Plushies and when to retire them

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
How do you feel about retiring an old plushie?
What makes you feel it’s time to retire them?
Do you wash them or clean with rubbing alcohol to make them last longer?

Personally I retire them before they start to have thread issues. I wash them for a final time and dry very thoroughly and use rubbing alcohol for spot clenching. After that they will be put in a plastic tub in a safe dry place with moisture absorbing packets.
Its kind of sad and similar to a funeral. I’m happy they spent time with me making me sleep better. When I open the box next time it’s easier because they’re parts of my life I can reminisce.

I don't remember retiring one, unless it was broken beyond repair and even then, I'll prefer to fix it. That said, it'll happen that I'm drawn by a "new" one and that I'll consider switching. For example, I've had a cow, for a few years, that I saved from being thrown away because it was broken beyond the point where the store could still sell it. That said, I've been looking at a giant weighted bunny for a few months, now. Truth be told, though, I'm more and more looking into a combination of those criteria, when I get a new plush:
  • Refillable (makes it easier to clean, since you can empty it, and it gives a lot of flexibility of filling options and density)
  • Weighted (I realized I really find soothing the weight of some of them)
I must admit I haven't given much thought into washing the cow, beyond the external fabric, with soft soap and water … Though. I rarely spend the whole night hugging the plush, so getting it dirty is not as much of a concern, having a dakimakura (a giant pillow) that fills that role and has a dedicated cover that can be washed and replaced at will.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and IcyBlue
We wash and repair our plushies on a regular basis. And the ones that just aren't getting enough attention we give away at furry cons to others, because we know furries will take good care of them! :3

I've had my teddy bear for over a year and a half now. He definitely doesn't look new anymore, but he's in very good shape considering I sleep with him every night. I know he's going to wear out eventually though. The thought of throwing him out makes me a tiny bit sad, but I think I decided I'm not going to keep him once he gets too worn. I'll probably buy a few more of the same one to keep around unopened so I can replace him with an identical new one.

Reactions: IcyBlue
I have a sock monkey that one of my grandmother's co-workers made and gave to my mother at my baby shower. She wasn't my favorite, but somehow she didn't go to charity when all the others did; and they found her in my grandmother's house. I have her now. She's wearing a dress, so she's always been Mrs. Monkey.

I've got a cuddly dragon that comforts me at night time and sure, he doesn't look 'new' anymore, but he is well looked after. In a way, I like that his fur has that look as it show's he's been well loved. To keep him in the best condition possible, I sometimes sleep with a different plushy (a lion) instead.

But the long and the sort of it is, if he needed repairing, I would make sure I got him repaired. I could never, ever, bring myself to ever get rid of him. He's just too special and my little side would be in floods of tears if that happened. Plushies are important. They're not simply disposable and one is not like any other. The closest I'd come to 'retiring' him is maybe if he was really worn or falling apart. In that case, I'd make sure he got repaired and then only have him at night when I really needed him, but I'm always going to have him close by even for a quick cuddle to cheer up my little side. I think 'retiring' sounds a bit too final. Maybe just 'putting them on lighter duties' is better fit for me as there really is no way I could give him up as my little side would always still want him.

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret, EmX, PaddedRita and 4 others
You could always retire a beloved plushie to a shelf in your bedroom and look for something new,

• Thinking
Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooo! Woolly lasts forever.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, IcyBlue, TaoHeart and 1 other person
I know it’s a bit sad but I have put a few older ones out on the shelf. I feel they maybe getting beyond cleaning another time past this without damaging them.
I have been getting a few new ones lately and they'll comfort me a little.
It’s a hard decision but it’s for the best 😿

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Its always so sad moment when you have to put your little plushie stuffy into internal rest 😢 !

• Sad
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
IcyBlue said:
I know it’s a bit sad but I have put a few older ones out on the shelf. I feel they maybe getting beyond cleaning another time past this without damaging them.
I have been getting a few new ones lately and they'll comfort me a little.
It’s a hard decision but it’s for the best 😿
No no no no no no no no no. I’m not listening no no no no no no!

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, IcyBlue, BenNevis and 1 other person
I think mine would have to be coming apart before I could part with them. My wife gave me all of them.

• Thinking
Reactions: foxkits, BobbiSueEllen, IcyBlue and 3 others
Half of mine are so loved and matted. They've been washed dozens of times. I have several that are over 20 years old that I still snuggle with nightly, and are still my all time cuddling favorites. I probably have at least 8 that I sleep with nightly, and they most all get turns being cuddled at night. The odd one will fall off the bed and require rescuing in the morning.

Reactions: foxkits, BobbiSueEllen, IcyBlue and 2 others
Oh my goodness the thought of retiring a plushie is devastating to me. I’ve had my favourite plushie since I was a child (about 25 years) and sleep with him pretty much every night. His fur is matted and has needed a couple of reinforcement stitches to his limbs a few times but no other plushie feels the same or gives me the same instant comfort, I would never swap him out for another. He will only retire to a box when I do and join me in my coffin!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EmX, PaddedRita, BobbiSueEllen and 3 others
Bonnie is my world! She is better to me than a wife...I love her to no end. And I know she loves me. How could I just retire or replace her? Ever? She's my love. That says enough, doesn't it? 🤗🥰🧸

• Love
Reactions: BenNevis, PaddedRita, PaigeCherubiel and 1 other person
I've got a Teddy called Rupert that was bought for me when I stayed in hospital for a week when I was 5 years old. He'll be 33 this year and is still in pretty good condition. He's had a few repairs over years and is a lot flatter than he used to be due to constant cuddles and me falling asleep and rolling on top of him. He'll never get retired or replaced. He's only ever been hand washed and hung out to dry naturally and when I was a child my Mum used to make new clothes for him every so often. He even had his own little nappy so he could wear one when I had to 😊

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tommy10, ItsTimmyTime, BobbiSueEllen and 3 others
Back