Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 4 guest views remaining

Stupid repairs and maintenance

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: moorey, BobbiSueEllen, TrashPanda01 and 1 other person
LittleAndAlone said:
Classic. This is like a rite of passage.

View attachment 136083
Oh...I've been doing that for years. It's fair game in the wrenching world. 🥳🥳🥳🥰

You just can't do that in a Cessna, though...not enough room inside to swing your elbows, let alone a wrench. 🫢

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and LittleAndAlone
BobbiSueEllen said:
Oh...I've been doing that for years. It's fair game in the wrenching world. 🥳🥳🥳🥰

You just can't do that in a Cessna, though...not enough room inside to swing your elbows, let alone a wrench. 🫢
Hold my beer...

• Haha
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
Ever spend more time with all your swivels and extensions to get to an akward bolt out instead of just easily disassembling a prior assembly that's in the way just on principle? Sometimes it just becomes a personal vendetta. 🤣

Never surrender!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and BobbiSueEllen
LittleAndAlone said:
Ever spend more time with all your swivels and extensions to get to an akward bolt out instead of just easily disassembling a prior assembly that's in the way just in principle? Sometimes it's becomes a personal vendetta. 🤣
You've never pulled an engine/trans out of a Generation 1 Ford Taurus...or loosened a Honda Civic crank bolt. 🤯

Last edited:
  • Haha
BobbiSueEllen said:
You've never pulled an engine/trans out of a Generation 1 Ford Taurus...or loosenedva Honda Civic crank bolt. 🤯
Ive worked on a MR2 Turbo, I know how this game works. 🤣

1000012036.gif

I popped the crank supercharger pully "bolt" on a 03 Cobra with parking brake and a 10 foot pipe. Sounded like a gunshot. It's a recessed 14mm allen but the actual threaded part that goes into the inner pulley is like 2 inches in diameter with threadlocker. Sneaky little bastard.

1000012034.jpg

1000012033.jpg

I assume the Honda is automatic transmission, and engine rotation direction and bolt threads don't allow you to use the starter bump method and you need a SST that naturally there is no room for. ☠️🙄😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: moorey and PadPhilosopher
LittleAndAlone said:
Ive worked on a MR2 Turbo, I know how this game works. 🤣

View attachment 136092

I popped the crank supercharger pully "bolt" on a 03 Cobra with parking brake and a 10 foot pipe. Sounded like a gunshot. It's a recessed 14mm allen but the actual threaded part that goes into the inner pulley is like 2 inches in diameter with threadlocker. Sneaky little bastard.

View attachment 136090

View attachment 136091
Just like Honda with their <censored> crank-pulley bolt: my friend's stepdaughter had a '90 Civic wagon which blew a belt, bunged the valves. I ordered new valves, head swap kit, belt, etc.; got the head done, put it aside...gotta pull that pulley to get the belt cover off & belt on first. No dice the Nissan way...made a crank-damper-mounted crank-holding tool, bolted on...zip-puh. Called friend, he said "Put some heat and a cheater pipe to it!"...said friend arrived with a propane torch. After over an hour of fighting, I got the 1/2-inch breaker with 5-foot cheater pipe, 16-inch extension & 6-point socket ready, set up a jackstand to same height as that bolt head, 14 inches back. I put heat to that bold 'til the corners started glowing red! Pulled heat, instantly put on the wrench setup, torqued that wrench left...more, more, bounced on it, finally laid down on the cheater end & bounced...

SNAP!!!

I instantly fell flat to the ground: banged my head on the pipe, felt like I broke my ribs! Friend starting laughing hysterically...I wasn't.

Then "Oh, <censored>! I broke the bolt!!! We are so <censored>..." Crawled over, looked in...the bolt head was still there, my wrench setup was on the ground. Socket wasn't broken, neither was the setup. Grabbed the socket, put it on, turned left...I GOT IT!!! I let out a cowboy yell, turned that bolt off and that was that. Honda apparently uses grey threadlocker on the bolt...they dip that entire <censored> bolt in it, install & torque it wet. I hate Honda for that. But I got the job done...car ran great. The bolt: I wire-brushed the grey gunk off of it before reinstalling, put it almost all the way in, put two small dots of red threadlocker on the threads of the bolt nearest the crank nose, turned & torqued it. No probs!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Ah yes when you are pulling so hard you have to brace your leg or arm pit something against the pipe or push-pull with both hands on opposite sides as a counter brake so you don't end up in Journey to the Center of the Earth or cut the doghouse off the car when it lets go. 🤭

I had so many blankets and empty cardboard box crush zones and stuff between the fender and that pipe that day. 😅

But remember when I said I always use proper tools? I went and got a brand new Snap On 14mm stubby allen bit. Didn't want any cheap out of spec crap or tolerance stacking or flexing or worn out bit on that. Round off the inside of that recess and it's just fuggin over.

Take you forever to get it off (probably have to machine it out with EDM) and have to replace the whole assembly. Which is pretty much a one off assembly you're only getting from someone parting out a totalled car, or someone who installed an adjustable pulley setup. Which I dont like because that is a long crank snout with no end support without that OE style bracket. The pulley is on a bearing and takes all the supercharger load through that bracket and all the crank has to do is spin it not support cantilevered shock loads against that front bearing and main seal etc.

LOL I always laughed at Mad Max suddenly "turning on" that presumebly bypassed and stationary 6-71 blower on demand and just bringing it up to RPM instantly. 🫢 That's not how inertia and metal fatigue works. That's not how any of this works. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
I have soinc screwdriver lol u guys lost dont get tech

• Thinking
Reactions: artemisenterri and BobbiSueEllen
u guys lost me all ik is press the button it works

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
I honestly don't know what bugs me worse, shoddy repair work or cheap/inferior quality parts. When I was an auto mechanic I saw a whole lot of both! Working on semi trucks not so much outside of the occasional horrendously bad electrical repair jobs. I firmly believe there are some people who should not be allowed to own or use hand tools.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, BobbiSueEllen, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
You would think, but when two idiots have sex, DNA doubles the effect and as a result stupid stuff happens every more often!!
Isn't that the basic back-story from the movie Idiocracy?

• Haha
  • Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, BobbiSueEllen, LittleAndAlone and 1 other person
Lilschoolfox said:
I have soinc screwdriver lol u guys lost dont get tech
Was it made from spoons?

• Thinking
KenworthW900b said:
I honestly don't know what bugs me worse, shoddy repair work or cheap/inferior quality parts. When I was an auto mechanic I saw a whole lot of both! Working on semi trucks not so much outside of the occasional horrendously bad electrical repair jobs. I firmly believe there are some people who should not be allowed to own or use hand tools.
And then you get idiots who tap into the cigarette lighter circuit to install a stereo. All the cars I've seen with that shoddy setup also frequently triggered the Check Engine light...lots of cars have their OBD-II power circuits on the cig lighter circuit. 🤬 I undid 'em...prob solved.

• Haha
Reactions: KenworthW900b and PadPhilosopher
BobbiSueEllen said:
And then you get idiots who tap into the cigarette lighter circuit to install a stereo. All the cars I've seen with that shoddy setup also frequently triggered the Check Engine light...lots of cars have their OBD-II power circuits on the cig lighter circuit. 🤬 I undid 'em...prob solved.

1000012040.jpg
1000012041.jpg

I want to slap anyone who cuts into and butchers a OE harness. Run your own fuse+relay block, and you'll have enough places to add things for the rest of your life and it's all reversible for the next poor sucker who inherents it.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
Wire-taps are last-ditch, best used for hooking up trailer-light pigtails to rear-vehicle lighting...and inspected regularly. For all else: I look for vacant fuse spots on the fuse box...or wire in a new fuse panel. 🥳

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks, PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and 1 other person
Back