My experience going 24-7 is it for you? Tips tricks ?

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Been 24-7 for several years due to UIC and severe IBS. Used to try like hell to make it to a R.R. (restroom) ofton I wouldn't make it and it was devastating on my mental health as things progressed on both fronts I'd make it less and less, now when I was mainly UIC this didn't bother me as I've worn diapers on and off for urinary issues all my life ...granted when I was younger it wasn't very often. But the older I've gotten the worse it has become. When I was younger even though it was embarrassing part of me kinda liked being in diapers...the feeling of them not having to run to the r.r. I ofton as a child would play my symptoms up to stay in diapers longer but the novelty would wear off after a while.
One thing that I remember is seeing my Jr high crush/friend in a soaked goodnight....she was someone I confided in .. and after talking to her I didn't feel as embarrassed and I was more accepting of it .
As time marched on as it always does my symptoms and Incontinence would inevitably get worse year after year ...so would the pain. I have worn diapers a lot and went for months at a time in diapers dealing with oab, interstitial systitus, constant infections, kidney stones and male pelvic floor disorder. Dealing with wetting had some embarrassing times but with diapers it wasn't a big deal and emotionally it wasn't too bad ..once in a while it would get in my head but for the most part some powder and barrier cream and a decent diaper and some Gary wear diaper covers and It was all good. For me when my urologist suggested diapers as a method of managing my accidents even though I had been wearing for years ..it made the mental side easier to deal with ..and some days I was actually quite happy to be in diapers. Then as things progressed I started having #2 accidents mainly when I'll or when diarrhea would strike ...I talked to a gastroenterologist and they quickly attributed it to the pelvic floor. I tried to explain the stomach pain and such I would occasionally get and the intensive urge that followed but it was fairly manageable. In the years that followed things progressed I noticed that eating was a gamble and would quite often create problems. I would find myself running for a bathroom with extremely bad stomach cramping and gut pain and frequently I'd get to a bathroom and lose the battle right next to the toilet. Now the urinary stuff did bother me mentally a smidge from time to time but the IBS was a whole different game. I pulled away from life all together. And the depression and anxiety was unreal. It was a dark period in my life. I could go off in all the negative experiences and things but I started figuring things out. Now I'm not going to go into managing IBS because everyone is different I will say dealing with it has been and will continue to be a huge mental game ..if I'm honest the shame and embarrassment I have withstood and the mental challenges of public accidents and such and the feelings of failure when unable to get to a bathroom we're awful mentally I because overwhelmed and have fought with depression and suicidal thoughts and idealization because of the pain and constant accidents and humiliation and so I'm going to talk about managing the effects and mental side of things because that's really what this post is about. First you are not alone and seeking help here is very helpful physically and mentally, but as far as dealing with it goes I have adopted a live first and be happy approach ..at least I try so what I have found is wear a diaper with tall standing leak guards ...plastic backed as it keeps in odor back this up with a pair of non breathable plastic or rubber pants ...if there tight enough over everything so much the better ...use a good barrier cream..rashes suck onsies are awesome they help hold everything in place...use a internal deodorant chlorophyll tablets are a god send as less odor means less noticeable.... Keep a emergency bag with clothes diapers wipes shirts sock and shoes....believe me on the shoes part no need t explain it Now that's the easy part ...the hard part is if a accident happens try to act normally and just quietly sneak away to deal with it. Don't get anxious and upset as that will get noticed just smile and melt away. Don't worry about people noticing your diaper there more worried about there own lives and bullshit to notice your undergarments..if by some chance they do simply say it's not something you want to talk about. The mental side is by far the hardest to handle and truthfully I still struggle if anyone has answers to that side I'd like to hear it. Best thing I have done is to make time at home to enjoy foods and drinks and stuff that I know are a no no. Simply put I'll take a weekend and "take a day or weekend off" which is to say a time where I just relax and there is no expectations of using a restroom and can enjoy the simple things like a cup of coffee..... As time has passed I have been more chill about accidents in public and things but having the things to deal with those situations makes a big difference.
So what do you do to deal with it ...what makes it easier and how do you deal with the mental health issues? Any advice or ideas are very welcome so what's your take ?

Hi Raven801. I appreciate your experiences and advice here. I am now in my third year of IC, and while I'm mostly U-IC, I've had a few F-IC accidents over that time. Anything more than zero occurrences is too many for me! So far, they have all occurred at home (in the driveway or entering the house), so no public embarrassment so far.

I have been able to keep my IBS-d limited by avoiding certain foods/drinks so far. With summer approaching, I'll be away from home for hours at a time more often (I attend stock car races). I do need to prepare an emergency bag. I do take deodorant chlorophyll tablets, which has proved helpful in past accidents. I've also recently ordered some onsies, which I've avoided so far. With the need for plastic pants in public for F-IC protection, it is high time for a T-shirt that does not come un-tucked.

The mental aspect is the most troubling side of my IC because most of my days pass with no "emergencies". Daily, if I stay ahead of my bladder with the toilet, there is no cause for concern. Yet, when I least expect it, I can get careless and require use of my protection. I shamelessly wear overnight diapers so that when I do have the odd wetting in my sleep, that the bed stays dry. I otherwise use them and go back to sleep. It's taken some time to accept my need for them at night (I sometimes feel doubt in the morning).

After being continent my entire life, this IC thing has certainly had a humbling effect, with it starting in my mid-60s. It's not the way I expected my retirement to be! I seldom get depressed but IC can get you down if you think about it too much. I think it's not the IC so much as the stigma and guilt that we deal with. The stigma forces us to maintain secret lives apart from our immediate family. Even then, family doesn't fully understand all that we have to be concerned with, with planning etc. Nobody wants to talk about it.

Yes, there are days that I indulge in my black coffee (and consequently plan to stay home). But that's when things come up and you're forced to put yourself "out there" and leave the comfort of home (and toilet). So as time goes on, I need to take fewer chances going out, by wearing premium diapers, plastic pants and a onesie instead of trying to get by on the cheap.

Mentally, we have to grow some thick skin. Life is not fair (I may lose my eyesight someday) so we just have to suck it up and persevere. Anyone else dealing with the IC issues that we deal with would wear the same protections, so don't feel guilty about it.

At least, that is where I am at, for now.

Reactions: Raven801
slimjiminy said:
Hi Raven801. I appreciate your experiences and advice here. I am now in my third year of IC, and while I'm mostly U-IC, I've had a few F-IC accidents over that time. Anything more than zero occurrences is too many for me! So far, they have all occurred at home (in the driveway or entering the house), so no public embarrassment so far.

I have been able to keep my IBS-d limited by avoiding certain foods/drinks so far. With summer approaching, I'll be away from home for hours at a time more often (I attend stock car races). I do need to prepare an emergency bag. I do take deodorant chlorophyll tablets, which has proved helpful in past accidents. I've also recently ordered some onsies, which I've avoided so far. With the need for plastic pants in public for F-IC protection, it is high time for a T-shirt that does not come un-tucked.

The mental aspect is the most troubling side of my IC because most of my days pass with no "emergencies". Daily, if I stay ahead of my bladder with the toilet, there is no cause for concern. Yet, when I least expect it, I can get careless and require use of my protection. I shamelessly wear overnight diapers so that when I do have the odd wetting in my sleep, that the bed stays dry. I otherwise use them and go back to sleep. It's taken some time to accept my need for them at night (I sometimes feel doubt in the morning).

After being continent my entire life, this IC thing has certainly had a humbling effect, with it starting in my mid-60s. It's not the way I expected my retirement to be! I seldom get depressed but IC can get you down if you think about it too much. I think it's not the IC so much as the stigma and guilt that we deal with. The stigma forces us to maintain secret lives apart from our immediate family. Even then, family doesn't fully understand all that we have to be concerned with, with planning etc. Nobody wants to talk about it.

Yes, there are days that I indulge in my black coffee (and consequently plan to stay home). But that's when things come up and you're forced to put yourself "out there" and leave the comfort of home (and toilet). So as time goes on, I need to take fewer chances going out, by wearing premium diapers, plastic pants and a onesie instead of trying to get by on the cheap.

Mentally, we have to grow some thick skin. Life is not fair (I may lose my eyesight someday) so we just have to suck it up and persevere. Anyone else dealing with the IC issues that we deal with would wear the same protections, so don't feel guilty about it.

At least, that is where I am at, for now.
Sounds like your kinda where I was about 5 years ago..I mainly wore to bed that and during illness and infection or if I knew I'd be a fair distance from a bathroom. Unfortunately it really didn't take long for me to go from managing it with restroom stops and wearing protection for just in case ....to the inability to do anything anytime without protection...and then after a few years of that I got COVID and my IBS went to the moon and never chilled out. If it wasn't for diapers I'd live on a porcelain throne 24-7 and yeah no thanks..... Does sound like your handling the mental side way better than I am I suppose. .hats off to you for that. On really bad pain days I struggle quite badly but I'm surviving 🙂 thanks for the response have a good one bud 🤙

Reactions: Ceary and slimjiminy
Back