Should Cyclists wear diapers?

Chinababy888

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I was wondering lately given the current covid-19 pandemic whether or not cyclists should start wearing diapers to prevent any embarrasing visits to bushes or worse unhyginic toilets?

I started wondering this because I am a keen cyclist and have worn one on past occasions and thought how nice it felt but at the same time wondered if I am the only one who thinks this way.

I know this was touched on in a earlier blog or reply by another person which is no longer ba able to take future replies.

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888.

Why would they even think of it in the first place?

Reactions: Lyokodl
PCBaby said:
Why would they even think of it in the first place?
Well, I don’t suppose your average cyclist would (unless they happened to be a DL already.
As there is a suggestion that the virus may be able to spread through faecal matter and there is certainly evidence that it can transmit via cisterns and toilet door handles, personally I would be a strong advocate of encouraging people to wet a nappy instead of going to the toilet while in public for the foreseeable.
But as it is a taboo topic for most don’t expect to see any government policies to that effect anytime soon.

well most men are pointers not sitters so having a wee isn't a problem, it can be done just about anywhere that is convenient (no pun intended). Pro cyclists that tak epart in the likes of the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France quite often do it while still cycling!!!!

PCBaby said:
well most men are pointers not sitters so having a wee isn't a problem, it can be done just about anywhere that is convenient (no pun intended). Pro cyclists that tak epart in the likes of the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France quite often do it while still cycling!!!!
Sure, I’m not really sure why the OP thought that cyclists would be at particular risk myself, but on a wider scope, such as in shops etc I think there is probably something in it.
There is resistance to masks in Western countries and in the toilet environment, nappies could somewhat mitigate the same risks.

Umm...wouldn't everything squish out? 😲

I don't wear diapers when cycling even when there's not a pandemic going on. I do sometimes leak some urine, but in general my saddle puts enough pressure on my urethra to prevent much from leaking. And I don't find taking a "natural break" to be particularly unhygienic. I do put a small bottle of sanitizer in my jersey pocket, though.

Meanwhile, with sweat and movement, I can't imagine that the padding in a diaper would hold up well.

Reactions: RedPandaDL and BobbiSueEllen
This was me after cycling glad I was wearing a abu simole ultra diaper as I obviously needed it.

Still dry and comfortable not least thanks due to the fact these can soak up to 6,500mls of fluids which is good to know because other brands have let me down in the past.

Attachments

• 15908545151325037243062997826016.jpg
    15908545151325037243062997826016.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 15908545367738869268334138939132.jpg
    15908545367738869268334138939132.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
BabyFee said:
There is resistance to masks in Western countries...
For a good reason. Masks only work when an ill person is wearing one. A mask is like a diaper: it contains your own effluence, not that of another.

Reactions: Lyokodl and RedPandaDL
BobbiSueEllen said:
For a good reason. Masks only work when an ill person is wearing one. A mask is like a diaper: it contains your own effluence, not that of another.
Which is great, except of course that a significant minority are asymptomatic and of the rest, a significant proportion don’t develop symptoms until days in - so therefore those people who might be able to protect others by wearing masks (or diapers cannot be identified.

It’s a bit like saying I won’t wear a helmet while cycling because It only protects people who fall off their bike - you don’t know that it is you until it happens. So, in the context of the OP, the cyclist doesn’t know if the tree he is relieving himself behind, has been recently touched by an infected person, do diapers in this instance would be to eliminate that risk.

BabyFee said:
Which is great, except of course that a significant minority are asymptomatic and of the rest, a significant proportion don’t develop symptoms until days in - so therefore those people who might be able to protect others by wearing masks (or diapers cannot be identified.

It’s a bit like saying I won’t wear a helmet while cycling because It only protects people who fall off their bike - you don’t know that it is you until it happens. So, in the context of the OP, the cyclist doesn’t know if the tree he is relieving himself behind, has been recently touched by an infected person, do diapers in this instance would be to eliminate that risk.
One big issue masks fail to cover: your eyes are exposed. A carrying person talking to you can breathe in your general direction, your eyes will pick up the virus and that's that. Any doc or medical professional will tell you this. The only way to bolster your protection is to add eye protection to the mask.

A
BobbiSueEllen said:
One big issue masks fail to cover: your eyes are exposed. A carrying person talking to you can breathe in your general direction, your eyes will pick up the virus and that's that. Any doc or medical professional will tell you this. The only way to bolster your protection is to add eye protection to the mask.
And therefore diaper protection to your rear end?

I think some professional cyclists do indeed use nappies during lengthy races.

For me, a bulky nappy is the best thing when cycling because bike seats can be uncomfortable if you’re on them for long.

A well-fitted saddle should only be uncomfortable for the first week you start riding. If I don't ride for a couple of months (which sadly does happen) it takes a week for my bottom to get used to the saddle again.

A Brooks or Ideal saddle will be uncomfortable for several weeks while it's breaking in, them it'll be supremely comfortable. Unfortunately, I keep breaking nose bolts on my Brooks, so I'm using a lesser saddle now.

If you watch the TdF, you'll occasionally see a helicopter shot of a bunch of riders stopping to pee, which is called a natural break. Sometimes half the peleton seems to stop, but they want to stop in a group so they have other riders around then too help catch the peleton when they're done.

Go watch a full stage of tour the France closely. 100% chance of seeing a guy peeing somewhere on the side of the road or even while riding the bike. TV always tries to completely conceal that. Racers do that when the pace is down. While the bunch is taking it easy. In the worst case? You can always wet your shorts. They do that on the cold days sometimes :p

Cycling shorts with chamois are not designed to be worn with any kind of underwear. Once you put something else between your butt and these shorts - it totally destroys the whole idea. Cycling clothes are there to gather your sweat and prevent chafing. You want to avoid bacterial infections at all costs. Having a pimple in crotch area can be a real hindrance to a cyclist. I’m not a pro and it still shut me down for months.

It’s okay to wear diapers for occasional cycling. If you really train and push yourself for hours on the bike? Nope. Wetting a diaper on a bike is okay. I tried that, but I got red spots all over my inner legs from the diaper rubbing on them.

The only thing I’d try are absorbent protectors. You can place them away from your butt or your tights and use them when you really need to go and you cannot stop riding. Pro cyclists would rather take their penis out of the shorts and pee while riding xD

Last edited:
Back