How to travel with bunch of diapers?

iatec779

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Next month wife and I are going to Mexico for 7 nights. We’ll be away from home 9 nights total. I use about 2 pull-ups during the day if not far from restrooms etc. and at least 1 overnight diaper. If we’re traveling all day, I will wear a diaper or 2 instead of a pullup all day.
Anyway, they take up a lot of space!! I guess the only option is to jam 30 or more diapers in my checked luggage but that’s most of my suitcase lol.

Anyone have any good travel tips to fly with a bunch of diapers along with clothes etc?
I will have a carry on with a few in there as well and my cpap machine.

Seems it’s another country, shipping to resort ahead of time may be a real pain.

Going home wont be a problem after I’ve used them up all week.

Thanks!!

Reactions: Diprs2, paul484819 and AttilaThePun
Some people SAY that you can vacuum seal and if it's a seal that is for a short amount of time and you fluffy them afterwards that it will retain most of less similar absorbency. Shipping may be EXPENSIVE, but if you can spare (the time, energy and cash) please consider shipping them over. You may have to call the hotel and inform them of the delivery but they may also bring the package to your room as accommodations before you even get there.
Is it possible to check in another luggage bag specifically for them (that in the long run may be cheaper than if you ship them.)? Then if you guys pick up an souvenirs you have a bag for them too once you've used them up.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, Tine, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
floppyfoppsie said:
Some people SAY that you can vacuum seal and if it's a seal that is for a short amount of time and you fluffy them afterwards that it will retain most of less similar absorbency. Shipping may be EXPENSIVE, but if you can spare (the time, energy and cash) please consider shipping them over. You may have to call the hotel and inform them of the delivery but they may also bring the package to your room as accommodations before you even get there.
Is it possible to check in another luggage bag specifically for them (that in the long run may be cheaper than if you ship them.)? Then if you guys pick up an souvenirs you have a bag for them too once you've used them up.
I have to agree with the last statement here, the extra checked bag is the most practical option. I know they charge and arm, and a leg, and a kidney for it, but really, it is worth not having the stress, being able to bring extras, etc. And if you plan accordingly, and have the appropriate kind of suitcases, you can just stick one inside the other on the way home (duffel bags are really good for this in particular)

It's not much of a vacation if you spend it worrying about or dealing with such things, so for the mental health benefits, I would advise ponying up for the extra load capacity

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun and iatec779
If your are flying out of a US airport ,the ADA covers an extra checked bag for medical equipment so over pack a large bag with cpap and diapers .

Reactions: Diprs2, CrayonRocket, Tine and 4 others
Oh, and have a wonderful time! I'm stuck in the cold with work this winter as I have recently changed jobs, so I gotta accrue that vacation time all over again!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/THrzW2VCDIAudYecys" width="270" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

• Haha
Reactions: AttilaThePun and iatec779
floppyfoppsie said:
hey! Im curious why you said “some people SAY that you can vacuum seal”. Do you have any experience with this (negative or positive)?

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
I say it that way to emphasize that it is said that it could work, though I cannot say for certain personally that it is entirely effective or the ideal choice.

Id imagine certain types of diapers will not compress well. May it be that they do not reduce an awful lot size wise or simply dont fluff up well post-vaccum.

A family friend once compressed some when she was trying to save space when moving with her kid and had negative experiences. I'd imagine sized up, it could also pose issues similarly.

floppyfoppsie said:
I say it that way to emphasize that it is said that it could work, though I cannot say for certain personally that it is entirely effective or the ideal choice.

Id imagine certain types of diapers will not compress well. May it be that they do not reduce an awful lot size wise or simply dont fluff up well post-vaccum.

A family friend once compressed some when she was trying to save space when moving with her kid and had negative experiences. I'd imagine sized up, it could also pose issues similarly.
Gotcha - thank you for clarifying! I’m going to be traveling, similar to OP, for 2 weeks, and since I like to overpack and have more than enough backup diapers for my bedwetting, I’m trying to figure out the best way to pack all those diapers in my bag. I thought vacuum sealing may be a way but hadn’t met anyone who had any experience with it

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun, iatec779 and 1 other person
I usually bring two suitcases, one is a smaller suitcase that has a few diapers and a lot of my luggage that it I’ll need right when I arrive. The other is a checked bag with the rest of my diapers or pull-ups, and any other luggage that I have.

It’s hard and annoying to pack diapers so I research the area that I’m going to and figure out if I can buy the protection that I need when I get there. It makes traveling so much easier if I can buy at my destination.

Reactions: DLfuunseeker, Diprs2, gobphus and 5 others
I was going to say over here in Europe anyone with a disability can request medical baggage free of charge, don't know if there's something similar

Reactions: Diprs2, CrayonRocket, Pino and 2 others
There are travel details that you have not included, which may affect how you want to handle things. Traveling internationally, you MAY be able to travel with two checked cases per person at no charge. If you have a connecting flight(s) to a domestic international airport, you MAY have to pay for every case you check, depending on class of service. The following info helps, especially if you are paying for checked luggage.

Check with your airline. Most airlines allow a checked case at no charge for medical supplies (ask if incontinence supplies are included). If they do, get their exact requirements. For almost all, they require nothing but medical supplies in the case. They may open it to confirm at check-in. So include all diapers, pull-ups, diaper covers, CHUX, wipes, ointments, etc., as well as any other medical supplies you need that do not need to be hand carried. Do not check a CPAP or required medications, in the event the airline loses your checked medical case.

A few tips:
Pack 3 days worth of diapers in your carry on, in the event the airline loses your checked medical case.
Check now on how to quickly acquire alternative supplies at your destination, in the event the airline loses your checked medical case.
Feel free to take plenty of extra diapers for backup, because they are in a dedicated medical case.
Take sealed bags of diapers and pull-ups. They are fully compressed, easier to pack, and will not be pawed over if checked.
Put bags of diapers in clear or white kitchen trash bags before putting them in their case to protect them from moisture while traveling.

Consider packing supplies in a large waterproof soft case for the trip down, with a small waterproof soft case packed inside, and then packing leftover supplies in the small bag for the trip home, with the large bag packed inside.

Have fun!

Reactions: Diprs2, ryanbailey, CrayonRocket and 5 others
CheshireCat said:
There are travel details that you have not included, which may affect how you want to handle things. Traveling internationally, you MAY be able to travel with two checked cases per person at no charge. If you have a connecting flight(s) to a domestic international airport, you MAY have to pay for every case you check, depending on class of service. The following info helps, especially if you are paying for checked luggage.

Check with your airline. Most airlines allow a checked case at no charge for medical supplies (ask if incontinence supplies are included). If they do, get their exact requirements. For almost all, they require nothing but medical supplies in the case. They may open it to confirm at check-in. So include all diapers, pull-ups, diaper covers, CHUX, wipes, ointments, etc., as well as any other medical supplies you need that do not need to be hand carried. Do not check a CPAP or required medications, in the event the airline loses your checked medical case.

A few tips:
Pack 3 days worth of diapers in your carry on, in the event the airline loses your checked medical case.
Check now on how to quickly acquire alternative supplies at your destination, in the event the airline loses your checked medical case.
Feel free to take plenty of extra diapers for backup, because they are in a dedicated medical case.
Take sealed bags of diapers and pull-ups. They are fully compressed, easier to pack, and will not be pawed over if checked.
Put bags of diapers in clear or white kitchen trash bags before putting them in their case to protect them from moisture while traveling.

Consider packing supplies in a large waterproof soft case for the trip down, with a small waterproof soft case packed inside, and then packing leftover supplies in the small bag for the trip home, with the large bag packed inside.

Have fun!
Lots of great ideas here!
In my case, we have a nonstop flight on Southwest from the states to Cancun then take a ferry to a small nearby island. Southwest has at least 1 free checked bag. I can buy another if needed. I don’t think the island has a lot of resources like the mainland so I’m going to have to pack it all with me.
If can’t fit all in the 2 rolling suitcases I may just check a duffel bag with only diaper supplies in the then on way home can stuff that bag in a suitcase.
Think that’s my only option. I’m too paranoid to ship the week before and have it not arrive lol.
dang diapers just take up so much space lol. At least my XL overnight ones lol.

CheshireCat said:

A few tips:

Have fun!
Can confirm....every time I have traveled to Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas etc. I have been able to check an extra free bag of medical supplies....and my trip to Jamaica was 14 days and I'm completely incon..and have severe IBS-d I use between 4-8 diapers a day. I used a large duffle bag and they didn't even bat an eye. They will ask what's in it and most time's simply medical supplies is all that needs said. On a few rare occasions I have been asked what medical supplies and I explain I'm incontinent and it contains everything I need to deal with that living situation. I have always simply called the airline or travel agent and inquired about it and made the proper arrangements. It is very simple. Hope this helps and have a good time 👍

Reactions: Diprs2, CrayonRocket, diapeybabybrian and 2 others
iatec779 said:
Next month wife and I are going to Mexico for 7 nights. We’ll be away from home 9 nights total. I use about 2 pull-ups during the day if not far from restrooms etc. and at least 1 overnight diaper. If we’re traveling all day, I will wear a diaper or 2 instead of a pullup all day.
Anyway, they take up a lot of space!! I guess the only option is to jam 30 or more diapers in my checked luggage but that’s most of my suitcase lol.

Anyone have any good travel tips to fly with a bunch of diapers along with clothes etc?
I will have a carry on with a few in there as well and my cpap machine.

Seems it’s another country, shipping to resort ahead of time may be a real pain.

Going home wont be a problem after I’ve used them up all week.

Thanks!!
I went on an 8 day cruise, total 10 days, back in august. What I learned is, TSA Pre Check was awesome, Fill out a disability card you can get from tsa site. I just put Incontinence. I flew Delta, the extra checked bag was free because incontinence supplies are considered medical items. Just be sure that suitcase is all medical supplies, diapers, wipes, disposal bags, powders, creams, etc and you should be fine. If they ask what medical supplies, which the person behind the counter did the first time, I simply showed them my card I filled out. I packed way more than I needed to be safe.

Hope this helped.

Joey

Attachments

• 20240102_123955.jpg
    20240102_123955.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: Diprs2, WetWallaby, hanzertas and 4 others
Talk to your airline about medical equipment. They might have allowances for certain items. Be open and up front & honest with them. They might get you a deal or waiver on the extra luggage fee
remember it might be looked into so don't pack anything except IC supplies

I tried the vacuum seal idea before I went to Italy for 10 days. They didn't really shrink all that much, maybe room stacked for an extra diaper or two. And it somehow made it feel twice as heavy. Another main problem was I either needed A LOT of smaller vacuum bags or have to reseal a bigger one every time I needed a new one. So I didn't use that method.

But for my trip to the west coast for Christmas, which was about 8 days, I bought a new Amazon basics 28-inch luggage that fit A LOT of diapers (both Megamaxes and Megamax Lites) while giving me plenty of room for my clothes. And that was with more cold-weather clothes than you would ever need in Cancun. It might be enough for you.

If not I agree with the others to pack them all in their own bag as medical equipment that can be folded back into the suitcase after.

I am going on a ten-day cruise later this month. I am taking 14 diapers and 24 pullups. I have a large suitcase to check and a carry-on bag, if need I will check an extra bag.

Incontinence and traveling is challenging but my wife likes having the extra room in the luggage on the return trip for all the stuff she buys.

DiaperedJoey said:
I went on an 8 day cruise, total 10 days, back in august. What I learned is, TSA Pre Check was awesome, Fill out a disability card you can get from tsa site. I just put Incontinence. I flew Delta, the extra checked bag was free because incontinence supplies are considered medical items. Just be sure that suitcase is all medical supplies, diapers, wipes, disposal bags, powders, creams, etc and you should be fine. If they ask what medical supplies, which the person behind the counter did the first time, I simply showed them my card I filled out. I packed way more than I needed to be safe.

Hope this helped.

Joey
Thanks! We have TSA precheck already, I’ll look into that card and do the duffle bag thing!

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Raven801 said:
Can confirm....every time I have traveled to Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas etc. I have been able to check an extra free bag of medical supplies....and my trip to Jamaica was 14 days and I'm completely incon..and have severe IBS-d I use between 4-8 diapers a day. I used a large duffle bag and they didn't even bat an eye. They will ask what's in it and most time's simply medical supplies is all that needs said. On a few rare occasions I have been asked what medical supplies and I explain I'm incontinent and it contains everything I need to deal with that living situation. I have always simply called the airline or travel agent and inquired about it and made the proper arrangements. It is very simple. Hope this helps and have a good time 👍
Thanks I’m defiantly going to look into the duffle bag thing for med supplies asap.
Personally, I don’t care if they look in it or ask why. I won’t know any of them and my wife sees me in a diaper every day.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Raven801
Side note, I work at a place that uses high level explosives to manufacture munitions. I get a letter from the ATF every year stating why I may have residue on my person setting off the TSA scanner.
I bought TSA precheck this year so see if that helps get through faster. Anyway, diapers are the last thing they probably be worrying about when I step in a scan machine lol.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Back