Successful camping trip

hbic60

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I’m just back from a 3 weeks round trip through south of Germany/Austria/Croatia; we own an (in Germany) very rare combination of a RAM 1500 pickup with a Swedish truck bed camper which guarantee a very good mobility and driving experience and a very comfortable camper box including toilet / shower and complete kitchen unit.

It was our second longer trip since my IC started, and again everything went very smooth and without any issues, and again it was a proof for me that being (urinary) IC does not limit me in any way to to anything we like to do during traveling. We visited beautiful cities (Regensburg, Heidelberg, Vienna, Split and many other smaller ones), made long bicycle tours up to nearly 100 km distance, some hiking, we had beautiful days at beaches in Croatia - never a failure of my diapers, no wet pants, nothing special happened. Of course we have enough space in the cab of our car also for my 3 weeks supply of diapers, disposing of the used ones in public or other regular bins (at campgrounds) was never any issue. We are always traveling around, usually staying max. 2 days at one place, many nights we stayed on RV parking areas and used our own campers bathroom, some nights we spent on official campgrounds using their facilities. Sometimes shower cabs there had enough space that you can uncloth in privacy, sometimes it were shared showers - never got any comments concerning my diapers…

So, yes, I’m looking forward to my retirement starting beginning of next year, and being able to travel even more and longer trips together with my wife!

• Love
Reactions: mirrored22, Edgewater, Traveler and 9 others
I love to camp/hiking. I wish I did more. I've done this when I rented a driving camper (with everything I needed). That was fun but I always feel like I was cheating with using a camper. Plus there are too many people. For the last camp site I went to Negwegon State Park on the east side of Michigan. I was lucky to register early and got one of the isolated 7 single sites. The area is a designated "dark sky preserve" with zero lights around. There are over 4,000 acres with plenty of hiking. I actually kayaked across Lake Huron (one of the "great lakes") until I found our site. I was there for a week and saw few people And it's completely rustic (no showers). I just used the lake for washing (a bit cool) with fresh lake water. Obviously we left nothing behind (garbage and my soiled diapers [wet and dirty]). I only hiked out every couple of days to empty everything near the parking area. So I didn't have to hike out at the end with a heavy backpack. We followed safety protocol (lifting the food higher in a tree - bears?). I went with one of my favorite friend (who knows my incontinence). I used my own personal tent and he used his own. I'm tying to register again this summer/early fall and this time I want to bring my girlfriend. She loves camping/hiking.

Reactions: Edgewater
hbic60 said:
I’m just back from a 3 weeks round trip through south of Germany/Austria/Croatia; we own an (in Germany) very rare combination of a RAM 1500 pickup with a Swedish truck bed camper which guarantee a very good mobility and driving experience and a very comfortable camper box including toilet / shower and complete kitchen unit.

It was our second longer trip since my IC started, and again everything went very smooth and without any issues, and again it was a proof for me that being (urinary) IC does not limit me in any way to to anything we like to do during traveling. We visited beautiful cities (Regensburg, Heidelberg, Vienna, Split and many other smaller ones), made long bicycle tours up to nearly 100 km distance, some hiking, we had beautiful days at beaches in Croatia - never a failure of my diapers, no wet pants, nothing special happened. Of course we have enough space in the cab of our car also for my 3 weeks supply of diapers, disposing of the used ones in public or other regular bins (at campgrounds) was never any issue. We are always traveling around, usually staying max. 2 days at one place, many nights we stayed on RV parking areas and used our own campers bathroom, some nights we spent on official campgrounds using their facilities. Sometimes shower cabs there had enough space that you can uncloth in privacy, sometimes it were shared showers - never got any comments concerning my diapers…

So, yes, I’m looking forward to my retirement starting beginning of next year, and being able to travel even more and longer trips together with my wife!
How very cool!
I don't think I'd ever try operating a vehicle in a foreign country (Aside from Canada, my neighbor), but to do so in that style?
Most of my driving is within the lower '48', and I spent many years touring across America.

hbic60 said:
Sometimes shower cabs there had enough space that you can uncloth in privacy, sometimes it were shared showers - never got any comments concerning my diapers…
By shared showers do you mean they were all one space with no privacy at all (i.e. no individual stalls with curtains/doors)?

I think thankfully in the US it's become rare to not have any privacy in showers, although it used to be more common 20+ years ago for them to all be a single room with no partitions. I've been doing a bit of camping starting last year, but mostly just one night car camping trips, so I have just not bothered to shower while I'm doing it so far, but at one of the campgrounds I've stayed at a couple times they have pretty decent looking showers that are individual stalls with locking doors, like toilet stalls but bigger, so there's actually a fair amount of privacy.

At other places like gyms in the US nowadays there are usually at least small individual shower stalls with curtains, so it's possible to wait until you're in the shower to take off your clothes, but it's a bit of a pain (e.g. to avoid getting your clothes wet you might need to take them off inside the stall, put them in a bag, and hang them from a hook outside the stall)

Also, in the US, at least around where I am, campgrounds for car camping or RVs tend to have dumpsters around for disposing of garbage, as well as trash cans, so it's actually one of the easiest places to dispose of diapers.

Backpacking camping would be a lot more complicated though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and uknappygirl
hbic60 said:
I’m just back from a 3 weeks round trip through south of Germany/Austria/Croatia; we own an (in Germany) very rare combination of a RAM 1500 pickup with a Swedish truck bed camper
Hi, i am very interest (as a camper) in your combination, could you tell me the exact model of bed camper you are using?

I'm happy to hear you had a good trip! xx

We camp all summer, well not really camping, we live on a boat and all of the trash gets put in trash cans at marinas. We have showers on board. All very comfortable indeed.

Driven in England, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Poland and of course Canada for business and Holiday. Great Lakes Sailboating both racing and cruising on all five lakes. Diapers were a reality in all cases.

Never was big into camping.

Last edited:
Pino said:
Hi, i am very interest (as a camper) in your combination, could you tell me the exact model of bed camper you are using?
Hi Pino, it‘s a“Nordstar 8S SE“, I got it at „Wohnkabinencenter“ in Gevelsberg…

Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
Back