How to travel with bunch of diapers?

arctic said:
I agree. Atlantic side is nice. But the Pacific side is the best.

I'll probably retire in Puerto Vallarta.
thinking about retiring to Mexico as well. your retirement saving will go much further and beautiful climate

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Joeysms said:
nice area to stay. go with the $25 early bird check in with Southwest it is worth. look for the wind seats at the exits there is extra leg rest and two of those seats do not have a seat directly in front of them. if you skip the early bird check in when you get to your gate asks the deck agent what the fee would be to upgrade to the A 1-15 boarding status can be $15-$35 but also worth it being one of the first on the plane. allow extra time in the airport so you are not rushing. one thing in Mexico after you get your luggage security randomly stop passage ask questions and at times will take you aside and have you open your luggage to look through it. it is no big deal. most will just ask some questions. i am one who they seem to stop every time (LOL). trust me all they do is look they don't empty your luggage out. dress in summer clothes if possible because it will be very warm outside. have fun it will be an amazing adventure.
Good advice, we have early check in now and I flew out of the country with southwest the last couple years so know what to expect there.
I just had less need for as many diapers then as I do at this time so packing them down was my biggest concern but think we got it covered now.
I honestly don’t care if anyone opens or sees them, it is what it is and I’m not traveling with anyone that don’t already know I have to wear them.

The next biggest pain is what to wear like on way to beach etc. I usually stick a pad in my swim shorts and descretely remove in a near restroom or something. Boat trips like fishing or rides always get my anxiety up too. I either have to pick things that we will be in water quick or, stay on boat with a whole diaper on. I always figure it out one way or another :)
Have to keep living life!

Reactions: Joeysms, AttilaThePun and newt
Use a duffel bag style of luggage that can be easily folded up and returned inside your other luggage. Travel with unopened bags of diapers as they are already compressed. Lastly, if possible, plan to buy diapers at your destination as it reduces what you have to ship. It may not be your favorite brand but, it is only for a few days.

• Thinking
arctic said:
Decent adult diapers are simply not available in Mexico, unless you're in Mexico City.

If you're banking on buying while there, you'll almost certainly do without for the entire time you're in Mexico.

And if you're actually incontinent or if you wet the bed, that's not a good option.
If staying in a unit with its own washer and dryer, cloth diapers could be advantageous to bring, because they could be laundered promptly. I know they do have their pro and con aspects, though.

Free second bag per the ADA. I flew to Iceland in 2022 for three weeks with a diaper each night plus some extra and pull-ups without issue. No charge from Delta to Iceland and upon checkin I used that bag for bringing presents back and because it was flagged for ADA no cost for the return trip either.

I just got back from Naples, Florida. It was a short trip (5 days). Typically I stay there for 10 days (or more). But my girlfriend had to be back for work. Usually, if I'm going to the trip, I'll ship the diapers. It's easier. Believe me. That way I don't have to worry bringing me the diapers. 5 days? A close one but by then I just brought them. [By the way, Naples is trying to recover from the hurricane]

iatec779 said:
Good advice, we have early check in now and I flew out of the country with southwest the last couple years so know what to expect there.
I just had less need for as many diapers then as I do at this time so packing them down was my biggest concern but think we got it covered now.
I honestly don’t care if anyone opens or sees them, it is what it is and I’m not traveling with anyone that don’t already know I have to wear them.

The next biggest pain is what to wear like on way to beach etc. I usually stick a pad in my swim shorts and descretely remove in a near restroom or something. Boat trips like fishing or rides always get my anxiety up too. I either have to pick things that we will be in water quick or, stay on boat with a whole diaper on. I always figure it out one way or another :)
Have to keep living life!
you will figure it out. i know it can be expensive but had you looked at a washable swim diaper for under your shorts for in and out of the water? they are great for the pool and ocean.

Pack extra diapers I ran our on our last trip and the drive home was a pain as I had to buy CVS and walmart’s idea of a premium diaper , on our next trip I will definitely bring more diapers as a just incase :)

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Joeysms and iatec779
Joeysms said:
you will figure it out. i know it can be expensive but had you looked at a washable swim diaper for under your shorts for in and out of the water? they are great for the pool and ocean.
I’ve looked at those before but wasn’t sure how it work out. Would work for going to swim but if you’re in the water don’t really need it. Then after you get out guess I figured it would be pretty useless for pee, maybe hold the dribbles back to the room which would be helpful.
And I thought it would be super noticeable.

Anything you recommend?

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun and newt
Rob110 said:
Pack extra diapers I ran our on our last trip and the drive home was a pain as I had to buy CVS and walmart’s idea of a premium diaper , on our next trip I will definitely bring more diapers as a just incase :)
For any trip, pack extra diapers. Twice now, going up to a remote cabin we were stranded for longer than our original plans because of car trouble.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and newt
iatec779 said:
I’ve looked at those before but wasn’t sure how it work out. Would work for going to swim but if you’re in the water don’t really need it. Then after you get out guess I figured it would be pretty useless for pee, maybe hold the dribbles back to the room which would be helpful.

Anything you recommend?
I used Swimmates last time I was in Mexico. They are absolutely not good for any type of absorption. But since I was either at the beach or pool I never minded. It was more for knowing there was something in between me and the ground in case I had an accident (as long as it wasn't a full bladder release). So if I was just walking around or in line for a margarita and I had an accident, it would at least stop most of it so I wouldn't all of a sudden be dripping. And if I did have an accident I'd just go into the water to clear it out.

Don't expect much from them or rely on them like regular diapers. But if your only expectation is to give yourself a bit of time to avoid looking like you peed yourself, they may be helpful. And they are not thick at all so easy to hide under a swimsuit. Though I am always in the market for better ideas than those. Beach/pools are the one area I have not sufficiently solved with IC

Reactions: iatec779 and AttilaThePun
iatec779 said:

Anything you recommend?
they are mainly intended for bowel incontinence. i agree in the water there isn't much need. when dry they aren't a bad form of diaper. they can feel a bit heavy once wet. to me it isn't noticeable under swim trunk. i go to a swim class once a week and wear one under my trunks. mainly because sometimes there is a wait before getting into the pool. i have two from Rearz. i too when excited tend to wet more so when traveling out in a boat to go snorkeling the swim diaper has come in handy for me until i get into the water. the Rearz are adjustable, but sadly i don't think they have any that are just plain white or solid color. for me it is more of a back up until i get into the water.

Rob110 said:
we have found it is best to pack extra to be safe. better to bring some home than not enough. travels adds stress and excitement which can increase wetting.

Joeysms said:
they are mainly intended for bowel incontinence. i agree in the water there isn't much need. when dry they aren't a bad form of diaper. they can feel a bit heavy once wet. to me it isn't noticeable under swim trunk. i go to a swim class once a week and wear one under my trunks. mainly because sometimes there is a wait before getting into the pool. i have two from Rearz. i too when excited tend to wet more so when traveling out in a boat to go snorkeling the swim diaper has come in handy for me until i get into the water. the Rearz are adjustable, but sadly i don't think they have any that are just plain white or solid color. for me it is more of a back up until i get into the water.
How do they feel on the return trip like in boat when dry and you have to sit in it for an hour or so?
That was the part I was worried most about

ADA (in the USA) is mentioned a few times for an extra medical bag on plane for free... While it's good PR, no airline is required to transport extra baggage in the USA (and some discount airlines charge even for carry-on bags) - check the policies of the airline your flying, they usually explicitly state if they will transport one free checked bag that contains medical supplies or not. Most do, but definitely not all! Check their terms (website, or call and ask) they usually state very clearly "nothing but medical supplies inside or it's considered chargable" if it's allowed.

Also, totally second the "use a duffel bag" if possible and then you can return with one less bag by packing the fabric duffel bag inside another suitcase trick! Doing that right now... disposable diapers get used up!

Also have personally used the "ship diapers supplies to hotel" trick, easier when in-country, and ask the hotel about it (how to address it, etc.) before having it shipped. Hotel might charge for accepting and holding it, or not! Seem to recall my shipped box of diapers was waiting inside my room on check in (small cabin resort, not national chain) when I did that. Already got "free" shipping on the case of diapers, just had it sent to where I i was going to be!

Reactions: AttilaThePun and iatec779
iatec779 said:
How do they feel on the return trip like in boat when dry and you have to sit in it for an hour or so?
That was the part I was worried most about
for me it is not uncomfortable. the swim diaper will be wet like your swim trunks and will like alike heavy due to the water in it and it will take longer to dry out than your trunks. i normally just sit on a towel for any return ride. once to find a private place where you can change out of both your trunks and the swim diaper it will ring out easy and can be wrapped up with your trunks inside your towel or a plastic bag. we have been on outings that are a combination of land based and water active: like visiting Tulum (Mayan Port Ruins) then going snorkeling with turtles, and swimming in a Cenote and there has always been easy private places to change into swim gear and out of swim gear back into dry clothes. the swim diaper travels well right along with the swim trunks and towel. You can warp both up inside your towel when finished or take a long a plastic bag for the wet stuff. for it is part of the routine of what i pack when going on a water activity outing. i like the Rearz because they aren't as expensive as other washable swim diapers on the market and they fit me good. i would suggest testing it out to see if you like. maybe purchasing ahead time and going to a pool to try it out or even around the pool at the resort first. if you feel uncomfortable in it the nice part is you can step into any restroom and take it off without having to fully remove your trunks. i tend to be more open so i can change in and out of my trunks and swim diaper with a towel wrapped around me. the swim diapers has been great for me for long boat rides out to go snorkeling, private bays to swim, swimming with stingrays, etc. i don't worry much about the ride back because all is wet and i bring two towels one for sitting and one for drying off. should you try a swim diaper i would like to read your experience with it.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and iatec779
Joeysms said:
for me it is not uncomfortable. the swim diaper will be wet like your swim trunks and will like alike heavy due to the water in it and it will take longer to dry out than your trunks. i normally just sit on a towel for any return ride. once to find a private place where you can change out of both your trunks and the swim diaper it will ring out easy and can be wrapped up with your trunks inside your towel or a plastic bag. we have been on outings that are a combination of land based and water active: like visiting Tulum (Mayan Port Ruins) then going snorkeling with turtles, and swimming in a Cenote and there has always been easy private places to change into swim gear and out of swim gear back into dry clothes. the swim diaper travels well right along with the swim trunks and towel. You can warp both up inside your towel when finished or take a long a plastic bag for the wet stuff. for it is part of the routine of what i pack when going on a water activity outing. i like the Rearz because they aren't as expensive as other washable swim diapers on the market and they fit me good. i would suggest testing it out to see if you like. maybe purchasing ahead time and going to a pool to try it out or even around the pool at the resort first. if you feel uncomfortable in it the nice part is you can step into any restroom and take it off without having to fully remove your trunks. i tend to be more open so i can change in and out of my trunks and swim diaper with a towel wrapped around me. the swim diapers has been great for me for long boat rides out to go snorkeling, private bays to swim, swimming with stingrays, etc. i don't worry much about the ride back because all is wet and i bring two towels one for sitting and one for drying off. should you try a swim diaper i would like to read your experience with it.
Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll look around for one this weekend

Reactions: Joeysms and AttilaThePun
PupSpaz said:
ADA (in the USA) is mentioned a few times for an extra medical bag on plane for free... While it's good PR, no airline is required to transport extra baggage in the USA (and some discount airlines charge even for carry-on bags) - check the policies of the airline your flying, they usually explicitly state if they will transport one free checked bag that contains medical supplies or not. Most do, but definitely not all! Check their terms (website, or call and ask) they usually state very clearly "nothing but medical supplies inside or it's considered chargable" if it's allowed.

I just traveled last week and learned that US law requires airlines to allow extra baggage for medical devices. It does not count against your baggage allowance. It is an actual law and not just an optional thing. I wrote more about it in this thread: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/air-travel-with-diapers-i-learned-something.182715/

You generally cannot mix medical and personal items; the medical bag needs to be medical items only. Not really a problem, just be aware of it so that you do not get charged a fee for the extra bag.

FWIW, I flew on Frontier, the most budget of budget airlines. My medical bag went with me both ways without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: iatec779
Jellyfish said:
I just traveled last week and learned that US law requires airlines to allow extra baggage for medical devices. It does not count against your baggage allowance. It is an actual law and not just an optional thing. I wrote more about it in this thread: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/air-travel-with-diapers-i-learned-something.182715/

You generally cannot mix medical and personal items; the medical bag needs to be medical items only. Not really a problem, just be aware of it so that you do not get charged a fee for the extra bag.

FWIW, I flew on Frontier, the most budget of budget airlines. My medical bag went with me both ways without issue.
Great info thanks!!

I was reading back on this thread to review all the great advice as we’re leaving next week.
I decided to take a duffel bag as a 2nd checked bag and fit total 3 bags of diapers. megamax, megamax airlock, and some supreme pull-ups in it. Along with wipes, cream, PUL pants, etc. rest will go in my carry on and backups just in case.
I bought a couple so-secure swim diapers and a bag of tranquility Swimmates. I actually tried them both out at a hotel last weekend. The so-secure were probably least noticeable and held drips but I would only trust them for a bit as not much to absorb anything real. The Swimmates had more pre-pool protection but made me a little self conscious as defiantly look like a diaper if your trunks are riding down. They felt a little more bulky when wet but not bad at all if you’re already used to wearing real diapers lol.
Got TSA precheck ready and not really worried about the airport. Going to make every attempt to go through security dry but If they really want to see my diaper so be it lol. I’ll never see them again and my wife see’s me in them daily.

Anyway thanks again for those who responded, think I’m good to go!

Back