Do you wish you were of a different generation?

Edgewater said:
Just a momentary "aside!" I fully agree with the Post above as COVID gave or they (government) took too much power. All the horror from that is now become ever more evident!

Where the difference occurs is that this was a SARS-covid outbreak from a lab in China. The importance of that differentiation is that Lab artificially link of SARS with covid and it will have lasting effects to those who now suffer from Long COVID.

Governments need to admit the errors and those that took it too far need to pay for those unneeded efforts. Medical care for those now suffering from Long COVID need to be addressed.
A lot like the movie "Contagion", people changed very much during and after the pandemic.

Reactions: Edgewater
There was a time when I thought so but I'm so glad I wasn't. I would have missed out on the amazing people in my life that I hold close to my heart. I used to think I'd love to have been a late 40's baby because I LOVE 50's style but I wasn't cut out for living in the 50's.
I'm actually a 90's baby and hold a lot of strong nostalgia from it.
Most importantly, I've realized I was born when I was meant to be born and my life would have been drastically different, and not meant for me, had I been born in any other decade.
Great question!! 💕

I would love to be born now with all the new diapers on the market

I love my generation. Born in 76. I love how we grew up without a care of racial diversity. I am sad for all the youths today cuz I feel like we are back in the 50-60’s where there are so much racial discrimination. I feel like we have gone backward. SMH.

Reactions: I12BLittle89 and ShyBoo81
Edgewater said:
Thank for the belief that it was a wonderful, easy life as a Baby Boomer. However your description falls far short of the reality of those years.
- Incomes to allow only one parent to work left in the very early 50's. It took two incomes to have what you describe.
- Jobs that paid well, never started at that level, it required hard work and dedication with promotions to achieve that.
- There were several down turns in the economy, a period of extremely high-interest rates that blocked vast numbers out of being able to buy a home.
- Oh, and yes, we had a war (Vietnam) that took its toll as that war was the last of the Draft, after which we became an all volunteer based armed forces. Coming home found one with protesters spitting and decrying those who went as: Baby Killers!
- Far more issues, but clearly all survivable with a willingness too.

Today,:
- If one has a 'solid' education in the 'hard sciences' there are vast numbers of great organizations looking for individuals that are willing to show-up, on-time , work and not living life texting or gaming while they need be working.
- Also, the Trades are looking for individual that are willing to learn a trade (they will teach you) with the same base require as provided just above.
- I have found that today's young are among the worst when it comes to being tolerate as anyone that has the slightest disagreement with 'their view' is trashed for not being enlightened in Woke Beliefs.

A Warning:
- Just around the next corner is AI, which is going to eliminate vast number of jobs that will result in vast unemployment as organization invest in AI because it works 24/7.
- What will this generation do with all the Excess Population? Well, it is already limiting Life Prolonging Services!

A New Hope (Mental Health Challenges)
- The effects and COVID actions of governments (Worldwide) will have a lasting effect (projected to be decades) as hundreds of thousands, and likely more, are already displaying an ever richer mixture of Mental Health issues with far from enough available support services.
- Many of those looking for comfort may turn to their very early years and as a result a huge increase in the AB/DL community.
Thanks for giving your thoughts. Its nice to hear from someone who actually lived through those years. Honestly, I sometimes get bombarded with bad news about how Millennials & GenZ are faced with the worst unemployment rate and a bunch of other economic downfalls. I also hear comments online about how the Baby Boomers had it so much better compared to us. I try not to believe every rant they say about Boomers since I dont have 1st hand experience living during those times. But at the same time, I struggle with finding a job like many young people from my generation. I guess thats why Im led to believe that maybe Millennials overall are worse off compared to Boomers. I still try to be hopeful about the situation and avoid drowning myself in all the negativity with my generation. Anyway, thats enough of me ranting about my generation lol

I wonder what can of worms AI will open up. I believe it has its good uses, but it can also be bad if people abuse it. The digital art community, for example, kinda started to suck ever since AI art was introduced

I also wonder if the ABDL community online grew by alot when covid hit. 2021 was when I started interacting on this forum alot cause of the loneliness from being on lockdown

ShyBoo81 said:
Thanks for giving your thoughts. Its nice to hear from someone who actually lived through those years. Honestly, I sometimes get bombarded with bad news about how Millennials & GenZ are faced with the worst unemployment rate and a bunch of other economic downfalls. I also hear comments online about how the Baby Boomers had it so much better compared to us. I try not to believe every rant they say about Boomers since I dont have 1st hand experience living during those times. But at the same time, I struggle with finding a job like many young people from my generation. I guess thats why Im led to believe that maybe Millennials overall are worse off compared to Boomers. I still try to be hopeful about the situation and avoid drowning myself in all the negativity with my generation. Anyway, thats enough of me ranting about my generation lol

I wonder what can of worms AI will open up. I believe it has its good uses, but it can also be bad if people abuse it. The digital art community, for example, kinda started to suck ever since AI art was introduced

I also wonder if the ABDL community online grew by alot when covid hit. 2021 was when I started interacting on this forum alot cause of the loneliness from being on lockdown

This is a rather thought provoking video Might be of interest to you? Or anyone else for that matter.

ShyBoo81 said:

Today, like way back in Boomer Ville, having the 'right 'education is very important! The feel good education that colleges have been stuffing people into have little and better to say NO application in the really world. Not sure what educational background /training you have, but, in the field I retired from (mechanical engineering) are staving for people. It is like that in a wide cross-section of boring titled professions, they pay well! But require hard work.

Anemone said:
Although it has been a few years since I had listened to a British presentations, it took a bit to adjust to its cadence, I did pick-up on the vast majority of the presentation. The sad part is that for this to be useful will require a specific knowledge of economics to follow it.

Sadly, what was missing is the discussion regarding historical transfers of wealth compared to the one coming /has already began, in the very near future and its effect on following generations. Tha massive value of the Boomer Generation wealth is a unique combination of population mass, life time earnings and the resulting combination of life savings /investments and to a lesser extent social contributions. The sad part is the presentation failed to demonstrate the effects of that wealth transfer. If anything was demonstrates; being kind to one's parents and grandparents will have a much greater value.

It is important to understand that the discussion is based on the British scale, which differs to that of the US, which based on percentages is a small social contribution as their healthcare is a much greater part of their government costs..

The Baby Boomer generation had(has) the benefit of much cheaper housing. As for jobs, yes they were plentiful but most of them paid poorly. My first church job as the organist/accompanist for a large, 3200 member Methodist church started at $6000.00 a year and the government had the nerve to tax that little amount. There were times I rode my bicycle to work because at the end of the month I ran out of money and couldn't buy gas. My rent for an upstairs of a house was $100.00 a month and that included utilities.

I think why the Baby Boomer generation looks like they were more prosperous is simply that we're at the end of our lives meaning we have used all these years slugging it out working day in and day out. I often worked two or three jobs: church job, piano students and playing in a band. Over the many years one gets raises and once the kids are grown, you can begin to save some money. My wife was a teacher but even with that, we had months when we couldn't pay all of our bills. We were able to pay off our college loans probably in the first 6 or 7 years and several years before retired we had our house paid off. That does make a big difference in having some money at the end of the month to spend.

• Love
Edgewater said:
Although it has been a few years since I had listened to a British presentations, it took a bit to adjust to its cadence, I did pick-up on the vast majority of the presentation. The sad part is that for this to be useful will require a specific knowledge of economics to follow it.

Sadly, what was missing is the discussion regarding historical transfers of wealth compared to the one coming /has already began, in the very near future and its effect on following generations. Tha massive value of the Boomer Generation wealth is a unique combination of population mass, life time earnings and the resulting combination of life savings /investments and to a lesser extent social contributions. The sad part is the presentation failed to demonstrate the effects of that wealth transfer. If anything was demonstrates; being kind to one's parents and grandparents will have a much greater value.

It is important to understand that the discussion is based on the British scale, which differs to that of the US, which based on percentages is a small social contribution as their healthcare is a much greater part of their government costs..
The tragedy of generational wealth transfer is that it is organised to not benefit those most disadvantaged by wealth inequality.

Having a transactional view of family relationships is not what I would consider a good thing either...

Health and social care is however more expensive in the US. Crucially during the 70s and 80s there was a large cohort in the prime of their lives and a very small elderly cohort. As a result acuity was low and therefore insurance more competitive. Presently the reverse is true and insurers are obliged to spread the risk, resulting in higher premiums for the younger generations to subsidise the elder.

Government and enterprise are responding to the same pressures. The problem being that neither invested during the boom years to mitigate the impending demographic change. Which, granted, can't reasonably be expected of private insurance - government having no such excuse.

Within my family, the wealth accumulation is stratified by age and education. As the oldest, I listen to my grandparents and parents where as my youngest brother did not and my middle brother, well split the difference. Wealth inequality within the Boomers within my family, in my mind, was a choice driven occurrence. Not sub-cohort generational comparison.

Above, dogboy Post better define the early life of my wife and I as although professionals, income was modest and required multiple jobs and more importantly the joint efforts of a married couple.

Anytime, government sees fit to adjust society based differences by helping is little more then a transference from one group. then into the governments treasury, then into the pockets of its current supports and then finally small bits into the hands of disadvantaged. Point being, anytime government sees fit to 'help' it fails all but its current supports and goes well into creating division.

Sadly, little insight will be gained by the majority of those that suffered the video. The balance of us, took comfort the ability of our knowledge to render it to what little it was, a support piece for government action.

Reactions: dogboy
I was born in the 2000s and don’t have any desire to change that. Despite all the fearmongering nowadays I think I was born at the perfect time to enjoy the things that I enjoy and have the friends and experiences that I have today. The only thing I wish would’ve been different is that the stigmatization of mental health would’ve started to be undone earlier so my parents would’ve had better resources and wouldn’t have had to taken it out on my siblings and I growing up.
I do find myself rolling my eyes to the back of my head when I hear the whole “back in my day *insert whatever outdated concept or technology or aspect of life here*” or “you kids these days don’t understand life when *x*” because naturally this is just how time progresses—of course our experiences and attitudes generation to generation will be different. I don’t know why it’s treated like such a big deal since change is inevitable wether you like it or not. And especially when these arguments are just based off of feelings and your own vague memories of your youth, of course things will have seemed so much better back then. The future has uncertainties as it always has. I think the best thing to do is to not get stagnant and stuck in whatever attitudes your generation had in their youth because one day that’ll change, and that’s just the truth. There are certainly things I’m anxious about that I share with those of my generation but you just have to keep going and pushing for what you believe will be the better outcome in the uncertainty.

Reactions: Anemone
I get a feeling that the family we're born in has a huge impact on whether or not we're happy with our generation. My life could have definitely turned out better if my dad did a better job at being emotionally understanding, as a good parent should be. Cause aside from financial and mental health struggles I face right now, Im perfectly happy being a 90s baby

Reactions: Anemone and lilbabyjooce
Back