To bring to therapist or to not?

Harut

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So the title is pretty self explanatory. I have currently started going to therapy about 2 months ago and have worked with her very hard to grow a relationship and repore with her. We have talked through anxiety depression and all kinds of issues and how to use coping skills to work through them. Should I bring up that me being a Dl and that being a comfort to me and so on and so forth is beneficial or should I just let it lay. And if so how do I go about bringing it up? Thank you. And as always stay padded!

Reactions: Edgewater, BBBen, TigerDL and 3 others
If it’s contributing to the problem, yes you should bring it up. If it’s not, I don’t see a good reason to.
I’ve told pretty much every therapist I’ve seen, because most of my emotional health issues revolve around diapers in one way or another.

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, Edgewater, BBBen and 3 others
TrueHero said:
If it’s contributing to the problem, yes you should bring it up. If it’s not, I don’t see a good reason to.
I’ve told pretty much every therapist I’ve seen, because most of my emotional health issues revolve around diapers in one way or another.
Thank you for the insight! I hope that it has helped you

Reactions: Edgewater, TrueHero and BBBen
I told my therapist I was ABDL and suggested she do some research about it herself we rarely discuss it but when we do it’s not uncomfortable she understands it’s a method of coping and healthier than using substances wether prescribed (e.g. Prozac) legal but not prescribed (e.g. alcohol) or illegal (e.g. Cannabis).

Reactions: Owlzzy, BenNevis, Harut and 1 other person
If it’s something you are struggling personally with then I’d say yes absolutely, but with the caveat that you are comfortable enough with your therapist to do so. Therapists hear all sorts, you telling them this won’t shock them and they’re trained not to judge. You may be met with curiosity, but not judgement.

I’ve brought it up in therapy before (and had therapy specifically aimed at accepting this) and it’s helped me understand it in relation to myself and life, how it came about and it’s deeper significance. It rarely comes up at all now, but it’s helpful context to make sense of stuff more generally in therapy.

In terms of how you bring it up, it’s up to you. When I first revealed it, I was in a pretty bad way for something else and just blurted it out. But there are other ways of doing it, you could write it as an email for your therapist if it’s too hard to just jump straight into.

Reactions: Owlzzy, Harut and Edgewater
The goal of solving what you are dealing with mentally, why would not include AB/DL. It is kind of like taking your car in for a problem with it not running well and not saying that you had dumped five gallons of gas for your lawnmower from last season in your fuel tank!

Reactions: Harut and BenNevis
Newbaby110521 said:
I told my therapist I was ABDL and suggested she do some research about it herself we rarely discuss it but when we do it’s not uncomfortable she understands it’s a method of coping and healthier than using substances wether prescribed (e.g. Prozac) legal but not prescribed (e.g. alcohol) or illegal (e.g. Cannabis).
That’s great that you were able to bring it up and that it’s not uncomfortable for you. I’m just waiting I gues for the right conversation to bring it up. Thank you for your insight!

BenNevis said:
If it’s something you are struggling personally with then I’d say yes absolutely, but with the caveat that you are comfortable enough with your therapist to do so. Therapists hear all sorts, you telling them this won’t shock them and they’re trained not to judge. You may be met with curiosity, but not judgement.

I’ve brought it up in therapy before (and had therapy specifically aimed at accepting this) and it’s helped me understand it in relation to myself and life, how it came about and it’s deeper significance. It rarely comes up at all now, but it’s helpful context to make sense of stuff more generally in therapy.

In terms of how you bring it up, it’s up to you. When I first revealed it, I was in a pretty bad way for something else and just blurted it out. But there are other ways of doing it, you could write it as an email for your therapist if it’s too hard to just jump straight into.
That is a great idea! That may help me get my head wrapped around what I want to say and how to bring it up. Also I hope it has helped you in your day to day life. I gues I feel like we talk about all these coping skills and stuff but diapers for me I feel like is my most used but one that the therapist knows nothing about me doing. Idk if it would help with therapy to tell them or to just use it like I have in the secrecy of mine and my spouses knowledge. Thank you for your experience!

Reactions: Newbaby110521 and BenNevis
Edgewater said:
The goal of solving what you are dealing with mentally, why would not include AB/DL. It is kind of like taking your car in for a problem with it not running well and not saying that you had dumped five gallons of gas for your lawnmower from last season in your fuel tank!
I have not thought of it that way. That is a good point. I definitely want to bring it up but how and how much to a share is my internal battle right now.

Reactions: Edgewater
Harut said:
So the title is pretty self explanatory. I have currently started going to therapy about 2 months ago and have worked with her very hard to grow a relationship and repore with her. We have talked through anxiety depression and all kinds of issues and how to use coping skills to work through them. Should I bring up that me being a Dl and that being a comfort to me and so on and so forth is beneficial or should I just let it lay. And if so how do I go about bringing it up? Thank you. And as always stay padded!
Whether you feel you should bring it up or not is a decision left solely to your discretion.

I have been in therapy for 2 years, revolved around gender transition. I have never mentioned diapers to my therapist, though I have thought about it. As someone mentioned above, I view it as a healthy copping habit, and it helps with my gender dysphoria. Though I have thought about bringing it up, or maybe just kinks in general, to feel out how she feels about them. Thoigh they are trained not to be judgemental, I would like to know how their personal thoughts weigh in on how they perceive the kink community in general. I have accepted my own diaper use and it doesn't weigh negatively on me, as I work in the healthcare field and view diapers as any other piece of clothing or fun underwear someone would like to wear. Some people wear thongs or lacey underwear or fun boxers because it makes them feel a certain way, why should diapers be any different, just because they have padding?

Reactions: SimCo, CrayonRocket, TeeMousy and 1 other person
Sidewinder said:
Whether you feel you should bring it up or not is a decision left solely to your discretion.
I agree. Thank you for your support

Reactions: Sidewinder
Jamison86 said:
I have been in therapy for 2 years, revolved around gender transition. I have never mentioned diapers to my therapist, though I have thought about it. As someone mentioned above, I view it as a healthy copping habit, and it helps with my gender dysphoria. Though I have thought about bringing it up, or maybe just kinks in general, to feel out how she feels about them. Thoigh they are trained not to be judgemental, I would like to know how their personal thoughts weigh in on how they perceive the kink community in general. I have accepted my own diaper use and it doesn't weigh negatively on me, as I work in the healthcare field and view diapers as any other piece of clothing or fun underwear someone would like to wear. Some people wear thongs or lacey underwear or fun boxers because it makes them feel a certain way, why should diapers be any different, just because they have padding?
I agree. Thank you for the insite. I hope it continues to help you on your own path. Thank you for the encouragement and input!

Reactions: JamisonFTM
I don't have a therapist, but I do talk to my pastor on a regular basis. He is a trained counselor though, and a close friend. I finally told him about my wearing diapers and am glad I did. It felt good to clear the air on that in my mind. It was not easy to do, but he is very helpful about coaxing things out of me. I sort of hinted one day about them and he helped me feel brave enough to share.

Reactions: TexHagrid and Harut
Diapers are literally the reason I started therapy a couple of years ago. Helped a lot. Therapist was able to point out things in my past that are probably what drew me to diapers. Doesn’t make it any easier to quench the desire for them, but I like understanding myself.

I really don’t see how it could hurt to tell your therapist about it.

TeeMousy said:
I don't have a therapist, but I do talk to my pastor on a regular basis. He is a trained counselor though, and a close friend. I finally told him about my wearing diapers and am glad I did. It felt good to clear the air on that in my mind. It was not easy to do, but he is very helpful about coaxing things out of me. I sort of hinted one day about them and he helped me feel brave enough to share.
That’s awesome. I’m glad that helped you! Thank you for your input!

Reactions: TeeMousy
TexHagrid said:
Diapers are literally the reason I started therapy a couple of years ago. Helped a lot. Therapist was able to point out things in my past that are probably what drew me to diapers. Doesn’t make it any easier to quench the desire for them, but I like understanding myself.

I really don’t see how it could hurt to tell your therapist about it.
That’s great I’m glad it helped you. Your right. Idk that it would but I will see how it goes this week and will keep yall posted. Hopefully the opportunity presents its self to bring it up. Thank you

Harut said:
I have not thought of it that way. That is a good point. I definitely want to bring it up but how and how much to a share is my internal battle right now.
The major difference between you and I is that I have to wear diapers and as a result, I have to accept that I do everyday, 24/7. Plus I have to wear them just to move about my home and clearly when I am out and about! This mind set really changes things and opens me to talking more openly about wear diapers.

Long ago, I have found that especially in the medical world and I would guess in the mental segment as well, tell them vastly eases any tension that you have in the background. Your goal is to overcome some barriers and being open in this subject will help you greatly.

I am in a very open discussion regarding the US VA needing to vastly improve what they are currently suppling Vets. I began this because of my needs, but when I found that the US VA is suppling what can only be called junk! I am speaking to people that have zero knowledge of adult diapers and what the differences are and why those differences are important. So, I am several steps in front of you next steps. You will quickly find that your Therapist is a profession and will appreciate your openness!

Use your Lion's Heart and move ahead!

Edgewater said:
The major difference between you and I is that I have to wear diapers and as a result, I have to accept that I do everyday, 24/7. Plus I have to wear them just to move about my home and clearly when I am out and about! This mind set really changes things and opens me to talking more openly about wear diapers.

Long ago, I have found that especially in the medical world and I would guess in the mental segment as well, tell them vastly eases any tension that you have in the background. Your goal is to overcome some barriers and being open in this subject will help you greatly.

I am in a very open discussion regarding the US VA needing to vastly improve what they are currently suppling Vets. I began this because of my needs, but when I found that the US VA is suppling what can only be called junk! I am speaking to people that have zero knowledge of adult diapers and what the differences are and why those differences are important. So, I am several steps in front of you next steps. You will quickly find that your Therapist is a profession and will appreciate your openness!

Use your Lion's Heart and move ahead!
That’s a noble cause. Thank you. That’s all I can say is thank you for what you did and are doing and will do. I’m currently a full time first responder and you are the true hero. Fighting for those that have fought for us. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and knowledge. And again thank you.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
So just wanted to give an update since I started this thread and many have commented and liked it. Went and started our session like we always do and then the therapist did something different. She asked that I talk for a bit to start of. About whatever I wanted. I told her that what I was going to talk about was very secretive and less than 5 people knew. I asked if she knew about ABDL and at first she stated she didn’t know but once I explained what the acronym stood for she understood well. She was very receptive, supportive, encouraging, and kind about it all. She asked questions and I answered the best I could. She asked that I give her till next session for her to do some more specific research. I told her about doctor rhoada and she knew her work well and I gave her the name of the book I used for me and my wife. Overall I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Like I can breath and be who I am especially in therapy. There are no more secrets and that is a relief. Hope this helps someone else if they are ever in the same shoes.

• Love
Reactions: SimCo, CrayonRocket, BBBen and 5 others
Back