Urology tests?

Babyboyneedssomehaalp

Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I just got a referral to a urologist and I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight as to what tests they do and how to best prepare mentally?

Urologists study your urinary system (kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra) and male reproducion system.

First visit is likely alot of talking. Likely a urine sample, Maybe a bladder scan to see if you are retaining any urine (like a quick ultrasound), and a physical exam (i.e. looking at your genitals, maybe prostate exam if you are over certain age)

Others tests would likely be ordered and scheduled for a later date if you need any.

Reactions: EcoIncon, Edgewater and Babyboyneedssomehaalp
L2Sci said:
Urologists study your urinary system (kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra) and male reproducion system.

First visit is likely alot of talking. Likely a urine sample, Maybe a bladder scan to see if you are retaining any urine (like a quick ultrasound), and a physical exam (i.e. looking at your genitals, maybe prostate exam if you are over certain age)

Others tests would likely be ordered and scheduled for a later date if you need any.
Thank you!!!

after what was mentioned above they will / could do
Cystoscopy - Camera up into your bladder (not super comfy but it goes quick)

Urodynamic testing
You have to drink before the test then pee in a special toilet
then after you get a cath and they fill your bladder with saline while under xray or ultrasound
they ask you when you start feeling fluids and when you feel full
then you pee again into special toilet

Your urologist will then discuss surgery or medication or physical therapy.

You might not get every test mentioned here but they are quite common

Reactions: Lethdale, BobbiSueEllen, EcoIncon and 1 other person
it is hard to say with your first appointment. mostly that s gathering information from you and checking you physical. usually the doctor will order labs (blood work) and do a urine sample. it is pretty much like seeing your general practitioner just focused on your urinary system. nothing to be nervous about. you might want to write down questions and concerns you have as a reminder during your appointment. you never know if your doctor will have you undress into a grown or not each for an exam each doctor is different so dress comfortable and easy. good luck

SparkyDog said:
after what was mentioned above they will / could do
Cystoscopy - Camera up into your bladder (not super comfy but it goes quick)

Urodynamic testing
You have to drink before the test then pee in a special toilet
then after you get a cath and they fill your bladder with saline while under xray or ultrasound
they ask you when you start feeling fluids and when you feel full
then you pee again into special toilet

Your urologist will then discuss surgery or medication or physical therapy.

You might not get every test mentioned here but they are quite common
Been there, done that......on a gurney, tubes up both holes and a door to the outside corridor that kept swinging open to passing hospital traffic.
Before that, two inept nurses who thought they were poking a wasps' in nest trying get a catheter tube up my c*ck. It took a nice Sri Lankan doctor to ease it up...never again..

Lethdale said:
Been there, done that......on a gurney, tubes up both holes and a door to the outside corridor that kept swinging open to passing hospital traffic.
Before that, two inept nurses who thought they were poking a wasps' in nest trying get a catheter tube up my c*ck. It took a nice Sri Lankan doctor to ease it up...never again..
Yea I had a nurse who couldn't get the cath in and took multiple attempts
very painful
and people wonder why we don't want to wear caths day to day

Reactions: slimjiminy and Lethdale
I went into the hospital years ago to get a stricture operated on. A nurse had grabbed my member and was trying to push a catheter in. I kept telling her that with the stricture and the current catheter size that it was not going to go in. She was obviously frustrated about this and finally gave up. They must have put a smaller catheter in after I was put under.

Reactions: Lethdale
Back