Cause of incontinence

I was involved in a car accident not long after moving to this country. Still not 100% sure what happened for I hit my head but I remember a van hitting the back of a car adjacent to me which then spun and hit mine.

The next thing I clearly remember was being in the hospital and told that I had to undergo surgery to fuse my spine, which as a side effect led to having difficulties with bladder control (I didn't discover this until after I left the hospital).

In a strange way though, the accident was the best thing that has ever happened to me. My parents remained in our home country when I had my accident and I relied on the support of a co-worker with whom I became friends. She drove me home after I eventually left the hospital and she supported me through my recovery and we grew closer until we started our relationship. We celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary this December.

Reactions: Pino, Napincolove, Tundra1975 and 3 others
The problem with IC(regardless if it is urinary or bowel) is, that it is not a disease/illness on it's own but a symptom of a multitude of conditions(some even not researched at all). That makes pinning down the source sometimes very difficult or outright impossible. All you can do is run a doc marathon and hope for the best.

Cheers

Reactions: fredy552
AUG168 said:
BPH which causes occasional OAB. I'm a slow leaker for the most part. I go between pads and pull-ups. I can have days that I'm almost dry and others 3-4 pads or 2-3 pull-ups in a day. At night I wear a pullup, again overkill but I don't want to get the bed wet.
I understand, I have neurogenic bladder due to a brain injury I wear Pull Ups too but I still wet the bed

Reactions: AUG168
AUG168 said:
BPH which causes occasional OAB. I'm a slow leaker for the most part. I go between pads and pull-ups. I can have days that I'm almost dry and others 3-4 pads or 2-3 pull-ups in a day. At night I wear a pullup, again overkill but I don't want to get the bed wet.
I wear Pull Ups myself for my urinary incontinence at night I have cerebral palsy and neuropathy

Reactions: AUG168 and sport1
So, not sure what exactly caused my nighttime IC, but been like that forever, I did have menengitis as an infant and nearly diied, but no memory of that...

But i have always had nurological issues, had special clases for things like writing and alike throughout school.

Then always had only short time to get to bathrrom my whole life.

Then got in accident with spinal damage, and also brain damage, even now shown to autonomic nerve damage as well (maybe from a few years ago from a large fall) but with the physical issues from fall and also the autonomic nerve damage i'm pretty much full IC, i can maybe make the bathroom once or twice a day at best. So, i'm not diapered 24/7.

What has caused it...

That is always an issue it seems, IC or more being continentent seems to involve so many different things to work correct that if anything goes wrong then things fail and your IC.

In reality I think that some things were weak on me and then adding in the additional nerve damage and autonomic nerve damage as then made everything worse over time.

In all reality, being IC is not really the top issues I have at all, my autonomic issues with BP, Heartrate, temp, etc all cause some major issues, from just generally passing out, to falling, to really at minimum shortening my lifespan to possibly bein found with no pulse able to be found, wether heart stopped i dont know to be honest and dont care, but in reality i know that if not found i'd be dead for sure, was in coma for days, that issue can still happen any day, that is much higher than the fact that i cant hold my urine in...So IC is not top on my list at this point and would love it to make it back to the top of the list.

But, that said, I have NO idea how many times nor how much i may put into a diaper, and TBH I think that most the IC people on the forum will be about the same and not know, nor really care how many times they use a diaper.

Reactions: sport1
Diagnosed with spastic overactive bladder due to a neurogenic bladder. The Dr. said my bladder/brain connection works like a babies. It is what it is. Fortunately by age 8 or 9 being diapered every night for my nightly bedwetting I became a diaper lover. So I need diapers and am totally content with it.

ballyhooser said:
Diagnosed with spastic overactive bladder due to a neurogenic bladder. The Dr. said my bladder/brain connection works like a babies. It is what it is. Fortunately by age 8 or 9 being diapered every night for my nightly bedwetting I became a diaper lover. So I need diapers and am totally content with it.
You always have to adjust.

I will add too, that i have a apperantly rare issue with autonomic nerve damage to my brain, my drs dont know exactly if that is involved in my full time IC issues, but i think it may.
But they are more focused on the bigger issues with my random changes in BP, HR, Temp, Gluclose, Breathing, AKI's and the rest of the random things my body just decides to make difficult.
I think that is a good call in focusing on the things that keep me above ground and worry about the smaller things later...Not that big a deal peeing or sweating random vs random low BP where kidneys shut down and pass out or go comotose for a few days, rather be above ground peeing then underground dry.

Phoenix0 said:
I have been incontinent for around 6 years now, because of an operation when i was 16. I was having a kidney stone removed, the doctor made a mistake and rendered me urinally IC. As for how i became fecally IC, i have no idea. I just noticed one day that i couldn‘t control my poops anymore 🤷
What about you guys?
As I've posted before, my desire to wear diapers, and remain a baby, began at around four years of age. Yet, I've experienced two separate times where complications after surgery left me having trouble controlling my urine. The first was a year or so after my first two back surgeries I had a week apart in 1974 to fuse my lumbar spine just before I turned 13. In between the surgeries I was heavily sedated and had a catheter, which a night nurse got tangled up with when she was turning me to prevent bed sores. She all but pulled it clear out! As time went by scar tissue began to build up causing me to have bladder spasms and other issues. This was a difficult time I've discussed before and not knowing why I was having trouble. Ten years later I saw a urologist after things got bad and learned of the scar tissue which required a difficult surgery and recovery.
Then, in 1999 I had more extensive lumbar surgery and have been urinary incontinent since. I begin to feel the need to pee, and a minute or two is the longest I can hold my urine.
Although I enjoy being diapered, at times very thickly, I do not enjoy not being able to live without wearing a diaper full time. I posted earlier today my concern about how to go to the gym to help recover from some more surgery and be somewhat discrete about wearing something for protection.

babyscotty37 said:
As I've posted before, my desire to wear diapers, and remain a baby, began at around four years of age. Yet, I've experienced two separate times where complications after surgery left me having trouble controlling my urine. The first was a year or so after my first two back surgeries I had a week apart in 1974 to fuse my lumbar spine just before I turned 13. In between the surgeries I was heavily sedated and had a catheter, which a night nurse got tangled up with when she was turning me to prevent bed sores. She all but pulled it clear out! As time went by scar tissue began to build up causing me to have bladder spasms and other issues. This was a difficult time I've discussed before and not knowing why I was having trouble. Ten years later I saw a urologist after things got bad and learned of the scar tissue which required a difficult surgery and recovery.
Then, in 1999 I had more extensive lumbar surgery and have been urinary incontinent since. I begin to feel the need to pee, and a minute or two is the longest I can hold my urine.
Although I enjoy being diapered, at times very thickly, I do not enjoy not being able to live without wearing a diaper full time. I posted earlier today my concern about how to go to the gym to help recover from some more surgery and be somewhat discrete about wearing something for protection.
I first became urine incontinent then when older became bowel.

Reactions: babyscotty37
I went incontinent with having BPH and also neurologically due to Cerebral Palsy.

caitianx said:
I went incontinent with having BPH and also neurologically due to Cerebral Palsy.
I have cerebral palsy too!, so I wet the bed every night

fredy552 said:
Well, I have some damage to my L4 &L5 discs, but they cannot say for sure that is what is causing my IC OAB or all the other tests that they ran looking at the nerves, etc. The only suggestion was pills for my IC I said No after several people on here and other Incontinent websites said it caused more side effects and most said they preferred to go back to Diapers (Briefs). My PG shook his head I am 68 and fairly healthy. Best of luck with S.C. Doctors.
My Primary Doctor just shook his head. I was fine when I went to the hospital with COVID-19. I left the hospital with a wetting problem that has only got worse. I was wearing diapers in the hospital, and they thought my wetting myself would clear up. I will be getting my Colon and Prostate checked next month. I keep reading that studies from overseas show some people with long COVID-19 have Incontinence. Is this true I do not know. I know I volunteered to be a guinea pig for some new drug to help people with COVID-19 I do know they kept telling my wife that I was not doing well and that she should prepare herself for the worst.

Last edited:
fredy552 said:
My Primary Doctor just shook his head. I was fine when I went to the hospital with COVID-19. I left the hospital with a wetting problem that has only got worse. I was wearing diapers in the hospital, and they thought my wetting myself would clear up. I will be getting my Colon and Prostate checked next month. I keep reading that studies from overseas show some people with long COVID-19 have Incontinence. Is this true I do not know. I know I volunteered to be a guinea pig for some new drug to help people with COVID-19 I do know they kept telling my wife that I was not doing well and that she should prepare herself for the worst.
At first, I was a little dubious of COVID-19 being related to urinary incontinence. I then did a quick search and found several articles discussing this issue, and no one knows why.
Sadly, COVID-19, and the vaccine, have a lot of very negative consequences for a lot of people. Hopefully this resolves for you in time.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10111136

Last edited:
for me, I'm new to this. I was told the drips and dribbles will worsen over time and will most likely be full-on urine-wise. due to diabetes and the TBI. so thankfully I have time to deal with it.

I started wetting the bed after having a UTI back in February 2023ish. I spent around $2k or more with labs and other tests to try and find out what it was and they couldn't figure it out. All we know is that my pee has alot of white blood cells and lots of calcium at times and it burns and tingles. I mostly feel it in my bladder and piping, along with the prostate. I had a ultra sound done to see if my kidneys had stones but they didn't see any and they didnt see anything in my balder eather. To this day i havnt passed a stone but i have passed mucus like stuff before. All i know is the UTI symptoms come and go with time. maybe its a autoimmune thing? Being a side sleeper makes it worst cus my diapers always leek that way. On the bright side i dont wake up if i do leak lol guess im getting use to it. adapt, overcome, improvise! haha. :3

Back