Thinking about moving to Canada

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
I'm not sure how to begin. I'm simply a guy in his late 20s that wants what everyone else does; to move out of their parents house and be able to provide for themselves. Life has been difficult. It took me 5.5 years to get my Associates' degree. I've been stuck in a small town where the majority of employment opportunities are retail and restaurants who only want part-time workers. I've been working hard at Lowe's trying to get a full time position for 14 months now but no luck. We moved here a few years back as it would be a good midpoint for my father as his territory was Jacksonville to Orlando but now he's retired. I have disabilities; the most important being Hydrocephalus. This means I can't drive so it's not like I can work in one town and live in another. I feel that Canada could give me a better life with more opportunity but I don't know where to begin. Can any Canadians offer any good advice?

Hello. I'm Canadian. Just finally got around to joining the site today. Canada is huge, so the job availability, and cost of living can vary greatly from place to place. The availability of public transit is also likely going to depend on where you decide to move to. Which part of Canada were you thinking about?

A large city or the outskirts of a city; like you don't live in the city but it's only a 10 minute bike ride away. For some reason Toronto is my first choice, but I like the idea of Vancouver and Calgary.

I think you may be seeing the forest for the trees. While Canada may seem preferable to the US or certain parts of it, Canada is not without it's problems either and any time you move to another country and away from family difficulties can occur :cautious:

Employment opportunities vary depending on the Province and what you have your degree in. The job market is rather competitive here, so unless you have a degree that can hold rank with what would be offered at a Canadian institution or your finger on the pulse of a good job before coming over, you may still find yourself faced with the same job search difficulties.

Our healthcare system is vastly superior to the system the USA has, however, unless you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you won't be able to take advantage of all of our healthcare services right away, such as health plans, discounted prescriptions, etc. Disability services vary based on Province and those are specifically for citizens and permanent residents, so you may want to look into that further as well. You will have access to free emergency services right away, like impromptu hospital or clinic visits, ambulances or any rush/life-saving surgeries, but how common will you be needing those? If managing your hydrocephalus is another reason for wanting to move here, you'll have to seek out permanent residency status immediately so you can have access to all that our healthcare system has to offer and that process can take some time, usually around 50 days, sometimes longer depending on the number of applicants before you. The renewal process can take time as well, upwards of 100 days.

Public transit is definitely great in more populated areas/locales, but the downside is a lot of Canada's most populated cities charge outrageous amounts for rent. Speaking from experience, in Toronto a cubicle you share with 5 people would probably run you conservatively speaking, 1,300+ a month in rent and utilities, same if you head to the Vancouver or Montreal. If you can't drive, I'd consider walking, cabbing or car pooling, cycling works too if where you live is close enough to your place of employment, but be wary of traffic, you'll definitely need to seek alternatives to get to where you need to go because while it may be easy to find a job in a big city like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, you'll likely only be able to find affordable housing and a place of your own in a smaller city/township just outside of the major areas, and not all of those smaller cities have adequate transit into the big city.

If you want affordable housing and a place to yourself, you'd best be looking to move to the East Coast, Southwestern Ontario or the Prairie Provinces, excluding Alberta as Alberta's housing/rental market tends to be pretty pricy as well. The downside though is that some of the Prairie Provinces have outdated transit and a lack of certain career fields, they're still primarily a farming, livestock, oil and forestry based economy. I'd say the East Coast; New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or PEI would probably be preferable to you as rent is cheap and both housing and transit are available, but the job market is still a bit narrower out east. I'd have recommended places just outside Toronto, like Hamilton, Oakville and Etobicoke, but due to the influx of population in Toronto, even those areas have seen rental prices and housing costs skyrocket some in recent years and getting to Toronto from the first two would be quite the commute.

My advice would be to start looking for career opportunities now as that is likely going to determine where you move to. The minute you touch down, begin the application process for permanent residency, the sooner you do, the sooner you'll get access to all of our Healthcare perks.

Really take your time, be sure to have a job offer and do your research before hand ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
No to dis on Canada but have you ever thought about west Little Rock Arkansas, Columbia South Carolina or Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg PA or Watertown NY all have great public transportation and are safe to live in I’ve lived in all of these areas

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and Poofybutt
Takashi said:
A large city or the outskirts of a city; like you don't live in the city but it's only a 10 minute bike ride away. For some reason Toronto is my first choice, but I like the idea of Vancouver and Calgary.
Be aware that in big cities, especially Toronto, housing, even small apartments, are extremely expensive

Reactions: Dlathrt
jasonm03 said:
No to dis on Canada but have you ever thought about west Little Rock Arkansas, Columbia South Carolina or Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg PA or Watertown NY all have great public transportation and are safe to live in I’ve lived in all of these areas

I agree with Jasonm03, try looking for career opportunities and an affordable place of residence in the US first.

Moving to another Country should only be approached after doing significant research and only if your quality of life is to improve drastically once there. There are plenty of affordable places to live within the US, however, I get the feeling that Canada's healthcare system may be what is enticing the OP here.

As a Canadian, I'd welcome anyone with open arms, but moving to Canada from the US is not as easy as moving to another city in the same state or even from state to state. You'll need to get the permanent residency and the career balls rolling before you hit the ground and you'll need to be strategical and well-researched first, don't just set your heart on the bigger cities ;)

Topex said:
Be aware that in big cities, especially Toronto, housing, even small apartments, are extremely expensive

As someone who is originally from Ontario, I agree with this 100%

As I outlined above, I lived in a small cubicle in downtown Toronto that I shared with 5 people, it was a nightmare and it cost me 1,300 a month. I barely had enough money for a full grocery list and diapers afterwards, not that I could even wear them what with 5 roommates :cautious:

I have a friend who lived with 3 others in a slummy neighbourhood on the outskirts of downtown Toronto and it was running him 1,250 a month, he just saved enough to move into his own apartment in Etobicoke and it didn't come cheap 😓

Last edited:
If I was to move to Canada I would be seeking asylum.

I don't drive either its very difficult but there are a lot of tricks to it and the main one is making sure where you are located is by some good stores and by anything else you enjoy. Of course you have to have a way to work rather that be public transportation, walking, or driving with a cowork. I have done all 3 and all of them work well.

Canada would be a bad place for you be bauae it is really spread out. You want to move to a city I live is slc and I enjoy it I live right in downtown right next to everything makes it very easy.

So my suggestion try to find a city where everything is condensed you may even like new York no one drives there so fit right in. I never thought in a million years I would live in slc I always hated when I visited as a kid. You never know what you will like Until you try it.

Driving is not something that bothers me I have probably driven over a million miles in my 20 plus years of driving and no I am not a truck driver. Where I have lived most of my life I have had to drive to get anywhere. My last job I was driving 500 miles a week and that was not including my driving to get things done. I generally put double the milage or more that one would put on a car in a years time.

Eons ago, there was a book on job hunting called " What Color Is Your Parachute?" Which was updated each year. It taught you how to view your skills and market them. Read that and others to learn how to market yourself. Instead of moving to another country, why not temporarily move in with a relative or friend in an area where jobs are plentiful? Find a good job and then a place to live close by. Your biggest problem is your health condition. Does it affect how you can work?

Seasonedcitizen said:
Eons ago, there was a book on job hunting called " What Color Is Your Parachute?" Which was updated each year. It taught you how to view your skills and market them. Read that and others to learn how to market yourself. Instead of moving to another country, why not temporarily move in with a relative or friend in an area where jobs are plentiful? Find a good job and then a place to live close by. Your biggest problem is your health condition. Does it affect how you can work?
If you are in reference to me. My only issue that I have is give Trump a few more years in office and I will not have access to healthcare. If my landlord don't like my lifestyle he would be able to kick me out. My work regardless if it's a right to work job or not could fire me. Basically all the protections that apply to a U.S. citizen would not apply to me. Without gender identity falling under the current status that it does I lose all my rights.

I think you have to be a Canadian citizen for 5 years to receive free medical insurance. For employment, Toronto would be the place to go but I would think you would have to have some specific skills and training to offer. I would look for a city in the U. S. that has good public transportation. Believe it or not, Lynchburg, VA has good public transportation. There are two universities and one college in Lynchburg proper as well, and they hire. Housing is much cheaper here than other cities which is one big reason my wife and I moved to Lynchburg.

dogboy said:
I think you have to be a Canadian citizen for 5 years to receive free medical insurance. For employment, Toronto would be the place to go but I would think you would have to have some specific skills and training to offer. I would look for a city in the U. S. that has good public transportation. Believe it or not, Lynchburg, VA has good public transportation. There are two universities and one college in Lynchburg proper as well, and they hire. Housing is much cheaper here than other cities which is one big reason my wife and I moved to Lynchburg.

You're a bit off on that. In order to be approved for citizenship you have to have permanent resident status and be living within Canada for approximately 4 years. You qualify to become an insured person i.e. capable of enjoying our universal healthcare benefits if you have lived in any province as a citizen or permanent resident for a total of 3-months, keep in mind permanent resident status is granted after 50+ days depending on how many people are pending approval before you. The time spent waiting for permanent residency status does not count towards the 3-month period required to qualify for healthcare.

If the OP were to make this move work, they would need to be getting the permanent residency process moving as we speak and have a proper job offer lined up. Once approved for permanent residency and after an additional 3-months, they could then apply and receive access to some of the benefits afforded to citizens and provincial insurance plans, keep in mind though that what the plan entails is completely dependent upon the Province.

Furthermore, Toronto may be a happening place with a good job market, but it is still a competitive job market. I don't know what kind of degree the OP has, but it would have to be equivalent or superior to what a Canadian resident applying for the same job possesses. Also, if you find a job in Toronto, good luck finding a place to yourself in the GTA for less than 2,000 a month in rent and utilities. As I said above, it is not uncommon for cramped, shared spaces to run 1,100 -1,300 dollars a month in Toronto. The best bet would be to find a place in a smaller city/locale outside of Toronto and commute in, but commuting isn't always easy :cautious:

I know full well that there are some rather affordable places to live in the US (I lived there myself for a time), more affordable than the big cities in Canada, so that's where I would be looking to relocate if I were fed up with whatever American city or State I was living in :)

The only way this move would be a success is if the permanent residency process was already in motion and a job had been lined up already.

Last edited:
Vancouver is pretty expensive. I haven't been to Toronto and have only been to Calgary once when I was a kid so I can't speak to either of those places. Vancouver does have good transit but I've also heard that things are spread out so it can take a long time to get to one place from another there. I will also say that I have a BA and am also currently working retail in Canada though part of that is also being a socially anxious person so networking seeming a bit scary and also my choice of degree could be a factor. Other people make good points about housing costs, citizenship and access to disability as well.

lilshelly said:
If you are in reference to me. My only issue that I have is give Trump a few more years in office and I will not have access to healthcare. If my landlord don't like my lifestyle he would be able to kick me out. My work regardless if it's a right to work job or not could fire me. Basically all the protections that apply to a U.S. citizen would not apply to me. Without gender identity falling under the current status that it does I lose all my rights.
The note was for Takashi.

Reactions: lilshelly
Thank you all for your input. Maybe some day I can get my own place in a city I actually want to live in, but who knows then that will be.

Reactions: Leaf12
Just a side note, certain medical issues can disqualify you from citizenship now in Canada. It seems we are becoming a bit more like New Zealand in that regard. For the time being Alberta is still suffering an economic downturn that may continue for a few more years. Calgary and Edmonton have been seeing a higher than normal jobless rate. Housing costs in both Vancouver and Toronto run quite high as others have noted.

Having friends in the U.S. has enlightened me to understand that both sides of the border has pluses and negatives. You may be able to find what you seeking closer to home and within a reasonable budget. It may to worthwhile for you to explore cities that have acceptable public transportation and a work-base that would fall into your area of education.

Topex said:
And Vancouver is even worse. I am thinking of relocating from Canada, because if our current PM remains in office, I truly believe Canada will go down like a sinking ship. I don't recomend Canada at all.

Last edited:
Back