Travelling with nappies/diapers?

jaredc3 said:
I do the same thing. And sometimes unexpected challenges can still occur.

A few years ago we went to Disney World, and I ordered diapers to be delivered to our Disney resort hotel. (Had always been successful before). I got an email that they had been delivered a few days before we were supposed to arrive. Awesome. So when we checked in, I inquired about the package, and they looked it up on the computer, and said something like, "yes! let me go get that from the back." They were gone a while, then came out looking sheepish. Said they couldn't find it in there, but they would keep looking at would let me know when they had located it. No problem. I had brought a few diapers in my carry on so it wasn't an emergency.

I got a call from the desk after we had already turned out the lights to sleep. They said that they still had been unable to find my package, and they would be happy to order whatever was in it as a replacement and rush shipment. I wasn't totally comfortable saying what was in the box... lol. So I asked if I could order it myself and just get reimbursed. They said we could do that, and to stop by the desk in the morning to arrange for the reimbursement. So I ordered and went to sleep.

In the morning I went to the desk to arrange reimbursement, and they wanted to see the order on my phone to verify the total cost. I hesitantly brought the order up on my phone and showed them. They were totally professional about everything, and even said something like, "I can see why this is important that we rush shipping."

After the reimbursement was complete, they explained what had happened... Someone with my exact name had stayed at that hotel just the week before--and when my box arrived, they looked up the guest list, and delivered the box directly to this other jaredc3's room. :) I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall when this person came back from the parks, sees this package in their room, gets excited about some amazing Disney magic, even sees their name on the label, and opens it to find--ADULT DIAPERS?! lol. Interestingly he never reported that to the desk. Maybe he needed them? Maybe he assumed a friend played a silly prank on him? IDK. But it was amusing. Moral of the story is: if you drop ship diapers to a hotel, any hotel, include your reservation # or confirmation # on the address/shipping label so they can match it up to you and only you.
I still would think it would have been nice if the person return it and sad that`s not something i have order. Or maybe was to blushing to say anything about it. Hope it work out in the end :)

Reactions: Diprs2 and jaredc3
abdl86 said:
I still would think it would have been nice if the person return it and sad that`s not something i have order. Or maybe was to blushing to say anything about it. Hope it work out in the end :)
Yeah I wondered what I would have done in their place--probably would have taken it to the desk and said I wasn't sure why I got that and maybe it was for someone else? IDK. But it all worked out totally fine. My replacement supplies arrived in time before I ran out of what I had brought with me. We had an amazing vacation. And I can't say enough positive about WDW cast members--they were wonderfully helpful and professional and never made me feel awkward or embarrassed. Took care of the issues without any problems.

Reactions: Diprs2 and abdl86
jaredc3 said:
Yeah I wondered what I would have done in their place--probably would have taken it to the desk and said I wasn't sure why I got that and maybe it was for someone else? IDK. But it all worked out totally fine. My replacement supplies arrived in time before I ran out of what I had brought with me. We had an amazing vacation. And I can't say enough positive about WDW cast members--they were wonderfully helpful and professional and never made me feel awkward or embarrassed. Took care of the issues without any problems.
I usually call day before I get there to make sure because I have heard similar horror stories. I do call the usually day before they get there and say hey I will be arriving on this day and in have a package arriving on this day.

But even though I had bad airline experience I agree staff at hotel and parks were fantastic even small things like bag searches they were discreet about it.

Reactions: Diprs2 and jaredc3
ParaRomeo said:
I usually call day before I get there to make sure because I have heard similar horror stories. I do call the usually day before they get there and say hey I will be arriving on this day and in have a package arriving on this day.

But even though I had bad airline experience I agree staff at hotel and parks were fantastic even small things like bag searches they were discreet about it.
Yes! The last time I was there, I had my bag searched every day that I went to the parks. Apparently it was because I also had a mobile recharging battery in the bag that tripped the scanners. But they took me aside, discretely searched, were very professional, and I never felt uncomfortable. I hear some complaints lately about post-covid Disney being less focused on customer service, but that has not been my experience. I really appreciate the work they do to make everyone feel welcome.

Reactions: Diprs2
ParaRomeo said:

I actually had an interesting experience at bag check at WDW that I just remembered! :)

Years ago I was in Orlando for a business trip (a conference where I was staffing an expo booth), and it was BORING. And I was going crazy wanting to go to Disney World. So one day I got coverage for the booth and just decided to go spend the day in Magic Kingdom by myself. I had never been to Disney World before, only Disneyland as a kid a few times. So I packed my diaper bag and headed to the park.

Of course Disney security was doing bag checks on everyone entering, so I lined up in the line, opened all the zippers and pockets, and prepared to have them check. Most of the time I've had security just look inside, feel around through the outsides, not say much, and hand back the bag. This time the lady security guard was reaching inside, moving things around, etc. No big deal. Until she pulled one of my diapers out and held it up looking confused and said "what is this?" I was a little nervous being publicly outed like that and I said, "its an incontinence undergarment." She looked at me very confused and said "a what?" And I started to get annoyed that she seemed to be trying to embarrass me, and I realized there is no reason to be embarrassed because I'm not doing anything wrong, and I'm not with anyone that knows me, so I kinda stood up straighter, looked her in the eye and said, "its a diaper." She looked back at it and said, "Nah, its too big to be a diaper." And now I'm really irritated. People in line behind me are also a little irritated because now this is taking longer than it should, and I'm hearing some grumbles and sighs. So I said a little louder, "Of course its big! Otherwise it wouldn't fit me!" Her eyes got really wide, and she suddenly looked like I had slapped her with a wet towel, and she shoved the diaper back in the bag as quickly as she could and zipped the pocket back up and shoved the bag in my arms and said, "Ok, have a magical day, sir!"

I smiled and said, "Thank you so much. You too!" and walked away really proud of myself, and also was flattered that people behind me in line started laughing and clapping, like they were standing up for me standing up for myself. I figured I would never see any of these people ever again, so who cares? It was really validating and empowering. And I even felt bad for the security guard who I'm sure was worried that I'd lodge some kind of complaint and get her in trouble. Which I did not do. I get that the security job is thankless and everyone hates you and you're just trying to do your job so that the place stays safe. So it was a learning opportunity for us all.

• Wow
Reactions: growlycub, Diprs2 and ParaRomeo
jaredc3 said:
I actually had an interesting experience at bag check at WDW that I just remembered! :)

Years ago I was in Orlando for a business trip (a conference where I was staffing an expo booth), and it was BORING. And I was going crazy wanting to go to Disney World. So one day I got coverage for the booth and just decided to go spend the day in Magic Kingdom by myself. I had never been to Disney World before, only Disneyland as a kid a few times. So I packed my diaper bag and headed to the park.

Of course Disney security was doing bag checks on everyone entering, so I lined up in the line, opened all the zippers and pockets, and prepared to have them check. Most of the time I've had security just look inside, feel around through the outsides, not say much, and hand back the bag. This time the lady security guard was reaching inside, moving things around, etc. No big deal. Until she pulled one of my diapers out and held it up looking confused and said "what is this?" I was a little nervous being publicly outed like that and I said, "its an incontinence undergarment." She looked at me very confused and said "a what?" And I started to get annoyed that she seemed to be trying to embarrass me, and I realized there is no reason to be embarrassed because I'm not doing anything wrong, and I'm not with anyone that knows me, so I kinda stood up straighter, looked her in the eye and said, "its a diaper." She looked back at it and said, "Nah, its too big to be a diaper." And now I'm really irritated. People in line behind me are also a little irritated because now this is taking longer than it should, and I'm hearing some grumbles and sighs. So I said a little louder, "Of course its big! Otherwise it wouldn't fit me!" Her eyes got really wide, and she suddenly looked like I had slapped her with a wet towel, and she shoved the diaper back in the bag as quickly as she could and zipped the pocket back up and shoved the bag in my arms and said, "Ok, have a magical day, sir!"

I smiled and said, "Thank you so much. You too!" and walked away really proud of myself, and also was flattered that people behind me in line started laughing and clapping, like they were standing up for me standing up for myself. I figured I would never see any of these people ever again, so who cares? It was really validating and empowering. And I even felt bad for the security guard who I'm sure was worried that I'd lodge some kind of complaint and get her in trouble. Which I did not do. I get that the security job is thankless and everyone hates you and you're just trying to do your job so that the place stays safe. So it was a learning opportunity for us all.
I honestly get the parks confused all the time and most times I will be like Disney East Coast or the one in Florida. I am not gonna lie I kind of had a negative opinion before getting there about park and park security which did change. Short version before my injury and currently I work in public safety(very different now) and Disney Parks as a whole doesn't recognize LEOSA I totally understand private property and a business can do as they please also get some of their worries or what if's but that said what that is, it's National act that allows active and retired Law Enforcement to carry off duty including some sensitive areas like NYC & DC but their banned from doing so in all parks. As I mentioned I see both sides of the argument. So when I got there one being in a wheelchair two having a pacemaker I can't go through scanners but had some ID's that were still active which I do think helped speed up process.But I had to go into in the "Special Line" no scanner just a wand, I did panic a little because I may of had a a baton on me(usually if I can't carry[not crazy, still view self as protector] I do have something to defend myself because some see people in wheelchairs as easy targets my job to change their minds lol) I though not often used I carry straight Cath kits for emergencies and their in tubes so put my baton under them and it was never discovered honestly ya they checked my bag it honestly they had more questions about a medical kit I had. I will give credit were it due and the Security was quite professional, there were a few "tough guys " but every job has them including all of my professions. But if you think about it how many people visit those parks there is probably a fair amount of people weekly that visit with special needs,or some other medical condition so like tsa seeing diapers isn't something new to all of them. I will say and might be me but it did seem like the guards assigned to special line might of been trained for it or had more seniority all were great. One of the times I found it funny security ( not sure if they are deputies that work there) but they have K9's and when one saw my service dog it went bonkers like they wanted to play not aggressive bonkers my dog didn't react and at one point during search he actually laid down and got few comments on how well behaved he was & my normal response is well one of has to.

My favorite park out of them was Animal Kingdom Magic Kingdom though neat seemed more geared to younger like 1-15. I will say besides being disabled having a service dog and not complaining as he has helped me so much and fortunately I was there with a group so was able to ride some rides and somethings but even had Cast Members offer to watch him.

Another part of the park not often spoke of and this and I cannot stress this enough this is for those with legit medical issues not a game. Below tip though might be specific to that trip it can be used for most situations.

Being paralyzed I do alot of research on places I travel to and it's part of my plan when traveling it's like doing recon and getting Intel on places, like handicap bathrooms and other things that may come up like I do now have an online company but look up local home med supply places so if I had an issue I have options for me it could be anything like though wasn't really bad wherex I needed replacement parts but airline bent something on my wheelchair hotel lent me a hammer. But as for bathrooms besides shower chairs, because my only option to change the easiest is laying down. Fortunately now many airports now have adult changing tables, but it was in the parks I really didn't want to lay on those floors even with a changing pad or a barrier. Many sites recommended going to first aid & asking to use a room to take care of something medical. Not going to lie that made me super anxious, one because I look at it like it's not a medical emergency two I was really embarrassed even though many sites had posts where mostly parents of older kids with special needs spoke highly of them also some spinal cord pages recommended them as places to take a break. First day in park my plan was go for little bit than head back to hotel to change, ya probably like many others I got so distracted and knew if I didn't change very soon I would of had an issue. So sucked up my pride and went to 1st aid, when i got there the nurses asked how she could help and asked if anyway I could use a room to take care of a personal medical need she caught me off guard when she asked if I preferred a lower table or normal and was like the easiest to transfer she told me to hang on she went back and than brought me to what looked like a exam room at most doctors but they had a low exam table( there was a blue pads on it so think she knew) she asked if that would work and if I needed anything I said it should than she was like do you want me to watch your SD and get him some water while you do your thing, I'm was like do you mind she was like really I would love to have him hang out with us. So she took him went in locked the door was able to change super easily and it was clean(though I did have small leak) I did bag my stuff up threw in trash but also riped exam paper with pads on it so it was sort of clean(I didn't know their protocol like if it needed to be sprayed or wiped down). I went back to waiting area where my SD was like in heaven with staff behind the desk but he loves people. Because it was hot out I did ask if I could hang out there for a few and she responded listen I can tell your nervous you don't have to be this is why we are here and not the first! So if you need to just come in to cool off or even get out of your chair your more than welcome we understand, she came closer(to be discreet) and was like when you need to change again just come back it's something we see often it's not worth springing a leak I must of been little red and she was like we all work at the local ER again your not the first and not going to be last. I did go back when needed even to cool down, think it was Epcot though I didn't take them they left travel pack of wipes. I did somehow loose my rash cream but they baby thing next to first aid conveniently had some over priced ones and seeing cost of wipes I really appreciated the gesture.

Tough many here might not be in similar situation or have challenges I do! I live by the mantra of prepare for worse case and pray for best and honestly though might be overkill very rarely have I had an issue while traveling by car or airplane. So if you need to do some research also when staying in hotels I usually ask for a larger trash can with a lid if they have one but also I use 3 gallon trash bags normally when out but while in the hotel I put every diaper in a selaed bag than in bigger can but I do bring few of the sturdy trash bags in with my supplies incase because some hotels have had cheap bags or clear ones, so black ones are discreet!

If there are people with disabilities there is a few travel agents online that specialize in disability travel. Pre-pandemic I was actually looking at going on a cruise or planning it for this past summer(i forget the name of agent but one I liked best the husband is a quadriplegic though worse than my injury when they say they understand they mean it) I am happy I chose not to because many became breading grounds for the pandemic and going to wait few yrs before I get on a boat.

Reactions: Diprs2, jaredc3 and abdl86
Back