Any one carry a flash light personally?

I mostly make do with the one on my phone. I can't say I've carried one generally, like the Famous Five always seemed to, but my parents considered it vital to keep one in the house. On my camping trips, I use an electric camping lantern. I remember a children's story about two boys camping in their garden, and one of them says "I've brought our largest torch, just in case..." His slightly mean sister adds "Just in case, to spot the bogeyman." She later scares them by dressing up as a ghost.

Here in Britain we mostly call them "torches" rather than flashlights, which is a bit of a funny word, since "torch" used to mean a flaming torch. There is a Christmas carol which starts "Torches! Torches! Run with torches, all the way to Bethlehem." The sight of people running with flaming torches; it sounds a bit dangerous, like running with scissors.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TrashPanda01, babylock1 and KBoy
LittleAndAlone said:
People who make fun are always the first ones asking to borrow stuff. đź–•

I think all my hand held lights and head lamps have to be 21700 from now on. Lasts forever. But I also keep 2x6 waterproof pucks with CR123 and RCR123/16340 handy because any 18650 lights I have are dual fuel (2X CR123 compatible) and my Eotechs use CR123 too. Like I said everything has to be interoperable and multi purpose.

RCR123 kinda suck capacity wise but a final last resort that is perpetually renewable via USB if I'm out if CR123 and can't get them for a while.
Eotechs are made 2 cities over from me.
For my Eotechs and 1 Aimpoint I have either B5 Sopmod stocks or Vltor stocks with battery storage. I love that lithium batteries have a 10 year shelf life.

The one thing that drives my sons nuts is that even though I carry a flashlight, I won't use it walking outside if my night vision is good. My oldest just doesn't understand that and will complain.

I have a 4 C-Cell Mag-Lite.

I also at one point had a 2 AA Mini Mag-Lite.

Reactions: TrashPanda01
feetintrouble said:
I mostly make do with the one on my phone. I can't say I've carried one generally, like the Famous Five always seemed to, but my parents considered it vital to keep one in the house. On my camping trips, I use an electric camping lantern. I remember a children's story about two boys camping in their garden, and one of them says "I've brought our largest torch, just in case..." His slightly mean sister adds "Just in case, to spot the bogeyman." She later scares them by dressing up as a ghost.

Here in Britain we mostly call them "torches" rather than flashlights, which is a bit of a funny word, since "torch" used to mean a flaming torch. There is a Christmas carol which starts "Torches! Torches! Run with torches, all the way to Bethlehem." The sight of people running with flaming torches; it sounds a bit dangerous, like running with scissors.
For camping/hiking I usually use a head mounted flashlight. It looks a little dorky but its so nice to be able to use both hands.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and TrashPanda01
feetintrouble said:

I've done that carol with one of my church choirs. You're right how even we both speak the King's English, there are differences between US English and....well....you know....English...your genuine English.

I've also noticed that when the battery begins to go on an LED flashlight (or torch...haha) that it will often blink before it goes out.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2, feetintrouble and TrashPanda01
This totally reminds me of when flashlights that were SUPER STRONG (lol) were popular when I was a kid. Radio Shack had advertised a MOON FLASHLIGHT. (series circuit battle baton, more like it)

My bro and I went to get THE FLASHLIGHT. (more like a boat anchor with battery weight and pointless illumination..but it was the thought/dream that counts, right?)

NEW Vintage 1970s Radio Shack flashlight Made in USA NOS 68-1022

Reactions: TrashPanda01
Back