Made the switch to full time Pullups

AUG168

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I finally had it with the leaking and dealing with pads. I also have some occasional fecal incontinence too.

My journey started a year ago. I was told I had prostate cancer but after the biopsy it was determined to be scarring from prostatitis. I have BPH that causes leaking and bouts of OAB.

I got tired of pads leaking and insufficient night time coverage. I'm using Tena Protective Underwear and Tena Flex for traveling.

I still use the bathroom as much as possible and intend to continue to do so. The flex does the job for traveling and I'm going to try the Prevail Air as well.

Anyway it feels good to not worry anymore. It's very freeing. My GF does not like it but hopefully that will change.

• Wow
Reactions: Lethdale and Fleetwoodmac32192
When it was obvious that I was IC, I went directly to pull-ups. My wife got me guards, but I was never comfortable with them staying in place etc. I didn't waste time with pads either. Then she suggested that I didn't need to do pull-ups all the time, which is true, but I didn't like having to plan ahead and change when I was about to go out etc.

So I just wore pull-ups every day and wore a more absorbent pull-up when I knew I was going to be away for longer (like Saturday mornings when I do my errands and shopping). This has paid off because there were times when I would have an unexpected accident. Traffic, or stuck in a drive thru for take out for too long, on the phone too long, etc. Even at home, we have one bathroom and sometimes the bathroom is occupied when I urgently needed it. It is reassuring to not have to pee yourself publicly!

I sometimes wear the Tena Flex when I want to air out some, or if I can't get my Tena Ultimate Extra pull-ups on sale (these are about the same cost). The only problem I have with the Flex is that because it feels more like a diaper, I sometimes tend to use it as a diaper rather than make the trip to the toilet (my bad).

My wife was not very accepting in the beginning. It took longer for her own acceptance than my own I think. But in time and the fact that I accidentally wet the bed a few times, has brought her to the point of acceptance. I now wear the Tena Super brief for overnight with plastic pants. I do wear PJs over the diaper, which helps to maintain some semblance of dignity, rather than be in your face about it. Initially I wanted her to know what was going on but it was all too much information. She was happier when I didn't keep bringing it up. She will ask if she wants to know something. So now she knows and trusts that I will wear what I need to, to manage my own IC.

I started to have IC when I took an older relative out shopping. I was horrified at the thought of peeing myself in the checkout line (which I barely avoided). So at one point it was my wife who had suggested that I needed to wear a diaper when I went out. But I guess she didn't expect me to take that advice seriously.

A week later, I mustered the courage and bought my first package of adult pull-ups (I don't remember what they were, some unisex thing). Anyway, when it was time to go shopping again, I was standing in the bedroom holding the white pull-up diaper in my hand for her to notice when she walked in. Then I could discuss why because I didn't want her to think I was some kind of DL. But she didn't notice! She finished our conversation and was walking out of the room while I held this white diaper in my hand. At that point I had to just blurt it out -- "I'm going to put on my diaper and go shopping this afternoon!"

That, got her attention. :eek:

Then I showed her the what and why and things were ok afterwards. The main issues after that was she wanted me to try guards etc. This was also before the doctor concluded that I had nerve damage from years of diabetes. Once the doc said it was IC, then she was more relaxed about it, but full acceptance took longer.

This is just a long true story to relate that your GF's acceptance may take a while and requires patience.

Reactions: Lethdale, Fleetwoodmac32192, Napincolove and 1 other person
JoeRelax said:
I can relate to your situation, when I had my spinal injury many years ago, I had to start wearing. At first my wife was very worried and kinda resistant to me needing to wear diapers, but as time went by, she became more supportive and understanding. From what i've been reading over the years on many forums, it seems GFs and wives are the most resistant to one wearing , why ? I don' t know. its not like diapers are going to hurt anyone, its just an observation I have made over the years, I appologize in advance if this offends anyone.
Yeah, this kinda struck me sideways, too. I don’t understand how partners can’t accept a medical condition that needs management. What’s the alternative? Clamp your penis and/or plug your butt? Why yes to guards, but no to more effective products? By the same token, we don’t tell women not to use maxi pads or tampons and use menstrual cups instead. It’s no one else’s business, even if they’re your partner.

If this is about their image of you, it’s really their problem. I don’t think it’s okay for them to exert this kind of control, even if it’s withholding “acceptance”.

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
JoeRelax said:
I can relate to your situation, when I had my spinal injury many years ago, I had to start wearing. At first my wife was very worried and kinda resistant to me needing to wear diapers, but as time went by, she became more supportive and understanding. From what i've been reading over the years on many forums, it seems GFs and wives are the most resistant to one wearing , why ? I don' t know. its not like diapers are going to hurt anyone, its just an observation I have made over the years, I appologize in advance if this offends anyone.
I don't have the answers either, but just a couple of impressions:
  1. We raised 3 children, so she's done the whole diapers for babies (now grandchildren) thing.
  2. The traditional thinking that diapers are only for children
  3. -or- that real men don't wear diapers.
I get #3. I struggled with this myself. But over time I've managed to get to the point of "it's only a diaper".

• Love
Reactions: Lethdale, Freddie07601, Angelapinks and 1 other person
JoeRelax said:
I will support my wife no matter what medical or absorbant products she needs, just like it says, Together and support one another in good times and bad times period.
I see what you did there...

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Thanks everyone for your replies. Life is much easier, gf will have to adjust or not.

Back