Test Subject Update IV

OntInc

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Well into pre-breathing, with both full face mask and CPAP helmet/hoods. Started last night at 19:00, slept through the night, couple of diaper changes - we are using M4s.

Fitted today for undersuits and and drysuits, now resting and having vitals monitored.

Reactions: KrankyPants
You might have better luck posting these updates as new posts in your original thread. That way:
  • People who have hit "Watch" on your original thread will get alerts when there's a new post, rather than maybe happening to notice each new thread.
  • People who are noticing your posts on this subject for the first time will be able to read about it from the beginning, rather than having no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: TigerDL, reliablealter, tiny and 2 others
OntInc said:
Well into pre-breathing, with both full face mask and CPAP helmet/hoods. Started last night at 19:00, slept through the night, couple of diaper changes - we are using M4s.

Fitted today for undersuits and and drysuits, now resting and having vitals monitored.
I couldn't imagine sleeping with a CPAP hood, but I'm glad to hear you slept through the night! M4s are an interesting choice, but they're as mainstream of a medical diaper that you can get. I wonder if that is why they chose them, even if they necessitate multiple changes a night.

Yooo said:
I couldn't imagine sleeping with a CPAP hood, but I'm glad to hear you slept through the night! M4s are an interesting choice, but they're as mainstream of a medical diaper that you can get. I wonder if that is why they chose them, even if they necessitate multiple changes a night.
Yes I had some assistance last night with a change, all the wiring and CPAP hood made it interesting.

My gas SAT levels are at 25% today, tonight we will move in an iso tent where we can breathe without the CPAP hood

Update:

we will also be using the CPAP hoods in the iso tent

• Wow
OntInc said:
Yes I had some assistance last night with a change, all the wiring and CPAP hood made it interesting.

My gas SAT levels are at 25% today, tonight we will move in an iso tent where we can breathe without the CPAP hood

Can you translate for the DLs that are fascinated by this but don't really understand saturation diving practices? I have no idea if 25% saturation is good? Who assisted you with your diaper change? Can outside assistance step into the iso(lation?) tent to help with any needs?

Yooo said:

They may be doing diaper changes during the night as part of the protocol for this experiment, but there's nothing inherent about the particular diaper that would necessitate that. I've gotten an Abena M4 up to 2,204 ml / 75 fl oz, which puts it at third place among all of the medium diapers I've tested, and only about 10% below the first place entry.

I'm assuming we're talking about the Premium / cloth-backed, but I've had similar results with the Classic / plastic-backed. Here's what I know about this excellent diaper:

Abena Abri-Form Premium M4/L4 Brief (more photos and info at link)

fetch.php

fetch.php

fetch.php

Last edited:
iluvdps2 said:
Can you translate for the DLs that are fascinated by this but don't really understand saturation diving practices? I have no idea if 25% saturation is good? Who assisted you with your diaper change? Can outside assistance step into the iso(lation?) tent to help with any needs?
It means that the amount of gas level we are breathing is it 25% in our systems. Normally that's oxygen at 95-100%, accept here we are breathing a gas mix that is is replacing oxygen, and we are at 25% (so still at 70-75% oxygen). Tonight we should be up to 35%, and by end of day tomorrow 50-60%.

Diaper changes we were assisted by a technician, and I feel badly for him as two us had messed quite badly, twice today actually. For tonight, in the ISO tent, there are gloves and a "half suit" (waist-high and up) in the side walls that they can reach in and assist us with. One set of each above or alongside each of the subjects.

It's done in bed while we are all wired up, and yes we have the rectal thermometer in.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrankyPants and iluvdps2
This morning upto 35% level, by the sounds of things we will start testing in the water on Monday.

Diaper change while inside a plastic tent is weird at best.

Is this a normal time frame for saturation diving? How are you eating? (MREs?) Do you need to drink more or less water to stay hydrated given the abnormal atmosphere and its effects on evaporation?

iluvdps2 said:
Is this a normal time frame for saturation diving? How are you eating? (MREs?) Do you need to drink more or less water to stay hydrated given the abnormal atmosphere and its effects on evaporation?
It's not really normal sat diving, as we are doing this without pressure, just pre-breathing and essentially just having us only breathe this mix in place of normal air. To be honest I think SAT divers can build up "SAT" faster because they are under pressure.

The food is normal, and actually not bad. Eating in the Iso tent, we can unzip the CPAP hoods and eat. The clean up. We have a hydration line that runs into the hood so we can drink. Runs along side our umbilical's.

Point of the ISO tent is to keep us in a gas atmosphere, and to keep us clean.

Had our gas mix concentration increased at noon.

OntInc said:
Had our gas mix concentration increased at noon.
Can you feel the change in gas concentration? Does it make you feel fatigued to have O2 saturation lower than the standard 95%?

iluvdps2 said:
Can you feel the change in gas concentration? Does it make you feel fatigued to have O2 saturation lower than the standard 95%?
No, actually don't notice much, other than our breathing is a little more "deeper" and the air seems a little more thick.

we are now upto 50%

How do you manage typing and stuff while there? Are meals regular?

Reactions: lampkins
I was going to ask the same thing, how are you posting? What do you get to do to kill time? Is it like a small sealed room, do you have a laptop, books, things to do? Sounds like a very interesting experience, although not something I'd want to do myself.

• Love
Reactions: iluvdps2 and KrankyPants
lampkins said:
I was going to ask the same thing, how are you posting? What do you get to do to kill time? Is it like a small sealed room, do you have a laptop, books, things to do? Sounds like a very interesting experience, although not something I'd want to do myself.
High five! 👏😉

I find the saturation aspect of this almost more interesting than the fact that you're in a room with 3 other dudes wearing Abena M4's with a drinking hose attached to your face. Seems like a recipe for a "how fast can you fill your diaper" competition between a bunch of competitive guys. Regardless, the details on this whole setup are fascinating.

• Haha
Reactions: TigerDL, ThePaddedTurtle and KrankyPants
Yeah, it definitely is. I'm not sure if I forgot, but I wonder what the breathing gas saturation limit is. 🧐 The setup sounds very SCI-FI Channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: lampkins
Back