Do you wish you were of a different generation?

BlankyBoyAUS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
You know I’m beginning to feel like I could’ve been a kid of the 1980s born in around 1977-79 and enjoying really neat movies like the Land Before Time, Tron and the Brave Little Toaster and some neat shows like Gummi Bears, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers and etc. And the music of the 70s and 80s seemed to sound the best in my taste especially electronic music. Though Thomas the Tank Engine had his golden age in the 80s and 90s and I remember growing up so much with the show watching his tapes and Shining Time Station ones as a late millennial.

But even so, I’m wondering if you ever wished you were of a different generation? Whether an older or a younger generation? I’m sure everyone has different feelings regarding things.

• Thinking
Reactions: ShyBoo81, Angelapinks, LittleCamo and 2 others
No, I am really old and have lived a full and happy life. Add 20 more years to my projected life and no, not without a whole bunch of qualifiers!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, warmfeeling and Diaperman95
id love to be born around 75, just due to the cars and culture, i love 80s cars, and 70s boats would be cheap, would be pretty awsome

Reactions: Edgewater and Jorelaxed
I'm definitely a young'un and I love a lot of the aspects of my generation but I find myself often getting bored with modern technology. Lots of fun to be had with old DEC and Sun and SGI computers and I would have loved to be an engineer at one of those companies or MIT or Bell Labs in their haydays. The ways many things were done back then in terms of software development, digital communication, hardware design, and more just make a lot more sense to me. Can't get too ahead of myself though because if I were in the shoes of those engineers I'd probably be obsessed with some other old antiquated technology!

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Jorelaxed and Cottontail
I was an 80s kid (born in 76), and that’s the decade I’d relive if I could.

MyBlanky93 said:
You know I’m beginning to feel like I could’ve been a kid of the 1980s

…not to gloat or anything. :)

I didn’t hate the 90s, and the 2000s were that “new millennium” honeymoon phase. The 2010s and 2020s (so far)… Well, I’d skip most of the music… certain presidencies (I’m not getting political if I don’t say which ones!)… and COVID, of course.

kadix said:
Lots of fun to be had with old DEC and Sun and SGI computers and I would have loved to be an engineer at one of those companies or MIT or Bell Labs in their haydays.

Those SGI machines, in their heyday, were otherworldly. Around 2003 I acquired my childhood dream machine: A loaded Onyx deskside with RealityEngine 2 graphics. It was already nothing to the latest GeForce, and running it for an hour brought the temperature in my tiny office up to an uncomfortable 80F. I paid $2500 for it, IIRC. Less than ten years earlier, it would’ve cost over $200,000. Talk about depreciation! I kept it for about five years and then sold it to a coworker and fellow SGI enthusiast who still has it. I don’t think I’ll venture into the SGI realm again unless I stumble upon one of those “Jurassic Classic” Crimson setups used for Jurassic Park.

Anyway. Going OT sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: craigd1341, Edgewater and initramfs
Cottontail said:
Those SGI machines, in their heyday, were otherworldly. Around 2003 I acquired my childhood dream machine: A loaded Onyx deskside with RealityEngine 2 graphics. It was already nothing to the latest GeForce, and running it for an hour brought the temperature in my tiny office up to an uncomfortable 80F. I paid $2500 for it, IIRC. Less than ten years earlier, it would’ve cost over $200,000. Talk about depreciation! I kept it for about five years and then sold it to a coworker and fellow SGI enthusiast who still has it. I don’t think I’ll venture into the SGI realm again unless I stumble upon one of those “Jurassic Classic” Crimson setups used for Jurassic Park.
I would KILL for an Onyx! No practical use at all with it for me, though I would probably come up with some task for it but the power draw is just insane.
I don't have anything super special right now, just some Sun Fires, some Netras, and an Ultra 24 which I am writing this from. All fairly recent stuff. I've got some core memory boards for early early unibus PDPs but no info on them or luck finding info. The cores are in good shape so it may become a project to get a working system together down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Cottontail
A little bit, sometimes. I was basically in the last generation to have a childhood before everything was online. I also have a preference for 60s-80s music over anything from the 21st century.

Reactions: Edgewater
Sometimes I wish I were from the future, but that could be worse, I don't know what the world will be like, so I don't know.

Reactions: initramfs
Well for me this is a bit like a 'What if in a parallel universe"?' Type question.
So, what if, I had been born six years ago instead of 66 years ago?
Still the same 'me' growing up in the same location and family, but with the generational differences of the modern day.

With understanding parents of this contemporary era, I, being their first born child (Assigned Male At Birth), would now be going by my female first name, I would be attending Primary School in a girl's uniform (I'm Australian) and I would be openly identifying as a little girl, just like my younger sisters.

Even at only age six, I would be looking forward to the day when I could be put on testosterone blockers and finally get rid of that ugly male appendage between my legs, that should never have been there.
In the end, I could live the life as I am - a woman.

But in this universe, normal society back in the 1960s, did not know anything about sexual dysphoria and any boy that was not roughing it up, was seen as a possible coward or as a sissy.

Far worst would be for a man to turn out gay, which was illegal at the time.

Reactions: PaigeCherubiel and Kirisin
I like this question, I've thought about this a bit before..

Mostly, I wish I could have been born at least a few years before. That way I could have had more time than I did to cherish the 90s-2000s age of the internet for what it was.
I had started exploring the web before I had even started kindergarten!

Though I had a bit of a time before where I had wished i was born about roughly 10 years ago, so maybe I could have a birthday party themed around a certain popular video game these days. (I don't want to say which because its a bit embarrassing)
Though, I didn't really get themed birthday parties like this anyways so I doubt that would happen.

This may very well just be a case of grass being greener but I do feel a few years either way might have made a big difference. Coming of age just in time for the GFC and it's aftermath and as one of the last non-digital-natives really is not a great hand to be dealt. Whether or not I would do better I can't say but it's hard to see what obstacles would replace these if any.

I wish I was born 100 plus years ago. I would have been happy as a fur trapper living in the remote bc wilderness. I currently do live in the remote bc wilderness but it's not the same life today as it would have been then.

Reactions: Teddy02
I like my generation. I was a free range kid with an at home mom. My first real job was a computer operator on an IBM 1401. I learned computers in the Navy at the transistor level. I got to enjoy 80s kid shows with my children. And now I'm retired and can enjoy my cloth diapers all day and night long.

• Love
Reactions: ShyBoo81, BobbiSueEllen and Edgewater
I always wish I could of been born in the 90's or something, just to see what it was like. See how some people went without smartphones and gaming computers.

Reactions: ShyBoo81
I've sometimes wondered what it would be like if I was born around 2008, etc. I'm a pre internet generation so everything we learned about sex was from friends on the street. More to the point, if as a kid I had access to my own computer and the internet, would I have had the courage to ask my mom for diapers, etc., or at least I might have had more acceptance. There also would have been more opportunities to buy diapers, something that was almost impossible for me as a kid as everyone in town knew my parents and me. Maybe I would have said yes to the boys who hit on me when I was a boy because for some reason, it happened often.

Reactions: ShyBoo81
I was an early 80's kid, born in early 70's
We had the best time growing up, neighborhood kids getting together jumping bike ramps, playing with STOMPERS mini 4x4 trucks, Go-Bots, boom boxes, playing Atari 2600 module, TV Dinners!, sliding down grass hills with cardboard boxes, making push carts with old trailer wheels, tree clubhouse meetings.
Watching cartoons Saturday morning, M.A.S.K
Thundercats, Snorks, Voltron, Masters of the Universe, Looney Toones, Wonder Twins, Hall of justice Heroes, Heathcliff, tooo many to list.😁
Playing around with Panasonic under dash cassette players powered by taping up 9 "D"batteries in series with masking tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Sapphyre, Kirisin and 2 others
Jorelaxed said:
I was an early 80's kid, born in early 70's
We had the best time growing up, neighborhood kids getting together jumping bike ramps, playing with STOMPERS mini 4x4 trucks, Go-Bots, boom boxes, playing Atari 2600 module, TV Dinners!, sliding down grass hills with cardboard boxes, making push carts with old trailer wheels, tree clubhouse meetings.
My family says they survived without smart phones and the internet. I always wondered if I could in this era lol

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Kirisin and Jorelaxed
I was born in 1966 in East Los Angeles California. I would give everything I have to start over at 4. Providing I didn't haft to live thru my father's abuse again. The 70s where for me was the best decade of my life. In 1972 I was 6 that's when the diaper punishment came. That made me what I am today DL. The only thing I had to worry about that decade was staying away from him. School was fun for me. In the 70s you didnt really haft learn just show up and you advanced to next grade. Teacher would push you thru a grade where you became somebody elses problem. In that decade I figured out I liked boys more then I liked girls. The music in the late 60s and 70s where the roots of rock. Creating the starting point of what I consider the greatest 50 year Era of rock genre's. As well as influencing the direction and path of the country music genre. Starting over in 1970 would also give me a chance to change some parts of my childhood for the. Maybe take a better shot at getting things right. I think the one thing I would change is not lie to my mother to get out of diapers. Maybe figure out that wearing a diaper would have been better then a wet bed every night. The 70s had some of most influential movies and TV classics. And some of the legends in acting like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, William Shatner. Programs from Star Trek to Gilligan's Island Bewitched, Bonanza, I Love Lucy, Smoky and the Bandit and Star Wars. For me the greatest decade was the 1970s. If I could find that Genie in a bottle that's the decade I would choose to start over.

• Love
Reactions: Jorelaxed
TommyTheDiaperDuck said:
My family says they survived without smart phones and the internet. I always wondered if I could in this era lol
forget about it we couldn't get thru 1 day without our smartphones not gonna happen.
Anybody remember what a pay phone looks like or an address book rotary phones party lines and attached to a wire in a wall.

Kirisin said:
forget about it we couldn't get thru 1 day without our smartphones not gonna happen.
Anybody remember what a pay phone looks like or an address book rotary phones party lines and attached to a wire in a wall.
Do I ever !!
But I am a young 66 year old.

• Love
Reactions: Jorelaxed and Kirisin
Back