How to travel with bunch of diapers?

Is it possible you could bring two suitcases? One for your clothes and other stuff and one for just your diapers and diapering supplies?

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Tetra said:
If your are flying out of a US airport ,the ADA covers an extra checked bag for medical equipment so over pack a large bag with cpap and diapers .
This. Done it many times when flying for work or holiday. I’ve even packed enough for three weeks in one bag of luggage and I wear about 4 per day.

I’ve also tried shipping diapers to my travel destination. Sometimes though the shipping can be delayed and then you’re screwed.

Last edited:
newt said:
I tried the vacuum seal idea before I went to Italy for 10 days. They didn't really shrink all that much, maybe room stacked for an extra diaper or two. And it somehow made it feel twice as heavy. Another main problem was I either needed A LOT of smaller vacuum bags or have to reseal a bigger one every time I needed a new one. So I didn't use that method.

But for my trip to the west coast for Christmas, which was about 8 days, I bought a new Amazon basics 28-inch luggage that fit A LOT of diapers (both Megamaxes and Megamax Lites) while giving me plenty of room for my clothes. And that was with more cold-weather clothes than you would ever need in Cancun. It might be enough for you.

If not I agree with the others to pack them all in their own bag as medical equipment that can be folded back into the suitcase after.
I'm not surprised that they didn't vacuum-compress all that much, since they've already been compressed for factory bagging. You'd probably accomplish more compression by packing them tightly inside the dedicated luggage, with the factory packaging intact.

I like to let each bag of Abri-Form Comfort level 4 diapers decompress when I first open a new bag, by removing 2 or 3 from the bag and letting them sit on the shelf. That way, it lets the ones still in the package have room to expand, while the ones I removed can do the same.

iatec779 said:
Side note, I work at a place that uses high level explosives to manufacture munitions. I get a letter from the ATF every year stating why I may have residue on my person setting off the TSA scanner.
I bought TSA precheck this year so see if that helps get through faster. Anyway, diapers are the last thing they probably be worrying about when I step in a scan machine lol.
Are *you* the reason for that "bomb" scare on that flight from Panama?!?!
Just joking, of course, but it came to mind.

I think they worry about diapers because it seems like such an innocent and innocuous item, and therefore something smugglers would use to try to conceal contraband.

Reactions: iatec779
bdale said:
I am going on a ten-day cruise later this month. I am taking 14 diapers and 24 pullups. I have a large suitcase to check and a carry-on bag, if need I will check an extra bag.

Incontinence and traveling is challenging but my wife likes having the extra room in the luggage on the return trip for all the stuff she buys.
If necessary, the extra bag could even be used exclusively for dirty clothes on the return trip.

After reading some of the ideas, I checked southwest and they actually let you check 2 bags for free! So, I’m just going to check a duffle bag with only incontinence supplies along with my big suitcase. I printed the incontinence disability card as well just in case it were to come in handy.
Should be good to go other than the armload of bags lol.

AttilaThePun said:
Are *you* the reason for that "bomb" scare on that flight from Panama?!?!
Just joking, of course, but it came to mind.

I think they worry about diapers because it seems like such an innocent and innocuous item, and therefore something smugglers would use to try to conceal contraband.
Haha, it’s strange to think about but even though I don’t work on a production line, those machines can detect the smallest amount of material residue like picked up just from in the air etc. and left on a jacket, shoes etc. from walking through an area and it doesn’t take much. It’s kinda a big thing here, if you ever fly for work or not get an updated ATF letter stating your good or your gonna be held up for a while no not fly at all.

iatec779 said:
Next month wife and I are going to Mexico for 7 nights. We’ll be away from home 9 nights total. I use about 2 pull-ups during the day if not far from restrooms etc. and at least 1 overnight diaper. If we’re traveling all day, I will wear a diaper or 2 instead of a pullup all day.
Anyway, they take up a lot of space!! I guess the only option is to jam 30 or more diapers in my checked luggage but that’s most of my suitcase lol.

Anyone have any good travel tips to fly with a bunch of diapers along with clothes etc?
I will have a carry on with a few in there as well and my cpap machine.

Seems it’s another country, shipping to resort ahead of time may be a real pain.

Going home wont be a problem after I’ve used them up all week.

Thanks!!
never be afraid to travel we travel a lot and this can be fairly easy with planning. first notify your airline of your incontinence special medical needs. majority of airline should allow you to check an extra bag with your medical supplies (diapers) at no cost due to American with Disabilities Act. talk to the airline line up front see what they offer. You may have issues with budget airlines, however do your research and don't be afraid to speak with a suprisvor with more knowledge. small note do not place diaper powder in carry on that will get flagged by TSA. another option check with the hotel or resort you are staying at to see if you can have your diapers dropped shipped directly to the hotel/resort. If you worry about privacy you don't have to tell them it is diapers, however i have found being honest is best. no one will care that you wear diapers just be friendly and respectful. You will not find quality diapers in Mexico at the standard Pharmacies (which are everywhere) maybe in a large city with a medical supply place. If this is your first time in Mexico which is an amazing place to vacation restrooms / bano can be rustic compared to the US, so you may wear a diaper more than expected therefore pack extra. many toilets do not have toilet seats and check signage in the restroom because in many you don't flush the toilet paper for you will clog the toilet. there are trash cans for the toilet paper. in your hotel/resort your bathroom/bano will be just like home so not worries there. there is so much amazing stuff to do in Mexico and see especial if you are staying along the coast. we prepare the Caribbean side. Letting your hotel/resort know about your special needs will help as well. if you are staying in the Yucatan peninsula check out a cenote (underground river cave) extremely cool. We just got back from Playa del Carmen spend 2023 Christmas and New Years in Mexico. have fun

Reactions: newt, iatec779 and AttilaThePun
Joeysms said:
never be afraid to travel we travel a lot and this can be fairly easy with planning. first notify your airline of your incontinence special medical needs. majority of airline should allow you to check an extra bag with your medical supplies (diapers) at no cost due to American with Disabilities Act. talk to the airline line up front see what they offer. You may have issues with budget airlines, however do your research and don't be afraid to speak with a suprisvor with more knowledge. small note do not place diaper powder in carry on that will get flagged by TSA. another option check with the hotel or resort you are staying at to see if you can have your diapers dropped shipped directly to the hotel/resort. If you worry about privacy you don't have to tell them it is diapers, however i have found being honest is best. no one will care that you wear diapers just be friendly and respectful. You will not find quality diapers in Mexico at the standard Pharmacies (which are everywhere) maybe in a large city with a medical supply place. If this is your first time in Mexico which is an amazing place to vacation restrooms / bano can be rustic compared to the US, so you may wear a diaper more than expected therefore pack extra. many toilets do not have toilet seats and check signage in the restroom because in many you don't flush the toilet paper for you will clog the toilet. there are trash cans for the toilet paper. in your hotel/resort your bathroom/bano will be just like home so not worries there. there is so much amazing stuff to do in Mexico and see especial if you are staying along the coast. we prepare the Caribbean side. Letting your hotel/resort know about your special needs will help as well. if you are staying in the Yucatan peninsula check out a cenote (underground river cave) extremely cool. We just got back from Playa del Carmen spend 2023 Christmas and New Years in Mexico. have fun
Thanks for all the info and good to know someone else has recently done it!
Flying southwest and after checking, I can have 2 checked bags for free so I’m just going to pack a duffel bag full and check it. Keep a few in carry on of course.
Staying on island isla mujeres so just north of playa carmen

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun and Joeysms
Cannot agree more with @Joeysms on the advice. The Yucatan is stunningly beautiful and there are a LOT of things to do and see from Isla Mujeres all the way down to Tulum. Like Joey said, do not miss the cenotes, they are wildly beautiful. A day trip to the Mayan ruins and pyramids are absolutely worth it.

Mexico is my favorite place on earth. It has the best food, best beer, and best beaches (though the last one is debatable). I've been regularly going to Cancun since moving to Miami since flights are usually around $200/250 round trip. Cheaper to fly there than to my family in the west coast. Its the first trip I went with my fiancée and where I proposed to her. Cancun is perfect for a mix of relaxing on a beautiful beach and great day trips.

I definitely prefer the Pacific side of Mexico though. Baja California is paradise on earth for me, though everyone who knows me knows I love the desert and beaches, and wouldn't you know it, thats what Baja California is. Simply cannot beat a fresh Baja style fish taco in one hand, an ice-cold Pacifico in the other, with the rocky, cactus filled hills behind you and the beach in front of you.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Joeysms and iatec779
floppyfoppsie said:
Some people SAY that you can vacuum seal
For your Carry On, it isn't a bad idea to bring 6-8 Diapers, vacuum sealed inside individual 2 packs.

WHY? Keeping EIGHT sealed diapers all together as a GIANT BRICK isn't practical, and once you break the seal...the overall condition of the diapers starts to deteriorate from shifting contents and movement.

By sealing up into FOUR total SEALED bags of TWO diapers, you can evenly spread out the diapers into different pockets of your carry on.

However, for your Checked Bags, it's best to pack a Factory Sealed Bag of Unopened Diapers. You could seal those diapers as well I suppose, but I've never done that.
PoofyDiapeeBunny said:
Is it possible you could bring two suitcases? One for your clothes and other stuff and one for just your diapers and diapering supplies?
I would still recommend bringing some diapers in your carry on.

But If you had a small checked bag with only diapers and medical supplies, it might be possible to check that bag for free.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and iatec779
I've been to Mexico about 12 times. Here's what I'd suggest.

First, you need to estimate how many diapers you'll need through the week. The last time I went to a tourist destination on the Atlantic/Gulf side, I stayed for about a week and a half which meant I needed to bring about 24-28 diapers. Wound up bringing three bags of Northshore Megamax diapers. Plus changing supplies and etc. That quantity wouldn't fit in any normal bag, so I brought a big suitcase with diapers and the rest of the things I'd need while on vacation, including sun tan lotion, swimming trunks, etc. I also brought non-transparent small trash bags for disposal purposes.

Second, you need to determine whether there are applicable baggage limits. On the same trip I mentioned above, there were baggage limits imposed by the airline. The limits were two bags per person. I had a big suitcase to put all three bags of the diapers in (as well as everything else). I mention this because it's entirely possible someone might need more than one suitcase for their non-diaper stuff. You need to be able to fit diapers and non-diaper stuff in a number of bags that is below any applicable baggage limit. If there are no such limits, however, you're in good shape.

Third, you need to compare options. Here are the options: bringing in a suitcase vs. shipping to the hotel/resort. There are a few factors to consider. Here are a few of the factors: (a) costs, (b) hassle/convenience and (c) availability.

With respect to costs, you need to think about how much money you're going to have to pay to get diapers and supplies to the resort in a suitcase. And you'll need to compare that amount with how much it would cost to get them shipped (probably internationally) from a supplier to your chosen resort or vacation destination. The costs to bring in a suitcase may or may not involve excess checked bag fees. For example, if you're flying first or business class, you'll probably have two free checked bags. If not, you'll need to figure out the price of an additional checked bag. The costs to get diapers shipped to your destination may or may not involve import duties. For example, some medical supplies may be subject to an import duty (or other tariff) when bringing them into Mexico from the United States.

With respect to hassle and convenience, you need to think about how much of a pain it's going to be to get your diapers from where you're coming from to where you're going to. Recall you've got two options. The first option is a suitcase. The second option is to have them shipped.

If you're bringing them in a suitcase, that means you're going to have to get the diapers from where you live to the airport. Make sure your means of transportation have enough cargo space for you, your partner and all luggage you're traveling with.

Then, once at the airport/while connecting, you'll have to check them in a checked bag, the checked bag will have to clear customs. Getting diapers into Mexico through customs isn't usually a problem. You may want to declare them. I have declared mine in the past. But I'll admit there have been times I've forgotten to declare them. It's usually fine one way or another. Fill out the form before you get off the plane. From the plane, you will have to collect your bags before you may pass through customs. Make sure you are physically capable of moving all of your bags on your own. You really won't get a lot of help from the airport, in my experience. When you get to customs, you'll need to put the bags on a conveyor to pass them through a big scanner. I have never had trouble with customs in Mexico. They have always been very professional and friendly. Airport in Cancun, for example, is great. Same in most other destinations I've been to. That said I also speak fluent spanish so I have no issue communicating with them. Most speak english, but they like it when you speak spanish.

Tangentially . . . . . . one quick note. Mexico is a lot easier to get into than most other places in the world. There are countries, like Belgium or pretty much anywhere in the European Union, where you will absolutely have to declare any diapers you bring in. Declare them as medical supplies. Make sure that when you declare them, you correctly state their value. The last thing you want to be dealing with while traveling is some officious border agent. Australia and New Zealand are the absolute worst for this. Be prepared to explain a medical diagnosis of incontinence when you arrive, because the border agents in both of those places very well may give you some grief. They won't assume you're brining them in b/c of a fetish. But they will scan them for narcotics. Mexico doesn't give people such a hassle. It's a much more friendly and inviting country in my opinion.

Finally, you'll have to pick the checked bag up once you land. After you land, you'll have to get the bag into the back of a shuttle or other modality of transportation to get to wherever you're staying. If you're staying at a resort, you will probably want to take the resort's shuttle from the airport to the resort. Shuttles typically also have baggage limits. Make sure your shuttle can accommodate the baggage you're thinking about bringing. They usually can, but it's worth checking to be sure in advance. Note that if you're bringing a larger bag, you might want to give them a heads up anyway. Just because the airport allowed it, the shuttle might not. However, I've found that regardless of the situation, $20 USD in cash to the driver typically is enough to solve whatever hesitation they might have. On the other hand, if you're staying at a condo, that means in the back of a cab or an uber. In my experience, most cabs/ubers in Mexico do not have a lot of room for giant american suitcases. So, if you're traveling with a partner (as I typically am) that means you've got to account for the fact that the bags will need to fit into a vehicle with about as much room as a small sedan or crossover. They can hold a total of two passengers and three to four suitcases, plus two additional carry-on size items, in my experience. And no more.

Another tangential thought . . . . . about lost bags. I've never had a bag lost going into Mexico. But I've had bags lost in other places. Think about what you'd do in the unlikely event your bag was lost on the way. Would you be able to get by? Would you be able to change?

On the other hand, if you're not brining diapers in a suitcase, you're going to have to pay for international shipping and potentially import duties. FedEx and DHL are the most reliable options in my experience, if you're going to Mexico. If you're going anywhere in Europe, go with DHL. Do not use UPS or the United States Postal Service. Get tracking and coordinate the delivery with your hotel. The hotel concierge should be your point person, for this task. Explain that you are having medical supplies shipped, for your ** personal use only ** during your stay. That usually prevents any difficult questions you'd probably prefer to avoid answering. I've stayed at the Hyatt, Hilton and JW Marriott resorts. They were all very accommodating. The JW Marriott was the best. By far. The Hilton resorts have been a bit more disorganized. Just confirm that your "medical supplies" have arrived, once they actually get there. Again, do this by contacting the hotel concierge. This is usually the easiest and most convenient.

Here's a pro tip, though: there are some resorts that get really bitchy about guest packages, or so I've heard. You're more likely to have trouble with an all-inclusive that is NOT a major brand like Hilton, Hyatt or Marriott, than you ever would with a major brand (like those I just listed). There was one particular all-inclusive I stayed at in Cancun which I will never stay at again for this purpose. I don't even know if they're still around. It was years ago.

And with respect to availability, keep in mind that there is essentially nowhere in Mexico to buy diapers of the type you'll be wanting to bring in. Decent incontinence supplies just do not exist in Mexican pharmacies and you probably can't even find them at big-box stores, even if there is one near wherever you're going. Mexico City is the only place you will find such availability. So do not make the mistake of assuming you can just "buy them when you get there." Because you can't. Frankly . . . you probably already know this but it's a point worth emphasizing. If you don't bring them in, you won't have them while you're there. However, with that in mind, most of the other things you'd need, like suntan lotion (for example) could be purchased on or off resort. But it's really expensive to do so, unless you're in a location that is less touristy than where you'll probably be staying. You should assume you will pay 2-3 times more for suntan lotion on the resort than if you brought that in too. If you speak spanish, getting stuff off-resort is pretty easy in most areas. But if you don't, you might have a hard time finding what you need. A lot of people speak English, but realize you're in Mexico and English is not the national language there.

One final point that is unrelated to the above.

If this is your first time in Mexico, here are a few general travel pointers:

1. Avoid the vacation property sales people when you arrive at the airport. When you arrive at any of Mexico's airports in major tourist areas, you're going to have a bunch of people trying to sell you timeshares. They will be very friendly. Most will offer you tequila or some other form of alcohol when you arrive. The tequila is usually very good. Mescal is also usually an option. But do not be fooled by their sales pitches. You should not buy a timeshare. If you want to buy vacation property in Mexico, don't get it from anyone who is offering anything at the airports.

2. Contact your cell carrier (e.g., AT&T, Verizon, T Mobile, etc.) before you go to Mexico and get a temporary international plan. You may need to upgrade your smartphone. Do not assume your smartphone will work in Mexico, just because it works in the United States. It may or may not. And if it does, the roaming charges and data charges can get very expensive if you don't tell your carrier to change your plan temporarily for the purposes of your travel.

3. Tell your credit card companies you're traveling before you travel. Some companies will automatically figure it out. For example, Visa and American Express both tend to understand that when you buy a plane ticket to Mexico that you will be traveling to Mexico. But you should confirm your travel dates with them just the same so that you will NOT run the risk of having your cards frozen when you get there.

4. Get cash in USD and pesos from your local bank in the United States before you travel. Usually you have to order it, with about a week or so of lead time. The exchange rates you will get from your bank will be FAR FAR BETTER than anything in the airports or at a money changer in a tourist destination.

I usually have about $500.00 USD in cash in $20.00 USD bills. If you get into trouble or need something from someone, a $20.00 USD bill (or two or three) can usually get you whatever you need or wherever you need to go. Although I STRONGLY advise you to avoid going off-resort and DO NOT travel on Mexican highways, if you get stopped at a "checkpoint" your life will be easier if you pay whoever is operating it. Five $20.00 USD bills usually does the trick.

I also usually bring the equivalent of $500.00 USD - $1,000.00 USD in Mexican Pesos. That should be about 8,500.00 MX - 17,000 MX. Get at least 3k pesos in 200 peso bills. A 200 peso bill is about $12.00 USD. I always tip the maids/staff about 200.00 MX per day. That ensures your minibar gets restocked and that your diapers will be taken away daily without incident.

So . . . . that covers it. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I love Mexico. I could live there. I probably will retire there.

Let me know if you have any questions, too. Even if it's just about resorts, logistics, or something unrelated. Doesn't have to be about diapers.

• Love
Reactions: diapeybabybrian, AttilaThePun, iatec779 and 2 others
Just take a few and buy more when there?

• Thinking
newt said:
I definitely prefer the Pacific side of Mexico though. Baja California is paradise on earth for me, though everyone who knows me knows I love the desert and beaches, and wouldn't you know it, thats what Baja California is. Simply cannot beat a fresh Baja style fish taco in one hand, an ice-cold Pacifico in the other, with the rocky, cactus filled hills behind you and the beach in front of you.

I agree. Atlantic side is nice. But the Pacific side is the best.

I'll probably retire in Puerto Vallarta.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Joeysms and newt
AComputerGuy said:

Decent adult diapers are simply not available in Mexico, unless you're in Mexico City.

If you're banking on buying while there, you'll almost certainly do without for the entire time you're in Mexico.

And if you're actually incontinent or if you wet the bed, that's not a good option.

Reactions: AComputerGuy, AttilaThePun and Joeysms
arctic said:
I agree. Atlantic side is nice. But the Pacific side is the best.

I'll probably retire in Puerto Vallarta.
I love Puerto Vallarta. I could definitely retire there. But I'd definitely prefer somewhere in Baja. Cabo used to be even cooler before it exploded into being more touristy, back when I went growing up in the mid 90s to early 2000s when my grandparents had a timeshare. We used to rent jeeps and drive up and down Baja. Absolutely fell in love with it.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Joeysms
arctic said:
I've been to Mexico about 12 times. Here's what I'd suggest.

First, you need to estimate how many diapers you'll need through the week. The last time I went to a tourist destination on the Atlantic/Gulf side, I stayed for about a week and a half which meant I needed to bring about 24-28 diapers. Wound up bringing three bags of Northshore Megamax diapers. Plus changing supplies and etc. That quantity wouldn't fit in any normal bag, so I brought a big suitcase with diapers and the rest of the things I'd need while on vacation, including sun tan lotion, swimming trunks, etc. I also brought non-transparent small trash bags for disposal purposes.

Second, you need to determine whether there are applicable baggage limits. On the same trip I mentioned above, there were baggage limits imposed by the airline. The limits were two bags per person. I had a big suitcase to put all three bags of the diapers in (as well as everything else). I mention this because it's entirely possible someone might need more than one suitcase for their non-diaper stuff. You need to be able to fit diapers and non-diaper stuff in a number of bags that is below any applicable baggage limit. If there are no such limits, however, you're in good shape.

Third, you need to compare options. Here are the options: bringing in a suitcase vs. shipping to the hotel/resort. There are a few factors to consider. Here are a few of the factors: (a) costs, (b) hassle/convenience and (c) availability.

With respect to costs, you need to think about how much money you're going to have to pay to get diapers and supplies to the resort in a suitcase. And you'll need to compare that amount with how much it would cost to get them shipped (probably internationally) from a supplier to your chosen resort or vacation destination. The costs to bring in a suitcase may or may not involve excess checked bag fees. For example, if you're flying first or business class, you'll probably have two free checked bags. If not, you'll need to figure out the price of an additional checked bag. The costs to get diapers shipped to your destination may or may not involve import duties. For example, some medical supplies may be subject to an import duty (or other tariff) when bringing them into Mexico from the United States.

With respect to hassle and convenience, you need to think about how much of a pain it's going to be to get your diapers from where you're coming from to where you're going to. Recall you've got two options. The first option is a suitcase. The second option is to have them shipped.

If you're bringing them in a suitcase, that means you're going to have to get the diapers from where you live to the airport. Make sure your means of transportation have enough cargo space for you, your partner and all luggage you're traveling with.

Then, once at the airport/while connecting, you'll have to check them in a checked bag, the checked bag will have to clear customs. Getting diapers into Mexico through customs isn't usually a problem. You may want to declare them. I have declared mine in the past. But I'll admit there have been times I've forgotten to declare them. It's usually fine one way or another. Fill out the form before you get off the plane. From the plane, you will have to collect your bags before you may pass through customs. Make sure you are physically capable of moving all of your bags on your own. You really won't get a lot of help from the airport, in my experience. When you get to customs, you'll need to put the bags on a conveyor to pass them through a big scanner. I have never had trouble with customs in Mexico. They have always been very professional and friendly. Airport in Cancun, for example, is great. Same in most other destinations I've been to. That said I also speak fluent spanish so I have no issue communicating with them. Most speak english, but they like it when you speak spanish.

Tangentially . . . . . . one quick note. Mexico is a lot easier to get into than most other places in the world. There are countries, like Belgium or pretty much anywhere in the European Union, where you will absolutely have to declare any diapers you bring in. Declare them as medical supplies. Make sure that when you declare them, you correctly state their value. The last thing you want to be dealing with while traveling is some officious border agent. Australia and New Zealand are the absolute worst for this. Be prepared to explain a medical diagnosis of incontinence when you arrive, because the border agents in both of those places very well may give you some grief. They won't assume you're brining them in b/c of a fetish. But they will scan them for narcotics. Mexico doesn't give people such a hassle. It's a much more friendly and inviting country in my opinion.

Finally, you'll have to pick the checked bag up once you land. After you land, you'll have to get the bag into the back of a shuttle or other modality of transportation to get to wherever you're staying. If you're staying at a resort, you will probably want to take the resort's shuttle from the airport to the resort. Shuttles typically also have baggage limits. Make sure your shuttle can accommodate the baggage you're thinking about bringing. They usually can, but it's worth checking to be sure in advance. Note that if you're bringing a larger bag, you might want to give them a heads up anyway. Just because the airport allowed it, the shuttle might not. However, I've found that regardless of the situation, $20 USD in cash to the driver typically is enough to solve whatever hesitation they might have. On the other hand, if you're staying at a condo, that means in the back of a cab or an uber. In my experience, most cabs/ubers in Mexico do not have a lot of room for giant american suitcases. So, if you're traveling with a partner (as I typically am) that means you've got to account for the fact that the bags will need to fit into a vehicle with about as much room as a small sedan or crossover. They can hold a total of two passengers and three to four suitcases, plus two additional carry-on size items, in my experience. And no more.

Another tangential thought . . . . . about lost bags. I've never had a bag lost going into Mexico. But I've had bags lost in other places. Think about what you'd do in the unlikely event your bag was lost on the way. Would you be able to get by? Would you be able to change?

On the other hand, if you're not brining diapers in a suitcase, you're going to have to pay for international shipping and potentially import duties. FedEx and DHL are the most reliable options in my experience, if you're going to Mexico. If you're going anywhere in Europe, go with DHL. Do not use UPS or the United States Postal Service. Get tracking and coordinate the delivery with your hotel. The hotel concierge should be your point person, for this task. Explain that you are having medical supplies shipped, for your ** personal use only ** during your stay. That usually prevents any difficult questions you'd probably prefer to avoid answering. I've stayed at the Hyatt, Hilton and JW Marriott resorts. They were all very accommodating. The JW Marriott was the best. By far. The Hilton resorts have been a bit more disorganized. Just confirm that your "medical supplies" have arrived, once they actually get there. Again, do this by contacting the hotel concierge. This is usually the easiest and most convenient.

Here's a pro tip, though: there are some resorts that get really bitchy about guest packages, or so I've heard. You're more likely to have trouble with an all-inclusive that is NOT a major brand like Hilton, Hyatt or Marriott, than you ever would with a major brand (like those I just listed). There was one particular all-inclusive I stayed at in Cancun which I will never stay at again for this purpose. I don't even know if they're still around. It was years ago.

And with respect to availability, keep in mind that there is essentially nowhere in Mexico to buy diapers of the type you'll be wanting to bring in. Decent incontinence supplies just do not exist in Mexican pharmacies and you probably can't even find them at big-box stores, even if there is one near wherever you're going. Mexico City is the only place you will find such availability. So do not make the mistake of assuming you can just "buy them when you get there." Because you can't. Frankly . . . you probably already know this but it's a point worth emphasizing. If you don't bring them in, you won't have them while you're there. However, with that in mind, most of the other things you'd need, like suntan lotion (for example) could be purchased on or off resort. But it's really expensive to do so, unless you're in a location that is less touristy than where you'll probably be staying. You should assume you will pay 2-3 times more for suntan lotion on the resort than if you brought that in too. If you speak spanish, getting stuff off-resort is pretty easy in most areas. But if you don't, you might have a hard time finding what you need. A lot of people speak English, but realize you're in Mexico and English is not the national language there.

One final point that is unrelated to the above.

If this is your first time in Mexico, here are a few general travel pointers:

1. Avoid the vacation property sales people when you arrive at the airport. When you arrive at any of Mexico's airports in major tourist areas, you're going to have a bunch of people trying to sell you timeshares. They will be very friendly. Most will offer you tequila or some other form of alcohol when you arrive. The tequila is usually very good. Mescal is also usually an option. But do not be fooled by their sales pitches. You should not buy a timeshare. If you want to buy vacation property in Mexico, don't get it from anyone who is offering anything at the airports.

2. Contact your cell carrier (e.g., AT&T, Verizon, T Mobile, etc.) before you go to Mexico and get a temporary international plan. You may need to upgrade your smartphone. Do not assume your smartphone will work in Mexico, just because it works in the United States. It may or may not. And if it does, the roaming charges and data charges can get very expensive if you don't tell your carrier to change your plan temporarily for the purposes of your travel.

3. Tell your credit card companies you're traveling before you travel. Some companies will automatically figure it out. For example, Visa and American Express both tend to understand that when you buy a plane ticket to Mexico that you will be traveling to Mexico. But you should confirm your travel dates with them just the same so that you will NOT run the risk of having your cards frozen when you get there.

4. Get cash in USD and pesos from your local bank in the United States before you travel. Usually you have to order it, with about a week or so of lead time. The exchange rates you will get from your bank will be FAR FAR BETTER than anything in the airports or at a money changer in a tourist destination.

I usually have about $500.00 USD in cash in $20.00 USD bills. If you get into trouble or need something from someone, a $20.00 USD bill (or two or three) can usually get you whatever you need or wherever you need to go. Although I STRONGLY advise you to avoid going off-resort and DO NOT travel on Mexican highways, if you get stopped at a "checkpoint" your life will be easier if you pay whoever is operating it. Five $20.00 USD bills usually does the trick.

I also usually bring the equivalent of $500.00 USD - $1,000.00 USD in Mexican Pesos. That should be about 8,500.00 MX - 17,000 MX. Get at least 3k pesos in 200 peso bills. A 200 peso bill is about $12.00 USD. I always tip the maids/staff about 200.00 MX per day. That ensures your minibar gets restocked and that your diapers will be taken away daily without incident.

So . . . . that covers it. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I love Mexico. I could live there. I probably will retire there.

Let me know if you have any questions, too. Even if it's just about resorts, logistics, or something unrelated. Doesn't have to be about diapers.
Dang it’s if good info here!

Reactions: arctic and AttilaThePun
newt said:
Cannot agree more with @Joeysms on the advice. The Yucatan is stunningly beautiful and there are a LOT of things to do and see from Isla Mujeres all the way down to Tulum. Like Joey said, do not miss the cenotes, they are wildly beautiful. A day trip to the Mayan ruins and pyramids are absolutely worth it.

Mexico is my favorite place on earth. It has the best food, best beer, and best beaches (though the last one is debatable). I've been regularly going to Cancun since moving to Miami since flights are usually around $200/250 round trip. Cheaper to fly there than to my family in the west coast. Its the first trip I went with my fiancée and where I proposed to her. Cancun is perfect for a mix of relaxing on a beautiful beach and great day trips.

not much experience with the Pacific but for sure need to explore that more. The Mayan ruins Tulum is a most see. Swimming with the sea turtles in turtle bay is wonderful but book a tour that goes there early morning for it gets crowded. Also try to stay away from the very touristy cenotes they get crowded the cave ones are my favorite. the beaches i agree they rank very high as beautiful. the fairy out to Cozumel is a nice adventure. we love Mexico as well for it is affordable tropical vacation/holiday and beautiful. Be careful August through October humidity can get into the 90's but that allows for more cold drinks. the Mayan train will open in 2024 and they are working on the Mayan airport.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and newt
iatec779 said:
Thanks for all the info and good to know someone else has recently done it!
Flying southwest and after checking, I can have 2 checked bags for free so I’m just going to pack a duffel bag full and check it. Keep a few in carry on of course.
Staying on island isla mujeres so just north of playa carmen
nice area to stay. go with the $25 early bird check in with Southwest it is worth. look for the wind seats at the exits there is extra leg rest and two of those seats do not have a seat directly in front of them. if you skip the early bird check in when you get to your gate asks the deck agent what the fee would be to upgrade to the A 1-15 boarding status can be $15-$35 but also worth it being one of the first on the plane. allow extra time in the airport so you are not rushing. one thing in Mexico after you get your luggage security randomly stop passage ask questions and at times will take you aside and have you open your luggage to look through it. it is no big deal. most will just ask some questions. i am one who they seem to stop every time (LOL). trust me all they do is look they don't empty your luggage out. dress in summer clothes if possible because it will be very warm outside. have fun it will be an amazing adventure.

Reactions: newt and AttilaThePun
AComputerGuy said:
it is hard to find diapers in the Pharmacies in Mexico. they are not very good no matter what the packaging says they are only good for very lite incontinence issues. they are thin cloth back diapers that don't fit well and stretch making them loss (not stay up). not even the Walmart will carry a decent diaper. always best to have your own.

Reactions: newt, AttilaThePun and iatec779
Back