Urinary Retention

tigerstripes

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
I have a urine retention problem. My bladder no longer contracts to empty. I am currently doing Intermittent Clean Catheters just to empty my bladder. I tried the sacral nerve stimulator without success. The Doc inserted the leads in an office style procedure with guidance from the equipment reps.

Today, I had a follow up with the Nurse Practitioner at the urology clinic. I told her that the stimulator didn't work and that I didn't have much confidence in the way the procedure was handled. She told me that I could try a "stage 1" stimulator. This one would be a longer trial and the leads (these would be the permanent leads if it works) would be inserted in an OR setting using flouroscopy.

Has any one had a good experience with the sacral nerve stimulators for retention issues?

Not personally, but in my German Forum there are quite a few using them successfully.

Do you know the reason for the retention? When they offer SNS it has to be neurogenic, right? What happend?

Last edited:
Pino said:
Not personally, but in my German Forum there are quite a few using them successfully.

Do you know the reason for the retention? When they offer SNS it has to be neurogenic, right? What happend?
I am not sure how or why it happened. I don't think it is neurogenic. I have not had any injury or surgery to that part of my spine. I do have a spinal fusion involving L3, L4, L5, and S1. The going theory is that I had been holding it too often for too long.

The SNS is supposed to stimulate the nerves and make the bladder contract.

I see. When you do not have any problems with ISC why should you go for a SNS?

With an SNS sports will be a problem for example.

I suffered from CES-I after a back injury involving my L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. Went 6 weeks in agonizing pain before I had an incontinence episode the morning of my scheduled laminectomy/ discectomy and was considered to have CES-R (Depending on your views, I was lucky enough to recover fairly well, and while I still have the occasional bout of paresthesia in the saddle area, it's nothing that isn't manageable) but it sounds like it could be caused by CES or something similar. I know that CES-I and CES-R can present without pain, or any other symptoms, but since you've had a spinal fusion in the area where the nerves that control the bladder/ sphincter are located, might not hurt to follow up. (SNS is one of the methods of bladder control for CES-R, as well)

Last edited:
Pino said:
I see. When you do not have any problems with ISC why should you go for a SNS?

With an SNS sports will be a problem for example.
I don't have any major issues with ISC. It's just the inconvenience of it, making sure I have some with me all the time I'm away from home, etc.

The only sport I do is cycling (long road rides and MTB). I don't think the SNS would interfere.

AshtonFreecss said:
I suffered from CES-I after a back injury involving my L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. Went 6 weeks in agonizing pain before I had an incontinence episode the morning of my scheduled laminectomy/ discectomy and was considered to have CES-R (Depending on your views, I was lucky enough to recover fairly well, and while I still have the occasional bout of paresthesia in the saddle area, it's nothing that isn't manageable) but it sounds like it could be caused by CES or something similar. I know that CES-I and CES-R can present without pain, or any other symptoms, but since you've had a spinal fusion in the area where the nerves that control the bladder/ sphincter are located, might not hurt to follow up. (SNS is one of the methods of bladder control for CES-R, as well)
What are CES-I and R? May be another research issue for me.

Cauda equina syndrome -Incomplete and -Retention. Incomplete doesn't have urinary retention, while the other is aptly named. The cauda equina are the nerves that split off where the spinal cord ends at L1. The nerves resemble a horses tail, hence the equine-related name.

Reactions: tigerstripes
Back