Do you wish you were of a different generation?

these are the phones we had and we always had a dime to call home

Attachments

• images (7).jpeg
    images (7).jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4
  • $_1.jpeg
    $_1.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Love
Reactions: Jorelaxed, BobbiSueEllen and Diaperman95
Kirisin said:
Our public phone booths (in Australia) had an 'A' button (so you could press it to Answer {speak to} the person you dialed up) or a 'B' button to press, if no one picked up at the other end, so you could get your money back and not have it taken by the phone mechanism.
The coin for a local call was a sixpence (which became five cents in 1966), any long distance (or overseas) calls, had to be done via the operator (a real human).
The first house phone to be ever installed into my childhood home, did not happen until 1979.

Reactions: KCA, Kirisin and BobbiSueEllen
I do not necessarily wish I was born in a different generation but I would love to live in a different one. I honestly feel the internet has ruined the world in so many ways. It is very hard to explain to someone that did not grow up with out it. I graduated in 94 and the internet was around but it was nothing like today. I just miss simpler times everyone use to engage with each other and you could say hello to people at walmart you did not know and they was just as friendly. Now everyone looks at you like you are out to get them just to try and talk to them. They are all to interested with their screens to really enjoy people around them. I am guilty too I guess to some degree but I am very much a people person. I open doors for elders and women I try to have manors and respect others around me. Most people are not like this they are out for themselves. I also just feel like the internet has made us dumber. Like I use to know every ones phone number now I can hardly remember my own. I worked in a fabrication shop for years we had to know some basic geometry and math skills. Now people are just like ask google or use a app you do not have to know how to do it.. I am very well aware of positive things from it too but I just do not think they out weigh the negatives. I will not even open the can of worms AI brings to the table. When I was a kid we built forts out of old milk cases and plywood and made treehouses and we had imagination. I miss seeing that in the world. I wish I could relive the 90's to some part although I feel that is where a lot of things really went wrong to put us on the path we now have. Like parents not spanking or even punishing their kids. It all started in my generation. We had some tech in the 90's but we also had to interact with each other one on one. Face book has destroyed family reunions and class reunions because we say a few words a week to each other we never go visit each other.

Then call me what you want but I think the last 10 years the world has lost their freaking minds. I do not agree with 3/4 of the things that are considered normal in todays world. Sorry but I have a old sole and I probable view things even as someone 10 -15 years older than me. Even most all my friends are 10 to 15 years older than my wife and I. We just have always enjoyed being around more mature people when we was young. But I do not really wish I was born years sooner and I am certainly happy that I am not going into the world today in my 20's. 😨 I also know this.... I grew up during the cold war. I remember doing drills in grade school going into bomb shelters. But to this day I have never felt so scared for my country from foreign war or domestic. I am honest to God scare I am going to live to see our country collapse if things do not change. I hope I do not get deleted for some confusing my personal feelings with politics. But I am scared for my self my daughter and certainly for new grandbaby we was blessed with in January this year.

• Love
Reactions: ShyBoo81, LilPaddedBunny and Happy2BeInNappies2
ShippoFox said:
Sometimes I wish I were from the future, but that could be worse, I don't know what the world will be like, so I don't know.

Probably a desolate radioactive wasteland at this rate 😂

Kirisin said:
OMG I love the way Chris Rock described those old dial phones on lethal weapon 4...🤣🤣🤣🤣

Incase you forgot or for those who have never seen the movie the clip below... To funny

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy, Kirisin, Anemone and 1 other person
I don't wish to be born in a different generation. I can't really say I would thrive in a different past.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Kirisin and Diaperman95
Edgewater said:
No, I am really old and have lived a full and happy life. Add 20 more years to my projected life and no, not without a whole bunch of qualifiers!
You will live more than 20 years!

Reactions: Edgewater
Jorelaxed said:
You will live more than 20 years!
Thank you for your kind comment, but that would place me at 115 years old, which is 20 years beyond my personal goal. I understand the rapid advancement of medical science and the new drugs coming. But, I am currently older than near all my male family members. Statics are a cold reality as is genetics. It is not an issue of psychology, but medical reality.

Reactions: Diaperman95 and Jorelaxed
Edgewater said:
Thank you for your kind comment, but that would place me at 115 years old, which is 20 years beyond my personal goal. I understand the rapid advancement of medical science and the new drugs coming. But, I am currently older than near all my male family members. Statics are a cold reality as is genetics. It is not an issue of psychology, but medical reality.
Well I think it is delight you are here with us. You have seen a lot of things change in your life for sure. I have the up most respect for your generation. You guys new hard work and the value of a dollar. My health like it is I some times wonder if I even have 10 years left. If I made it to 95 It would be a miracle. If my math is right that puts you born around 1928. Man I am kind of Jealous of all the cars you have seen and driven. I guess you was a few years to young to be able to serve in WW2 but I bet you was old enough to remember those days. You have lived a good full life and you have seen the world change in so many ways from indoor plumbing to tv to color tv to the home phone all the way up to today.

In your life what has changed the most that you never thought you would see in your life? You are welcome to PM me the answer or ignore the question all together.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
I always like the Mid 70s was really neat !
Mostly the women clothing along with muscle cars !

Reactions: Kirisin, dogboy and Diaperman95
I was born at the end of the 1940s!. No internet/computers, the pocket calculator was brand new and we were not allowed to use them at school. We had a phone which was rare but we did not have a television (black & white, 3 channels only) until I was 10. It made me perfectly happy to out on my bicycle to our local park when I was 6 and cycle around all day Or play in the bomb sights that were all around London. The only instruction from other was ‘don’t talk to strange men’ and ‘come home when you are hungry’. It was a good time to be alive. We are all put on this earth at our allotted time, you just have to make the most of it. (We also had the best music … the Beatles were at their best!!!)

• Love
Reactions: ShyBoo81, Brumas94, Kirisin and 4 others
I grew up in the '50s and '60s and yes, if the weather permitted, we were always playing outside. I think our parents wanted us out of their hair. The upside of that was that we were always face to face with our friends. There were no personal computers, no cell phones and best of all, no social platforms like Facebook, etc. If someone wanted to talk trash about you it had to be face to face and you could respond to that in no uncertain terms.

I lived on my bicycle and me and my friends would go everywhere. When I was 11, my friends and I rode 50 miles in one day. I had a speedometer that also had an odometer so that's how I kept track of our mileage.

Reactions: ShyBoo81, Teddy02, Kirisin and 3 others
I was born in the early 60s it was not so unsafe to be a kid I can't think of anyone wanting to harm a child.
We were watched by everyone.
My mom had a police wissle we had to be in ear shot of it. That is how she called us home. I'm very happy being born at that time.

Reactions: ShyBoo81, Diaperman95 and Kirisin
Kirisin said:
I remember how to use the first rotary phone on the left and touch tone dime and quarter public phone on the right, good memories.😊😊😊😊

Reactions: Kirisin
foxkits said:
I was born in the early 60s it was not so unsafe to be a kid I can't think of anyone wanting to harm a child.
My mom had a police wissle we had to be in ear shot of it. That is how she called us home. I'm very happy being born at that time.
Even in the 90's 20% of the pick ups in the school parking had rifles or shot guns hanging in the back glass. I mean the student parking as well as the staff. Every boy had a pocket knife from about 6th grade on. No one cared and it was not a problem. The world has just went mad. I do not feel safe going any place with out a pistol and 30 rounds of ammo on me. I carry it to the hospital to church my bank post office where ever. You just never know when a mad man (or child) is going to pull out a gun and start shooting now a days.

Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Edgewater
Diaperman95 said:
Even in the 90's 20% of the pick ups in the school parking had rifles or shot guns hanging in the back glass. I mean the student parking as well as the staff. Every boy had a pocket knife from about 6th grade on. No one cared and it was not a problem. The world has just went mad. I do not feel safe going any place with out a pistol and 30 rounds of ammo on me. I carry it to the hospital to church my bank post office where ever. You just never know when a mad man (or child) is going to pull out a gun and start shooting now a days.
What a sad comment on modern life. How has it come to this? We in the UK have never had the same gun culture that you had in the USA, for which I am very grateful. Not that there are places here that are not dangerous, every city has it’s dark corners but to read about the mass shootings that the USA has nearly every day is terrifying.

Reactions: Brumas94
I was born in 1946. I wish more had been known about neurodivergency then. It would have been nice to have Pampers, Kimbies, and Luvs instead of cloth diapers. Smartphones and the Internet opened the world to me. It would have been wonderful to have both when I was a kid. AND it would have been nice to grow up in an environment where racism, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia could be questioned openly and even resisted effectively, where a kid would be believed when she or he reported abuse from a clergyman.

BUT it was great to be fascinated by radio. In my bed with plastic mattress cover, wearing my thick night diapers and plastic pants I tuned in to programs from more than 1000 miles away. Even the TV, when we finally had one in our living room, didn't inspire as much wonder. Snowier winters meant more opportunities for snow days and sledding. My newspaper route helped me experience the pride of earning my own money. And my Lionel train set gave my father and me the best bonding opportunity we would ever have.

Each point in time brings advantages and disadvantages. Even if there was an opportunity for a do-over in another time period, it would not necessarily result in a happier life. To a great extent, our life experience is the result of how we respond to the situations we find ouselves in, not the fulfillment of our fondest wishes.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2, dogboy and Edgewater
foxkits said:
It was just as dangerous, if not more so, to be a child before abuse started to be taken seriously.

Ignorance may be bliss but it is a terrible defence.

• Thinking
Reactions: lilbabyjooce and Edgewater
Anemone said:
It was just as dangerous, if not more so, to be a child before abuse started to be taken seriously.

Ignorance may be bliss but it is a terrible defence.
Sorry fully disagree as it was not just as dangerous it was far less dangerous!
Ignorance runs ramped now a days as there is a huge willness to believe what a social media site or news group say without question.

Perfect example: 15,000 to 25,000 years ago was the beginning /middle of the end of the last ICE AGE, Our Sun has become warmer. Ocean levels World wide have risen 400 to 600 feet. And yet, one would think that it being warmer and the oceans rising is something new and that it is human caused. Breaking News; the Sun will continue to become warmer and the oceans will continue to rise.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxkits
If the future was more advanced scientifically and culturally, yea. If not, I'm staying here, thanks.

Reactions: lilbabyjooce and Edgewater
Back