What’s your adult job?

Artist, Special Effects, Film / Television / Theater Sets and Props, Venue Owner, Event Creation

Reactions: Kirisin and perlFerret
I'm a truck and auto mechanic, retired from owning my own shop 15+ years ago. Still doing some of that sort of work part time in my retirement shop. I also play and repair church organs on a part time basis.

• Love
Reactions: CptKirk, Kirisin and perlFerret
Kirisin said:
Freight relocation technician
Big words for a Truck Driver or a Steering Wheel Holder

KendallP said:
I'm a truck and auto mechanic, retired from owning my own shop 15+ years ago. Still doing some of that sort of work part time in my retirement shop. I also play and repair church organs on a part time basis.
AWESOME! That's something I've wanted to get into, from a mechanical perspective. I've read George Audsley's The Art of Organ Building cover to cover a dozen times and they still fascinate me from a mechanical and tonal perspective. I tried apprenticing to Fabry Organ Builders in Antioch, IL, but they weren't taking on new apprentices when I was looking.

Reactions: KendallP
fizzpup said:
It's mostly python and looking at peaks on a graph these days tbf
You haven't lessened my excitment, Fizzpup! A lot of us might be more familiar than you realize with, like, how did we get here and all. ;)

A new thread shall be established. "From Hawking to String Theory and all Bose-Einstein Condensates between, how much would you love to actually pursue your dreams!" Maybe?

Really I just have noticed a lot of IRL interest in your field, me included. I thought about this all day. I guess I'm panting if that makes sense.

This is just one part of you though and you should feel part of the community here!

perlFerret said:
AWESOME! That's something I've wanted to get into, from a mechanical perspective. I've read George Audsley's The Art of Organ Building cover to cover a dozen times and they still fascinate me from a mechanical and tonal perspective. I tried apprenticing to Fabry Organ Builders in Antioch, IL, but they weren't taking on new apprentices when I was looking.
I have to say I'm kinda surprised to hear from someone who knows about the Audsley books on this site ! That is very cool in many ways. I've had my copy for 50+ years now, and I too have read them many times. I still refer to it at times for things I have forgotten the details about. Another good book is "The Contemporary American Organ" by William H Barnes. That one is a bit more modern than "The Art of...", and covers 20th century organs better.

The organ is the most mechanically complex of all musical instruments of course, so it makes sense that a lot mechanics are interested in them, beyond merely playing them.

Reactions: perlFerret
KendallP said:
I have to say I'm kinda surprised to hear from someone who knows about the Audsley books on this site ! That is very cool in many ways. I've had my copy for 50+ years now, and I too have read them many times. I still refer to it at times for things I have forgotten the details about. Another good book is "The Contemporary American Organ" by William H Barnes. That one is a bit more modern than "The Art of...", and covers 20th century organs better.

The organ is the most mechanically complex of all musical instruments of course, so it makes sense that a lot mechanics are interested in them, beyond merely playing them.
My church has one of the largest and one of the oldest organs at more then 150 years old and consists 11,623 pipes, 147 stops, and 206 ranks. I had to look it up it's in the Tabernacle of the Church of Jesus Christ. I think it's really kool to have the skill to build these magical instruments. Sorry not one of the oldest but still a site to see

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret and KendallP
Back