Mozart

GeorgeG said:
Nice. What is a finger piano? A miniature?
I couldn't think of the name of it yesterday.

Its called a Kalimba

Reactions: GeorgeG, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
artemisenterri said:
Here's a good mix of clips...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Edgewater
Very nice - a lot of my favourites, Thank you.
GeorgeG said:
Hi, does anybody like Mozart and Rembrandt? Or opera?
Definitely! Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Puccini, Donizetti ..... and many others too

Reactions: GeorgeG, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
greatlake5 said:
I love this. But there is listening in front of an orchestra "live" is...beautiful. It gives me chills.
I agree. Nothing like being in front of an orchestra, or a live opera

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
And Respighi, the composer who taught the cinema how to do it!

Oh, and that is a student orchestra! An amazing one....

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and greatlake5
artemisenterri said:
I have seen Fourth of July festivals where the city's professional orchestra played 1812 with timed firework launches to represent the cannons...

And every year the Boston Pops does a Fourth of July concert with a real howitzer...

FYI: That would be with a minimum of three howitzers!!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: artemisenterri and PadPhilosopher
PadPhilosopher said:
I am also a big consumer of real.... Err, "classical" music. 😉
I have been a very long time lover of "real music"!!! :love:
Started in Elementary School and has never diminished!

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I got Classic FM in my feed one day and I enjoyed the music until it suddenly stopped appearing. I appreciate people playing vintage instruments well.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Seasonedcitizen said:
I got Classic FM in my feed one day and I enjoyed the music until it suddenly stopped appearing. I appreciate people playing vintage instruments well.
Many of those period instruments are replicas, because there are only so many originals and they are next level expensive, many being over 300 years old. Nonetheless well made replicas can sound authentic, and the techniques for playing them are different from those used on modern instruments, which are generally a lot easier to play than period (style) instruments, which lack a lot of conveniences players of modern instruments take for granted, sometimes things as basic as valves on horns. Agreed, mega respect.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and Edgewater
greatlake5 said:
I enjoy visiting Grand Rapids (Michigan) symphony orchestra. There is something about listening music in front of a symphony.
Not sure when you had been there last, but like five years ago they managed to get the ceiling system to work as was originally designed to alter the reflection base on what is occurring on stage. Wow, what a change!!

And yes, listening to music in front of a symphony and especial in a hall that has been tuned is amazing.

• Love
I'm a graduate of an east coast music conservatory and my degree is BM, organ performance major. As a singer, I've performed under Bernstein and Stokowski and others. Now at the end of my life, I get in a couple hours a day of piano practice and at least an hour on organ. I still work part time as a church music director. Needless to say, I've played a few of the Mozart sonatas. My high school piano teacher taught at Juilliard and was on their board of trustees. So yeah, I love Mozart. I especially like his choral music but I also love his piano concertos, string quartets and trio sonatas.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: artemisenterri, egor and PadPhilosopher
GeorgeG said:
Hi, does anybody like Mozart and Rembrandt? Or opera?
I've tried to enjoy/appreciate Opera, but simply cannot. I DO respect and am in awe at the vocal range (And power!) of every Opera Singers' pipes! I just can't sit and 'Enjoy it' for more than a few moments, or perhaps past one/two 'Songs.'
I do have and love 'Classical Music.' No, I'm no expert, I can't begin to recite by memory all the Famous Composers I either have on vinyl (Yes, I'm old), or my various collections of cassettes/C.D.'s (Didn't I mention I'm old?) Of course I'm familiar with a few, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, etc..
Those and the 'Nature Sounds' library I own are what I usually play when reading, writing, sitting at-ease with my pipe. I save the 'Other types' of music for more focused chores/events (Like, Classic Country/Rock) where a faster pulse is required.

:-D

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeG, artemisenterri, dogboy and 1 other person
I think it's difficult to enjoy an entire opera unless you have the labretto. As a young child, I was given both La Boheme and Madame Butterfly and I would follow the labretto as the music played on my record player. I started early..haha.

Reactions: GeorgeG and PadPhilosopher
dogboy said:
I think it's difficult to enjoy an entire opera unless you have the labretto. As a young child, I was given both La Boheme and Madame Butterfly and I would follow the labretto as the music played on my record player. I started early..haha.
When I was a young kid (single digit ages during the bottom half of the 70s and top half of the 80s), my father's stereo ONLY played classical albums (unless I had the opportunity to put a "movie on record" on the turntable, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Disney's Black Hole). One of the main album sets I grew up listening to was titled "Hooked On Classics", a 3 album set. Over the years I've continued to listen to that same set, first transitioning to cassette, then to CD... And I carry all 3 albums, plus 4th that I never knew existed until about 10 years ago (and was done by a different conductor and orchestra) as mp3 files on my phone...

• Celebrate
Reactions: dogboy, GeorgeG and PadPhilosopher
ianwee said:
Very nice - a lot of my favourites, Thank you.

Definitely! Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Puccini, Donizetti ..... and many others too
Great great.

Tine said:
I've tried to enjoy/appreciate Opera, but simply cannot. I DO respect and am in awe at the vocal range (And power!) of every Opera Singers' pipes! I just can't sit and 'Enjoy it' for more than a few moments, or perhaps past one/two 'Songs.'
I do have and love 'Classical Music.' No, I'm no expert, I can't begin to recite by memory all the Famous Composers I either have on vinyl (Yes, I'm old), or my various collections of cassettes/C.D.'s (Didn't I mention I'm old?) Of course I'm familiar with a few, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, etc..
Those and the 'Nature Sounds' library I own are what I usually play when reading, writing, sitting at-ease with my pipe. I save the 'Other types' of music for more focused chores/events (Like, Classic Country/Rock) where a faster pulse is required.

Lovely. Nice that you still use vinyl.

Reactions: Tine and PadPhilosopher
GeorgeG said:
Lovely. Nice that you still use vinyl.
I'm a big believer in the philosophy- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it (Or throw it away)."

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeG and PadPhilosopher
artemisenterri said:
When I was a young kid (single digit ages during the bottom half of the 70s and top half of the 80s), my father's stereo ONLY played classical albums (unless I had the opportunity to put a "movie on record" on the turntable, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Disney's Black Hole). One of the main album sets I grew up listening to was titled "Hooked On Classics", a 3 album set. Over the years I've continued to listen to that same set, first transitioning to cassette, then to CD... And I carry all 3 albums, plus 4th that I never knew existed until about 10 years ago (and was done by a different conductor and orchestra) as mp3 files on my phone...

As a young kid, a family friend gave me a record that had a variety of symphonic pieces and I think I wore it out playing it again and again. I too have a number of CDs with movie music on it. Some of the most beautiful music composed today is in movie soundtracks. I had a choir member ask me why no one composes Romantic music anymore and I said they do. It's found in movie musical scores.

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeG, artemisenterri and PadPhilosopher
Back