Attitudes to bedwetting pants/nappies in other cultures.

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was browsing in other languages as I sometimes do and came across a French website for bed wetting alarms.

This was the principal picture, which shows an upset girl who has wet her bed and an exasperated/angry silhouette of a mother.

1638987737625.jpeg

It made me wonder, do French speaking cultures have a more negative view on wearing nappies/ pull-ups to bed for bedwetting than English speaking ones do?

• Thinking
Reactions: Beowulf and Angelapinks
PCS said:
I was browsing in other languages as I sometimes do and came across a French website for bed wetting alarms.

This was the principal picture, which shows an upset girl who has wet her bed and an exasperated/angry silhouette of a mother.

View attachment 68064

It made me wonder, do French speaking cultures have a more negative view on wearing nappies/ pull-ups to bed for bedwetting than English speaking ones do?
Looks very different to any advertising we'd see for drynites in the UK. The kids in their adverts look happy. Certainly wouldn't see images of upset children with angry looking parents standing over them with a visible puddle like we have here.

Reactions: Beowulf
I would speculate that amplifying the sense of shame, embarrassment and judgement about a wet bed is very effective marketing when the product being sold promises to avoid those bad feelings it’s just created.

As a very ashamed bedwetter, I was astounded to see ads for products like StayDry Panties in my parents’ magazines as a kid, because the whole subject seemed too unmentionably embarrassing to appear in print. And I couldn’t grasp why the teenage boy was willing to appear in that ad, for any amount of money, announcing to the world and all his friends that he did the thing that made me want to hide under my bed and die.

(To be honest, I felt the same way about ads for babies’ diapers at that stage. What they were for seemed too socially embarrassing to be in print. As I’ve said elsewhere, my parents were never actually mean or shaming about such things, just kind of hopelessly uncomfortable and awkward. My over-the-top feelings — like those of the girl in the French ad — have to have come from the elderly babysitter who toilet trained me.)

Last edited:
sinceiwassmall said:
As a very ashamed bedwetter, I was astounded to see ads for products like StayDry Panties in my parents’ magazines as a kid, because the whole subject seemed too unmentionably embarrassing to appear in print. And I couldn’t grasp why the teenage boy was willing to appear in that ad, for any amount of money, announcing to the world and all his friends that he did the thing that made me want to hide under my bed and die.
I was the same. I wet the bed until I was 13 and I used to hate the drynites advert. The kids in it must of been about the same age of me and their strapline used to be something like 'most kids will be dry in their own time until then there's drynites'. The most kids bit made me scared that I'd need them forever.

I know Japan has a culture putting wet sheets on display and taking pictures of the “guilty party” standing in front of it.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Joules, Deleted member 57387 and Sidewinder
ZetaSonic said:
I know Japan has a culture putting wet sheets on display and taking pictures of the “guilty party” standing in front of it.
Surely not...that sounds terrible

Reactions: Joules, Deleted member 57387 and 12srepaid
Lostboy123 said:
Surely not...that sounds terrible
Japan is very strick as a culture some times even abusive. I adopted my daughter from Japan because of how Japan treats orphans and bastards

Reactions: Joules and 12srepaid
I don't remember seeing this ad and others like it as a child I think they were a little before my time I am just wondering if anyone actually used these and were they as terrible as they look and don't you like the catchphrase "NOT A DIAPER"

Attachments

• 4665855875_f3ccd8e16c_b.jpg
    4665855875_f3ccd8e16c_b.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 65
People would make comments about how other kids would make fun of a child for wearing pull-ups or diapers, but I would not be surprised if they learned that negativity from their parent(s). If a parent has a more relaxed positive view of pull-ups/diapers, then more likely their kids won't make a big deal out of it.

This goes to both kids with or without have incontinence issues. (I hope this made sense)

I have a "So What" attitude about children still wearing diapers/pull-ups. Although I would be more upset with the parents, if they had the "You wet the bed like a baby, I'll treat you like a baby" kind of attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoimi and Rakvirsza
ZetaSonic said:
What I know about Japan attitude about wetting , that is bigger shame is to wet a bed then wear a diaper for night. Because person( older kid and adult) who wets bed is sloppy and not considerate.
Lot of folks wear diapers in Japan. Multiple reasons: old age, crowded transport, long commute times, japan opsession with clean toilets and abdl is a “thing” with some subculture groups in japan( mainly teenagers)

Reactions: 12srepaid
wearforsafety said:
What I know about Japan attitude about wetting , that is bigger shame is to wet a bed then wear a diaper for night. Because person( older kid and adult) who wets bed is sloppy and not considerate.
Lot of folks wear diapers in Japan. Multiple reasons: old age, crowded transport, long commute times, japan opsession with clean toilets and abdl is a “thing” with some subculture groups in japan( mainly teenagers)
I'm glad that Japan has a good attitude towards diapers.
But embarrassing another person for wetting, is NEVER good. (bed sheets)

Last edited:
wearforsafety said:
That is very insightful. I guess that explains why Japan had disposable bedwetting pants long before goodnites were first introduced.

1648489854474.png

The picture looks old and people viewed it differently back then.

I still wet my bed and had to be diapered at night until I was 17. Many kids my age and younger knew I still wet my bed and sometimes I was teased over it. Mostly it was kids in the neighborhood who knew from when we were young and had sleepovers and probably told some of their friends as well. And my younger sisters of course knew and told some of their girlfriends. I think my knowing that so many kids knew I wet my bed and still wore diapers even into high school contributed to my not having many friends, and sort of finding comfort at home with my sisters and mom rather than going out with kids my age. I didn't want to be teased or have someone my age raise the subject, or ask me if I still wet my bed or still wore diapers. My mother was always very kind and protective of me and I had a hard time stopping wetting my bed because I felt so safe and secure when she pinned my diapers on every night and changed me in the morning.

Reactions: Angelapinks
ZetaSonic said:
My wife told me about how back in the late 50's her mother would make my wife's younger brother stand on their porch and hold up his wet sheets until they were dry or messy pants if he messed in them same thing, hold them out for all the neighborhood to see. This when he was 4 or 5 he hates my in-laws to this day , (I don't have much use for them)

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Beowulf, SwedishAMAZING, wetaccident and 1 other person
sinceiwassmall said:
I would speculate that amplifying the sense of shame, embarrassment and judgement about a wet bed is very effective marketing when the product being sold promises to avoid those bad feelings it’s just created.

(To be honest, I felt the same way about ads for babies’ diapers at that stage. What they were for seemed too socially embarrassing to be in print. As I’ve said elsewhere, my parents were never actually mean or shaming about such things, just kind of hopelessly uncomfortable and awkward. My over-the-top feelings — like those of the girl in the French ad — have to have come from the elderly babysitter who toilet trained me.)
Check out the web page for Tiger Brand undies for men and boys. They sell 4 layer trainer pants and plastic pants also. Tiger brand have a distinctive coloured dash pattern on the waistband of their undies and have appeared in several movies if I recall. I always loved their plastic pants and their Ads show several boys who are named wearing the trainers and plastic pants and even diapers that they sold at one time.

patrick1776 said:
That is very insightful. I guess that explains why Japan had disposable bedwetting pants long before goodnites were first introduced.

View attachment 74831
Japan is also the country where their people travel great distances to visit family at holidays on their over crowded trains and during this time the sale of adult diapers goes way way up. No chance of using a bathroom on their trains, you usually can't move an inch once the doors are closed and that applies to their subway system everyday also.

Angelapinks said:
Japan is also the country where their people travel great distances to visit family at holidays on their over crowded trains and during this time the sale of adult diapers goes way way up. No chance of using a bathroom on their trains, you usually can't move an inch once the doors are closed and that applies to their subway system everyday also.
As many here would be aware: Japan is a country where there are more adult diapers sold than the number for babies, for lots of reasons (as already covered), plus an aging population with a low birth rate).

chamberpot said:
My wife told me about how back in the late 50's her mother would make my wife's younger brother stand on their porch and hold up his wet sheets until they were dry or messy pants if he messed in them same thing, hold them out for all the neighborhood to see. This when he was 4 or 5 he hates my in-laws to this day , (I don't have much use for them)
I don’t blame him.

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Angelapinks said:
That is more valid for China where you have lot of migrant workers and they seasonally go home. Japan folks have more tendency to travel daily to work 50-200 km per direction. Then yes, going to toilet is mission impossible.
“Sardine express”

Reactions: Angelapinks and AJFan2020
Back