Do you dislike wearing a diaper, like them or are you ambivalent?

greatlake5 said:
Do you dislike wearing a diaper, like them or are you ambivalent? Some people actually hate wearing a diaper. Probably these people are new to IC, hate wearing one and simply would never get used to wearing one. Then there are people (the ABDL group) who just love wearing one (even if they are new to IC). And there are people (like me) who have been IC for a longer time and are ambivalent.

I'm in the later group. I was born urinary and bowel IC profoundly. And I don't love or hate wearing a diaper. It's just a tool for making life easier. Whether it's wetting clothes or furniture, BM accidents and simply help me keep my dignity (or privacy). Wearing a diaper helps me everyday without fail.

Which group are you? Hate or dislike, love or like or simply ambivalent? And why?
For the most part, I am now pretty ambivalent about wearing diapers, though that has not always been the case. I was diagnosed as incontinent early in my life due to birth defects, but before that I was branded as mentally deficient or just lazy…
I was put into thick cloth diapers during my young years as a form of punishment to try to shame me into continence but obviously that didn’t work and only served to disgrace me socially and shred my self confidence for YEARS. That early exposure to being the “girl that wears diapers” followed me into high school, even though I had moved into thinner disposables in my early teens. Obviously I HATED diapers and all the stigma they brought into my life. They turned me into a reclusive, very antisocial bookworm that ironically excelled in school and ultimately won me a full ride scholarship at a great Texas university.
In college, well away from my home town, I was able to conceal my need for diapers very well. I grew to become ambivalent to the need to wear diapers really from then on except for the strong downside to wearing diapers in the HOT AND HUMID Texas climate. On the other hand, diapers have clear advantages when it comes to not fretting being caught in traffic or shopping where restrooms are few and far between, etc.
Ironically, I transitioned back into cloth diapers to better to cope with the Texas climate, though disposables definitely fill a need at times.
Since I started joining social sites like this one, I began to realize that though I’m not a Diaper Lover, I’m sometimes a ‘diaper liker’ in that I have learned to recognize definite advantages to wearing a diaper.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, LifeInPlastic and 5 others
immp said:
I am fortunate that my incontinence isn't so severe as to need diapers/nappies, although I have experimented when it has been necessary in the past. I personally prefer to avoid them for as long as possible, from a comfort, financial and environmental viewpoint.

I can currently manage with ordinary briefs, although they do get dirty and/or a bit wet, so I do have to change more than once a day.
You might want to look into training undies. Might keep you more comfortable and prevent you from having to change during the day.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
Ellyn said:
For the most part, I am now pretty ambivalent about wearing diapers, though that has not always been the case. I was diagnosed as incontinent early in my life due to birth defects, but before that I was branded as mentally deficient or just lazy…
I began to realize that though I’m not a Diaper Lover, I’m sometimes a ‘diaper liker’ in that I have learned to recognize definite advantages to wearing a diaper.
I'm sure there're many here, just like you. I wasn't "shamed" or "punished." I was never branded as "mentally deficient" or "lazy." My mom (the Galway Woman" was always understanding. She said "Stupid your not." It's simply a medical issue. Of course there were challenges when I was in school. But I add that I did have a fairly group of friends so I wasn't a hermit.

I'm not a DL. "Diaper liker" sounds fine. Actually it fits me. Without wearing a diaper would end having wet or dirty pants. Advantages? They're not actually comfortable but I've never lived without wearing a diaper. I've tried those Ecoable Pocket diapers and I do like them (especially in sport activity - like tennis, golf or softball). Cleaning them is kind of a pain in the ass. My cleaning lady doesn't mind. But the rest of disposables work fine.

It sounds like you've adjusted and your family doesn't mind. Did you're own family stop screwing with you? Aside some loving "teases" from my own family, I don't think I would like if treated like you.

Being a life-long IC, adjusting and being ambivalent, I never developed ABDL. It's just the way I live. Like you.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, MegaLugia and 2 others
johnnyDL1 said:
You might want to look into training undies. Might keep you more comfortable and prevent you from having to change during the day.
Do training undies get washed or are they disposable?

immp said:
Do training undies get washed or are they disposable?
Washed

greatlake5 said:
I'm sure there're many here, just like you. I wasn't "shamed" or "punished." I was never branded as "mentally deficient" or "lazy." My mom (the Galway Woman" was always understanding. She said "Stupid your not." It's simply a medical issue. Of course there were challenges when I was in school. But I add that I did have a fairly group of friends so I wasn't a hermit.

I'm not a DL. "Diaper liker" sounds fine. Actually it fits me. Without wearing a diaper would end having wet or dirty pants. Advantages? They're not actually comfortable but I've never lived without wearing a diaper. I've tried those Ecoable Pocket diapers and I do like them (especially in sport activity - like tennis, golf or softball). Cleaning them is kind of a pain in the ass. My cleaning lady doesn't mind. But the rest of disposables work fine.

It sounds like you've adjusted and your family doesn't mind. Did you're own family stop screwing with you? Aside some loving "teases" from my own family, I don't think I would like if treated like you.

Being a life-long IC, adjusting and being ambivalent, I never developed ABDL. It's just the way I live. Like you.
First, thank you for the kind comments!
I was married shortly after college and we almost immediately started our own business which flourished into a large service and construction company in Texas. We have two sons and I couldn’t be happier!
Very few people in my adult life know of my incontinence (and MS) other than my mostly immediate family and a few ‘very’ close friends. My mom and dad divorced many years ago and my dad remarried to a very sweet lady. My mom never remarried and sustains her very difficult personality. Up until my early teens, before my birth defects were finally diagnosed, life was literally hell on earth at home. With the constant physical and emotional abuse from both parents, most of it related to my wetting, I considered harm to myself several times but with my sister’s immense love and undying support, I got through those difficult times. My sister was my only friend and source of strength to sustain me, pushing me to immerse myself I in school. Though she lives a few hundred miles away with her family, we are very close and talk nearly daily and visit as much as possible.
I have blocked most of my childhood memories but remain in contact with my parents, who live a few hours away, in different directions.
My goal in my adult life has been to make every moment lovingly memorable for our boys and to be a close, loving, supportive wife.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, LifeInPlastic and 5 others
Did I hate wearing diapers at one point, absolutely! That was 15+ years ago when I woke up from surgery and had a catheter and told I'd likely need a catheter the rest of my life! And pads too. Tried diapers to avoid the need to be cathed, and that wasn't the positive effect I initially hoped for. I realized no meds for me either, horrible side effects. If I wasn't going to be cathed and no meds, my only choice was to give in and accept I'd be diapered. Forever. It took a few years to accept this. I had just gotten out of the military, only 35, strapping masculine guy.... In diapers. But I accepted and thankful I'm here to tell about it. And a very supportive spouse and parents too. So yeah, hated it but now very much love my diapers, as I am completely incontinent. At this point wouldn't have it any other way!

• Sad
Reactions: Lethdale, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 4 others
greatlake5 said:
Do you dislike wearing a diaper, like them or are you ambivalent? Some people actually hate wearing a diaper. Probably these people are new to IC, hate wearing one and simply would never get used to wearing one. Then there are people (the ABDL group) who just love wearing one (even if they are new to IC). And there are people (like me) who have been IC for a longer time and are ambivalent.

I'm in the later group. I was born urinary and bowel IC profoundly. And I don't love or hate wearing a diaper. It's just a tool for making life easier. Whether it's wetting clothes or furniture, BM accidents and simply help me keep my dignity (or privacy). Wearing a diaper helps me everyday without fail.

Which group are you? Hate or dislike, love or like or simply ambivalent? And why?
my life has been in and out of diapers mostly in due incontinence (wetting and BM accidents at times). it is the norm for me to be wearing. however i like being in diapers for me there are more pro than cons to them so i am happy being in them. they are just underwear that allow me to be social and active without much worry or thought. there are many times i am glad to be in a diaper. Example road trips, events, family functions like weddings, movies, concerts, New Years Eve New York time square (with no restrooms), traveling in countries where the restrooms are extremely rustic, many public restrooms. i am more than okay with needing to wear i do like having to wear.

Reactions: NotTheAverageMan, Lethdale, Diprs2 and 2 others
Well as stated in different places in the IC blog. I think going back some of my issues go back to back injury in the Army. Then fast forward to an explosion and then a couple of years with some on again off again wetting issues occasionally that as a gung hoe now Retired Army dude does not want to admit to wetting the bed while in the hospital with Covid. I have November 2020 my Incontinence went from Occasional or not knowing I had to go to the bathroom most of the time I just start wetting or my gets the signal and I do not get there in time. Yes, I guess I am the lucky one there are times I make it to the bathroom/restroom. I started wearing diapers in the hospital as when I was there short-staffed and having to gown up like astronauts before entering my room I would wet the bed and be laying there in a cold wet bed sometimes 30-45 minutes. My night nurse came in and suggested we put one of these on she had an Adult diaper in hand. That started it. a few weeks later after being released I was handed a few to get by with until I could buy more. I bought pull-ups and added baby diapers as boosters this leaked and was terrible to say that I was trying my darndest to fix myself so to say I like diapers that are a No. I have not been to Eurologist yes my Dr. knows I am full-blown incontinent. My file says while in ICU and the rest of my hospital stay I had kidney Issues and Bowel Issues of which I had scans and an MRI my file does not say anything as far as what was or was not found. Now 3 years later I wear diapers and plastic pants 24/7. I have learned to live and like my diapers and go about carrying on with life. Sorry about the long story.

Reactions: Lethdale, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
A good question. I think I would also choose abivalent for me. It started at disliking and moved towards liking. If 0 is dislike and like is 100, I'd say I'm somewhere between 70-80 by now. But that was a looong process. I despised them fiercly when I started to have daytime issues but it was mainly because I hated myself for not seeing a doctor for my issues sooner. It took me years to see them more as an enabler than a denier. I took some inspiration from the AB/DL community over the years as well, trying to focus about positive aspects of wearing.
Since I'm now diapered 24/7 for over 10 years it is just business. Changing into a new diaper is like getting a new handkerchief out of the box after disposing of the old. Just something you do and get on with the day. But after work or at weekends I try to do it more conscious actually enyoing the sensory aspect of the process. The feeling of a new, soft, cozy diaper. Or try to appreciate the spread of warmth and swell in the diaper when the bladder is voiding. Pose before the mirror and realize I even have a even more juicy butt when diapered. Or get in a big boosted diaper for a gaming spree and be happy about not having to change even when drinking much and sit in a squishy soaked mountain of SAP at the end of it and lauging my ass off about the grotesque size of this swollen diaper monstrosity.
But at times when I'm outside and the diaper is full again and I have to go change I hate it to be reminded of my dependance. I actually hate changing more then wearing diapers. I think because wearing and using has become a natural feeling by now but when changing im reminded of it, being confronted with the results.
So it is a bit of a mixed case for me. I like the term that Ellyn coined - diaper liker. It's not sexual but more ironic, comedic, cozy. I learned to enjoy them and that is something that I consider an improvement.

Cheers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NotTheAverageMan, Lethdale, sport1 and 4 others
LifeInPlastic said:
A good question. I think I would also choose abivalent for me. It started at disliking and moved towards liking. If 0 is dislike and like is 100, I'd say I'm somewhere between 70-80 by now. But that was a looong process. I despised them fiercly when I started to have daytime issues but it was mainly because I hated myself for not seeing a doctor for my issues sooner. It took me years to see them more as an enabler than a denier. I took some inspiration from the AB/DL community over the years as well, trying to focus about positive aspects of wearing.
Since I'm now diapered 24/7 for over 10 years it is just business. Changing into a new diaper is like getting a new handkerchief out of the box after disposing of the old. Just something you do and get on with the day. But after work or at weekends I try to do it more conscious actually enyoing the sensory aspect of the process. The feeling of a new, soft, cozy diaper. Or try to appreciate the spread of warmth and swell in the diaper when the bladder is voiding. Pose before the mirror and realize I even have a even more juicy butt when diapered. Or get in a big boosted diaper for a gaming spree and be happy about not having to change even when drinking much and sit in a squishy soaked mountain of SAP at the end of it and lauging my ass off about the grotesque size of this swollen diaper monstrosity.
But at times when I'm outside and the diaper is full again and I have to go change I hate it to be reminded of my dependance. I actually hate changing more then wearing diapers. I think because wearing and using has become a natural feeling by now but when changing im reminded of it, beein confronted with the results.
So it is a bit of a mixed case for me. I like the term that Ellyn coined - diaper liker. It's not sexual but more ironic, comedic, cozy. I learned to enjoy them and that is something that I consider an improvement.

Cheers
It’s more of a case of routine for me. As far as Diaper Liker, it’s more closely a case of Diaper Okayer…. A fact of life or a way to get on with the day, the job, duties as a mom, as a wife, ... , making the most of the miracle of life!
Now, with that, I do sometimes take a few minutes to enjoy a leisurely shower and get into a warm set of diapers, fresh out of the dryer. AND maybe an intimate evening with my husband, with a sexy outfit and playful diaper cover over diapers.
Steve Winwood’s ‘Roll with it’

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, RachelOlivia and 3 others
Ellyn said:
It’s more of a case of routine for me. As far as Diaper Liker, it’s more closely a case of Diaper Okayer…. A fact of life or a way to get on with the day, the job, duties as a mom, as a wife, ... , making the most of the miracle of life!
Now, with that, I do sometimes take a few minutes to enjoy a leisurely shower and get into a warm set of diapers, fresh out of the dryer. AND maybe an intimate evening with my husband, with a sexy outfit and playful diaper cover over diapers.
Or "Don't You Know What the Night Can Do"

Reactions: Diprs2 and Ellyn
Ellyn said:
A cloth diaper fresh out of the dryer after shower/bath? Yeah, that sounds very cozy. Anything out of a dryer has it's cozyness increased by at least 100%. ^^
But I don't have a dryer and wear cloth not as much as you do. Mainly in summer when I can hang it out to dry on the balcony but even then only occasionally. But I can picture it. On a cold winters eve, in combination with a bathrobe and then have a hot choclate spiced with rum and chill. Maybe if I move into a bigger appartment one day with more space available.

Cheers

Reactions: MegaLugia, Floodingpants, Diprs2 and 3 others
LifeInPlastic said:
A cloth diaper fresh out of the dryer after shower/bath? Yeah, that sounds very cozy. Anything out of a dryer has it's cozyness increased by at least 100%. ^^
But I don't have a dryer and wear cloth not as much as you do. Mainly in summer when I can hang it out to dry on the balcony but even then only occasionally. But I can picture it. On a cold winters eve, in combination with a bathrobe and then have a hot choclate spiced with rum and chill. Maybe if I move into a bigger appartment one day with more space available.

Cheers
My mom used to line dry diapers most of the time. There would be a few lines occupied by them, mostly at the ends of the lines due to the weight. I can also remember how warm and stiff they were from drying in the Texas sun all day and how bright white they were.
That used to also be a main source of shame and embarrassment for me as they and plastic pants were out there for all to see.

• Sad
Reactions: MegaLugia, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
Ellyn said:
My mom used to line dry diapers most of the time. There would be a few lines occupied by them, mostly at the ends of the lines due to the weight. I can also remember how warm and stiff they were from drying in the Texas sun all day and how bright white they were.
That used to also be a main source of shame and embarrassment for me as they and plastic pants were out there for all to see.
That is truly sad to hear. I read of many bedwetters who had this hummiliating experience. But that humilliation is rather a fault of society than that of those who need protection. Sure, doesn't help when you get bullied.

UV light is a great natural bleaching. I always use at least one cotton diaper for my padding. They are just white, rectangular pieces of cloth and could easily pass as towels. I hang them at the outlines of the laundry rack and stuff like plastic pants and shaped cloth boosters in the inside. That plus the rack being already relatively protected by the balcony mimimizes visibility a lot. Even if a neighbor ever saw something I no longer mind. No one ever mentioned anything however. But I'm an adult and if anyone would ever discimminate me things will get hot.

Cheers

Reactions: MegaLugia, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
LifeInPlastic said:
UV light is a great natural bleaching
Good to know! Need to wash the front panel of my ConvertUps and except in lab settings, I've never used bleach in laundry

Reactions: MegaLugia, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
FudgedInLuvs said:
Good to know! Need to wash the front panel of my ConvertUps and except in lab settings, I've never used bleach in laundry
Personally I would never use chemical bleach in laundry especially when washing underwear. And when I wash an item and is meant to catch pee I see even less point in it having beaming, bright white. Advertising brainwashing for houswifes from back in the 60s that prevailed. Not like I'm going to walz over a catwalk in my cloth diapers, lol. But especially the summer sun with it's high intensity just kills many color-pigments and also bacteria! Simply because of that I like hanging cloth diapers out in the sun. Hang 'em out in the morning and collect in the evening. The longer the better.

Cheers

Reactions: MegaLugia, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
LifeInPlastic said:
Not like I'm going to walz over a catwalk in my cloth diapers
Haha, I just have a dog I try not to fall over in the middle of the night when I need to wear. When we get a warm weather streak back in my area, think I'll give it shot. Love using these as they work for my needs, but would like to get them to looking a bit better, not necessarily new

Reactions: LifeInPlastic and Diprs2
LifeInPlastic said:
But at times when I'm outside and the diaper is full again and I have to go change I hate it to be reminded of my dependance. I actually hate changing more then wearing diapers. I think because wearing and using has become a natural feeling by now but when changing im reminded of it, being confronted with the results.

Cheers
@Ellyn definitely has a good terminology in "Diaper Liker." I'm not incontinent, and also not AB/DL. I've called myself DU, a diaper user. I hate the feeling of a full bladder, and often am in a situation where I have the options of having a full bladder for most of the day, risking an indecent exposure charge, or wearing a diaper. I'm NOT going to risk an indecent exposure charge, so when it makes sense, I'll wear a diaper to avoid feeling like I'm going to explode all day. I also hate having to choose between getting up in the night, or feeling like I'm going to explode most of the night. Again, wearing a diaper resolves this, so sometimes I'll wear to bed. I have worn 24/7 in the past, and liked it, and figured out a way to do it very inexpensively. It's not sexual, and it's not necessary, but.....I like it for its advantages, like some of the IC people here have stated, only the advantages I like are somewhat different than the IC users, though some of them also have stated liking these advantages. Advantages are advantages.

I appreciate the positive and supportive tone of this thread. There are others in the IC forum where I wouldn't have dared to say anything. This thread has shown how much common ground we all have, and I've seen many great insights from people I respect. I appreciate @greatlake5 for starting it by sharing his own journey. This is a great group of people.

Reactions: MegaLugia, LifeInPlastic and Diprs2
InvestigativePhilosopher said:
@Ellyn definitely has a good terminology in "Diaper Liker." I'm not incontinent, and also not AB/DL. I've called myself DU, a diaper user. I hate the feeling of a full bladder, and often am in a situation where I have the options of having a full bladder for most of the day, risking an indecent exposure charge, or wearing a diaper. I'm NOT going to risk an indecent exposure charge, so when it makes sense, I'll wear a diaper to avoid feeling like I'm going to explode all day. I also hate having to choose between getting up in the night, or feeling like I'm going to explode most of the night. Again, wearing a diaper resolves this, so sometimes I'll wear to bed. I have worn 24/7 in the past, and liked it, and figured out a way to do it very inexpensively. It's not sexual, and it's not necessary, but.....I like it for its advantages, like some of the IC people here have stated, only the advantages I like are somewhat different than the IC users, though some of them also have stated liking these advantages. Advantages are advantages.

I appreciate the positive and supportive tone of this thread. There are others in the IC forum where I wouldn't have dared to say anything. This thread has shown how much common ground we all have, and I've seen many great insights from people I respect. I appreciate @greatlake5 for starting it by sharing his own journey. This is a great group of people.
I was quite grossed out by AB/DLs at first and despised them due to predjudices and simply not knowing anything about them past "they shit themselves for giggles while wearing oversized children clothes". But in fact they are just like the rest just with a different hobby. I realised over time we sit in the same boad and it's better to stick together and learn from each other. For me absorbend underwear takes care of a physical problem for them it takes care of a mental/emotional one. Two sides of the same coin in my eyes.

Cheers

Reactions: Diprs2, MegaLugia and PadPhilosopher
Back