Any one carry a flash light personally?

Only when I'm traveling. I have an adventure backpack that's always ready for a few nights out of town, and another one that's set up for day hikes. Both are equipped with flashlights and headlights.

I also have RGB pocket lights for photography and video work, which have also been great for camping trips.

• Love
Reactions: TrashPanda01, KBoy and LittleAndAlone
Ya. I carry an Outdoor International custom 2 channel D4V2 :) I love it!

Reactions: TrashPanda01
I EDC a Zebra light with an 18650 rechargeable. It has 6 levels from super dim (great for not killing night vision) to very bright - 0.8 lumens to 1700.

babylock1 said:
Don't forget that some of the newer LED lights have the strobe (flashing) function.
Good for emergency attention and briefly blinding persons with ill intentions.
I hate strobe function!
If it was on a separate switch, okay; but it's on the same switch as the everyday functions, so you end up declaring an emergency every time you use it! Grr!
And exactly how often would it be of any good use? I mean, it'll be just like a house alarm that everybody ignores.

Reactions: KBoy, TrashPanda01 and Nam Repaid
I carried one I bought at the check-out at Lowe's when I worked night shift. 😇

Reactions: KBoy and TrashPanda01
LMAO I completely misread the title as I was looking at the list and saw it as

"Any one carry a flesh light personally?"

I was shocked and wondered who on earth carries a sex toy around with them throughout everywhere. Mind you I imagine you could fit a maglight inside a flesh light easy enough.

• Haha
Reactions: TrashPanda01, geka, MudPuppy and 1 other person
Belarin said:
LMAO I completely misread the title as I was looking at the list and saw it as

"Any one carry a flesh light personally?"

I was shocked and wondered who on earth carries a sex toy around with them throughout everywhere. Mind you I imagine you could fit a maglight inside a flesh light easy enough.
Just imagine lighting up places the sun don't shine and then the after shocking affect (vibrations).

• Haha
babylock1 said:
Just imagine lighting up places the sun don't shine and then the after shocking affect (vibrations).
Strobe me!
8baE.gif

Reactions: TrashPanda01 and I12BLittle89
I have TWO flashlights on me at all times. A small discrete one that strobes and a slightly larger proper torch for illuminating a greater space.
When I go out and about, day or night. You never know when you could need something like that. I'd rather be prepared than not.

LaLoneDigi said:
Only when I'm traveling. I have an adventure backpack that's always ready for a few nights out of town, and another one that's set up for day hikes. Both are equipped with flashlights and headlights.

I also have RGB pocket lights for photography and video work, which have also been great for camping trips.
"adventure bag" I'm stealing that. 🤣

Sounds much cooler than "bug out bag" or "get home bag" or "edc bag". 🤭

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TrashPanda01 and KBoy
I tend to carry the keychain ones or a smaller version in my backpack.

Rarely had to use them and more than likely have to find replacement batteries or unit themselves.

I12BLittle89 said:
I did as part of my EDC: Every Day Carry but the clip wore out and kept falling out my pocket. It presented a safety risk when working on helicopters. It’s called FOD: Foreign Object Debris. It can cause a crash. Caught up in mechanical parts or sucked up into a jet engine. I bought new clips for them but they don’t seem to last long enough. Usually catches on something bends out of shape. I’ve tried reforming it but it never holds. So I quit wearing it. Using my phone flashlight anymore. Not preferred but I haven’t found a reason to spend money on yet another new clip. My wife calls it my security blanket. I don’t care to have a stubbed toe when walking in the dark. She’s constantly leaving the lights off in the entire house.
Well if it's going to get sucked up into a jet engine, I guess you can quit carrying it 😹

KBoy said:
Well if it's going to get sucked up into a jet engine, I guess you can quit carrying it 😹
Simple things like strict FOD and ESD is why our stuff works and Russia's doesn't. 🤣 We probably have better engineers designing the cases and shipping boxes than they have on engines or guidance systems.

Last edited:
KBoy said:
Depends on the bypass ratio. Might only hit a turbo fan blade and just go right through and out the other end. Catch!

Last edited:
  • Haha
I12BLittle89 said:
I did as part of my EDC: Every Day Carry but the clip wore out and kept falling out my pocket. It presented a safety risk when working on helicopters. It’s called FOD: Foreign Object Debris. It can cause a crash. Caught up in mechanical parts or sucked up into a jet engine. I bought new clips for them but they don’t seem to last long enough. Usually catches on something bends out of shape. I’ve tried reforming it but it never holds. So I quit wearing it. Using my phone flashlight anymore. Not preferred but I haven’t found a reason to spend money on yet another new clip. My wife calls it my security blanket. I don’t care to have a stubbed toe when walking in the dark. She’s constantly leaving the lights off in the entire house.
I would suggest you try looking at climbing supplies. You can get robust "locking carabiners" that way. There are two main types I'm familiar with. One has a threaded collar that you screw into place to link the gate and loop to each other. It's slow, but practically foolproof (as long as you actually remember to manually lock it; so...foolproof once it's locked). That can take a couple seconds to operate, and requires conscious thought to use.

Much more practical for your application is the style that has a spring-loaded tube that does the same thing. Rotate the tube slightly to unlock the tube itself, then slide the tube up or down, to unlock the carabiner's gate. This variety automatically locks itself, and only adds maybe a quarter of a second to the process of opening it. As I recall, however (been years since I've used one), you do have to hold it in the unlocked position for it to properly close, but once you're used to it, that's trivial.

Locking carabiners (I think British English may use a different word than "carabiner," probably "clip") are definitely a bit fiddly, but ideal for when having things not fall off is absolutely critical.

A theoretically less-expensive alternative to locking carabiners, which would probably be impractical for you, is to take two non-locking carabiners and use them together, with their orientation reversed from each other (one hinge at the top, one hinge at the bottom), so that when the gates open, they cross and make an X. Anything trying to escape has to get past two gates. Once again, you'd want climbing-grade stuff, so they actually last, stay aligned, and the gates can't reverse (open outward), not the cheap things you find on Amazon or at a typical sporting goods store. Once you're buying two climbing-grade non-locking carabiners instead of one locking one, I'm not sure how much money you'd actually save, however. You wouldn't want to be trying to remove things from that setup regularly (it's a bad way to try and hang a flashlight from a belt), but it would be a good way to mount a tether for your flashlight, if you just wanted to keep your flashlight in your pocket or something. Honestly, even with locking carabiners, if you're working on aircraft, and can make sure your tether isn't going to go snagging on things, a tether is a good idea, anyway.

I also have another type of carabiner (if you can call it that); non-locking, but with redundant closures, kind of like the crossed gates I just described... I wouldn't know what to call it, but it has two overlapping hooks on pivots, so it's kind of like a big pair of claws. Squeeze the two levers and they open up... It kind of resembles a lobster claw. I think mine is honestly a miniature novelty version of an actual similar piece of climbing equipment, but it's got a nice metal shell and the two hooks, and at the bottom of it, it has some webbing with two split rings (key rings) permanently attached. My only issue with mine is that the hooks have a little too much play in them, they wobble a little when open, and don't always seat where they should when you close it, bumping into the shell instead, and staying slightly open. But that redundancy of having two overlapping hooks keeps that from being a significant issue. The shell of mine also has a number of slightly sharp edges that would probably wear on my clothing if I wore it regularly, as well. If you're working on aircraft, you'd probably want a higher quality version. I'd send a picture, if I knew where I'd put the thing. lol

Petzl (that last character is an L) and Black Diamond are great brands for climbing equipment (as is Singing Rock, but I only know their harnesses, which are godly; they have a "Rock 'n Lock" buckle system that's simply amazing). I believe both Petzl and Black Diamond make carabiners, both locking and non-locking (though I must admit, I've never bought any of my own, so I'm not certain). Of course, same as with aircraft, climbing supplies can and do wear out, and require regular inspection, as well as regular replacement, before they break. Nothing will last forever.

Last edited:
I carry a mini mag light in my coat pocket. It's almost out of habit for when I would walk my dog at night. Now it's just handy to have.

TrashPanda01 said:
Curious if anyone carriers a flashlight on them personally through the day? When I was a kid I got a miniMaglite that I carried all the time. Then in high-school I picked up a Surefire G2. After college I started carrying a Surefire P6.
Having a light on hand comes in so handy, but I notice most people don't carry one. Grant it cell phones now have the flashlight feature, but there is just something about 600+ lumens from a tube that can be beaten up and still works.
I am blind, and yes, I carry a flashlight whenever I'm out at night. My flashlight has a bonus at the end. Yeah, man! The sucker is bad-ass because I can flip a switch on the back, touch the light end to someone who is screwing with me, press a little button on the flashlight's body, and send 50,000 volts through my attacker-to-be. Yeah, and my light is brighter than hell. I know because I have light perception in my left eye. I use the light whenever I cross the street to let drivers know I am crossing because, even though one may have the right of way, there are those vehicles that are turning from the side streets, and that's what makes crossing streets sort-of dangerous for me. So my light saves me in two ways, folks.

Reactions: dogboy, KBoy and TrashPanda01
I have a little metal (silver colour) LED torch only 3 inches long, that my wife (RIP) gave me years ago.
As it is attached to my key ring it is nearly always with me whenever I go out, even comes in handy when I am on security patrols at work.
It is pretty bright for such a little thing !! (Just like me LOL).

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy and TrashPanda01
Wow. There's a boat load of ya'll that carry one. I'm a bit surprised. Folks make fun of my for my "utility belt". I carry my light in a case on my belt.
One thing that I hated is how CR123 batteries will be strong and give off a bright light up to the moment they don't. After years of breaking out the light to use it and finding the batteries are dead, I finally bought a spare battery carrier. It's made by Thyrm and this particular model attaches to my phone case. I love it and it's come in handy a few times already with having the spare batteries on tap.

Reactions: KBoy and Happy2BeInNappies2
TrashPanda01 said:
Wow. There's a boat load of ya'll that carry one. I'm a bit surprised. Folks make fun of my for my "utility belt". I carry my light in a case on my belt.
One thing that I hated is how CR123 batteries will be strong and give off a bright light up to the moment they don't. After years of breaking out the light to use it and finding the batteries are dead, I finally bought a spare battery carrier. It's made by Thyrm and this particular model attaches to my phone case. I love it and it's come in handy a few times already with having the spare batteries on tap.
People who make fun are always the first ones asking to borrow stuff. 🖕

I think all my hand held lights and head lamps have to be 21700 from now on. Lasts forever. But I also keep 2x6 waterproof pucks with CR123 and RCR123/16340 handy because any 18650 lights I have are dual fuel (2X CR123 compatible) and my Eotechs use CR123 too. Like I said everything has to be interoperable and multi purpose.

RCR123 kinda suck capacity wise but a final last resort that is perpetually renewable via USB if I'm out if CR123 and can't get them for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaLoneDigi and TrashPanda01
Back