I'm pro nuclear power.

foxkits said:
I'm pro hydrogen go thermal .
I used to study in my own to build a hydrogen fuel cell or hydrogen engine . The problem I always came across was how much power it required to produce hydrogen . I think nuclear energy is a good source to use to create hydrogen. I heard they recently found a hydrogen source it is probably from a radioactive source in the ground producing it.

Reactions: Edgewater, diaperdude and CuriousFabio
Pelusos said:
I think we cannot skip the nuclear energy if we don't want to reduce the standard of living. All technologies have risk. Alternative power points like solar pannels, wind turbines can help but are not able to make enough energy, they make elecric power when the weather is adequate not when we need it and electrical network can not integrate this.
Biggest source of radioactivity is radon, izotop of radium, we get it from the rocks and soil everywhere, highest level in the buildings from brics and cement so the best you can do it is change the air in your house everyday. It's alpha radioactivity, we have been liveing with it for houndred thousend years, we tolerate it, breath in and out, but when aerosol drops stick in the lungs because of smoking or smog with this radon than we live with high risk of canser.
Old buildind industry made special risks. When the river gravel was expensive but slag of smelter was chip they made 60-80 centimeters wide ceiling from slag, and this can couse radioactivity.
Geiger-Müller instrument detect all the ionizing radiation. There are everywhere around us, from UV-B light to your mikrowave oven.
That is why I put my crystal stone that is radioactive ☢️ into a jar because it is thorium and it produces a form of “radon” that said on an interesting note there are people that still use radon for “health purposes” I read an article where insurance in europe even covers people who are using it medicinal purposes. I’m not doctor I don’t have a license . I thought that was an interesting note since usually all we hear about is bad things about radon . People using it for health remind me of the old radium advertisements lol. There is a radon “health mine” in Montana I heard about too where people pay to go into this old uranium mine to breathe the air for health reasons saying it helps them with their chronic pain. That said gov usually says radon is bad for you .

Last edited:
Pelusos said:
I think we cannot skip the nuclear energy if we don't want to reduce the standard of living. All technologies have risk. Alternative power points like solar pannels, wind turbines can help but are not able to make enough energy, they make elecric power when the weather is adequate not when we need it and electrical network can not integrate this.
Biggest source of radioactivity is radon, izotop of radium, we get it from the rocks and soil everywhere, highest level in the buildings from brics and cement so the best you can do it is change the air in your house everyday. It's alpha radioactivity, we have been liveing with it for houndred thousend years, we tolerate it, breath in and out, but when aerosol drops stick in the lungs because of smoking or smog with this radon than we live with high risk of canser.
Old buildind industry made special risks. When the river gravel was expensive but slag of smelter was chip they made 60-80 centimeters wide ceiling from slag, and this can couse radioactivity.
Geiger-Müller instrument detect all the ionizing radiation. There are everywhere around us, from UV-B light to your mikrowave oven.
A microwave oven isn’t ionizing radiation it is non ionizing . My geigers have never reacted to a microwave contrary to what I used to be told . That said you mentioned UV light to your microwave the entire light spectrum is electromagnetic radiation it is just lower frequency lower energy. If sped up then it would be ionizing radioactive gamma radiation.

Reactions: Pelusos
I love nuclear! I randomly know a lot of people who work in the field.

I wish it was properly taught in public schools. The Dunning Kruger effect just makes people scared of it.

Reactions: diaperdude and CuriousFabio
There are two things that are consent wave action and geothermal there are things that boils at a lower temp then water.
Drill down and let the planet heat to Run a turbine . Non polluting. The ocean have lots of wave action.

Nuclear power is also needed for long-distance/long duration space flight beyond Earth orbit or Lunar orbit.
With the exception of the JUNO Orbiter around the Planet Jupiter, if we want to reach the Outer Solar System in weeks, Nuclear Power and Nuclear Propulsion is required.
MOONBASE ALPHA in SPACE:1999 TV show used Nuclear Power.

Reactions: KBoy, PamperedBabyBear and CuriousFabio
caitianx said:
Nuclear power is also needed for long-distance/long duration space flight beyond Earth orbit or Lunar orbit.
With the exception of the JUNO Orbiter around the Planet Jupiter, if we want to reach the Outer Solar System in weeks, Nuclear Power and Nuclear Propulsion is required.
In that case yes of course they're are Soler sailing being developed

I'm very pro nuclear (go ahead, make all the Iranian nuclear jokes you want, I'll allow it) and I think it's the only option for a reliable baseload for jurisdictions not blessed with copious amounts of cheap hydro. I was very pleased when the California government decided to keep our last nuclear plant operating for the rest of the decade.

Did you know that Ontario used nuclear power to "clean up" Toronto's air? Before Nanticoke Generating Station, a horrendous coal plant, was shut down, Toronto had numerous smog days per year. After the shutdown and the refurbishing of some nuclear reactors to increase nuclear capacity, Toronto went down to 0 smog days, and now has some of the cleanest air in the world.

People think renewables and nuclear can't coexist. I disagree. We need both for a good grid. Nuclear cannot be ramped up and down, so it's perfect to meet the baseload of the grid. Renewables + battery storage are good for meeting demand when needed. In California we also have hydro, but it's not enough to meet all of our energy needs. We use it to fill in for solar when the sun starts to go down.

In Iran, despite all the hype, nuclear is only 1% of the power supply. Over 90% comes from gas or worse, mazut heavy fuel oil (aka refinery garbage). Fun fact, Iran's nuclear program has an American made Westinghouse reactor in its arsenal of machinery.

Reactions: BigAl1
foxkits said:
There are two things that are consent wave action and geothermal there are things that boils at a lower temp then water.
Drill down and let the planet heat to Run a turbine . Non polluting. The ocean have lots of wave action.
Believe it or not geothermal tends to be radioactive too , much of the heat in the ground is produced by radioactive decay. There is certainly power in geothermal too.

Reactions: diaperdude and CuriousFabio
I wonder how much California’s oil history ironically polluted the top ground or ground water with radium ? I’m certainly not against other renewables being used as well . I’m not even entirely against the oil companies I like plastic .

Last edited:
PamperedBabyBear said:
Believe it or not geothermal tends to be radioactive too , much of the heat in the ground is produced by radioactive decay. There is certainly power in geothermal too.
I visited the world's largest complex of geothermal power plants last may. It was an awesome experience.

caitianx said:
"Nuclear power is also needed for long-distance/long duration space flight beyond Earth orbit or Lunar orbit." I hear the aliens figured that out lol i believe they did

Last edited:
I have always been pro nuke, usa's worst nuke power accident 3 mile island .. well the folks in Denver co. receive more radiation daily by living a mile closer to the sun then the folks at 3 mile island.

Now what worries me is that they will make a self contained nuke generator that is small enough to make plenty power to be installed in robotics Think Terminators

chamberpot said:
I have always been pro nuke, usa's worst nuke power accident 3 mile island .. well the folks in Denver co. receive more radiation daily by living a mile closer to the sun then the folks at 3 mile island.

Now what worries me is that they will make a self contained nuke generator that is small enough to make plenty power to be installed in robotics Think Terminators
Not to mention all of Colorado's coal plants. Coal emits a ton of radiation when burned

Reactions: CuriousFabio
pro nuke as well

Reactions: CuriousFabio and PamperedBabyBear
colorado has uranium mines , the place kinda reminds me of fallout the game lol , people dont realize that uranium is just sitting around outside everywhere in the desert, there some interesting videos of them online.

Last edited:
I ❤️ Nuclear Power
We use it here
It's the only game in town
I believe Coal needs to stop in my lifetime

My wife and I used to eat out with a friend on a weekly basis and he designed nuclear reactors for Framatome. There are more recent designs for n. reactors that are smaller and a lot safer than the old ones. The only sticking point is finding safe places where the nuclear waste can be disposed.

Reactions: CuriousFabio and KBoy
PamperedBabyBear said:
A microwave oven isn’t ionizing radiation it is non ionizing . My geigers have never reacted to a microwave contrary to what I used to be told . That said you mentioned UV light to your microwave the entire light spectrum is electromagnetic radiation it is just lower frequency lower energy. If sped up then it would be ionizing radioactive gamma radiation.
You're right, mikrowave is not ionizing.

Reactions: PamperedBabyBear
It is scary thought that Victorians and Edwardians used Radium in their cosmetics to give them a "Healthy" glow! I do have to say, uranium in glass does give it a very pretty greenish/orange glow.

What I think is counter intuitive is that isotopes with a short half-life are more dangerous than those with a long half-life as they are more likely to frequently emit a radioactive particle. Having said that I still would not want to go near Plutonium as it is toxic and auto combust, not a good combination.

Back