Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
Afternoon all,

I have a quick question for those that we are at night. Generally speaking I wear either an abena m4 or a northshore supreme to bed every night. Both diaper fit me well and I don’t generally suffer from any leaks. However, I have noticed on occasion that I am woken up by a pain on my penis. More specifically a pain directly on the top side of my shaft which is contacting my diaper while I am pointed down. I don’t notice those during the day or when I awake flaccid or semi hard. It only happens when I am mostly or fully erect. I have notice that this also occurs more in my abenas than my northshores possibly due to the fit and room for my package. Any one experience this or have any idea what this might be? And if so, any ideas on how to fix it.
Thanks y’all!

Only thing I can suggest is pointing "up". I know it more possible to leak around the waist band which sounds counter-productive,but atleast it'll get rid of the pain during the night.

Reactions: ElPulpo and littledub1955
I just kinda adjust mine around as I can if it causes discomfort, That the ones you wear being thing doesn't really much help either, I'm usually laying on my back or side so it doesn't bother me as much so before you point up (And potentially create disaster lol) Try just adjusting a time or two see how that works

Reactions: littledub1955
MakABDL said:
I just kinda adjust mine around as I can if it causes discomfort, That the ones you wear being thing doesn't really much help either, I'm usually laying on my back or side so it doesn't bother me as much so before you point up (And potentially create disaster lol) Try just adjusting a time or two see how that works
Is it just discomfort or kinda like a burning or stinging pain? Again it doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it usually wakes me up and won’t resolve u till I point up or can cook things down a little.

nightfox320 said:
Is it just discomfort or kinda like a burning or stinging pain? Again it doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it usually wakes me up and won’t resolve u till I point up or can cook things down a little.
Burning? could you be having a reaction to the Abenas? They are made of a different material than Northshore maybe your skin is irritated by it or whatever you use during the diapering process.

MakABDL said:
Burning? could you be having a reaction to the Abenas? They are made of a different material than Northshore maybe your skin is irritated by it or whatever you use during the diapering process.
Hmm maybe that’s a possibility. I may just have to give it another week and see what happens. I do know that I have no visible rash or irritation. Just the pain when I wake up or am woken up. I hope it’s not a reaction seeing as I just bought a case of m4 for the next month lol.

nightfox320 said:
Hmm maybe that’s a possibility. I may just have to give it another week and see what happens. I do know that I have no visible rash or irritation. Just the pain when I wake up or am woken up. I hope it’s not a reaction seeing as I just bought a case of m4 for the next month lol.
Yeah it's a possibility.

If you use creams or anything try to refrain from getting any inside the hole. I man a number of things could cause it, I just wouldn't sleep in those diapers if They are the cause, Normal day wear would be alright though.

MakABDL said:
Yeah it's a possibility.

If you use creams or anything try to refrain from getting any inside the hole. I man a number of things could cause it, I just wouldn't sleep in those diapers if They are the cause, Normal day wear would be alright though.
Never had problem with stuff getting into the hole but doesn’t sound pleasant. And yeah it’s just so weird I can wear an abena all day with no problem but at night I’m getting these issues ugh.

I’ve experienced this, it was a distinct burning pain. I am not sure exactly what causes it, but most of the time I ensure to leave enough wiggle room around that area when putting a diaper on. Usually, mine points downwards and slightly to the side by default.

Hey. The way you're describing it, I'm not sure about the location of the pain, i.e. whether it's deep (like muscle pain) or superficial (like skin irritation).

If it's superficial — which it sounds less like from your description — I would be inclined to assume it is skin irritation, and that it is a reaction either to chemicals in the diaper to which you might be allergic, or to substances in your pee which this specific brand of diaper might for some reason be failing to adequately lock in. In either case, I would probably recommend switching diaper brands and using more protective products, such as baby lotion or a barrier cream, on your penis.

However, you mentioned that it only happens when you are mostly or fully erect. That plus other contextual clues give me the impression that you're describing deep pain. If so, I would be inclined to suggest it's lactic acid buildup secondary to nocturnal penile tumescence. You are probably getting hard 3 to 5 times per night (Thase et al., 1988), during which your penis is, in effect, trying to point upward. If it's pointed down, or "tucked" if you like, it can't do that, meaning there will be strain on the suspensory ligament of penis (Hoznek et al., 1998) until the erection subsides. After a couple of cycles of that the ligament has had enough and is sending pain signals in protest that are strong enough to wake you up.

My immediate suggestion would be that you do up your inner diaper slightly looser to minimise strain on the ligament and, if necessary, allow your penis to become untucked. You could compensate for this by adding an extra layer of diapering that completely covers your diaper, ideally a cloth diaper and plastic pants, so that if your penis ends up pointing upward there's still padding above 'upward' to catch it.

References
Hoznek, A., Rahmouni, A., Abbou, C., Delmas, V., & Colombel, M. (1998, November). The suspensory ligament of the penis: An anatomic and radiologic description. Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy, 20, 413-417. doi:10.1007/BF01653133.

Thase, M.E., Reynolds, C.F., Jennings, J.R., Frank, E., Howell, J.R., ... & Kupfer, D.J. (1988, May 1). Nocturnal penile tumescence is diminished in depressed men. Biological Psychiatry, 24(1), 33-46. doi:10.1016/0006-3223(88)90119-9.

Reactions: nightfox320
Kaliborio said:
Hey. The way you're describing it, I'm not sure about the location of the pain, i.e. whether it's deep (like muscle pain) or superficial (like skin irritation).

If it's superficial — which it sounds less like from your description — I would be inclined to assume it is skin irritation, and that it is a reaction either to chemicals in the diaper to which you might be allergic, or to substances in your pee which this specific brand of diaper might for some reason be failing to adequately lock in. In either case, I would probably recommend switching diaper brands and using more protective products, such as baby lotion or a barrier cream, on your penis.

However, you mentioned that it only happens when you are mostly or fully erect. That plus other contextual clues give me the impression that you're describing deep pain. If so, I would be inclined to suggest it's lactic acid buildup secondary to nocturnal penile tumescence. You are probably getting hard 3 to 5 times per night (Thase et al., 1988), during which your penis is, in effect, trying to point upward. If it's pointed down, or "tucked" if you like, it can't do that, meaning there will be strain on the suspensory ligament of penis (Hoznek et al., 1998) until the erection subsides. After a couple of cycles of that the ligament has had enough and is sending pain signals in protest that are strong enough to wake you up.

My immediate suggestion would be that you do up your inner diaper slightly looser to minimise strain on the ligament and, if necessary, allow your penis to become untucked. You could compensate for this by adding an extra layer of diapering that completely covers your diaper, ideally a cloth diaper and plastic pants, so that if your penis ends up pointing upward there's still padding above 'upward' to catch it.

References
Hoznek, A., Rahmouni, A., Abbou, C., Delmas, V., & Colombel, M. (1998, November). The suspensory ligament of the penis: An anatomic and radiologic description. Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy, 20, 413-417. doi:10.1007/BF01653133.

Thase, M.E., Reynolds, C.F., Jennings, J.R., Frank, E., Howell, J.R., ... & Kupfer, D.J. (1988, May 1). Nocturnal penile tumescence is diminished in depressed men. Biological Psychiatry, 24(1), 33-46. doi:10.1016/0006-3223(88)90119-9.
Wow thanks for the information! That actually makes a lot of sense. I wore a northshore supreme to bed last night and didn’t really experience any problems. I may just need to give it a few days and pay specific attention to the pain to ensure it is in face not skin related. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can find what works for me soon!

You should try changing your taping strategy. Specifically, loosen your lower tapes a bit, maybe direct them down at an angle rather than straight toward each other or upward. Try to create a relaxed "pouch" in the front that's not pressing down on your penis.

Reactions: nightfox320
I’ve had superficial pains before too. I cannot point up, I’ve tried and it just isn’t comfy

Back