Metformin plays me up.

ben0510

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
HI. I'm diabetic type 2 and my diabetic nurse has upped my metformin from one a day to two. {500 mg}. one of the side effects of this is it makes me poo a lot more, and gives me gas. I don't mind having to go a bit more, as long as I'm wearing a nappy at the time. also better if its firm and not too messy. in fact I do quite enjoy having to go in my nappy. the difficult part is when I'm at work, with no nappy, and have to run to the loo at short notice. I would be interested to here from anyone else who suffers the same dilemma.

Reactions: sport1
I take 1000 MG of Metformin twice a day. I have been on this dose for quite a few years. While I do have bowel related issues, I would not call them severe and my primary care physician has said that Metformin is probably not a contributing cause. But, of course, physicians ' opinions will differ.

I'm diapered 24/7. The diaper will usually contain an unexpected bowel movement until I can take care of it. I suppose I'm fortunate. At my age (76), full-time diaper wearing seems to be judged as more to be expected than in younger people.

• Wow
Reactions: checkingoutall and sport1
Freddie07601 said:
I take 1000 MG of Metformin twice a day. I have been on this dose for quite a few years. While I do have bowel related issues, I would not call them severe and my primary care physician has said that Metformin is probably not a contributing cause. But, of course, physicians ' opinions will differ.
I too take 2000 mg/day, which my doc says is the maximum daily dose. I've been taking it in Janumet form (Januvia + Metformin), which my doc says does not cause diarrhea. But I beg to differ!
1654167624793.png
About a year before I was diagnosed with urinary IC, I did have one accident at the office with a bowel release. Thankfully no one was there at the time. Since then, I've had a few more BM accidents, but I manage it as best as I can. For example, I've had to be careful with coffee intake. I have also discovered that apple cider does not like me (something I did enjoy).

Metformin has the opposite effect with me it makes me constipated.

I'm on Metformin as well (I'm currently doing 1500mg/day) and it provides good control. I am not bowel incontinent/just a bed wetter. My problem is that Metformin is unpredictable on my bowels: most of the time, no reactions at all/just normal; once in a while, randomly, diarrhea hits until I am cleaned out completely. Then back to normal... So far no uncontrollable accidents, just two/three trips to the bathroom closely spaced--and the feeling of being "totally pooped out (pun intended)." I just live with it.

diaperbobby said:
I'm on Metformin as well (I'm currently doing 1500mg/day) and it provides good control. I am not bowel incontinent/just a bed wetter. My problem is that Metformin is unpredictable on my bowels: most of the time, no reactions at all/just normal; once in a while, randomly, diarrhea hits until I am cleaned out completely. Then back to normal... So far no uncontrollable accidents, just two/three trips to the bathroom closely spaced--and the feeling of being "totally pooped out (pun intended)." I just live with it.
That's pretty much my experience except that I have to be careful about getting access to that toilet in case I lose control. But coffee and apple cider are also factors. I hate losing my coffee!

metformin also messes with your blood counts, anemia which I have

Freddie07601 said:

I'm diapered 24/7. The diaper will usually contain an unexpected bowel movement until I can take care of it. I suppose I'm fortunate. At my age (76), full-time diaper wearing seems to be judged as more to be expected than in younger people.
I 'am also a diabetic and take 1000 twice a day which has resulted in bowel accidents. I 'am now diapered 24/7.

sport1 said:
I 'am also a diabetic and take 1000 twice a day which has resulted in bowel accidents. I 'am now diapered 24/7.
thats what i take cut back to 1 low RBC plus other side affects never had bowel issues from that

I stopped the poop problem by taking a tablespoon of fermented food each day. Sauerkraut or Korean kimchi. Whole Foods has a great selection but is out of the way for me.

I take 1000 mg of metformin daily to counteract the weight gain from seroquel. So far its making it much easier to lose pounds. I too had similar issues with bowel stuff but i wear 24/7 despite not being ic so i sort of welcome the change. Its not as frequent though as it was and i find that upping my protein intake solved the diarhea issue. I take 500mg in the morning and 500 at night. Metformin also has anti aging properties in younger people like me, so thats a plus.

Last edited:
I was on 4000MG metformin a day and just about 800MG of seroquel and miserable as ever. Under the guidance of my doctor and medication management I was able to taper down both medications with success. Lost 20 pounds. Oh I don't miss metformin with the constant gas and stomach issues.

Last edited:
Currently down to 200mg Seroquel at night, even 300mg was making it impossible to lose weight even when on 20mg of vyvanse each morning, it did prevent me from gaining too much as easily. Metformin was the best option as any other antipsychotic except seroquel has never worked on me and the only antipsychotic I havn't tried was abilify. at 300mg I also had my motivation plummet and had anhedonia, which both are gone now that my dosage was lowered. I've also managed to lose more pounds since then.
SweetheartPanda said:
I was on 4000MG metformin a day and just about 800MG of seroquel and miserable as ever. Under the guidance of my doctor and medication management I was able to taper down both medications with success. Lost 20 pounds. Oh I don't miss metformin with the constant gas and stomach issues.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I hadn't realized that so many of us are taking Metformin, and that it affects us in so many different ways. Thank you all.

Back