there is no grass anymore. I like some solar but I think using solar to run a town is absurd. The propaganda i was talking about was the intense fear they put into people against nuclear power. Seeing radioactive material in person makes it hard to not ask why we are not using this more because it has tons of energy and it wouldnt matter if the weather was bad or if it was nighttime.
I read an article that said if they covered the state of New Mexico with solar panels, there would be enough electricity generated to run the entire United States from it. It does make one think.

I studied electrical engineering and was offered a PhD in the field of renewable energies. Of course I was very grateful, but I recognized more potential in nuclear energy.
I told my professor and he understood. Unfortunately, my country is far too afraid of this technology. We are obviously incapable of mastering it and have to let others do it.

• Thinking
Reactions: Fiammaverde and KBoy
foxkits said:
I'm pro hydrogen go thermal .

I think hydrogen and geothermal will be the way we go in the future.

Reactions: foxkits and KBoy
dogboy said:
I read an article that said if they covered the state of New Mexico with solar panels, there would be enough electricity generated to run the entire United States from it. It does make one think.
i have a solar generator in storage for hurricane season , im not anti solar , i also dont think all of new mexico should be covered in them lol . I do eventually want a solar generator system enough to power much of a home. The costs of solar panels have decreased a lot in the last decade or so.

Speaking of the nuclear battery in the terminator that was one of my favorite scenes in the movie terminator lol where he tosses the battery and it goes nuke lol

Last edited:
For those concerned about waste, all of Switzerland's lifetime nuclear waste fits in a storage room. This is a country that has been using nuclear as a major source of power since the mid 20th century.

PamperedBabyBear said:
i have a solar generator in storage for hurricane season , im not anti solar , i also dont think all of new mexico should be covered in them lol . I do eventually want a solar generator system enough to power much of a home. The costs of solar panels have decreased a lot in the last decade or so.

Speaking of the nuclear battery in the terminator that was one of my favorite scenes in the movie terminator lol where he tosses the battery and it goes nuke lol
Haha...yeah, I think the people who live in New Mexico might having something to say about that!

• Haha
Reactions: PamperedBabyBear
dogboy said:
Haha...yeah, I think the people who live in New Mexico might having something to say about that!
I think even the aliens might complain about it lol

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy
Back